PDA

View Full Version : Galant V6-24 "Fuel Leak"?

luisigor
04-10-2007, 06:47 AM
Hi guys my name is Igor and I am relatively new to this site. (I think this is actually my first post.) I live in Dominican Republic and own a 1998 Mitsubishi Galant V6-24. The car is a beauty and, just like all of you, I'm pretty obsessed with my car :D. I have a couple of questions for you.

1- Where can I get all the part number for my car? The Mitsubishi dealer here is pretty expensive and when I try to look up parts in US websites they wont appear because my car is not the US version. (Totally different car). For example: Right now I'd like to know the part number for the original black floor mats. I need to change the engine and transmission mounts, the oil sump (Its leaking oil. I use Mobil1 Synthetic 0w-40 will use 5w-30 next oil change) and I think that soon I'll have to replace the O2 sensor. (Anyways I'd like to have ALL the part numbers.)

2- My car seems to have a fuel leak. The gas smells A LOT inside the car. Somebody told me that it could be the valve "gaskets or seals" (I don't now the name in English). I went to a place and scanned the computer and the sensors seem to be OK (O2 and MAF). The thing is my car smells like gas. I getting around 25 km/us gallon in city driving and about 55 km/us gallon in highway. (I think city is too low.) I there are no leaking hoses. I have not found any leaks.

3- The digital clock is going "COO-COO" It turns on and off randomly so I never have the correct time. Two friends have told me they have had the same problem in their Galants. Do I have to change it (What is the part number?) or can I fix it.

Thanks for your time guys. I really need to fix the fuel problem. The smell burns my nose hairs once ina while :p

Thanks,
Igor Ruiz

PS. I'm think I'll join CLUBVR4. Saw many interesting articles there. Is it worth it?

peter thomson
04-10-2007, 08:08 AM
Hi if you let us know your chassis number somebody will be able to tell you which part numbers you need. There is also an article in the members area to repair the clock as it is a common problem.
And welcome to the club. Joining as a full member will allow you to see the articles.

bradc
04-10-2007, 08:17 AM
you need a program called 'caps' and you can download it from here if you are a member for free.

You can also contact www.kempys.co.nz and ask them for the parts you need. They are very good and have a huge amount of parts in stock. They will understand your chassis number and be able to give you all the help you could ask for.

As for the fuel leak, there isn't much you can do other than inspect the car, there could be a leak on the filler, the tank, the pipe going to the engine, etc.

The clocks always do that! There are lots of articles about it, just search for clock :) Basically there can be two problems. One is that the cable isn't making perfect contact with the connections, just bending the little metal pins a millimetre or so should fix it. The other option is that the solder joints have dried out on the back of the clock where the connection is made, and you jsut need to resolder them.

Johnny_Cashed
04-10-2007, 06:27 PM
When I first got my car I could smell petrol when I got in - only figured it out a month or two later when I realised it was the petrol can in the boot!

Kieran
04-10-2007, 08:57 PM
The petrol smell could also be the Fuel tank seal. The VR-4 was recalled for this. I'm not sure if the problem affects other models from Japan or not. Again, if you can provide your chassis number (you can Private message one of us if you don't want to make it public), then we can eliminate this possibility.

The Vee
04-10-2007, 11:46 PM
Another check for the smell of fuel is the cannister on the bulkhead (firewall)where the tank fumes are vented to. It is black and has a vacuum hose to the manifold, the feed from the tank(vented fumes) and also a vent to atmosphere. This can smell quite a bit when the weather is hot, as I suspect it may well be in your location. Check the hoses are not cracked at all and maybe even the cannister itself is life expired.

luisigor
05-10-2007, 04:00 AM
Thanks guys! I really appreciate your help. The temperature here is about 34-37ÂșC day and 25-28 night. I'll check the cannister tomorrow morning, before I leave the car in the mechanic. (This afternoon my dad was driving the car and the battery light turned on. The car is not generating at all. The alternator is dead :( ) Can anyone tell me the part number for that? Kieran, I tried to send you a private message with the complete VIN number but your inbox is full. The VIN number for my Galant is JMYSREA5AWZ001***. If you need the remaining 3 number just let me know.

Something else... What program and cable do I need to diagnose the car with my laptop? And where can I get it?

Thanks!

bradc
05-10-2007, 07:34 AM
I am sure that the fuel tank recall only affected 4wd Legnums and Galants, so that may not be the problem!

luisigor
07-10-2007, 12:17 AM
Here are some Pics. What am I supposed to be looking at? I checked but I cant seem to find it... :S:S:

Does anyone know the Software and Cable I need to diagnose my Car (computer, sensors, etc..) ?

The Vee
07-10-2007, 06:40 PM
Not in your pics. I'll see if I can find one to post up.

The Vee
07-10-2007, 06:54 PM
Here you go!
Don't forget this is RHD pictured...........may not be in the same place

luisigor
14-10-2007, 07:59 PM
Well... I must be blind... But I cant find it. Anyways I'll take it to the workshop... and see if they can at least find it for me. Thanks for your help guys!