PDA

View Full Version : auto box

kookie
16-09-2007, 10:44 PM
I took car to auto centre to check noise in gearbox, he took it for a drive and altough he could hear the whine he said not to worry about it but it could be the torque converter in which case it would cost around £600.00. He couldn't find anything wrong and said that everything is working as it should, he has a VR4 so should know all about them. still doesn't get rid of the noise though.

RugbyPete
17-09-2007, 07:23 AM
get some 2nd hand car warranty, just in case.

bradc
17-09-2007, 09:12 AM
either sell it or pray your mechanical warranty covers it (if you have one)

Nick Mann
17-09-2007, 05:42 PM
I have been in several autos with a whine. AFAIK they are all going strong so far.

Kieran
17-09-2007, 11:11 PM
I have been in several autos with a whine. AFAIK they are all going strong so far.

Yeah, I wouldn't loose too much sleep. Two years after I got her from Nick, Ariadne still fine. I believe that regular, attentive servicing is the key - With the Autobox that means inspecting the fluid with every engine oil change at least and changing the fluid and filters at the first sign of the fluid starting to burn up.:scholar:

Just one thing to watch, the FWD autoboxes are known for stripping the splines on the torque convertor & input shaft. However, experience on here suggests that this is a spontaneous failure and unlike the manual gearboxes, a whine isn't a giveaway symptom that the 'box is about to die.

HMG1K
17-09-2007, 11:36 PM
That's good to know - so as long as the auto gearbox oil is clean and up to the correct level there's no need to change it every 4,500 miles..? I'm going to be doing 8,000 a year in mine...

Also with the autoboxes stripping the splines on the torque convertor and input shaft - is that just a potential hassle to watch for on th FWD or does it apply to the VR4 4WD boxes?

Having never owned an auto before - I'm trying to get up to speed fast on the essentials! :scholar:

Eurospec
18-09-2007, 08:20 AM
Personally i've not heard of spline strippage in the VR4, but the fwd fto box which is similar will do it. It tends to rip the splines out of the torque converter.

If it does it is a sudden thing and you know about it!

I often think the whine you sometimes hear is the xfr box. It was on my pink vr4.

Cheers,

Ben.

Kieran
18-09-2007, 10:37 AM
Personally i've not heard of spline strippage in the VR4, but the fwd fto box which is similar will do it. It tends to rip the splines out of the torque converter.

Same here. In fact I would not be surprised if the FWD gearbox in the FTO is the same as the one in the Galants - F4A42?

Yeah, the splines letting go is a GLS/V6 problem, not heard of it on the VR-4 before.

And regarding changes.... The Mitsubishi recommended interval is 45,000 miles. This is FAR, FAR too long. You're best off changing the fluid as and when it needs to be done. That means inspection with every oil change and as soon as it's no longer a fresh, ruby red colour. As it dies it will go more opaque and turn an orangey colour (worn), followed by increasingly murky shades of brown (Change!) and finally black (Bad! Really bad!)

kookie
20-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Haven' done more than 1000k since an amsoil change but the noise was there before, problem is i don't really know when it started, an old git like me can't remember, i now don't have ZeeZeeTop playing sooohh loud just so i can hear what it is doing.

kookie
17-10-2007, 09:43 PM
Just done another 1000 miles and whine still there, no better no worse but is annoying me now, may will start thinking about a change.

Kieran
17-10-2007, 09:53 PM
Are your engine and gearbox mountings okay?

kookie
17-10-2007, 11:41 PM
Hi Kieran, yes as far as i know, the auto guy took it for a drive and said all was working well, he has just sold a VR4 and got an RVR turbo so seems to know all about them, said not to worry but of course i do , i just don't like the noise, can only hear it with the window down though, do you think the mountings would make the box whine?? PS its only on acceleration not deceleration or idling

Kenneth
18-10-2007, 01:18 AM
Not your tyres is it? I had something similar once, and in the end it was just a difference in the tyres (had different ones put on)

pitslayer
18-10-2007, 12:42 PM
look on the bright side least your gearbox doesnt have a hole in it :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

kookie
18-10-2007, 03:41 PM
ooops how did that happen??

kookie
18-10-2007, 03:42 PM
Not your tyres is it? I had something similar once, and in the end it was just a difference in the tyres (had different ones put on)

Don't think so but worth a look, thanks

pitslayer
18-10-2007, 04:30 PM
its called letting a gearbox rebuild your gearbox for £500, then it failing internally something smashing through the case.payingthem £200 to fix it, and then it failing .....again with another hole in the gearbox

The Vee
19-10-2007, 12:56 PM
Hi Kieran, yes as far as i know, the auto guy took it for a drive and said all was working well, he has just sold a VR4 and got an RVR turbo so seems to know all about them, said not to worry but of course i do , i just don't like the noise, can only hear it with the window down though, do you think the mountings would make the box whine?? PS its only on acceleration not deceleration or idling

So only when under load and from outside (window open) Take it it's not the turbos you can hear? But I'm just wondering if Benh is onto something with the transfer box. It only holds a little oil, but have you changed/ checked the level in there?

White Lightning
19-10-2007, 01:35 PM
So only when under load and from outside (window open) Take it it's not the turbos you can hear? But I'm just wondering if Benh is onto something with the transfer box. It only holds a little oil, but have you changed/ checked the level in there?

Turbo (singular) - Kookie has a gdi estate.

White Lightning
19-10-2007, 01:37 PM
In fact, I actually don't know if that is a turbo diesel or not ... /pan

In fact, is it a petrol .... :inquisiti

Think I'll just get back to work!

The Vee
19-10-2007, 01:49 PM
Doh/pan /pan Think I'm off to work too.
Didn't notice it is a GDI

kookie
19-10-2007, 06:38 PM
No, no turbo, and it is petrol but some days sounds like a diesel although today it was very quite except for the whine,which is going to take some explaining when i come to sell it,saying that i have just seen a sdvert for a saloon GDI, same mileage as mine for £3.999.00 and yep i have just started to look for something to replace it