PDA

View Full Version : Manual Boost controller

MPBVr4
20-09-2007, 12:27 PM
Just weighing up pro's and cons of EBC over Manual BC.

Just been reading this http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13967.

There is no mention here of disconnecting the stock solenoid valve as recommended in various installation instructions, specifically Turbosmart Boost Tee. (I note that "Aderc" had good results with this one). Any ideas?:inquisiti

Nutter_John
20-09-2007, 01:25 PM
don't think you want to disconnect the solenoid as it still controls the boost a little

Personally I would only advocate the use of a EBC due to the better control of boost

But if I was going to go for a decent EBC I would look at paying the extra money and get a mapecu2

Mark 4
20-09-2007, 05:39 PM
I drove around with the manual turbosmart valve for about 18 months. It is fine but now I've got Greddy E01 and there is no way I would go back. The greddy is fiddly to set up but the controllability is very good. My car now holds 13psi all the way to the red line. The difference in performance is astonishing.
Go for it Malc. :happy:

Kieran
20-09-2007, 05:48 PM
Mark - Are you still on a standard fuel pump at that pressure?

Mark 4
21-09-2007, 07:50 PM
Yes, and the AFR's are fine. But I do have an uprated pump and FPR that I will hopefully get around to fitting soon. Even with 75hp of Nos the pump is still providing enough to be silly rich.

bradc
21-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Uc was running 19psi on the stock fuel pump, only 14psi at the redline though.

Mark 4
22-10-2007, 10:54 PM
Brad, how did he get 19psi without fuel cut ?

Kenneth
22-10-2007, 10:58 PM
Brad, how did he get 19psi without fuel cut ?

He has an after market standalone ECU.

bradc
22-10-2007, 11:01 PM
just like me, and I'm running about the same amount of boost

Mark 4
22-10-2007, 11:03 PM
Aha, can this not be achieved with a piggyback ?

bradc
22-10-2007, 11:07 PM
not really, or not very well.

Kenneth
22-10-2007, 11:31 PM
not really, or not very well.

Why not?

HMG1K
22-10-2007, 11:32 PM
Complete turn-around - but is it easy to UN-install a boost box system..? There's one in the dash of the VR4 I am getting and don't want a booster. Is it straight forward unplugging of the box in the dash or is there more to it..?

There could be a booster box for sale soon if so! Sussing if I can do it or get the dealer.

bradc
23-10-2007, 02:55 AM
because a lot of piggy backs will only let you adjust the boost and or fuelling within a certain range

Kenneth
23-10-2007, 03:18 AM
because a lot of piggy backs will only let you adjust the boost and or fuelling within a certain range

A simple boost controller will settle the boost control side, you just need to adjust the fuel correctly. I wouldn't be surprised if you could do with with a very basic AFC.

You might actually get close on the standard ECU... I believe Carsten can get 16PSI with the setup he has now, which is over-fueling by a considerable amount.

bradc
23-10-2007, 03:28 AM
they can't really adjust the fuel cut point though, that is still held in the ecu. While you can adjust the signal to suit, there are certain limitations to the amount you can adjust it by

Kenneth
23-10-2007, 03:32 AM
they can't really adjust the fuel cut point though, that is still held in the ecu. While you can adjust the signal to suit, there are certain limitations to the amount you can adjust it by

That is true, but we don't know that limitation because no one seems to have seen just what they can take it too. If I get the galant up and running ill have a go though ;)

Nick Mann
23-10-2007, 01:53 PM
You can just get a boost cut defender, if you have a piggy back ecu and boost controller. As long as you set it up right, there is no problem? And a lot cheaper than stand alone management.

MPBVr4
23-10-2007, 04:22 PM
Complete turn-around - but is it easy to UN-install a boost box system..? There's one in the dash of the VR4 I am getting and don't want a booster. Is it straight forward unplugging of the box in the dash or is there more to it..?

There could be a booster box for sale soon if so! Sussing if I can do it or get the dealer.

As this car is ex Nev Groom I think you have a Greddy Profec B Spec 2. If the unit isn't plumbed into to manifold etc it's just matter of disconnecting the electrics. However, you may still have a full install but the controller is turned off in which case you will get standard boost. As far as taking the whole lot out
you can do it yourself. Just follow the reverse of "Bernmc" write up.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26996&highlight=boost+controller

timiano
23-10-2007, 05:03 PM
You can just get a boost cut defender, if you have a piggy back ecu and boost controller. As long as you set it up right, there is no problem? And a lot cheaper than stand alone management.

I like the sound of that. That'll be on the list of things to do.

Nick Mann
23-10-2007, 06:02 PM
I like the sound of that. That'll be on the list of things to do.

Don't do it without a wideband setup. Or at least a rolling road tune up. The boost cut is a safety net that DOES save engines!

Kieran
23-10-2007, 09:17 PM
Don't do it without a wideband setup. Or at least a rolling road tune up. The boost cut is a safety net that DOES save engines!

What he said! /yes

Marklar
21-11-2007, 09:57 AM
don't think you want to disconnect the solenoid as it still controls the boost a little

Can anyone confirm that this is the case?

My ebc also says to bypass the standard boost control, but that raises another question

How can an ebc determine stock boost after the stock solenoid has been bypassed? ie when self learning.

Kieran
21-11-2007, 03:03 PM
It can't. An EBC does away with the stock boost control system and relies on you telling it what boost to run. It doesn't need to know stock boost level.
What it can't do is lower the pressure below the level at which the turbo wastegates will open. On a VR-4, if boost control is left to the wastegates it'll be 0.44 bar.

Marklar
22-11-2007, 07:33 AM
Ahh ok thanks, The manual for the EBC says that it cant run below stock (OEM) boost, so I assume that they are refering to stock as the pressure at which the wastegates will open, not the factory boost setting.

In turn I guess this means that when I run the self learning at "stock boost" as the manual instructs I simply do this with the standard boost control solenoid bypassed and expect to see .44 bar.

So basically it is saying that it wants to analyze the 'smallest' power curve possible?

GeoVR4
09-01-2008, 09:39 PM
hello everybody,nice forum, i bought 1999 year mitsu gala VR4 2,5 twin turbo, it has kakimoto racing exhost system and HKS air filter, please tell me about stock turbo facilities, ( how many psi-s should it have ) and what is its redline in psi-s, td03-07t

bradc
10-01-2008, 05:27 AM
it should be around 8-10psi max, 8psi at the redline

GeoVR4
10-01-2008, 11:40 PM
and please tell how much i can make boost up? on stock turbo?

Kieran
11-01-2008, 12:38 AM
and please tell how much i can make boost up? on stock turbo?

Well, this depends on what other modifications you have.

As a general rule, 0.9BAR (13psi) is considered a 'safe' limit. You can go higher than this but results vary from car to car.

Have a search of the forums. There are lots of threads about turbos and boost controllers.:scholar:

GeoVR4
11-01-2008, 01:37 PM
please write some links where i can find information about turbo and boost about VR4... thank you very much :) and i f i boost up on 13psi, how effective it would be? for example how many h.p. can make 13psi? i am from georgia,tbilisi, and in our county i was first who bought this car and i know nothing about its facilities and upgrades,and thats why i have registered here,and i'm glad to hear some advices from you :)

Kieran
11-01-2008, 02:54 PM
please write some links where i can find information about turbo and boost about VR4... thank you very much :) and i f i boost up on 13psi, how effective it would be? for example how many h.p. can make 13psi? i am from georgia,tbilisi, and in our county i was first who bought this car and i know nothing about its facilities and upgrades,and thats why i have registered here,and i'm glad to hear some advices from you :)

The best way is to use search - You can see the search box at the top of this page.... Just put some words in there and lots of information will appear for you.:scholar:

Good terms to search for are 'Turbos' or 'Boost' or 'Upgrade', etc. You'll find LOTS of threads to read. You'll learn far more than if I just point you to one or two links.:scholar:

bradc
11-01-2008, 08:08 PM
bumping up to 13psi may give you around 300-320hp, but a huge increase in mid range power, you'll love it :)

GeoVR4
11-01-2008, 08:48 PM
bumping up to 13psi may give you around 300-320hp, but a huge increase in mid range power, you'll love it :)
and my car has kakimoto racing exhost system and HKS air filter, +13pshi, around 320hp? :) of course if i boost up on 13 psi

d i c k i e s
12-02-2008, 04:12 AM
have a look at brads car.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/vbpicgallery.php?do=hall&u=786

bradc
12-02-2008, 10:56 AM
I would say that with a replacement panel filter, an exhaust and 13psi you'd be around 300-320hp, with around 400-450nm torque