PDA

View Full Version : Pulleys

RugbyPete
28-09-2007, 04:37 PM
#How long do these last.

Are they REALLY needed at cam belt change time?

Nutter_John
28-09-2007, 04:57 PM
which pulleys are you asking about ?

RugbyPete
28-09-2007, 06:39 PM
sorry, tensioners

HMG1K
28-09-2007, 06:59 PM
I've always had the tensioners replaced when I've had the cam belt done to be on the safe side.

I was told by the dealer years ago that the cost (and they are cheap) of the tensioners is cheaper to replace when the cam belt is being done and be on the safe side than have them fail and take the belt and the engine with it.

Nutter_John
28-09-2007, 07:15 PM
This is the second thread about do I really need to change something as part of the cam belt change

if you don't want to change the tensioners then don't , if you don't want to change the water pump then don't , or if you don't want to change the cam belt the don't

But you may save between £50 -> £150 quid on the cost of the parts , but how much will it cost for a new engine , how much for the hassle if it snaps under load at 70mph on the motorway .

I said to someone once its not the cost of buying the car it the costs of running it that does more damage to your wallet , in other words if you can't afford to run it then don't own it ( not suggesting you can't but you can see what I mean )

Kenneth
28-09-2007, 10:50 PM
This is the second thread about do I really need to change something as part of the cam belt change

if you don't want to change the tensioners then don't , if you don't want to change the water pump then don't , or if you don't want to change the cam belt the don't

But you may save between £50 -> £150 quid on the cost of the parts , but how much will it cost for a new engine , how much for the hassle if it snaps under load at 70mph on the motorway .

I said to someone once its not the cost of buying the car it the costs of running it that does more damage to your wallet , in other words if you can't afford to run it then don't own it ( not suggesting you can't but you can see what I mean )

Well said.

Its like health insurance really, except for your engine.
You don't have to do it, but if you don't and it breaks you will get loads of "I told you to do it" :P

Kieran
28-09-2007, 11:48 PM
I think this sums up the situation regarding the changing (or not) of your tensioners....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sob9tKqRbGc

richy rich
29-09-2007, 01:35 PM
/haz