PDA

View Full Version : Seperating the transfer box from the gearbox?

Rally205
18-09-2007, 12:46 PM
How do you seperate the transfer box from the gearbox? I have removed all of the bolts and the transfer box has seperated by about 15-20mm but won't come off completely. Is it just a case of brute force and pry it off or is there a circlip or something holding the shaft in it?

Cheers
Marcus

Nutter_John
18-09-2007, 01:02 PM
Just keep prying it off , can be a real pia but it will come off

Davezj
18-09-2007, 01:24 PM
there are some posts about using long threaded bolts through the threaded holes in the trasfer case and whind it of like that. need to search for it.

Nick Mann
18-09-2007, 02:34 PM
Yep - easiest way is to jack it off using bolts inserted the wrong way through the threaded holes.

mpau009
18-09-2007, 07:33 PM
Try this thread http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22914&highlight=remove+transfer

I have just done this using the technique Nick suggested, and it works great, takes a little while to get the top bolt in since you cant really get a socket on it, but hey..

the bolts you need to push the transfer case off, are M12, 60 x 1.25mm threaded right through, worked a treat. 60mm might be fractionally too long, certainly any longer and it will be too tight, but those are what worked for me.

tighten them in evenly until there is a crack, or you are fairly sure it is out past the clip, and then back the bolts off, and you can slide out the transfer case.

Rally205
20-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Thanks guys. An 8ft scaffold pole works well too!!!

Eurospec
21-09-2007, 08:33 AM
First time we did an evo we found this exact problem.

You remove al the xfr box bolts and it comes off a bit then gets stuck.

Whats holding it is the sprung clip on the end of the output shaft.

Easyest way we found is to insert a bolt into the end of the shaft through the passenger wheel well and use a slight hammer to gently pull the shaft out.

Presto, the xfr box will now come off no problems.

Make sure the box is still held by one bolt at least when you do this, otherwise yo will end up dropping it when the shaft comes out.

Cheers,

Ben.