PDA

View Full Version : De-cat

Nevman
01-10-2007, 10:28 PM
I know some of you guys got your cat replaced with through pipe.
My question is: Does it really make so much difference? If any? (anyone got rolling road tests to prove it?)
Does it feel more power / torque / response / fuel economy?
Is it really worthy to do it? (If so I'll probably replace mine as well)

Nick Mann
02-10-2007, 10:12 AM
It is worth doing, IMO. But if you have a standard back box, you won't notice much difference. Change both and you will! I changed both on my first VR4, and the first time I put my foot down in auto, it hit the rev limiter before it could change gear. The gearbox ECU was caught unawares with the extra power at high revs!

orionn2o
02-10-2007, 10:16 AM
I have no graphs to prove it but my car is louder and feels smoother without the cat. Especially at higher revs, it picks up much better!

White Lightning
02-10-2007, 12:13 PM
I ran with the stainless exhaust and cat still fitted for a while and then later removed the cat and fitted the decat and I agree that it is a mod well worth doing. The exhaust is louder (not sure if you want that are not) but the main benefit is that the car picks up much better ...

WildCards
02-10-2007, 12:31 PM
The sound is worth it!

My dads car was standard, but I wanted a little extra growl for our Le Mans trip earlier in the year, so when Richy serviced it I asked him to bung on a decat while he was at it. Dad wasn't too happy (mainly due to the stickers) but when we got back from LM he was over the moon with the sound the the extra feeling of grunt it gave, definately a worthwhile £50 IMO.

Davezj
02-10-2007, 01:09 PM
does anyone have a 2.5" de cat pipe for sale as i need one to cut up to make an exhaust filler section before the back box. the berk that had my car before me (don't know how it was) cut the mid section of the exhaust shorter to fit an after market back box,(and not cut the back box) which now needs replacing/fixing.
i have a ralliant back box to replace it but it won't fit. the pipe is about 8" short. hence i need to make a filler pipe. i have one of the flanges i need, 3 hole type, the other is the same as a de cat pipe, 2 hole type.

anyone got one, or got any ideas.

Dave

pitslayer
02-10-2007, 01:34 PM
immaking myself a decat pipe later. the foot long flexi has now gone now on mycar, just replaced the little one, and now the big one is gone. so i went to my auto factors got myself an exhaust out of theexhaust shed, with a length of flexi in it and it has a long bit of straight pipe on, and two flanges either end...prime decat pipe, so will measure it all up later, cut the pipe down, mate can weld the flexi on, and ill make the decat pipe, might have to make some now flanges with the plasma cutter thow

Nutter_John
02-10-2007, 01:55 PM
I have a selection of flanges and stainless ,bends and flexis ;)

pitslayer
02-10-2007, 02:57 PM
o`rly...... joblot? or individual sale? the wales-ing exhaust team might be interested in purchasing it......

wales-ing- definition, when you come to wales, visit our work shop and leave with a louder modified exhaust lol, then youve been walesd lol.

but yeh might be interested will ring the guys up later and see what they think

Nutter_John
02-10-2007, 04:16 PM
Still have quite a bit left over

Davezj
02-10-2007, 10:01 PM
Hi john,
i will post a pic of my frankinstien exhaust. to show what i am up against.

not on my own pc at the moment so i will post tomorrow night. Cheers Dave

pitslayer
03-10-2007, 01:53 AM
john would be seriously interested in how much you have and how much you want for it all

Nevman
09-10-2007, 10:05 PM
I've seen two different types of de-cat pipes 65mm i 76mm. If I decide to buy one, which one should I go for? I've got completely standard exhaust.

Nick Mann
09-10-2007, 10:25 PM
Probably the 65mm. The 76mm is probably not only pointless but might also not fit?