PDA

View Full Version : Bearing removal problem

FNFAST VR4
29-09-2007, 06:54 AM
Got the crack in my gearbox casing welded up (Thanks Gly) and am in the process of removing the troubled bearing and reassembling my gearbox. Only I've struck a problem...

I used a gear puller to get the bearing off, and it kind of disintegrated. So the outer cage bit and the roller things have all come off, and now just the inner race remains firmly attached to the shaft. We tried heating it, but as all we had to do it was a gas soldering torch it may not have heated it enough ha ha. It got it too hot to hold though.

My question is, how hot does one have to get it to easily come off? Does anyone have anything that could remove it preferably this weekend. I'd really like to get it largely sorted this weekend if possible.

Thanks guys!

Nick Mann
29-09-2007, 09:43 AM
You need to heat it quickly. If you heat it slowly, then the shaft heats up too, and the whole thing gets bigger together. You'll never get it off. What you have to do is heat the bearing quickly, trying not to heat the shaft, but you'll still have to use some force to get the bearing off the shaft.

The job you are doing is not one I have done, but the principle should be the same.

richy rich
29-09-2007, 01:30 PM
All you need is an angle grinder, grind the inner race away until you just see a thin blue line on the inner race. Then it should split apart.