PDA

View Full Version : Hot wheels

Jerry Shaw
18-09-2007, 05:56 PM
I know worn wheel bearings are prone to making the wheels hot but would sticky calipers do the same?

The guy I got the car from says he changed the pads / discs not long before he sold it, so is there something he may have re-assembled incorrectly or are the calipers known to get sticky or seize?

I have had a quick look around and there seems to be uncertainty about the changing of wheel bearings.

Just as a general nosey on the web, this place sells wheel bearing kits.

http://www.japarts.co.uk/shop/index.php?sh=search&make=6&model=GALANT%202.0i%2016v&vehicle_iid=669&search=1

Are they as much of a pig to do as I have read?

I ask as there is an occasional clunk / grind / knock from the O/S when I brake.

There is also a strange "squeek" from that side aswell thats there all the time. Its a bit like the creak / squeek of new shoes, lol, the ones you put on your feet I mean, lol

Nick Mann
18-09-2007, 08:00 PM
The creaking could well be the ball joint. A known weakness, and worthy of a free replacement from Mitsubishi unless it has been done since the recall.

The wheels will get hot from brakes and braking. If both front wheels are the same temperature, then I wouldn't worry.

Wheel bearings can be fitted to the hub, but it's not so easy. If you go to Mitsubishi, they will sell you a complete hub assembly.

Jerry Shaw
18-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Thanks. Yes both wheels do feel the same temperature.

What do I need to ring Mitsubishi with? Chassis number for a guess.

The car started off in the Aylesbury area then went to Oldham 2 months ago and now its in Scunny. Is thier info on recall work nationwide?

And bearing in mind that the car is nearly 10 years old, what are my chances?

Paul Beazer
19-09-2007, 01:08 PM
The recall info is worldwide! If it has or hasnt had the recall work done then it will be on the recall database. Might take a bit of prodding, but the dealership can normally find out for you!