PDA

View Full Version : Blonde needs assistance ASAP

wook1e
10-10-2007, 12:35 AM
Hey ya,
Im a chick into her cars, dream job to be formula one driver.
Bought 2000 VR4 Legnum Manual. My family all worried and sent me via email the report from the dog and lemon guide.. They trying to tell me i have bought a lemon. Doubt I can get out of the finance deal now... if I can please let me know the in's and outs because I think i am going to have major problems. had it 2 weeks.
i need to know what the following problems are so i dont get jipped by dealer!

Noticed clunking/ticking sound in front right of engine. possible gearbox because it goes away when i put the clutch in.

Brake pads sound like they need doing because they have that scraping sound when I apply them, even after they have warmed up!

engine has stalled twice when i have been at lights or going down ramp in carpark (I HAD THE CLUTCH IN I NOT THAT BLONDE)

Its done 82000kms how often are the cambelts done on these things? are they pricey? was thinking if i cant get out of the deal to try my luck with getting them to do this too!

after the car was parked for 3 days at a mates over a weekend the car was dead. no life what so ever! put jumperleads on and it slowly slowly started to charge not enough guts to start it though. Had some power cords that had been chopped off they seemed to put enough voltage through to start the car...... dealers swears black and blue it was a new battery. I think personally they are full of it and even if it was new they should know better than to put a teeny weeny battery with a big arse engine!

They have picked up the car today and given me a loan car. I need as much feedback and advise as soon as possible please..

TA BOYS.

S

Kenneth
10-10-2007, 12:49 AM
First of all, a well looked after Legnum VR-4 is very nice car to own and drive :) (Definitely not a lemon!)

At 2 weeks the dealer is obliged to either fix it or give your money back. Don't accept the car back unless you are 100% happy with it.

I was told the cam belt should be done 100,000km or 5 years, whichever is sooner. If it has not been done, it IS fairly costly to get done so you should try get the dealer to do this also.

Sounds like you need a new battery. Some of the problems could be due to the battery being poked. Get the dealer to change the battery and see how it goes.

Idle and stalling issues can come from a few sources, the most major being (which is apparently a mitsi thing) a problem with the ECU.
Check if it has the standard BOV, then you are looking at the idle stepper motor, plugs and finally the ECU.

Obviously the brakes need to be looked at, you may want to take the car for a check by an independent garage to ensure it is of road worthy condition, if this is not the case you can take it back again and the dealer will have to get it all sorted.

Its a bit hard to comment on the noise with the gearbox, again it may pay to have a mechanic have a listen. Could be the gearbox bearings or something else. Again, get it done fairly soon so that you can take it back to the dealer if it is something serious.

Hope you get things sorted to your satisfaction.

Roadrunner
10-10-2007, 12:53 AM
Noticed clunking/ticking sound in front right of engine. possible gearbox because it goes away when i put the clutch in.

This sounds like the clutch release bearing needing to be replaced. I'd ask the dealer to do so before accepting the car.

richy rich
10-10-2007, 10:22 AM
engine has stalled twice when i have been at lights or going down ramp in carpark (I HAD THE CLUTCH IN I NOT THAT BLONDE)

/Welcome2

As said above, also this could be a bov problem if it has 1 fitted.

bradc
10-10-2007, 10:57 AM
They are very good cars and are very reliable if you maintain them. It sounds as if the previous owner of the car didn't keep it in perfect condition, or it may have been sitting at the dealers for a while. Where did you buy it from?

I would suggest that the idling problem is possibly due to an aftermarket blow off valve, if not then the idle stepper motor may need to be cleaned out and reset.

There may be something drawing power from the battery such as a phone charger or a random japanese electrical device. The battery itself could also have a problem, I would suggest you get a new battery as well.

The brake problem could be due to pads or discs, the dealer should sort that because of course the braking system is an important legal requirement and needs to be in top notch condition.

It may be worth taking the car to a mitsi dealership and getting them to do a full report - it may cost $100 or $200 but will be well worth it. If you are in the Auckland area the guys in Newmarket are very good, as is Ralliart in Penrose.

Lillywotsername
11-10-2007, 11:50 AM
I can't give you much help with regards to you problem but as a fellow lady I would just like to say /Welcome and I hope you get your problems sorted.

Subaru ETA
13-10-2007, 07:25 AM
your gear box prob sounds like release bearing - but hard to say without hearing.

stalling, as said, bov or stepper motor.

brakes - is it a fresh import? if it is i would have thought low pads would have been picked up at compliance???

vr4s are very good cars and you have made a very good choice! its not your fault the person you got it off sounds like a munter