PDA

View Full Version : Cambelt and Co

KelseyGK
07-10-2007, 07:37 AM
Kia Ora all,

I need some advice from VR4 experts like you.

I own a 1998 Manual Legnum VR4 with 92,000 kms on the odometer. Mitsubishi told me that I should consider changing the cambelt at the next service. I am booking the car in next week.
I have been told that the engine will need to come off to change the cambelt. I would like to know if there is anything else I should ask Mistsi to have a look at when the engine is out of the car. I have read in other posts that the water pump may be a good idea.
Mitsubishi changed the engine rockers last year (86,000 kms) and did not mention anything about the cambelt. I would have expected them to give me the option to change it at that time, but they did not. This time, I would like to tell them exactly what to have a look at. :thinking:

Thanks a lot in advance for your time.

bradc
07-10-2007, 07:45 AM
Yeah definitely worth getting the cambelt changed. It is worth getting the waterpump done, and get the camblet tensioner changed as well.

KelseyGK
07-10-2007, 07:48 AM
Thanks.
What about the clutch and the transmission?

bradc
07-10-2007, 07:51 AM
change the trans fluid, there is no need to do anything to the clutch until it starts to slip

Gly
07-10-2007, 08:26 AM
I have been told that the engine will need to come off to change the cambelt.

thats a load of horse ****.

the engine stays in,

change..
cambelt, tensioners, idlers, water pump, alt belt, PS belt,

it would be cheaper not to go to mitsi for this. it will be around the 1000-1200$ mark at mitsi,

$800-1000 at a good workshop.

KelseyGK
07-10-2007, 08:53 AM
Thanks Bradc and Gly.
I will shop around re workshop.

bradc
07-10-2007, 09:03 AM
If you are in Auckland consider taking it to Ralliart on Olive Rd in Penrose.

KelseyGK
08-10-2007, 01:27 AM
Will do. Thanks

KiwiTT
08-10-2007, 01:43 AM
Ask for a full "D" Service if you do not know how well it has been looked after.

Cambelt, Spark plugs, Water pump, all fluids (including AYC and gearbox oils) and all belts replaced.

Subaru ETA
08-10-2007, 09:49 AM
did they ask you if you wanted the spark plugs done when they did the rockercover gaskets?

they wouldnt have asked bout the cambelt then coz the manifold dont need to come off to do so.

get cambelt, tensioners, idlers, water pump, alt belt, PS belt, and crank and cam seals changed.

depending on money spark pugs (if not already done). infact, go for what kiwi tt has suggested. will be expensive but atleast then you know where everything is at. and hey - its cheaper than an engine, diff or gearbox rebuild!

KelseyGK
08-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Can't remember about the spark plugs....I know that the car was bled last time. Mitsi say they changed all fluids. I will have a look at the bill for the details.
Thanks a lot guys. I don't know a lot about cars but I really would like to keep that Legnum going for a long time. Such a fun car to drive.

HMG1K
16-10-2007, 02:45 PM
Ask for a full "D" Service if you do not know how well it has been looked after.

Cambelt, Spark plugs, Water pump, all fluids (including AYC and gearbox oils) and all belts replaced.

Just looking at the D service - is the water pump replacement when getting the cambelt changed a special request to Mitsubishi dealer service - or is it carried out as part of the service..? It doesn't mention it in any of the A - D service schedules listed in the Resource library

Thank you in advance.

KelseyGK
18-10-2007, 03:10 AM
Just got the Legnum serviced at Ralliart...NZ$ 2,200. New cambelt, water pump, PS belt and alt belt, tensioners, one idler, disc and pads brakes, 6 spark plugs, rotors (I guess the brake ones...not too sure about callipers) and a WOF.
Do you think this is a lot of money? I am very happy with their service. I just hope that the car will be ok for a while now...the insurance is coming up soon :-(

bradc
18-10-2007, 04:53 AM
That sounds about right considering the amount of stuff you got changed.