PDA

View Full Version : Tein Super Wagon with EDFC

Nick Mann
27-09-2007, 05:24 PM
As stated in other threads, I bought this setup from RHD Japan. I bought them at the end of July, they arrived approx 8 weeks later, on a surface shipping deal. The price was very good - just over £700 including delivery, credit card surcharge, tax and duty. (Although I think customs set the duty cost heavily in my favour!) Nothing else good or bad to say about the purchasing experience.

The kit came with Japanese instructions. The EDFC installation manual has an English section, but the rest is Japanese only. This isn't really a big problem, as installation is relatively straight-forwards. The EDFC instructions were required, though!

From an installation point of view, the only thing to say is that the rear struts are not height adjustable once on the car. That's a bit annoying really! If I get a chance, I will measure the height of the adjusters and the height of the car, so people can set this up in advance in the future. Also one point about the EDFC - I did not have to modify the interior or the bonnet to fit the EDFC motors. Everything fits back in place afterwards.

Getting into the car after fitting, I could already feel that the car was stiffer. Maybe the lack of progressive winding on the spring makes it feel less compliant on small movements? Driving, the suspension quickly felt like a massive improvement over the standard setup. This is maybe a bit of an unfair comparison, as my standard setup was long in the tooth to put it politely! The body roll is reduced, the ride is firmer and the car feels more planted, all with the EDFC at the softest setting! Turn the EDFC up and the car feels stiffer, bangs (not really jolts) more over bumps and has less body roll again through the corners. It does all of this without feeling like it will knock out my fillings!

I am genuinely pleased. The car feels better for driver and passenger (Vicky said even she was more confident that the car was holding the road!) has a more sporty feel and a more solid feel, without hurting its cruising or comfort. Just what I wanted!

:thumbsup:

MPBVr4
27-09-2007, 06:59 PM
Sounds good Nick. What spring rates did you go for?

Nick Mann
27-09-2007, 07:23 PM
I went for standard Super Wagon springs, which I believe are 5 kg/mm front and 3 kg/mm rear.

I'll wait and see if Wouter goes for stiffer springs and maybe have a journey out in his before I do anything rash! TBH, I think these spring rates seem like a good balance between everyday usage and stable whilst cornering hard.

ANTHONY
27-09-2007, 10:50 PM
so where are the photos /ttiwwop

Kieran
28-09-2007, 12:35 AM
Glad you like it Nick - I'll be interested to feel how the Super Wagons compare to the Tein S-Tech/Billie/Cusco combo I've got. How much of a drop are you running?

Must say, I still think refreshing the suspension is one of the best things you can do to an 'Experienced' Legnum!

Nick Mann
28-09-2007, 09:47 AM
The rear is around the same height as it was before - maybe slightly lower. The front is maybe 15-20 mm lower, which evens up the arches more. I didn't want to go too low, as I use it every day and often have it well loaded!

And I agree - the old suspension was very tired, this was a very good upgrade.

bradc
28-09-2007, 10:14 AM
pics?

Nick Mann
28-09-2007, 01:24 PM
I'll take some when I get the chance! I fitted it in a couple of evenings, so photos were not an option. As soon as I've got some, I'll post them up.

Davezj
28-09-2007, 01:37 PM
As stated in other threads, I bought this setup from RHD Japan. I bought them at the end of July, they arrived approx 8 weeks later, on a surface shipping deal. The price was very good - just over £700 including delivery, credit card surcharge, tax and duty. (Although I think customs set the duty cost heavily in my favour!) Nothing else good or bad to say about the purchasing experience.

The kit came with Japanese instructions. The EDFC installation manual has an English section, but the rest is Japanese only. This isn't really a big problem, as installation is relatively straight-forwards. The EDFC instructions were required, though!

From an installation point of view, the only thing to say is that the rear struts are not height adjustable once on the car. That's a bit annoying really! If I get a chance, I will measure the height of the adjusters and the height of the car, so people can set this up in advance in the future. Also one point about the EDFC - I did not have to modify the interior or the bonnet to fit the EDFC motors. Everything fits back in place afterwards.

Getting into the car after fitting, I could already feel that the car was stiffer. Maybe the lack of progressive winding on the spring makes it feel less compliant on small movements? Driving, the suspension quickly felt like a massive improvement over the standard setup. This is maybe a bit of an unfair comparison, as my standard setup was long in the tooth to put it politely! The body roll is reduced, the ride is firmer and the car feels more planted, all with the EDFC at the softest setting! Turn the EDFC up and the car feels stiffer, bangs (not really jolts) more over bumps and has less body roll again through the corners. It does all of this without feeling like it will knock out my fillings!

I am genuinely pleased. The car feels better for driver and passenger (Vicky said even she was more confident that the car was holding the road!) has a more sporty feel and a more solid feel, without hurting its cruising or comfort. Just what I wanted!

WHAT STOPS THE REARS FROM BEING HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE ONCE FITTED?

Nick Mann
28-09-2007, 01:41 PM
I'm not sure, but it seems that the spring holds the adjuster in alignment with the top mounting bolts, and the bottom of the shock is bolted so that it can't spin either. So it appears that I will have to release the shock from the upper bolts to allow the top to spin when the adjusting ring is turned.

You would have thought that a simple washer between the adjusting rings and the bottom of the spring would have solved the issue? I'm not a design engineer, though...

Nick Mann
28-09-2007, 01:44 PM
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=16865

Davezj
28-09-2007, 01:51 PM
i ask because i have a set of HA's to go in my VR4 and it looks like, if you can release the pressure of the spring by fitting a spring compressor then the adjuster nut should turn.
Or have you done this already.

Nick Mann
28-09-2007, 09:42 PM
It could work - I don't have a spring compressor though! /pan

White Lightning
28-09-2007, 11:05 PM
Great news Nick ... glad you are pleased ... sounds like just the compromise that I am after too.

Did you go for the ride height that it was preset with?

If so ... I would be very interested to see the pics ... I am not bothered about lowering the rear on mine but want to get the front down a fair bit.

Hoping to start mine next weekend ...

Davezj
29-09-2007, 12:00 PM
It could work - I don't have a spring compressor though! /pan

if you want to borrow a pair i have some, they are only cheap ones but you would only be using them to release a bit of pressure so there is no problem with that. I have used them to do a complete stip down with no problems.

I am in south manchester. so if you want to borrow them you are welcome to.

Dave

Nick Mann
29-09-2007, 01:56 PM
Dave - thanks. I am happy with the ride height now I have got used to looking at the car! I guess a pair of spring compressors would be a good investment anyway.

Wayne - I am well chuffed, I'm sure you will be too! I have adjusted mine, so I'll take a photo and measure the height of the locking ring on the adjuster thread for you.

stuartturbo
29-09-2007, 09:34 PM
My tiens HA?? can be adjusted on the car but the wheel needs to come off /lol and with the weight off it was easy

apart from the first time when they had corroded on and promptly snapped in half

White Lightning
30-09-2007, 08:42 PM
Wayne - I am well chuffed, I'm sure you will be too! I have adjusted mine, so I'll take a photo and measure the height of the locking ring on the adjuster thread for you.

Cheers mate.

MikeKey
30-06-2008, 07:48 PM
The rear is around the same height as it was before - maybe slightly lower. The front is maybe 15-20 mm lower, which evens up the arches more. I didn't want to go too low, as I use it every day and often have it well loaded!

Was your car lowered before you fitted your Teins? I'm just wondering if that's a 15-20mm drop in addition an existing drop on the front?

My suspension is currently stock and feeling tired, so I now have a set of brand spanking new Super Wagons sitting in the boot ready to fit!

I replaced the dampers and springs on the old V6 so generally know what to expect, but any specific advice you (or anyone else) have on fitting these would be greatfully appreciated!

Cheers!

Mike

Nick Mann
30-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Not a lot. The standard settings on the adjustment will give you a nice ride height. You will need to adjust for a big drop. The fronts can be adjusted on the car, IIRC, whereas the rears can't.

You'll be pleased with them, I'm sure. Nearly a year on and I m still pleased with mine.

MikeKey
30-06-2008, 09:17 PM
The standard settings on the adjustment will give you a nice ride height. You will need to adjust for a big drop.

That sounds good to me, I'll leave them as supplied then. I'm not after a big drop, nothing (much) more than the 25mm the V6 was dropped on the Eibach springs. It looked spot on! :afro:

Cheers!

Nick Mann
30-06-2008, 09:42 PM
Give it a go and see. It's not hard to adjust afterwards. I guarantee you are smiling when they are fitted!

White Lightning
30-06-2008, 11:14 PM
I found the factory setting the perfect ride height for me :)