PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton faces Japan win inquiry

Nick VR4
04-10-2007, 01:56 PM
Formula One officials are investigating Lewis Hamilton's victory in Sunday's Japanese Grand Prix following complaints about erratic driving. Red Bull's Mark Webber has accused the Englishman of doing a "bad job" behind the safety car after being knocked out of the race while following Hamilton.
Hamilton's win at Fuji gave him a 12-point lead and put him on the verge of winning the world championship.
If he is found guilty, he could have his points from Japan erased.
BBC 5live commentator David Croft, who is at the Chinese Grand Prix for this weekend's race, says there are also suggestions that Hamilton may be penalised 10 places on the grid in Shanghai.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7027743.stm

Paul Beazer
04-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Not a case of "sour grapes" then?

ianturbo
04-10-2007, 02:20 PM
he was in front , they were behind !! that what i think !!
ian

thecustomer
04-10-2007, 02:47 PM
video from the stands that triggered the enquiry is here on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hWIfBkVQUk)

To me it looks like Lewis slowed & went wide because he'd caught the safety car.
I wouldn't be surprised to hear him say that he went wide to make sure he didn't get hit from behind. :inquisiti

I can't see what you'd penalise him for...

If his driving behind the safety car was erratic all the time (& they did over 20 laps behind it) then shouldn't the other teams have complained & the Stewards have notified Lewis' team?
And then penalise him if his driving didn't improve.

Will

ANTHONY
04-10-2007, 06:01 PM
without even reading the threads i bet it was Alonso that complained

Nick VR4
04-10-2007, 06:11 PM

Wrong LOL

Spirit
04-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Webber's comments at the FIA press conference today (talking about Lewis behind the safety car):

"I think he did a **** job behind the safety car. He did a **** job and that’s it. He spoke in the drivers’ briefing about how good a job he was going to do and then he did the job the opposite way, so we know for next time, it’s no problem. "

amsoil
04-10-2007, 06:58 PM
Unbelievable , Formula 1 Management have had the you tube vid scrubbed because of a copyright claim! Getting a bit toooooo much isn't it.
Well as they shafted Alonso for what he did back to Hamilton (after Hamilton shafted him) a few races ago, I'm sure sticking it to Hamilton for what he caused to Webber and whoever it was who went up his jacksy, is not beyond a possibility. I do have this nasty feeling that they could do this just to make the last 2 races really interesting .... could be wrong.... but!

caishanvr4
04-10-2007, 07:12 PM
Webber's comments at the FIA press conference today (talking about Lewis behind the safety car):

"I think he did a **** job behind the safety car. He did a **** job and that’s it. He spoke in the drivers’ briefing about how good a job he was going to do and then he did the job the opposite way, so we know for next time, it’s no problem. "

Major Player hating me thinks, regardless of how hamilton drove mr webber wouldn't have got near him and i would have major sour grapes if a rookie was a few points off winning the formula one championship.Its just sad that a fellow englishman is spitting his dummy out the pram when he should admire the natural driving ability of Mr Lewis. All the crap that lewis has been through and he's still producing the goods, will make him better and more determined to be NO.1

thecustomer
04-10-2007, 07:21 PM

Autosport has it that Tost of Torro Rosso complained
I guess he beat FA to it!

Nick Mann
04-10-2007, 09:23 PM
...fellow englishman...

Don't let any Australians see that!! /pan

I've not seen Mr. Webber rant like that at anybody before? Maybe it's been taken out of context, or maybe there really is something to it?

thecustomer
04-10-2007, 11:40 PM
Don't let any Australians see that!! /pan

I've not seen Mr. Webber rant like that at anybody before? Maybe it's been taken out of context, or maybe there really is something to it?

In his eyes, between the two kids - Lewis & Seb, Mark Webber just had a podium & a shot at his first win taken away from him.

You'd be pissed!

pitslayer
05-10-2007, 01:11 AM
sorry but hamilton was D|c*ing about, and i agree with whats been said about him, he kept speeding up and jamming the brakes on, in torrential rain behind a saftey car, if he had kept it going the same speed the accident wouldnt of occured, take the 12 points off him and set him back on the grid.
first time in torrential rain
first time behind a saftey car
first grand prix on the track for 30 years
and he was P*SS*NG about... why speed up then slam the brakes on all the time wasnt just on one occasion it was all the time
i hope he does get the points taken off him, and looses gridpostion

bradc
05-10-2007, 07:36 AM
sounds like he was doing it to keep his brakes warm, and if he was doing it repeatedly then the other drivers should have figured it out and kept back a bit. How many times did he jam the brakes on before the incident?

Nick Mann
05-10-2007, 09:44 AM
Sorry Pitslayer - I have to say I think you are talking cr@p! Brad has hit the nail on the head IMO.

He is trying to keep heat in his tyres and his brakes. Happens all the time. There have been similar accidents in the same situation in perfect conditions on large tracks. If conditions are rubbish then take a different line to the guy in front, leave a bigger gap, be more aware. I don't think it is fair to blame the entire incident on Hamilton.

thecustomer
05-10-2007, 09:51 AM
"take a different line to the guy in front, leave a bigger gap, be more aware."
I agree Nick

The safety car was on the left
Lewis went wide right
Mark stayed left
... & the Torro Rosso stayed left, looked right to see what Lewis was doing, and ran into the back of the Red Bull.

If you hit the car in front (in F1 it's never a Toyota) then it's your fault.
Nobody else's
And certainly not the fault of the guy driving the car in front of the car in front

Will

Nick VR4
05-10-2007, 11:15 AM
Video

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/sol/newsid_7020000/newsid_7028100/7028138.stm?bw=bb&mp=rm&news=1

vampirej
05-10-2007, 12:14 PM
I think they just couldn't accept the fact that a "rookie" could do so well in his first season racing in F1... Because it's so close for him to win the championship, in his first season, people will find all sorts of reasons to penalise him... but that's only my views~~~

White Lightning
05-10-2007, 12:38 PM
Can't seem to get the video to run but I absolutely agree with Nick above ... the guy behind should have left a bigger gap!

WildCards
05-10-2007, 01:10 PM
said a load of bo!!ox

Another well informed post, well done. You really do amaze me, I never before realised how much sh!te could be produced by one man, congratulations. FFS.

Seems to me Hamilton was trying to keep heat in the necessary places but going wide looked more like he was trying to get out of the spray caused by the safety car. Visability must be really poor at slow speeds with that much water being thrown up.

R2 news headlines have just stated that Hamilton has talked about quitting F1. I don't think he'lldo it, but you an understand his feelings after all the crap he's going through in his first season.

Nutter_John
05-10-2007, 01:32 PM
Just been annouced that he will not face any penalties

Nick Mann
05-10-2007, 01:37 PM
Honestly, in my opinion, Hamilton should be on a pedestal for his performance in his rookie season. Consistantly level with or ahead of the current World Champion in an identical car.

Too many people, and I'm not talking just fellow drivers here, seem to have it in for him because he is new into F1. So what? He's proving himself to be a capable, well spoken and level headed driver. That puts him above many others on the grid! Why do we need to criticise him for that?

Nick Mann
05-10-2007, 01:37 PM
Just been annouced that he will not face any penalties

:thumbsup:

Right choice!

Nick VR4
05-10-2007, 01:52 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7029797.stm

thecustomer
05-10-2007, 02:01 PM
R2 news headlines have just stated that Hamilton has talked about quitting F1. I don't think he'lldo it, but you an understand his feelings after all the crap he's going through in his first season.

heads up

it's contract time!

I'll bet that's Lewis just placing a little pressure on the team over next year's deal.

It might also mean that there's been movement on FA's contract

None of these announcements ever happens without there being a reason

Will

caishanvr4
05-10-2007, 04:55 PM
Honestly, in my opinion, Hamilton should be on a pedestal for his performance in his rookie season. Consistantly level with or ahead of the current World Champion in an identical car.

Too many people, and I'm not talking just fellow drivers here, seem to have it in for him because he is new into F1. So what? He's proving himself to be a capable, well spoken and level headed driver. That puts him above many others on the grid! Why do we need to criticise him for that?

Well said that man nick

Lewis for no1 lewis for no1

caishanvr4
05-10-2007, 04:57 PM
[quote=WildCards]Another well informed post, well done. You really do amaze me, I never before realised how much sh!te could be produced by one man, congratulations. FFS.

And a well said to you too, lets have a drink :chugchug:

caishanvr4
05-10-2007, 05:01 PM
I think they just couldn't accept the fact that a "rookie" could do so well in his first season racing in F1... Because it's so close for him to win the championship, in his first season, people will find all sorts of reasons to penalise him... but that's only my views~~~

And a mention out to you to, drink :chugchug:

Spirit
05-10-2007, 08:03 PM
The right decision IMO.....let's hope he takes the title this weekend so we don't have to suffer the anquish of the final race .....

go Lewis !!! /rally

oh yeah......and it's only 10 points for a win, not 12 !