PDA

View Full Version : My arms just got really really weak.

DefeXion
14-09-2007, 09:37 PM
or should I say my power steering died yesterday /duh. The Legnum is now once again stranded on my driveway.

Does anybody know what could have gone wrong. I believe the problem will be down near (if not on) the steering rack. When it went, I heard a loud hiss like gas escaping from something, but I though power steering was oil driven?

Kieran
15-09-2007, 07:41 PM
Yeah, the power steering is oil driven. There is however a Vaccuum/pressure feed that alters the engine idle (it's called the engine 'idle up' valve) that affects the P/S system when you're still and you turn the wheel. I wonder if there's an issue there?

The Idle up valve has two vacuum hoses going to it, and is located to the left of the front bank timing belt cover, just under (roughly) the front turbo flexi. If you heard a 'hiss' it might be that, possibly, maybe?!:inquisiti

Is your belt okay? Not slipping or anything?

Gly
15-09-2007, 11:17 PM
i had it happen in my ST when i first got it...
continued driving, and it cured itself by the time i got home?

maybe its sucked some air into the system??

DefeXion
16-09-2007, 04:26 AM
It did feel like it was getting better. If I drive in high rpm, the power steering is ok enough to get from a to b, but when it's stopped, it's impossible.

Gly
16-09-2007, 06:40 AM
is the power steering fluid full??

Subaru ETA
16-09-2007, 08:16 AM
try taking the ps resivoir cap off and turning the wheel lock to lock while the front wheels are lifted off the ground. if there is air in the system it will buble and will start sucking it through. just dont let it run dry tho

DefeXion
19-09-2007, 01:58 AM
Fluid was full. Turned out this was caused by a seized release valve somewhere. Mechanic didn't have time to point it out, so I will read over the invoice and see if I can find the culprit valve.

Car's driving well again now.