PDA

View Full Version : Pre and Post Boost Controller Power

Spirit
13-01-2004, 12:19 AM
My Blitz boost controller is being fitted tomorrow, so I decided to take the VR4 for a blast just now to get a current maximum power reading as a basis to compare improvements INSERT INTO post VALUES (hopefully!).

I am using my Apexi RSM for this and I have this set up as a Subaru Legacy for power readings INSERT INTO post VALUES (not as precise as BDA has done but I have nowhere to manually set it up around here); but this will be fine for this exercise anyhow.

Best reading: 279Ps = 275Bhp @ 5783rpm INSERT INTO post VALUES (Ps to Bhp = x 0.98632)

This is probably fairly accurate anyhow as I have a pre-facelift 260Ps ECU and have the induction, exhaust and de-cat done.

Any comments on this reading, and I will post some more readings tomorrow using the same settings for comparison.

zedy1
13-01-2004, 12:28 AM
good luck mate, and make sure you have the right settings pete as the boost controller can be abit of a dangerous toy

Spirit
13-01-2004, 12:31 AM
Thanks mate, yeah I will take care - although I have a little function which BDA has advised me you and he don't have - a boost limiter to prevent over boost ! I can set the max boost and once it hits this it reduces the power to whatever I set it to. As long as I set this first I can't go far wrong INSERT INTO post VALUES ( I hope)

Brind
13-01-2004, 01:13 AM
Good luck! can't wait to see the results.

enigma
13-01-2004, 08:19 AM
The power levels are a bit high, the reading you get is that at the wheels so if you are getting 280 at the wheels I would leave well alone ;) It will do to get some comparisons though!

Spirit
13-01-2004, 10:33 AM
Thats what I thought Dave, leave as it is for now until I can set it up like you. Anyhow, wish me luck - off in a minute !

enigma
13-01-2004, 11:20 AM
Good Luck! Pics would be good ;)

Spirit
13-01-2004, 05:43 PM
:furious3: Things are not good !

Install went fine - but.......cannot stop car over boosting !

Seems the single solenoid may not be able to cope with the twin turbo on the VR4. Spoken to Blitz UK and he had no settings or nothing for our car, but suggested the solenoid may be the issue. It does not damn well say that on the websites though ! He reckoned if our turbos spool up together then may be too much for it to handle INSERT INTO post VALUES (??but meant to cope with 18psi); where some twin turbos the 2nd turbo kicks in later than the 1st so should cope with these. ???? Help anybody ??????

Dave, any thoughts mate ?

enigma
13-01-2004, 05:47 PM
The Apexi uses a single solenoid just fine, what sort of settings are you trying?

Spirit
13-01-2004, 06:05 PM
As low as 10 Ratio and 0 gain mate

Spirit
13-01-2004, 07:10 PM
Looks like I may have to get the Spec R which has dual solenoids and sell the Spec S. Another £200+ up the spout by the look of it. Taking the car back to the garage who fitted it tonight at 7.30 INSERT INTO post VALUES (yes, 7.30! damn they are good) to get them to double check everything and make it safe to drive until I sort a Spec R if required.

enigma
13-01-2004, 07:28 PM
To be honest with you something sounds wrong with the installation. With such low settings you should see only about 0.5Bar boost. The solenoid should be shut for 90% of the time, as I said yesterday it is a fail safe system.

Spirit
13-01-2004, 07:38 PM
Thanks Dave, fingers crossed this end. Don't really want to have to part with more cash at this time. I will update once I see them tonight.

enigma
13-01-2004, 07:43 PM
When you say overboosting, how much by? Do you have the installation instructions at all that you can post?

I reckon something is very wrong with your plumbing!

Spirit
13-01-2004, 07:49 PM
They still have the Japanese manual that came with it but there were no specifics for our engine in it anyhow, but they re-assurred me it was no problem. Overboosting, well as soon as I floored it in any gear it would shoot past the 0.9bar limiter and I would sh1t myself ! Peak hold was 1.46 at one point !

enigma
13-01-2004, 07:53 PM
Take this with you tonight, it is very useful!

diagram (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.hidle/images/install.jpg)

Spirit
13-01-2004, 07:56 PM
Great minds and all that, just downloaded and printed that page from the Apexi USA website mate - thanks

Spirit
13-01-2004, 10:32 PM
Okay we have an update, and it's good news ! :D :D

After much bonnet up, fiddle, bonnet down test and repeat several times we established that one pipe was connected wrongly and we have a working boost controller ! Boy, am I a relieved man - I was NOT popular when I told Shaz more money may be required earlier INSERT INTO post VALUES (she didn't want one in the first place).

Anyhow, had a quick play up and down the motorway and with a ratio of 70 and a gain of 10 I got a max reading of 306 Ps INSERT INTO post VALUES (which is 27 up on yesterday :D ); however a quick 0-60 test proved a little slower than standard :| so need to tinker a bit more.

Not had chance to take any pics yet but will do so at the weekend and post them. The controller is nicely stowed away in the "fag packet" holder.

enigma
13-01-2004, 11:10 PM
I am thinking that slower 0-60 times mean that the gain is not up high enough - peak power is up, but the time to get there is too long! Take a look at the graph in my long boost spiking post and have a go with your new Camcorder mount and record the power throughout the rev range in 3rd and 4th gear INSERT INTO post VALUES (on a test track ;) ) as displayed on your RSM. Follow the directions on the boost spiking thread and see what you come up with.

Spirit
13-01-2004, 11:16 PM
Will do Dave, thanks for your advise once again - will spend more time on this over the next few days and will keep this thread updated as I go along

enigma
13-01-2004, 11:20 PM
Anytime! Believe me you wont be sorry! I hought it was some plumbing arse about face, glad its sorted.......just dont get greedy! I run standard boost 95% of the time, I only switch to turbo nutter bar steward mode when someone thinks they are going to have me! ;)

Spirit
13-01-2004, 11:24 PM
I will do the same, have 4 programable modes so will get a low,standard and high mode set up and use the 4th to tinker with

Brind
14-01-2004, 01:40 AM
Probably get bashed for saying this but if you can alter settings to increase pressure, could you in fact stop or lower pressure aswell to the extent of almost turning the turbos off to increase fuel economy? and drive the car as if it was almost a normal 2.5 V6 car.

Glad the problem is sorted too!

enigma
14-01-2004, 08:19 AM
The car is designed to run with boost pressure, turn it off completely and I think you will find the efficiency will be poor which will not really improve fuel consumption.

Spirit
24-01-2004, 10:34 PM
I have mine now running at a steady 1.0bar top setting.

To try and get a direct comparison, I mirrored BDA's Apexi RSM power loss settings and seem to peak around 305Ps - my 1/4 mile reduced to 14.09, but still need to tinker with the "Gain" setting to reduce the 0-62mph time (5.6s best so far). So more fun to be had yet on the "private" test track :D

Spirit
28-01-2004, 01:19 AM
Recorded best 0-62mph tonight - 5.39s - however overall power reduced slightly to 295PS - still more fun to be had here I think :-D

FTOLTD
28-01-2004, 09:48 AM
hey fellas what is the maximium boost you run your motors at

enigma
28-01-2004, 10:02 AM
I run at 1.05Bar, but I have found that there is not a lot of difference running at 1.0Bar. I guess it is due to the extra heat that is generated causing higher inlet temps and therefore a less dense mixture.

FTOLTD
28-01-2004, 10:33 AM
im running my motor at 18 Lb again

lets see how long it lasts

hopefully till i get the other one rebuilt

enigma
28-01-2004, 11:29 AM
What happened to the other one???? Melted pistons by any chance??!

How much for a rebuild?

Do you notice much difference at 18psi from 15psi? are you running water injection or a custom intercooler? Have you run any times yet? And can you make the southern meet on the 15th February in Swindon.....it would be great to see your car!

FTOLTD
28-01-2004, 11:34 AM
im in australia and i notice big differance between 15 and 18 and yes melted pistons. It is in FTO and has a few mods, yes to FMIC and has big single turbo, to many mods to list. will let you know price of rebuild when finished.

enigma
28-01-2004, 01:07 PM
I guess that means you wont be coming to Swindon then ;)

Any idea what sort of numbers you are running?

Power

Torque

0-100kph

1/4 mile

Mine are below:

290BHP @5450 rpm

~400lb/ft as an estimated figure from a power run

14.7ish

FTOLTD
28-01-2004, 02:21 PM
here is a link to some pics and dyno graphs.

http://photos.yahoo.com/dannyboyau

Been having problems getting a clutch that will hold you can see in the latest graph where it lets go and the one before that where it nearly let go.

currently running a custom made twin plate and it lets go at 1800 Lb tractive effort, not sure what that is in Ft Lb as there seems to be some disagreement between some folks on the forums to as to what it is, dosent really worry me as untill we can get a clutch to hold we wont be sure of what it can do.

On the last dyno it lets go at 4900 Rpm so if we can get the clutch to hold there is more room for improvment