PDA

View Full Version : Brakes

djdime
18-09-2007, 09:30 AM
Hi guys,

I have just been quoted £311.37 for blueprint discs and pads all round.

Is this a good deal?

WildCards
18-09-2007, 09:37 AM
Could you break that down dj, how much for the front/rear discs and pads?

Camskill prices are as follows:

Standard front discs: £140
Standard rear discs: £125
Ferodo DS2500 front pads: £84
Standard rear pads: £28

Total: £377.

So, for an extra £66 you'll get uprated front pads, which you'll love once you've got them.

N.B. Standard front pads from Camskill are £22, which brings the total to £315.

djdime
18-09-2007, 09:48 AM
ok

this is exc VAT

£17.00 for full axel set of front pads
£48.00 per disc for fronts
£26.00 for full axel set of rear pads
£63.00 per disc for rears

then VAT

WildCards
18-09-2007, 09:52 AM
I suppose it's up to you, £3.63 difference between Camskill and your supplier for the boggo stuff, but for £66 extra I really would recommend the DS2500 pads increased stopping power, pedal feel and peace of mind.

You might even be able to outbrake Dereck once you have them fitted :p

djdime
18-09-2007, 09:58 AM
Well my car is still for sale so the ferrodo's are probably wasted money ( for me mind, not a buyer ;) ) Also, i was thinking about this on the way home, If i DID keep the car but didnt really do anything to increase performance, would i even need the extra stopping power?

WildCards
18-09-2007, 12:02 PM
It's a tough one considering your selling, but could arguably increase the cars appeal to potential buyers, it's one less thing they'll have to do after all.

The ability to stop the car in the shortest distance possible is beneficial whether you drive the car quickly or not, whether it has 80hp or 280hp is irrelevant I think. Most people would agree that the standard brakes are not up to the job, they overheat very quickly, and while the DS2500's will still suffer fade from repeated heavy braking, they'll stop you alot quicker during normal everyday driving and the occasional emergency stop.

Kenneth
18-09-2007, 10:50 PM
Standard pads are not very good at even moderately high speed. You would be well served to get some better pads at least.

Kieran
19-09-2007, 12:53 AM
Agree with steve and Kenneth - The standard pad compound is hopeless and won't impress a buyer if they try a stop from 'A-Road' speeds a time or two. Even a set of Greenstuffs would be some improvement - and at £45ish they wont break the bank - I paid £32 for a set of OE compound Mintex pads - and promptly incinerated them on track!!/pan

d i c k i e s
19-09-2007, 01:00 AM
On the topic of brakes...

what do you recommend for the legnums? (brake pads)

Both front and rear! and where?

Nevman
19-09-2007, 01:23 AM
Agreed with the above. Ferodo is a very good stuff. It's four times more expensive than the standard pads but worth every penny. IMHO that the best street / everyday use pads money can buy.
They were my first "mod" /Devil5 when I've bought the car and I consider it as a money well spent.

Kenneth
19-09-2007, 02:29 AM
On the topic of brakes...

what do you recommend for the legnums? (brake pads)

Both front and rear! and where?

If you don't mind cleaning your wheels fairly often (or you clean your car regularly enough anyway) then I recommend the Silerline Plus pads from REPCO. were $45 for a front set when I last got them.

Create a fair bit of brake dust, but stop really really well. - Can get the ABS going at over 200kph and will still work with the brakes glowing red hot. This statement is from experience... on a private track of course

d i c k i e s
19-09-2007, 02:46 AM
sounds good to me.. Yeah clean car every fortnight.

http://repco.co.nz/services/3.html <---- bottom of the page.

I think i just need some new pads aye? dont knowy why... i just do.

Kenneth
19-09-2007, 03:16 AM
sounds good to me.. Yeah clean car every fortnight.

http://repco.co.nz/services/3.html <---- bottom of the page.

I think i just need some new pads aye? dont knowy why... i just do.

Yep, thats it :)

GroundControl
19-09-2007, 05:49 AM
I got some Ferodo ones on the front and Mintex on the back (or was it vice-versa?) before my last track day at Taupo and was very impressed with them. The original pads fade very quickly after a few stops but these ones kept on going strong all day (I think I did about 150km's on the track that day). So good in fact that I warped a brand new set of discs instead /pan

Only downsides for me are (as mentioned) copious amounts of brake dust and squealing at low speeds, but that's more than made up for by the stopping power.

djdime
24-09-2007, 11:31 AM
so is it decided then - the best "budget" setup standard discs n pads on the rear and standard discs and ds500's up front?

WildCards
24-09-2007, 03:38 PM
so is it decided then - the best "budget" setup standard discs n pads on the rear and standard discs and ds500's up front?

Yup, will make a marked improvement without bursting your wallet.

unclepete
30-09-2007, 06:20 PM
I was just about to start a new thread but it looks like I don't need to. My brakes are (already) totally screwed. It did have some grooved discs on but have been pretty dire since I got them anyhow.

Right, I need the Ferrodo DS2500s and I presume Camskill is where everyone goes so that's the pads sorted. Can anyone recommend some discs that would be a lot better than my current brake setup?

Braided hoses - what's the cost for these?

Bear in mind I want my car to look pretty standard - 16" wheels will remain (also means I can get some fantastic tyres for both winter and summer at much cheapness).

I appreciate any help you can give (again!).

Pete

psbarham
30-09-2007, 06:35 PM
i've just ordered a set of mintex grooved for mine, they were 180 quid delivered and are highly rated on the MLR especially when mated to the carbotech xp8 pads which i have fitted already, i got a full set of braided hoses from brakes4u.co.uk for about 50 quid