PDA

View Full Version : rear wheel camber ?

ianturbo
01-10-2007, 07:59 PM
hi chaps just been to cornwall for 10 days ,on way back in the rain i got what i thought was aquaplain on m6 car went proper sideways lucky noone was in lane at side , i stopped and changed my pants oan made sure all wheels were on (see my other thread ) got home and had a good look around car and the n/s rear tyre is bald on the outside edge and good on inside , thing is i got it tracked at local ats place before i went away , do the rears adjust like the front ?? \ / | thanx
ian
Me and my wheels eh ???

bradc
01-10-2007, 08:48 PM
the rears tend to have quite a bit of negative camber on them if you lower the car, and there isn't much you can do other than to rotate the tyres from left to right fairly regularly

Nick Mann
01-10-2007, 08:54 PM
n/s rear tyre is bald on the outside edge and good on inside
That's the wrong way round? The inside edge should wear faster than the outside, surely? The rear wheels sit the other way around to your diagram - from the back they normally look a bit splayed at the bottom, not as bad as but like this: /--\

Paul Beazer
01-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Ian, you gotta put a stop to this sideways stuff! Seriously though sideways in the wet is not good!

Get your four wheel tracking checked. I may just be an old tyre rotated from the front to the back (hopefully) with roundabout wear, if not it 'may' be an alignment issue.

ianturbo
01-10-2007, 09:35 PM
i think it will be a alignment thing the wheels only been on a month and they was all ok when i put em on and its only n/s rear thats worn ,i have done 900 miles this last week/rally and i don't do that in 4 months normally , so can you adjust them or is something going to be bent ?:inquisiti
ian

Beastlee
02-10-2007, 10:16 AM
900 miles from new on the tyre? That's something serious if that's al it takes to scrub the tyre!

bradc
02-10-2007, 10:39 AM
yeah I would say there is a large amount of toe in on the rear wheel that is causing that issue.

ianturbo
02-10-2007, 11:42 AM
its going in at half three today fof four wheel lazer thingy , fingers croosed :5shots: ,ian

ianturbo
02-10-2007, 07:43 PM
had i tracked today they say it was 1 degree out , what you think 19461

Nutter_John
02-10-2007, 07:49 PM
not that much out , and not to have wiped that trye in 900 miles

ianturbo
02-10-2007, 07:56 PM
my thoughts aswell , i got a part worn on to see what happens in next month or so and have kept my reicet so if not wright they owe me a tyre and re-trackin
ian

Beastlee
02-10-2007, 08:06 PM
Erm, That whole tyre looks like it's considerably worn, certainly more than 900 miles overall. Were they new when you go them? I can't believe 900 miles of anything other than hard road action would wear them out like that.

bradc
02-10-2007, 08:10 PM
yeah even the right side is fairly well worn, the tread indicators aren't there at all!

I have GSD3's on mine, have a look in my gallery at some of the close up pics of the wheels and tyres. I've done about 3000km on those tyres.

I also have another set of GSD3's that I did about 10000km's on in a mazda 626, moved them across to my white VR-4 and did 20000km's on them, then put them onto the blue ST-R (another 5000km's), and they still have the wear indicators just visable on them. They probably have another 30000km's left in them!

ianturbo
02-10-2007, 08:42 PM
yep they were like new when put on ,and only drove on motorway so no/rally
it looks like it has been dragged in away the treads were like string as you can see in pic .
you gettin me worried now :inquisiti :inquisiti
ian

bradc
02-10-2007, 08:47 PM
yeah you can tell by the little messy bits on the right side of the tread and the fact that the left is more worn that the wheel had a huge amount of toe in

Beastlee
02-10-2007, 09:16 PM
yep they were like new when put on ,and only drove on motorway so no/rally
it looks like it has been dragged in away the treads were like string as you can see in pic .
you gettin me worried now :inquisiti :inquisiti
ian

When you say 'like new' did you actually check the tread depth? Could you post a pic of the other rear tyre for comparison?
I wouldn't worry too much it's probably something daft.

ianturbo
02-10-2007, 09:48 PM
will do tommorow , they were plenty on when i set off it looks like it needs a bit of a toe i to lie flat on deck ,any one have the toe in toe out figures ??
ian

wirdy
02-10-2007, 10:05 PM
I'm concerned at that fast tyre wear.:thinking:

I've seen that exact wear before with a collapsed wheel bearing that was not making as much noise as you might expect either.

This was under warranty on a '56' plate Citroen C4 VTR+ with 17k on the clock. The ****roen dealer initially refused to change the tyre until I pushed my workmate to call Head Office and complain.

wirdy
02-10-2007, 10:06 PM
oops dupe post.

ianturbo
02-10-2007, 10:29 PM
I'm concerned at that fast tyre wear.:thinking:

I've seen that exact wear before with a collapsed wheel bearing that was not making as much noise as you might expect either.

This was under warranty on a '56' plate Citroen C4 VTR+ with 17k on the clock. The ****roen dealer initially refused to change the tyre until I pushed my workmate to call Head Office and complain.
would there not be any movement or something wheel bearings are well bearings so either make a whine ore colaspse like me on a saturday nite ??:5shots: :5shots:

wirdy
04-10-2007, 12:13 AM
would there not be any movement or something wheel bearings are well bearings so either make a whine ore colaspse like me on a saturday nite ??:5shots: :5shots:

forgot to mention it was BOTH rear bearings fubar'ed on the VTR.

I know what you mean and I was foxed by the symptoms too.

Rather surprisingly the answer is no movement and only a small amount of noise that could easily be dismissed as normal pad rubbing noise. The only signs were excess wear on the insides of the rear tyres and a squeak from the rear brakes when reversing.
When we jacked up the car there was no movement at all, the only other indication was a 'notchiness' as the wheel was rotated.

Your problem may be something else all together. Just wanted to share this knowledge.

Subaru ETA
04-10-2007, 10:24 AM
were the tyres inflated properly?

Paul Beazer
04-10-2007, 12:47 PM
I wouldnt have thought incorrect inflation would have caused that sort or wear pattern on the tread. Something to do with the wheel geometry isnt right, but what is causing it??

CANDEE
05-10-2007, 12:47 AM
Incorrectly balanced wheel?

ianturbo
07-10-2007, 11:07 PM
lookin at car wheel looks a bit skew ,instead of / \ one looks \ \. but also pointin in at front , this is hard to show on here but lookin from back of car / and a bit more in at front of wheel :inquisiti
i think you might need to see if mi discription don't mean out /pan /pan
ian