PDA

View Full Version : Full Service History - Correct Definition

jal5075
09-10-2007, 09:05 PM
When someone says the car has full service history, relistically speaking does that mean........

1. Full service history as in all service stamps in the logbook up to date with no missing service intervals and all service invoices/receipts available?

OR

2. Full service history as in all service stamps in the logbook up to date with no missing service intervals and NO service invoices/receipts available?

Reason I ask is because many seller refer to FSH but no service history available and then turnaround and say "you can get it from the relevant dealers".

Firstly NO dealer would or should be allowed to do this as under the Data Protection Act as they can't disclose someone elses details which would have thier personal details. Would it be best avioded if seller has no service invoice/receipts and no invoices for any repair work done regardless of age of car?

The other problem which the 2nd option is that anyone can fake service stamps especially if it doesnt have the dealers/garages branch code number or address.

So which one is it?

Mark 4
09-10-2007, 09:12 PM
I say A.

ANTHONY
09-10-2007, 09:17 PM
you can get dealer stamps in internet so anybody could stamp the book

Kieran
09-10-2007, 09:23 PM
Tony's right.

I once knew someone who did exactly that with his cars (he chopped and changed often). When selling a car, if it was near a service interval he'd stamp the book and claim the printout for that service had been lost - Making it look like it had just been done. Yes, he was a Tosser./pan

Nick Mann
09-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Mitsubishi can confirm the service history of a car. It has been a few years since I did it, but the reg number brings up work carried out, without printing prices or personal details.

jal5075
09-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Tony's right.

I once knew someone who did exactly that with his cars (he chopped and changed often). When selling a car, if it was near a service interval he'd stamp the book and claim the printout for that service had been lost - Making it look like it had just been done. Yes, he was a Tosser./pan

so you go along with option 1?

Kieran
09-10-2007, 09:38 PM
so you go along with option 1?

My personal interpretation is that it SHOULD be option one. However I must admit I've purchased cars before with just a stamped booklet and then retrospectively verified that the stamps are accurate.

Rambaud
10-10-2007, 09:30 AM
I consider it to be Option 2.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect to receive the service invoices - especially originals if the owner(s) is Vat registered.

Getting the invoices (or copies) is a bonus.

If I want more information, I speak to the previous owner(s) and the servicing dealer (with the owner's permission).

djdime
10-10-2007, 04:48 PM
this reminds me of a story about an octavia VRS i looked at once. the guy claimed full service history and showed me the book - sure enough 60k stamped 70k stamped 80k stamped 90k stamped 100k stamped. Funny thing was, the car had only done 91k lol

ANTHONY
10-10-2007, 04:56 PM
this reminds me of a story about an octavia VRS i looked at once. the guy claimed full service history and showed me the book - sure enough 60k stamped 70k stamped 80k stamped 90k stamped 100k stamped. Funny thing was, the car had only done 91k lol thats just the service intervals stamped so the car could be a low milage but serviced every 9000miles or year

thecustomer
10-10-2007, 07:06 PM
well, you're really asking whather or not you trust the seller....

It's certainly nothing to do with data protection - it's not personal
(yes, I know some folk give their cars names, but that doesn't mean they're real people!)

Most dealers will sell you a service history - they'll print off a list of dates when they raised a bill against the car, & the purpose of the visit - just a line.

Dealers seem to charge £25 - £30 to send this info.

hope that helps

Will

thecustomer
10-10-2007, 07:10 PM
... & thinking about it, what's a full history on an import?

Is it
- having the original folder with logbook & handbook
- a printout of a babelfish translation of the Recall status
- both keys
- who imported it, when, and what they did to convert to the UK
- some sort of UK service history - ie evidence of regular fluid changes & servicing, maybe invoices from dealers or fluid suppliers

Will