PDA

View Full Version : New to the scene!

barney_r1
06-10-2007, 06:09 PM
As requested a quick hello - looking at buying my first legnum, just gotta convince myself that fuel isn't an issue!!!!! Driven plenty of quick cars and been trained to drive em properly - not interested in hero stories and tales of amazing road talent, anyone can drive a car fast, its when and where you do it and how it's done that matters.
Been and driven my first legnum today, a tiptronic version. Very nice indeed, went well, handles fine and sounded the pooches pods. This one was lowered (to much) and had an aftermarket exhaust on it. Its up for £4995, but has been on the forecourt for over a year without a price change, its got a few scrapes, isn't the right colour for me and just felt a little bit ratty, battery was dead and wouldn't hold a charge, steering wheel wobbled the whole way and it just needs a bit of TLC. However........ if anyone knows where i can get my hands on a white manual version, that hasn't been dropped, tuned or abused please let me know!!! I hope to offer and except some interesting pieces of info.

Paul Beazer
06-10-2007, 06:39 PM
Welcome.

This leggie, was it near to you? Manuals seen to ebb and flow, sometimes there arent any around for ages then a few appear. Tippy ones crop up more than manuals.

barney_r1
06-10-2007, 06:42 PM
Yeah about 10 miles away, not seen any others down here really. I'll go with the tide, the right one is out there just waiting for me i know it haha

Nick VR4
06-10-2007, 06:43 PM
Hi and /Welcome2 to the forum

MPBVr4
06-10-2007, 06:45 PM
Welcome to the club. Any advice needed just ask plenty of knowledge on here.
Manuals are a pretty rare beast. Have a look in our classifieds a few "known" examples in there. There was a white tiptonic in Barnstaple on Petrolheads.
Happy hunting!

barney_r1
06-10-2007, 06:50 PM
The white you one you mentioned i think runs out of Bideford, some guy who has an insurance company or something? The Legnums on ebay seem cheap?? is £4000 about right? And pleeeeeeeeaaaase tell me if you are sensible with the throttle its not as bad as i think it is

MPBVr4
06-10-2007, 06:55 PM
24 mpg if you're careful but normally about 18 if you use it as it was intended/rally

barney_r1
06-10-2007, 06:58 PM
See thats not that bad really???? I had a Hilux Surf that i'm sure was worse, flippin fuel prices - when is the next strike!!!

Spirit
07-10-2007, 09:01 AM
Welcome to CVR4.......and good luck in your hunt for quite a rare beast.

Malc has already mentioned the one on Pistonheads, but your question regarding is £4k about right is (as with any car) dependant on age, condition, mileage, service history etc.

The one you looked at wasn't near Dawlish was it ?

ANTHONY
07-10-2007, 07:08 PM
iv got a manual legnum i can get up t0 28mpg out of it

HMG1K
08-10-2007, 11:04 AM
There's a fantastic looking Legnum (though looks like a Galant version of the estate under the official UK 200 imported) on AutoTrader... Price is higher than what you are looking at but it is a 2000 model, with 54k on the clock, auto, but not in white...

www.AutoTrader.co.uk - I think it's round London way - best to put in the search option of 'Sort Price High to Low' and look 'National'...

Looks a decent VR4!

Nick Mann
08-10-2007, 01:54 PM
KTC appear to have a manual pearlescent white facelift Legnum in. Search for KTC on here or elsewhere on the web before you go looking though!

Paul Beazer
08-10-2007, 01:56 PM
KTC appear to have a manual pearlescent white facelift Legnum in. Search for KTC on here or elsewhere on the web before you go looking though!
Or just assume its not what it appears to be and leave it well alone!

Nick Mann
08-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Back to the old argument, eh Paul?! I would buy from KTC, but I would go in knowing what their reputation is and with my eyes wide open.

There are people that have got cracking cars from them, as well as ones who have got rubbish.

HMG1K
08-10-2007, 02:03 PM

That one at KTC has been there for a while - around 3 months... Looks beautiful though. The only delving I did on it is its mileage... At the time it was 71,000 miles they said (Or they may have got it confused and meant 71,000 km...

By the way, the one I mentioned earlier on AUtoTrader is listed under the 'Galant' model.

Nick Mann
08-10-2007, 02:06 PM
By the way, the one I mentioned earlier on AUtoTrader is listed under the 'Galant' model.

Your suggestion works anyway. Search for VR4, national, highest to lowest price. It is the first match. I have to agree - it looks fantastic. But I would say that, as mine looks quite similar!! /pan

barney_r1
08-10-2007, 08:47 PM
Guys - thanks for all your advice so far on these motors, i've checked the one out (above link) loks awesome as well. The one o looked at wasn't near Dawlish - it was at the Fremington (near Barnstaple) branch of Car Imports South West

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/cars_search.asp?nU=0&make=MITSUBISHI&model=LEGNUM&min_pr=&max_pr=&postcode=EX36%204BT&miles=40&max_records=200&modelexact=1&photo=1&hassearched=Y

Thats the one i drove but like i said, just felt a bit ratty, and the guy has nearly put me off by telling me the rear diff oil needs replacing more often than my pants (i can't tell any last owners have done this) and that a new one will be about £2500!!!!!

HMG1K
08-10-2007, 09:22 PM
Guys - thanks for all your advice so far on these motors, i've checked the one out (above link) loks awesome as well. The one o looked at wasn't near Dawlish - it was at the Fremington (near Barnstaple) branch of Car Imports South West

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/cars_search.asp?nU=0&make=MITSUBISHI&model=LEGNUM&min_pr=&max_pr=&postcode=EX36%204BT&miles=40&max_records=200&modelexact=1&photo=1&hassearched=Y

Thats the one i drove but like i said, just felt a bit ratty, and the guy has nearly put me off by telling me the rear diff oil needs replacing more often than my pants (i can't tell any last owners have done this) and that a new one will be about £2500!!!!!

That's a beautiful car - and looks very clean, just like the ad says... However if that's your gut reaction after a test drive, and the rear diff oil needs changing as much as the guy says, then stick your £5k in your pocket and move on to the next Galant / Legnum... You're better of spending £1k or so more on a better model than waste on an unscheduled service if something goes wrong with it...

I'm sure other folk on here will agree although these cars are rare to come by, when they do come up they are worth the wait... I've been waiting a good few years for a face lift Galant in white to come along in Sport or Elegance trim with leather, checking nearly every day to see if one came up... But nothing did. Then out of no where a white facelift VR4 saloon (that belonged to a member here) came up at a Mitsubishi dealer and I'm now in the process of buying that.

It'll be worth the wait for you if you find this Legnum isn't up to what you are after.:happy:

Kieran
08-10-2007, 10:56 PM
I wouldn't panic about the diff oil. He means the AYC fluid - This does have a specified interval of 4,500 miles. It's not a big job to do.

The actual GL-5 oil in the diffs will last a lot longer than that.:scholar:

HMG1K
09-10-2007, 09:09 AM
Barney - you seen the white Legnum on Pistonheads.com ...? Another lovely example...

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/257542.htm

Ad reads: "1996 mitsubushi legnum vr4 estate , full tiptronic, 280 bhp 2.5 twin turbo v6, hks exhaust,mint original car had no accident damage or paintwork totally faultless in everyway, full mot and 6 months tax the best anywhere , car is in belfast n ireland close to all sea ports but will deliver anywhere at cost to buyer the best most genuine vr4 around"

Paul Beazer
09-10-2007, 12:47 PM
Barney - you seen the white Legnum on Pistonheads.com ...? Another lovely example...

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/257542.htm

Ad reads: "1996 mitsubushi legnum vr4 estate , full tiptronic, 280 bhp 2.5 twin turbo v6, hks exhaust,mint original car had no accident damage or paintwork totally faultless in everyway, full mot and 6 months tax the best anywhere , car is in belfast n ireland close to all sea ports but will deliver anywhere at cost to buyer the best most genuine vr4 around"
I think the seller is a dealer. TBH for a car that age im suspicious that its apparently mint. Buyer beware!

barney_r1
09-10-2007, 05:42 PM
That ones on Belfast as well, not cheap to get back over to Devon, the search continues. Gotta sell the bike first as well!!! So the oil isn't an issue in the rear diff then - any other little bits n bobs that have to be maintained like a lady?? I realise its a big fast car but is it actually delicate? What breaks and what are parts like on em? Are they easy to service, how much does it cost to get them seen to generally?

1996 P Reg MITSUBISHI LEGNUM 2.5 V6 VR4 Twin turbo

I'm popping down to see this one on saturday - 42k, white and manual - fingers crossed!!!

barney_r1
09-10-2007, 05:53 PM
thats not the right link - in fact its not even a link sorry, it is.........

http://www.thelotuscentre-usedcars.co.uk/GetDealer.do?did=14284&pageid=2

onpage 2 if thats the wrong page.

Nick Mann
09-10-2007, 06:15 PM
Engine oil and AYC oil are 4500 miles officially. There is a lot of info on here about using good oils for longer. I can't remember the exact intervals of all the fluids well, but they are all quite regular! Except the ATF, which is often neglected. Neglected ATF is often linked to premature auto failure. Well maintained boxes seem to last.
Parts are expensive new from a dealer, but most things are available cheaper or second hand and most sources are known to the club. We can significantly reduce your running costs from the outrageous figure they could be, especially if you are willing to do a bit of DIY!
Good luck with your next viewing.

MPBVr4
09-10-2007, 07:49 PM
thats not the right link - in fact its not even a link sorry, it is.........

http://www.thelotuscentre-usedcars.co.uk/GetDealer.do?did=14284&pageid=2

onpage 2 if thats the wrong page.

That one looks very tidy! Is it a new import?

barney_r1
09-10-2007, 08:11 PM
Not sure if its a new import, got a phone call coming from the garage tomorrow - i'll let you know on saturday after i have been and seen. Thanks again Nick for your info, there is a huge amount of info on here your right, really just trying to weigh it all up in my mind, heart says yes, head says no, i am lucky enough to drive fast cars at work, but i want a drivers car, that gets me to the beach in good time. lol

barney_r1
11-10-2007, 08:29 PM
Guys, just to let you know i went and saw the one i have been on about today - my frickin god!!!!! I have a drive of it booked for saturday, it is lovely, 42k, manual white one. No dings or dents - inside is totally mint, with the (i guess) original twin deck stereo - do they normally come with BOSE speakers??? I love it and am gonna buy it, just gotta sell the bike!!!! I'm looking at putting a grand down then crossing my fingers that the bike sells fast. I'm totally utterly in love with it, it looks the buisness, mean, lean, but stunning. The only thing that i have noted on it, is a small (tiny) bit of headwork welding has been done at some point, about the size of a 2p, on the left side of the head. Looks tidy, but why - what would cause an injury in the first place like this??? He will put a new clutch in, fully service it and also do the cam belt. if i can eeek out 25mpg i can live with it. Just gotta have it.........

bradc
12-10-2007, 06:56 AM
That all sounds good, the weld on the head sounds strange, have you got any pics of it?

25mpg is easy to get out of them if you drive normally. 30mpg is a bit harder though, but still do-able

Kieran
12-10-2007, 08:16 AM
25mpg is easy to get out of them if you drive normally. 30mpg is a bit harder though, but still do-able

This is still not the experience of us in the UK - even those with manuals.

I'd say 25mpg IS achievable if you drive gently and off boost.

30mpg is possible if you are being towed!

bradc
12-10-2007, 08:38 AM
my record is like 33mpg or something remember?

Didn't John record over 30mpg once as well?

Nutter_John
12-10-2007, 08:57 AM
Yeah been very very close to 30 something like 29.8 mpg on a 425 mile run

peter thomson
12-10-2007, 12:55 PM
It has ganador mirrors as well as a non standard grill. Nice looking Legnum

barney_r1
14-10-2007, 03:57 PM
Just an update for you guys - went and looked at it again, but the small damage to the head has put me off. It is a stunning car but not prepared to have a big motor with a weak link potentially in it.
However........... I have just been and put a deposit down on a white manual Leggie, currently sat in the docks at Southhampton. 20 thousand miles on the clock and in tip top condition. I have a contact who deals in them and found this one just at the right time. Full warranty and a fresh import, never been abused in this country before. Hopefully it all goes to plan, any problems at the docks and it won't be coming down here, as and when it arrives i'll post some pics, but i'd imagine it looks just like all the others really. Do they all come with BOSE speakers??

barney_r1
14-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Oh just another one - who gives the best insurance prices???

Kieran
14-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Ooooh! Exciting!! What year is the car?

Regarding insurance - Sky Insurance or Lifesure are recommended on here.

BOSE speakers are a bonus! The joy of imports, I wonder what other toys will be on there?:afro:

Do you have any of the Jap documentation - Such as the De-Reg cert or the auction sheet? That'll give you a good idea as to the overall condition of the car at export and is more useful than just a low mileage reading. Certainly, as it's covered so few miles, I would make a thorough service your first job once you've got it on the road.:scholar:

barney_r1
14-10-2007, 08:49 PM
I'll ring Sky and Lifesure tom. and see what they quote. Best so far is £500?? is that good? As for the certs. etc, matey boy is going up on tuesday to bid and collect it, so no certs yet that i have seen, Auction sheet and all will be coming if its bought by the company. Can the miles be "clocked" on these cars easily?

barney_r1
23-10-2007, 09:10 AM
Its finally arrived, been serviced, mot'd, 4 new tyres, taxed for 6 months and comes with a full warranty. Hopefully going to pick it up tis week, the lack of roof rails has made me wonder if these are generally extra or if they were factory fitted? Looks a bit weird without them i reckon. Anyone got any hey want to flog?

http://users.autoexposure.co.uk/classicdd.cfm?Account=SHD7066737&VehicleID=AETV16083993&Image=http://users.autoexposure.co.uk/is/autoedit/SHD7066737/AETV16083993_1a.jpg

HMG1K
23-10-2007, 09:58 AM
Its finally arrived, been serviced, mot'd, 4 new tyres, taxed for 6 months and comes with a full warranty. Hopefully going to pick it up tis week, the lack of roof rails has made me wonder if these are generally extra or if they were factory fitted? Looks a bit weird without them i reckon. Anyone got any hey want to flog?

http://users.autoexposure.co.uk/classicdd.cfm?Account=SHD7066737&VehicleID=AETV16083993&Image=http://users.autoexposure.co.uk/is/autoedit/SHD7066737/AETV16083993_1a.jpg

Looks beautiful ! Congratulations!

With insurance - have you tried Admiral...? They came in at £510 fully comp - just £150 more for me going from a 1990 Galant 2.0 GLSI to a 2002 Galant VR4, as a new customer, and in London... Others wanted £1,000 to £2,000.

Nick Mann
23-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Roof bars were optional but I have retro-fitted them in the past. You just need to find some to buy I guess!

Good luck with ownership - I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :thumbsup:

barney_r1
23-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Guys just another quick one, its probably me but it looks ever so slightly differant compared to a few others. It also hasn't got VR-4 on the back, is there a possibility its a galant with a legnum badge??? There just seems to be something missing on it.

barney_r1
23-10-2007, 02:14 PM
Oh, and insurance is sorted, £400 for me and the good lasy to drive fully comp with protected insurance and breakdown cover from a briliant broker in Swindon.

barney_r1
23-10-2007, 02:15 PM
thats meant to be lady not lasy to - sorry