PDA

View Full Version : How to spot different kinds of VR-4 from quite a long way away...

Kieran
21-09-2007, 09:51 PM
Okay, I'm trying to plug gaps in our library/articles and one of the biggest is identifying what flavour VR-4 you have, and also what it's EXACT spec is. Can you guys help me?

Here's what I've got so far.... I know the 'Super VR-4' is missing. I will add that later.

If it's a 1996-1998 Pre-Facelift, then you have one of two models...

VR-4
VR-4 'Type-S'.

VR-4:
If it's a 'VR-4' then the chassis model code (NOT the chassis number!!) is SNGF for the saloon and LNGF for the estate. It will have a MANUAL gearbox, AYC, 16 x 6JJ BBS wheels and an engine rating of 280PS.

VR-4 Type-S:
If it's a VR-4 Type-S' then the model code is SYGF for the saloon and LYGF for the estate. It will be an Automatic ONLY. The standard wheels are a 5 spoke Mitsubishi Design, You get a better AM/FM radio with the option of a Single or Multi-CD unit. You also get Traction control (TCL) and Active Stability control (ASC) to compliment the AYC (ALL Prefacelifts have AYC).

Now.... Come 1998 Mitsubishi changed the lineup with the facelift.

The 'VR-4' was deleted and the 'VR-4 Type-V' replaced it.
The 'VR-4 Type-S' remained however the specification changed.

The 'Type-V' is equipped as follows:

Manual OR automatic transmission was available.
No 'Type-V' has AYC.
Standard wheels are the pre-facelift 'Type-S' wheels.
No Hi-Contrast (Cool lighty-uppy) dash.
No rear spoiler on the Wagon (Legnum) variants. The saloon did keep the spoiler.

The 'Type-S' remained as before (apart from the facelift changes) in terms of spec.

Automatic ONLY.
TCL was deleted. I don't know about ASC.
The wheels were bigger - A Multi-Spoke Mitsubishi design. Still 16", but wearing 225 section tyres.
Rear spoiler on the Legnums.
AYC fitted.

If anyone can help 'Fill the gaps, let me know - I've been trying to pin down the EXACT differences since 2003!!

Nick Mann
21-09-2007, 09:58 PM
I think the type V estate had the option of a rear spoiler.
I think the facelift wheels are 6.5JJ
I think ASC was changed/modified/incorporated into the AYC. I certainly get AYC bars under violent braking round bends or on rough ground.
The facelift type S has plastic wheel arch extensions.

HMG1K
21-09-2007, 11:48 PM
This week I saw on Auto Trader a 2000 year VR4 saloon, facelift, without wheel arch extensions, and said to be an official UK import. I throught all facelifted VR4's had wheel arch extentions... This one had the genuine boot spoiler, twin front fogs, rear fog in the light cluster and a saloon rear wash wipe.

What type is this..? I've pix if they need posting

Kieran
22-09-2007, 12:24 AM
I throught all facelifted VR4's had wheel arch extentions...

Not all. The Type-V was missing them. Some Mitsu dealers did import Type-Vs as 'Official' imports, though these cars aren't technically part of the 200 'Official' cars that the Colt Car Company imported.

As far as we know....:inquisiti

bradc
22-09-2007, 03:49 AM
Remember there was also that 2003 registered Galant Type V manual.

There are a couple of imperfections on your list Kieran.

One the BBS wheels I beleive were an option, maybe a no cost option because I've seen a lot of Manual prefacelift VR-4's here in NZ with the standard 5 spoke wheels on them. All of these manual type S's had the high vis dash, AYC, wide wheel arches, and the 16x6.5" facelift design wheels on them.

Nick - the ASC wasn't incorporated into the AYC, there is a seperate fuse box on the ASC+TCL equipped cars, and facelifts don't have that.

Another point I want to make that I feel is important is that for prefacelifts you could get standard ones and Type S's with and without leather, mmcs and sunroof. While on the facelift you could get the momo wheel + recaro pack, leather, mmcs sunroof irrespective of Type V or Type S.

Obviously there is the Super, but I know you know enough about them to update the list.

Also there was the car of the year spec which was only available in 1997 and was a Type S with ASC and TCL, black leather, white exterior and polished 16x6" standard prefacelift design wheels. I found a brochure the other day on the web, but I've suspected for some time the black leather option on JDM VR-4's had something to do with the car of the year badge on the back, because almost all of the COTY versions I had seen had those features.

The Type S facelift was available in Manual. Kenneth has had two, William has one, Rayray has one, and I know of various others :)

Subaru ETA
22-09-2007, 04:05 AM
soooo...whats mine then?? prefacelift sedan, manual no trac, has AYC std mitsi 5 spoke wheels, sunroof and cool ralliart center facia around the stereo

bradc
22-09-2007, 04:36 AM
your car is one of those standard VR-4 prefacelifts I was talking about that probably had the bbs wheels on the spec sheet but the owner took the no cost option of getting the 5 spoke wheels.

psbarham
22-09-2007, 07:23 AM

i just love the use of proper technical jargon that is alive in this club /lol /lol /lol /lol /lol /lol

Kieran
22-09-2007, 10:51 AM
Remember there was also that 2003 registered Galant Type V manual.

There are a couple of imperfections on your list Kieran.

One the BBS wheels I beleive were an option, maybe a no cost option because I've seen a lot of Manual prefacelift VR-4's here in NZ with the standard 5 spoke wheels on them. All of these manual type S's had the high vis dash, AYC, wide wheel arches, and the 16x6.5" facelift design wheels on them.

Nick - the ASC wasn't incorporated into the AYC, there is a seperate fuse box on the ASC+TCL equipped cars, and facelifts don't have that.

Another point I want to make that I feel is important is that for prefacelifts you could get standard ones and Type S's with and without leather, mmcs and sunroof. While on the facelift you could get the momo wheel + recaro pack, leather, mmcs sunroof irrespective of Type V or Type S.

Obviously there is the Super, but I know you know enough about them to update the list.

Also there was the car of the year spec which was only available in 1997 and was a Type S with ASC and TCL, black leather, white exterior and polished 16x6" standard prefacelift design wheels. I found a brochure the other day on the web, but I've suspected for some time the black leather option on JDM VR-4's had something to do with the car of the year badge on the back, because almost all of the COTY versions I had seen had those features.

The Type S facelift was available in Manual. Kenneth has had two, William has one, Rayray has one, and I know of various others :)

Cheers for this Brad - Really appreciate it.:iloveyou:

The only thing I do know is that the BBS wheels were definetly standard on the non-Type-S pre facelifts - I have a brochure here that lists them under the list of standard items.:scholar:

Thanks for the car of the Year info - do you have a link to the brochure?

Kieran
22-09-2007, 10:53 AM
i just love the use of proper technical jargon that is alive in this club /lol /lol /lol /lol /lol /lol

Do you know to what part 'Cool lighty-uppy' dash refers to?:inquisiti

Yes?! /yes

Right then! NEXT! /Devil5

ANTHONY
22-09-2007, 02:04 PM
so i have
Hi-Contrast (Cool lighty-uppy) dash.
AYC
BBS wheels
manual box
1996 car

what am i?

bradc
22-09-2007, 08:23 PM
you're a VR-4, no suffix or anything!

K - about the BBS wheels, I will agree with you on the fact that more manual cars seem to have them on than Auto's, but I still insist that the standard 5 spoke wheels must have been a no cost option, simply because of the amount of them around. I'll try and dig up the car of the year brochure as well.

psbarham
23-09-2007, 07:47 AM
Do you know to what part 'Cool lighty-uppy' dash refers to?:inquisiti

Yes?! /yes

Right then! NEXT! /Devil5

no! send me one over so i can fit it to mine and then i'll know what it is

oh come on 10/10 for trying though:(

Roadrunner
23-09-2007, 08:36 AM
Do you know to what part 'Cool lighty-uppy' dash refers to?:inquisiti NEXT! /Devil5
The official Mitsubishi brochure for the Ralliart range describes the dash only as "Instrument display with digital meters".

On the official Ralliart cars, the following interior trims were available:

Standard: (manual) charcoal/grey cloth trim, aluminium effect console trim, leather steering wheel.

Standard: (auto) black/red cloth trim, carbon fibre effect consle trim, leather steering wheel.

Optional: Beige leather seat trim including door inserts; wood/leather Nardi steering wheel, woodprint centre console panel, gearshift and handbrake lever, two-tone interior.

Optional on manual only: Black/blue Recaro seats, black leather-wrapped Momo steering wheel, gearshift and handbrake lever; aluminium effect trimmed centre and floor console panel.

Optional on auto only: Black/red Recaro seats, leather wrapped Momo steering wheel, gearshift and handbrake lever; carbon fibre effect trimmed centre and floor console.

Kieran
23-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Ooooh, Thanks Brian - it will be good to have the UK-spec cars in there. Not that they're different to the Jap specs much, but nevertheless!

/thankyou

ANTHONY
29-09-2007, 09:21 PM
The final VR-4 was introduced in 1996. The engine capacity was enlarged substantially to 2.5 L, which pushed the power up by 15 percent to the Japanese voluntary limit of 280 PS. The car was now capable of over 150 mph when derestricted, and could accelerate from 0-60 in about six seconds.
The Type-V model could be specified with either the existing 5-speed manual or the optional INVECS-II (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INVECS-II), which was now an advanced self-learning 5-speed semi-auto (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-automatic_transmission) based on Porsche (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche)'s Tiptronic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiptronic) transmission, while the Type-S model offered the optional Active Yaw Control (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_yaw_control) (AYC). This complex rear diff (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_%28mechanics%29) was first seen on the Lancer Evo IV (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Lancer_Evolution#Evolution_IV), and used an array of sensors to detect and quell oversteer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oversteer), giving the ultimate VR-4 great agility for a vehicle of its size and weight.
With the 8th generation of the Galant, Mitsubishi introduced a station wagon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Station_wagon) (known in many markets as the Legnum) to replace the old 5-door hatchback (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatchback), and the VR-4 was now available in both body styles.
North America and Europe were again denied this model, but the burgeoning grey import (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_import) trade meant that it developed a cult following in several overseas territories, especially the United Kingdom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom) and New Zealand (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand). In 2000 MMC's motorsport partner Ralliart (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralliart) was contracted to type-approve (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_approval) Galants and Lancers for UK sales, and 200 VR-4s were officially imported before production finally ceased two years later.

so is this true Mr Scott

bradc
29-09-2007, 09:29 PM
that is all correct, apart from the type v bit. Isn't that what is on the wikipedia site?

ANTHONY
29-09-2007, 09:30 PM
that is all correct, apart from the type v bit. Isn't that what is on the wikipedia site? thats where i got it from

KiwiTT
29-09-2007, 10:38 PM
I have also got a chrome "Auto" cover and clear side indicator options

The "Ralliart Suspension" Option is also available.
- Ride height lowered by 40mm
- Firmer Springs
- Adjustable Shock Absorbers

on my 1996 Type S

Kieran
29-09-2007, 11:07 PM

- Firmer Springs

on my 1996 Type S

Thanks Richard! :afro:

The Ralliart Kit was certainly an option. I am pretty sure the other two would be retrofits my Mr. Japanese owner.

The Vee
30-09-2007, 03:32 AM
As a general ID from other 8gs, don't forget the bootlid is different on the VR4 with a smaller aperture for the square plate. Think that also is the case for the leggies, but not looked so hard. also, front bumpers with square plates etc, but that's well covered.

Beastlee
30-09-2007, 04:32 PM

- Firmer Springs

on my 1996 Type S

Sorry to hi-jack,

1. I want a chrome auto gate/cover, where can I get one?
2. The suspension on this car is much firmer than the old one (but feels great), how can I tell if it has the firmer springs in it? There is a mitsubishi part no. on the shocks but not the springs.

Thanks
Lee

bradc
30-09-2007, 07:57 PM
The chrome part came on all facelift Type S cars, and some normal 2.4 facelift cars as well.

Take the springs out and clean them, you'll probably find some markings on them.

KiwiTT
30-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Might also want to mention the different front spoiler and different taillights between the pre-facelifts and facelifts.

My Shocks have a Ralliart label on them.

Subaru ETA
06-10-2007, 09:07 AM
my car had the ralliart suspension in it but they had to change the front shocks when i got it coz they were leaking

KiwiTT
24-10-2007, 10:54 PM
Kieran. How could you miss the MMCS option ? ;)

Kieran
25-10-2007, 12:33 AM
Kieran. How could you miss the MMCS option ? ;)

heh! I haven't confirmed where that sits in terms of specification.

This is one of those things that needs doing, but it's proving a nightmare to pin down all the odds n'sods! /help :book::lost:

KiwiTT
25-10-2007, 01:16 AM
I believe it could be an option for both types.

bradc
25-10-2007, 05:49 AM
yep, I know of manual and auto prefacelifts and facelifts with mmcs

Fully
27-10-2007, 11:35 PM
What about the E-EC5A SYGF model?

Kieran
28-10-2007, 01:08 AM
What about the E-EC5A SYGF model?

You mean a VR-4 Type-S Saloon. OH - I see what you mean, I've not put the different codes in for the Legnum And Galant.

Thanks - I'll note it here for compilation later:

Legnum:

VR-4 : LNGF
Type-S: LYGF

Galant:

VR-4 : SNGF
Type-S: SYGF

Super VR-4:

LYGF2 (Legnum)
Saloon currently unknown - Probably SYGF2 but need to confirm.

Thanks for the feedback!

ANTHONY
07-05-2008, 10:36 PM
so how many manuals were made in comparison to the trip?

Kieran
07-05-2008, 11:53 PM
so how many manuals were made in comparison to the trip?

No idea Tony. I have production figures from Mitsubishi somewhere but they don't go down to trim/spec level.

Alan T
27-05-2008, 03:09 PM
I have a 1997 VR-4 and the chassis model code is "LYGF" and it has a manual gearbox. It also has AYC and no TCL or ASC that I know of. :undecided

Okay, I'm trying to plug gaps in our library/articles and one of the biggest is identifying what flavour VR-4 you have, and also what it's EXACT spec is. Can you guys help me?

Here's what I've got so far.... I know the 'Super VR-4' is missing. I will add that later.

If it's a 1996-1998 Pre-Facelift, then you have one of two models...

VR-4
VR-4 'Type-S'.

VR-4:
If it's a 'VR-4' then the chassis model code (NOT the chassis number!!) is SNGF. It will have a MANUAL gearbox, AYC, 16 x 6JJ BBS wheels and an engine rating of 280PS.

VR-4 Type-S:
If it's a VR-4 Type-S' then the model code is LYGF. It will be an Automatic ONLY. The standard wheels are a 5 spoke Mitsubishi Design, You get a better AM/FM radio with the option of a Single or Multi-CD unit. You also get Traction control (TCL) and Active Stability control (ASC).

Now.... Come 1998 Mitsubishi changed the lineup with the facelift.

The 'VR-4' was deleted and the 'VR-4 Type-V' replaced it.
The 'VR-4 Type-S' remained however the specification changed.

The 'Type-V' is equipped as follows:

Manual OR automatic transmission was available.
No 'Type-V' has AYC.
Standard wheels are the pre-facelift 'Type-S' wheels.
No rear spoiler on the Wagon (Legnum) variants. The saloon did keep the spoiler.

The 'Type-S' remained as before (apart from the facelift changes) in terms of spec.

Automatic ONLY.
TCL was deleted. I don't know about ASC.
The wheels were bigger - A Multi-Spoke Mitsubishi design. Still 16", but wearing 225 section tyres.
Rear spoiler on the Legnums.
AYC fitted.

If anyone can help 'Fill the gaps, let me know - I've been trying to pin down the EXACT differences since 2003!!

Kieran
27-05-2008, 04:08 PM
I have a 1997 VR-4 and the chassis model code is "LYGF" and it has a manual gearbox. It also has AYC and no TCL or ASC that I know of. :undecided

LYGF indicates that it's a Type-S. There's no variance on that. There's no visible evidence of ASC (Untill it saves you from a ditch!) however you should be able to tell that TCL is on the car. There'll be a TCL switch on the right hand side of the steering wheel (on the little row of three below the air vent & mirror controls), lights on the dash (2 on the top right) and you'll see a little grey canister on the bulkhead in the engine bay on the passenger side, next to the window wiper motor.:scholar:

bradc
27-05-2008, 08:12 PM
It is a manual so it won't have TCL :)

Kieran
27-05-2008, 09:25 PM
It is a manual so it won't have TCL :)

Ooh, that's weird - How can it be a manual if the chassis model code is LYGF?:inquisiti The manual is LNGF.

peter thomson
27-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Any chance it had a manual conversion then?

Alan T
27-05-2008, 10:34 PM
There are no signs at all of having been converted from an automatic.
This is now puzzling me.
I've been lucky in the past at picking up unique motors. Have I done it again.

Kieran
27-05-2008, 10:55 PM
There are no signs at all of having been converted from an automatic.
This is now puzzling me.
I've been lucky in the past at picking up unique motors. Have I done it again.

Can you take a couple of pictures of your engine bay? There may be a clue or two left - Especially If you could get a shot of the top of the throttle body on the engine with the Vaccuum lines, that'd be a good help.:happy:

Alan T
27-05-2008, 11:17 PM
I'll get some photos taken in the morning and post them here.

Kieran
27-05-2008, 11:21 PM
I'll get some photos taken in the morning and post them here.

Smashing - It might give us some idea.:happy:

Alan T
27-05-2008, 11:24 PM
Forgot I had this photo.
I'll still get more photos
22310 in the morning.

bradc
28-05-2008, 06:30 AM
See the silver metal plate on the firewall, does it say W5M51 or W5A51 for the gearbox?

Alan T
28-05-2008, 07:13 AM
The silver metal plate has Transmission Axle W5M51 on it.

Kieran
28-05-2008, 09:32 AM
Does the chassis number on the riveted steel plate match the one stamped on the bulkhead?

Alan T
28-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Yes the chassis number on the steel plate matches the one on the bulkhead.

Kieran
28-05-2008, 12:26 PM
Yes the chassis number on the steel plate matches the one on the bulkhead.

Hmmm. And the model code is deffo LYGF, not LNGF?

Very odd. I have just double checked CAPS and LYGF is the tip version... :book:

Did you take a closer shot of your engine bay?

Alan T
28-05-2008, 12:41 PM
WHOOOOPS!!!!!!! SORRY, I've made a boo boo.
I just gave the steel plate a bit of a clean up and it is not an LYGF, it's an LNGF.
I think I better get an eye test done.
So what model do I have, now that it's confirmed to be an LNGF ?

Kieran
28-05-2008, 02:34 PM
Aaaah, that explains it. That's a relief! :)

Basically, you have a straight VR-4 rather than a Type-S.

SiliconAngel
26-06-2008, 02:11 AM
I know this is raising a VERY old thread, but we've found (http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2256&page=3) a 2001 Series 2 (facelift) Type-S with factory ASC and TCL in Australia... So it IS possible, just unbelievably rare!