PDA

View Full Version : noise Galant Problem I really need help with - I'm desperate!!

vikvallabh82
02-10-2007, 08:10 PM
I have 2000 Galant V6 Sport (not Legnum) and i have been having this problem since i bought the car about a month ago, I have been to an independant garage and mitsu dealer - i'll get back to that in a bit. It has gotten a little better but i still need help, When driving at about 35 upwards (most noticable between 35 and 40ish) i get a low pitched whining noise from the Right rear of the car, the independant garage changed both wheel bearings and the mitsu dealer said it was the rear brake discs, so i went and got them changed, not the noise is quieter but it is still there. It is a constant tone very low pitch and at some speeds (again between 35 and 45) it gets a littel loud (and annoying) but if you go faster it becomes quieter (but is still there) I am completely lost. Can anyone help??!! has anybody had this problem - or know what it is (or is anyone a mechanic around hamopshire I can bring it along for u to look at - I would like to keep the car but I'd like it not to make the noise, If i dont get it sorted I'll just chuck the car and get something else. Maybe a ford mondeo! :(
Help Anyone!

psbarham
02-10-2007, 08:18 PM
have the garages cleaned and checked the rear callipers? when my original front ones seized they made a high pitched squealing warbling noise :inquisiti

vikvallabh82
02-10-2007, 08:31 PM
Dont know but seeing as i got it back today after doing my discs i plan to take it back first thing tomorrow I will get them to check. It is worth pointing out my noise is low pitched.

psbarham
02-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Dont know but seeing as i got it back today after doing my discs i plan to take it back first thing tomorrow I will get them to check. It is worth pointing out my noise is low pitched.

its worth a look , the rear calipers don't move much so are prone to sticking , as a quick test go for a 10 mile drive and use the brakes a reasonable amount then park up and see if the rear discs are warm, hot or bloody hot if they heat up beyond a sensible temp (after bedding in my front pads my rears were barely warm) then there is a problem

Paul Beazer
02-10-2007, 09:48 PM
Have you tried swapping the wheels from front to rear? Does the noise change / move? Just in case its some wierd out of balance tyre / wheel thing going on?
Just wondering, could it be some sort of wind induced vibration from loose handbrake cable / loose brake pipes / exhaust mount or even the bumper vibrating? I've seen mk2 mondeos rear bumpers flapping about a bit on the motorway before.

Where in hampshire are you? Im in pompey most days, would be happy to have a look at it (although im no pro mechanic!)

Oh and theres no need to get a modeo, thats just silly!

vikvallabh82
02-10-2007, 10:18 PM
I'm in andover but can come doen to pompey any time after normal working hours and weekends, pretty sure its not the handbrake cable (mitsu garage tightened it for me) or bady work, its all tightened up or exhaust given it a good ol shake it doesnt budge
it will try shifting the wheels tomorrow along with tracking and stuff.

vikvallabh82
02-10-2007, 10:19 PM
any others. I plan to print the thread out and show the mitsu garage so see if they can tick all the suggestions so keep them coming..

Davezj
03-10-2007, 01:05 PM
It's not something daft like a fuel pump. not sue where they are on a none VR4.

i had a noisy fuel pump on a cavalier which seemed to get louder at differint speeds but it was just moving in and out of sync with resonate frequencies of other parts vivrating in the car, which changed with speed.

vikvallabh82
03-10-2007, 05:37 PM
Im going to mitsu garage to actually take them on a test drive on friday i will run all these by them,
Paul beazer: yeah i'll take you up on your offer and come down to pompey if that scool with you. If he doesnt read this can somebody relay this on to him.
Cheers

Gly
03-10-2007, 07:37 PM
brake pads,
i had a problem with my farados (sp?) swaped pads from left to righ and the sound moved,

also those metal clip things either end of the caliper,
of there not tight on the caliper they will make strange noises

Paul Beazer
03-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Vik you have a pm.

Eurospec
03-10-2007, 11:20 PM
I recon that is either the rear pads being noise mo fos, or possibly a lack of anti squeal shims/backing etc, or as a couple of guys have suggested, it may be a stuck caliper.

It could even be something really simple like a bent dust shield touching the brakes.

Cheers,

Ben.

Nigelator
04-10-2007, 02:25 AM
My mate had low humming sound from the rear whhel on his car, sounded like the bearings. But we were more worried about the tire, it wasnt in good condition.

Got the spare on there just to check.

What happened was the inside of the tire was parting where the belty-ropes are!
Scarey!

Paul Beazer
04-10-2007, 12:55 PM
Vik, if you let the handbrake off on a slight slope, will the car roll easily, or does it stop / stay where it is??
If you jack up that side let the handbrake off and see if the wheel turns easily?

I dont think its the brake splash shield, that makes a godawful racket if it rubs the disk!