PDA

View Full Version : Kiaora!! Newbie from Wellington!

J-Mo-15
06-10-2007, 05:39 AM
Hello people,
Im James and im living in Wellington NZ. Currently driving a levin... i know i know haha. But spotted this Legnum on TradeMe
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Mitsubishi/auction-120644308.htm
No doubt it probably belongs to someone on here haha but yeah if anyone would like to tell me what they think persuade me to either buy it or pass, i would gladly appreciate it.

Cheers
James

bradc
06-10-2007, 05:51 AM
looks like a nice car, and it sounds as if he has looked after it as well.

J-Mo-15
06-10-2007, 06:21 AM
yea thats one of the reasons im more inclined to get this one. the engine bay looks rather clean etc too

Gly
06-10-2007, 08:05 AM
check he has proof of the "big" service,
cambelt/tensioners/pullys, other aux belts...
if it hasnt had it done, or he cant prove its been done, this will set you back around $1000 to have done properly,

it should be done every 80-100thou kms
if the tensioners havent been done. it wasnt a proper job and you risk the cambelt snaping/coming loose and doing serious engine damage.

also the so called custom piping?? where is it?? looks like 90% standard pipe work with a aftermarket intercooler,

see if he can provide proof of this "batman clutch" sounds suspect to me?

also check that the AYC and diff fluids have been done, this is another $300 odd dollars, and the ayc is something that needs to well looked after.

IMO $9500 is to high for a car of this age, and theres "no real demand for them"
ie. bradc sold his triptonic vr4 which had no expence spared getting it up to standard and was very tidy IMO for about 4k

i would expect to pay around the 7-8k max for this car on the private market.

J-Mo-15
06-10-2007, 08:24 AM
Cool cool, thanks for that. Keeping in mind i am not extremely mechanically minded, will an AA inspection thingy weed out some of the things you just listed? In regards to price, 9grand was the max i wanted to spend. maybe i will talk to him.

Gly
06-10-2007, 08:30 AM
nope, an AA check wont spot those things..
it one of those things where he/she really needs to provide proof off work,
never take there word for it.

an AA check is always good, as they may pickup things you may not,
also get a VIR to check if theres any money owing, or discrepances with the odometer,

also have a read thru our buyers guide if you havent already.
http://www.clubvr4.com/index.php?page=BuyersGuide

J-Mo-15
06-10-2007, 08:44 AM
yea i read that. some good stuff in there. I know it sounds typical an all, but i want a "tough car", which i guess you could say looks boyracer-ish. but i need it for work hence the wagon. so wouldnt mind all the things like BOV, turbo timer etc. and i figure being only my second car, i might as well buy a "pre-souped" car rather than doing it myself.

Gly
06-10-2007, 08:56 AM
fair enough,
just be aware that its been tickled a bit,
so it may have also been driven hard.

also get a quote for insurance, it can be expensive :P

J-Mo-15
06-10-2007, 09:03 AM
haha cheers, thanks mate, appreciate it. any other questions i come up with, ill come find you haha :2thumbsup