PDA

View Full Version : ecu remap/reflash.

spm01
18-09-2007, 09:56 AM
i have been offered a remap/reflash of the standard ecu for my leggy but when i inquired into who does them etc the guy was not too forth coming with the info.
is there a remap/reflash out there that people know of? or are there too many to mention?
it is something that i would like to have but would like to hear other peoples views on remaps for the legnum. i had one on my old civic and it was great but if people have had problems with remaps i would like to know.

Nick VR4
18-09-2007, 10:02 AM
I may be wrong here but I'm sure I read in here that you can't remap / reflush the ECU :speechles

I think its a piggy back ECU added

You could try searching for ECU

Nick Mann
18-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Altered fuel is a good thing on VR4s, they tend to run quite rich!

But a remap on a standard ecu is not possible. From what I understand, the ecu will take it, but only until you turn the ignition off, at which point it reverts back to its normal settings. Someone on here has tried it, at a place in Bromsgrove, Worcestershire. It didn't work.

Beastlee
18-09-2007, 06:30 PM
Ou of interest does adding an ECU help improve economy? Given how rich the cars run surely adding the piggy back ECUs would pay for themselves if they can reduce the wasted fuel and therefore increase economy......assuming you don't use the ECU for more /rally.

I'm looking at the Profec EBC with the option to add in the ECU afterwards.

stuartturbo
18-09-2007, 07:10 PM
But a remap on a standard ecu is not possible. From what I understand, the ecu will take it, but only until you turn the ignition off, at which point it reverts back to its normal settings. Someone on here has tried it, at a place in Bromsgrove, Worcestershire. It didn't work.

It is possible but not in the standard remap way the Chip would need to be removed from the board and the entered this way
So not very user friendly but iff you had a face lift you could reflash that into a preface lift providing chips are the same. Or even some off the Mines ?? ecu

Gowf
18-09-2007, 08:12 PM
Ou of interest does adding an ECU help improve economy? Given how rich the cars run surely adding the piggy back ECUs would pay for themselves if they can reduce the wasted fuel and therefore increase economy......assuming you don't use the ECU for more /rally.

I'm looking at the Profec EBC with the option to add in the ECU afterwards.

It all depends on how you drive it and how it is mapped.

For example, some people do run a very lean mixture at cruise, even though stoicometric is 14.7. If this 'cruise map' ( to put it simply) is somewhat of a knife edge (giving you the 14.7 on cruise only, and rapidly richening up when you slightly increase engine load) then as long as you drive it accordinly then you should have some good economy. But what you have to remember is that the factory ecu when in closed loop mode does try and shoot for 14.7 anyway.

Certainly on full chat though you will be using less fuel,as long as your retaining the same quantity of air used, ie same quantity of boost, than you would have been with standard fueling. afr's of around 9 have been seen for the VR4 at the top end, which is what kills that top end power.

Dont know if any of that made any sense, im quite tired and hungry.... i feel a quality fast food establishment calling!

spm01
19-09-2007, 08:20 AM
thanks for all the replies people, so it looks like it is not possible for a remap of the standard ecu.
i will try and get some more info out of him and see if he will tell me what chip/remap it is.

is there a certain piggy back ecu i should stay well clear of or are they pretty much ok which ever one it is??

Nick Mann
19-09-2007, 09:46 AM
There isn't much to choose between piggy backs. Just the price. I have a unichip and it does its job well enough. If I started again now, I would seriously consider a MAP2.

If you search on here for emanange, map2, unichip etc, you should get a lot of feedback. Many people are running ecus of one sort or another.

spm01
19-09-2007, 06:26 PM
There isn't much to choose between piggy backs. Just the price. I have a unichip and it does its job well enough. If I started again now, I would seriously consider a MAP2.

If you search on here for emanange, map2, unichip etc, you should get a lot of feedback. Many people are running ecus of one sort or another.

:thumbsup:
cheers

phosty
26-09-2007, 06:24 PM
It is possible but not in the standard remap way the Chip would need to be removed from the board and the entered this way
So not very user friendly but iff you had a face lift you could reflash that into a preface lift providing chips are the same. Or even some off the Mines ?? ecu

Do you mean extracting a facelift chip from the ecu board, copying it with a chip reader/flasher, then rewriting it's dump to the chip from a prefacelift?

If so, you would have done all the hard part anyway - aren't there some guys on the OpenECU forum that have already dumped the VR4 ecu chip?

http://forums.openecu.org/viewtopic.php?t=1303&highlight=6a13tt

If you could edit this data before writing it back to the chip (or maybe a rewriteable version of it with Pin-to-Pin compatability) then you would be there. But the last time I checked the OpenECU forum the VR4 chip dump had not been decoded to be readable in ECUFlash.

stuartturbo
26-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Do you mean extracting a facelift chip from the ecu board, copying it with a chip reader/flasher, then rewriting it's dump to the chip from a prefacelift?

If so, you would have done all the hard part anyway - aren't there some guys on the OpenECU forum that have already dumped the VR4 ecu chip?

http://forums.openecu.org/viewtopic.php?t=1303&highlight=6a13tt

If you could edit this data before writing it back to the chip (or maybe a rewriteable version of it with Pin-to-Pin compatability) then you would be there. But the last time I checked the OpenECU forum the VR4 chip dump had not been decoded to be readable in ECUFlash.

Yes that is it. I have not done it but i believe others have.
If you knew what each point did and change it but to map this is not practical, as you would change points refit check remove mod refit

AderC
26-09-2007, 08:54 PM
Latest version of ECUflash can be used to dump the VR-4 ROM, but does not yet support reflash for the H8/500 processor. Reflash IS possible (the Russian VR-4 club have done it) but Colby is still working on ironing out some bugs before enabling the reflash for our ECU's in ECUflash.

Screenshots of my freshly dumped pre-facelift ROM can be downloaded here (http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/aclacher/files/VR-4_ROM_screenshots.zip)

Would be useful to get hold of a facelift ROM to compare the maps.

aDe

stuartturbo
26-09-2007, 08:59 PM
I would like one to try but not got the wedge to do it apparently the face lift is better

Nutter_John
26-09-2007, 09:05 PM
You at Japshow , as you can have a dump of my rom if you want , would be good to compare the differences

Nick Mann
26-09-2007, 09:08 PM
You are welcome to read mine if/when the opportunity arises. But I kind of need it...!

AderC
26-09-2007, 11:04 PM
Yes I'm at Japshow. Will bring laptop and cable so I can suck the lifeblood from a facelift.

aDe

Kieran
26-09-2007, 11:13 PM
Yes I'm at Japshow. Will bring laptop and cable so I can suck the lifeblood from a facelift.

aDe

Lookout, it's Count Adeula, the Data Vampire! /Devil5

Nutter_John
26-09-2007, 11:17 PM
looking forward to seeing the two maps together

Eurospec
26-09-2007, 11:51 PM
I'd be fascinated to see the difference. I think the facelift has a little more timing, but its just a feeling!

Cheers,

Ben.

bradc
27-09-2007, 08:51 AM
I don't know the differences, but the facelift is rated at 0.5kgm more torque, and is just better!

phosty
27-09-2007, 01:05 PM
A quote from the ozvr4.com forum:

The 20hp is loss is just a slightly lower amount of boost, it is easy to put up the boost and regain all of that and more

Is is that simple or is there more to it than that?

They also discuss the Haltech Interceptor which I have also been reading up on too as a possible alternative to the mapecu2:

http://www.haltech.com.au/ecu_comp.htm

Only has 16x18 load sites though compared to 20x19 on the mapecu2. The local tuner here in Aberdeen (Japerformance) deal in Haltech ecu's.

Nick Mann
27-09-2007, 02:09 PM
Several people who have played with both have noted a 'flat spot' on the pre-facelift which is not on the post facelift. I think there is more to the 20 bhp than just the boost, but I can't say that for sure. Certainly, once you have a boost controller and fuel controller, there is no discernable difference.

Give us a couple of weeks - AderC is looking at downloading info from both ecus to compare.

orionn2o
01-10-2007, 03:22 PM
I've joined this thread quite late but i'm quite interested in this.

I have a fair bit of experience with Flashable ICs and the latter and was going to say it's never impossible to change the map of the standard ecu. It may need to be replaced possibly if its a OTP design or an EPROM may need to be replaced as the standard loader. Just need to know the chip number.

I dont know enough about the chipsets of the car but nothing in electronics is impossible.