PDA

View Full Version : Cam belt change

RugbyPete
20-09-2007, 01:36 PM
Now WRD have gone under, I need to trust someone with a cambelt change.

Can someone clear up if the water pump needs changing at the same time?

I asked mitsubishi, they asked their lead technician, and he said it wasnt needed unless i had reason to suspect it was faulty.

I thought it was heavily linked with the cams and so if failed so would the cams?!

Please advise....

Nutter_John
20-09-2007, 01:50 PM
Two points

1) WRD did not go under , we ceased trading - ie walked away from a viable business
2) if the pump fails it can snap the belt , if it does fail you need to change the belt at the same time - so rather than gamble with you engine for the sake of 100 quid more on the change

Bottom line it's up to you but I would always change the water pump at the same time as the cambelt

Paul Beazer
20-09-2007, 01:55 PM
I wont comment on WRD as john has already covered it.

As john says there is a risk that as the pump is driven by cam belt, for the sake of the cost of the pump to risk your whole engine is false economy. Your pump may well be ok, but would you want to take the risk? I wouldnt!

RugbyPete
20-09-2007, 01:57 PM
ok, thanks.

Appologies for my lack of sensitivity re: WRD.

RugbyPete
20-09-2007, 01:59 PM
ok, thanks.

Appologies for my lack of sensitivity re: WRD. I'll try to put my words bette rnext time - you got the meaning!

Nutter_John
20-09-2007, 02:17 PM
Not sensitive just setting the record straight - no issue with what ever people say

If you need ti doing suggest you give eurospec a try as they know our cars very well

Beastlee
20-09-2007, 02:24 PM
Or Mitsubishi for £1228 with fluids LOL

Paul Beazer
20-09-2007, 05:12 PM
Or Mitsubishi for £1228 with fluids LOL
PARDON??!!!!

You should be paying approx £300 for a cambelt, £400 incl waterpump, prob about £500 or a little more if the tensioners are included (you forgot about them didnt you!)

ANTHONY
20-09-2007, 07:24 PM
yep i would highly recommend eurospec

RugbyPete
20-09-2007, 08:04 PM
bit far...

Johnny_Cashed
20-09-2007, 08:15 PM
I'd be interested in hearing any good places to have a galant serviced in the midlands - sorry eurospec too far away!

Kieran
20-09-2007, 08:50 PM
Well, there's that place that Isaac used for his GLS - they did a good job. Can't remember the bloody name of the place though. The owner runs a Legnum VR-4 though, so he's familiar with the ins and outs these cars. It's based in Yorkshire I think? A bit of a drive but perhaps not as far as Eurospec.

If you get stuck though, I really would urge you to consider somewhere like Eurospec. Okay, it's a good 2/3 hours drive and probably a tank of petrol in a V6, but an extra £45 for peace of mind is well worth it.:scholar:

Beastlee
20-09-2007, 08:59 PM
Couldn't agree more. Even 2 tanks of fuel is worth knowing the job is done properly, especially when you're dealing with a VR4 engine!

RugbyPete
20-09-2007, 09:39 PM
There's TW tyres remember - they're quoting £290 for the cam and water pump change
They've also had VR4's from here too, Ive seen picks.

They are VERY friendly and have a 'can do' attitude about everything.

They're in Rugby, and many Rugby-arians trust them. They're likely to be the next people wrking on my car, simply because they are cheerful, positive, and professional.

fredfour4
20-09-2007, 10:48 PM
Lee the £1228 was not just for the cambelt change and fluid change, It did include top gearbox mount, new silicone tensioner, plugs etc. The bill was just like a roman scroll with all of the parts. I was happy with that price. High performance cars costs are high at main dealers. The Maserati QP Evo that I am looking for at the moment is £2700 approx (Lancaster maserati) for the cam belts, rear chains (Engine out job)and full service and thats every 44000 miles or every two years with my mileage.

I have not had the problem of sitting on the side of the road waiting for the AA man ( a very very nice man) and then whined about how problematic my car is, all because I bought a High Performance car and run it on a shoestring.

I think the moral is if your too lazy to fix it yourself and you value your own personal time more then your going pay a lump of cash. If you cant afford to run properly then dont buy it. I didn't even get my hands dirty.

Nevman
20-09-2007, 11:34 PM
Eurospec's servicing schedule shows 60k service (incl cambelt and all other parts http://www.euro-spec2000.co.uk/Mitsubishi/Galant/ ) is priced at £915.
It is a bit difference between their price and £1228 quoted by Mitsi garage.
I am going to Eurospec in a few weeks to do the service.

fredfour4
21-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Then add the gearbox mount (120) Drive down to the garage + 1 day wages as I have got to get there and it all adds up. Where as Lindhill is on my way to work, pick up the courtesy car drive to work (no loss of time or wages). Pick up the car, all done no probs. and all carried out by properly trained mitsubishi technicians ( I hope)

Beastlee
21-09-2007, 07:40 PM
Kevin,

I've never got round to reading exactly what was done but I hadn't paid attention to the plugs having been done too. I just love driving the car and for the first time Heidi is demanding the opportunity to drive a VR4!

I don't think I've ever driven such a smooth and squeak free car!

fredfour4
21-09-2007, 07:55 PM
I am glad you like it. Taking your time to buy a car always pays.
Unfortunatley I am still looking and carless. Using my sons Fiat 20v Turbo
at the moment with those lowered springs and up rated shocks I think my joints and fillings are desintigrating and every boy racer wants to race me. Unless its has comparible performance I have not bothered.
Hope all goes well in Germany.
Thanks.

KEENY
05-11-2007, 10:02 AM
i had my engine de-coked last year by mitsi and they told me (while my engine was in bits) that my water pump needed replaycing as it had a leaking.

so the water pump was changed for £312 plus change but nothing was mentioned about the cam belt. if i had known that the cambelt was some how connected to the water pump i would have asked about it.

i only hope that mitsi took it in there own hands to look at the belt and check it out. although i do have the annoying squeling sound coming from one of the belts on the drivers side. mostly if the weather is wet or even slighty damp. in the summer its fine not a peep out of it.

RugbyPete
05-11-2007, 01:11 PM
£312?? I think for that they did the cambelt

Mines coming to that for a cambelt change, water pump, tensioners and fluid change.

Kieran
05-11-2007, 06:25 PM
Mines coming to that for a cambelt change, water pump, tensioners and fluid change.

All in, that ain't half bad!

Keeny - As Pete says, that probably did cover the cambelt too. It would have been VERY unusual to refit a worn cambelt in that circumstance, especially with the pump leaking onto the belt!

KEENY
05-11-2007, 06:28 PM
there was no mention of the cambelt on the receipt

Eurospec
05-11-2007, 09:27 PM
Some of the dealers can be a bit wierd. One of our local ones here is doing cambelts at 54k on gto's now (its always been 60) but they DONT do the water pump, they dont even advise its on the next service, so basically they have it in, do the belt only at 54k, then have it back at 60k to do the pump! Nuts!

If your engine was in bits (ie heads off) then i cant see them not recommending the belt was done at the same time. They may have priced it in the job.

£300 is super cheap for the cambelt, pump and tensioners/idlers.

Cheers,

Ben.

RugbyPete
06-11-2007, 01:14 PM
I need to do the plugs

where can i get long life ones for the v6? HEard someone on here get em cheap somwhere?

Eurospec
06-11-2007, 08:56 PM
Platinum ones. Any motor factor mate.

Or www.sparkplugs.co.uk

Cheers,

Ben.

RugbyPete
06-11-2007, 10:00 PM
they recommend Iridium ones, they ok still? Googled and theyre Long life alongsite plats..

Eurospec
07-11-2007, 09:34 AM
They are fine mate. Just make sure they are the correct heat range.

Cheers,

Ben.

I-S
07-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Iridium are longer life than platinum.

I had my GLS done at Mitsiland in Denton, Manchester.

stevec205gti
04-12-2007, 03:28 PM
Kind of on topic - where's the best place to order Cambelts etc from - mine's due pretty soon :(

Kieran
04-12-2007, 06:02 PM
Kind of on topic - where's the best place to order Cambelts etc from - mine's due pretty soon :(

Hordak's at the dreaded 108,000 interval, eh? That means plugs too! Just what you need at Christmas!! /help

Okay, well Camskill can supply, but I don't think they list the V6 on their website, only the VR-4 - so you'd need to ring them.

The V6 is quite easy compared to the VR-4 as none of the pulleys turn when you remove the belt. Whilst you've got it off, replace the tensioner & idler pulleys and also the water pump. It's worth checking the hydraulic tensioner rod too whilst you're at it too; if this goes out of spec it won't auto-tension the belt correctly.

miller
04-12-2007, 08:18 PM
Okay im confused, the cambelt is due at 45k or 60k? im believing/planning 45k and a trip to Eurospec in January, im sitting at 43k at the moment, how much can you believe the mileage on the VR4's considering they are imports., ie are the electronic ones as easy to clock as the old rotating oddometers?

Mike

Paul Beazer
04-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Okay im confused, the cambelt is due at 45k or 60k? im believing/planning 45k and a trip to Eurospec in January, im sitting at 43k at the moment, how much can you believe the mileage on the VR4's considering they are imports., ie are the electronic ones as easy to clock as the old rotating oddometers?

Mike
Interval for cambelt changes is every 54k miles whether you have a 6A13 or 6A13TT

Kieran
04-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Interval for cambelt changes is every 54k miles whether you have a 6A13 or 6A13TT

I'm not sure that's correct Paul. The V6 is 54K. As far as I know, the VR-4 is still 45K?

bradc
05-12-2007, 07:47 AM
My blue ST-R made it to 62000 miles before it had the cambelt changed, and I've seen one here in NZ that had done about 80000 miles without it being changed!

Better to be safe than sorry though!

stevec205gti
11-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Hordak's at the dreaded 108,000 interval, eh? That means plugs too! Just what you need at Christmas!! /help

Okay, well Camskill can supply, but I don't think they list the V6 on their website, only the VR-4 - so you'd need to ring them.

The V6 is quite easy compared to the VR-4 as none of the pulleys turn when you remove the belt. Whilst you've got it off, replace the tensioner & idler pulleys and also the water pump. It's worth checking the hydraulic tensioner rod too whilst you're at it too; if this goes out of spec it won't auto-tension the belt correctly.

Yes - it'll be goodbye christmas bonus, hello cold driveway /Grrr