PDA

View Full Version : rwd gearbox for 6A13TT

gccoupe
30-09-2007, 12:23 PM
Hi,

I have a 6A13TT engine here that I am thinking about using for my project car. The only problem is I need it in RWD configuration. Just wondering if anyone knows of any boxes suitable that will work?

Thanks in advance

Kieran
30-09-2007, 12:48 PM
You're putting a 6A13 in a Galant GC, judging by your username?

That'll be a hell of a car - I too own a Coupe, Though over here they were called 'Colt Galants' rather than Chrysler Galants. I think my car (a 1976 one) is either a GC or a GD in your launguage - I can barely tell them apart!:inquisiti

To answer your question, I've no idea I'm afraid. That is to say, no-one's ever tried bunging a 6A13TT in a RWD car before. I know of Coupes where Starion gearboxes have been used (the 2.0 Turbo geabox) as it bolts up nicely.

I think the best suggestion I can offer is to get a gearbox off a high-torque Mitsubishi petrol engine (a big engined Shogun or Pajero, maybe) that can deal with the 6A13TT's grunt, and then get a custom bellhousing / adapter plate machined up to match. Obviously then you've got the propshaft and the rear diff to think about too.

As for my car? Well, I have a donor 4G32 that i'll be using for now. When that goes bang I was looking at a hot 4-banger (EVO or Lancer turbo perhaps, maybe even an MX-5 unit). I didn't fancy trying to cram a 6A13 in there!!

Mentioning MX-5s.... They're RWD and I bet, seeing as these cars have been turbo/supercharged, that there's strengthened boxes/diffs out there. Certainly not a bolt-up job, but might be worth a look if you get stuck?

zentac
30-09-2007, 05:54 PM
let us know what box you choose in the end as I'm interested in converting my FWD to either RWD or 4WD

psbarham
30-09-2007, 06:38 PM
try a bmw box or a lexus 6 speed, plenty about and strong too, as K said though be prepaired to get a custom bell housing made up

dickytim
30-09-2007, 07:08 PM
in Aussie I would go for an old school supra box, or a newer one and have a custom bell housing made up, those boxes handle the torque of a grunty V8 alright and are fairly easily accessable at a reasonable price, either way you go you will more than likely need to have the box modified in some way.

gccoupe
01-10-2007, 12:08 AM
Yeah it's for a GC Galant Coupe maybe if I can sort out a box for it. If tried sitting it in the bay and it seems to fit pretty well, manifolds etc will need to be custom, slight modification to the sump, relocate wates hoses from back of engine to front, custon intake manifold etc. It would go pretty well in a 925kg car I think.

You dont seem to see a lot of people playing with these for some reason, maybe because they are fairly rare i'd say and they are in a FWD configuration so not much space to do things anyway. Are they any out there making heaps of hp?

Everyone here plays with 2JZ's

If I cant get it to work I may sell it, are the 6A13TT's worth anything even if I split it up a bit?

Goku
02-10-2007, 11:20 PM
Yep, they can be worth alot if they are in good condition.

If you listed it on an American site it would sell pretty damn fast I'd say, I don't think too many people in Aussie know what the 6A13TT is though.

Wakaba
09-10-2007, 04:19 AM
I don't know if the truck was anywhere but the states, but the Mitsubishi mighty max / Dodge D50 was sold with a 4g92, and the 5spd will bolt directly to any of the 4g motors including the 4g63t

Kieran
09-10-2007, 09:01 AM
I don't know if the truck was anywhere but the states, but the Mitsubishi mighty max / Dodge D50 was sold with a 4g92, and the 5spd will bolt directly to any of the 4g motors including the 4g63t

How much power/torque will these gearboxes handle before they start eating themselves?

Wakaba
10-10-2007, 03:50 PM
How much power/torque will these gearboxes handle before they start eating themselves?

http://www.dsmsource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75890