PDA

View Full Version : Slow progress ... anyone else doing car stuff today?

White Lightning
13-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Been out on the VR-4 most of the day in an attempt to get my new suspension kit fitted. Unfortunately, it was slow progress so it looks like I will just get the front end done this weekend.

Firstly, I started late due to an osteopath appointment that I had this morning and a friend came over for a coffee. So I really only started in anger after lunch.

Managed to get the old (now to be binned ... woohoo) wheelarch liners and old suspension off no problem. And then got a bit stuck getting one of the upper arms off so that I could get to the grot better before undersealing. Eventually got the upper arm off but unfortunately damaged it (see other thread) and have since managed to wire brush and scrub down both front wheelarches. Also, managed to wizz around with heatgun to dry out the seams etc before it got too dark.

So, tomorrow's plan ...

1. Rust remover on the rusty bits in both front wheelarches.
2. Wait 3 hours for the stuff to dry ... :thinking: ... will probably amuse myself by taking the battery out and changing the blown sidelight bulb while waiting.
3. Underseal front wheelarches.
4. Refit upper arm.
5. Fit shiny new Tein coilovers on the front ... :pimp2:
6. Fit shiny new wheelarch liners on the front ... :afro:
7. And ... relax

Anyway ... enough wittering from me ... what has everyone else been doing today?

peter thomson
13-10-2007, 07:44 PM
I spent the day removing bits from my bothers SD1 to sell on as we just don't have the time now to reshell it. Sad to see it go but it's parts will help keep others running. Just the block ,gearbox and axle left to remove now.

stuartturbo
13-10-2007, 07:46 PM
easy day for me serviced the old dears 406 only 2000 past the due date and the oil showed it few buts tomorrow take it down the valet to clean it then finish off at home scratch removal
the look at mine poss seeing about the evo seats

Gly
13-10-2007, 09:24 PM
put new brembo disks on my front brakes,
old ones worn/warpped

pitslayer
14-10-2007, 03:26 AM
got my toledo started when i wanted to go out, and again when i stopped and seen my mate, and when i left my mates. lol it is a task in its own mind. involves lots of shouting lots of easy start and lots bad noise

Gly
14-10-2007, 06:26 AM
my innovate LC1 wideband went in today, thanks to mike (mpau)

Kieran
14-10-2007, 11:13 AM
For a change I'm having a 'lazy' weekend - I have stretched myself to playing Transport Tycoon and watching 'Killer Tanks' on the discovery channel.

I might really push the boat out and tidy the kitchen in a bit..... Maybe!:pimp2:

Spirit
14-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Yep, a lazy weekend here too.

Yesterday managed to get to shop to get some food, then met one of Shaz's friends who needed some financial advice. Got home and relaxed in front of the TV from 2.30pm onwards to watch the footie and then the rugby.

No real plans today apart a bit of a tidy of the shed, gather together some spare car parts and generally chill out......oh, and may have to pop to Halfrauds.

The Vee
14-10-2007, 12:22 PM
Well, I had a big success. Since the scud thing, never had a rev counter and never really bothered to find out why. So yesterday I set to resolve it and yes it works. An epic journey for such a small requirement, but no need to change the whole binacle or wiring loom. Will write another thread on how it's done

Paul Beazer
14-10-2007, 12:36 PM
Nice one! What was it? Wiring issue?

The Vee
14-10-2007, 12:40 PM
Nice one! What was it? Wiring issue?

No, its the difference between the distributor (V6) pulse and the ECU (VR4) pulse that is sent to the rev counter. ECU one is a much lower output and you need the correct circuitry on the rev counter to read it.

Paul Beazer
14-10-2007, 01:12 PM
As you can tell im doing FA today. Well apart from letting my son fall off the sofa and bang his head, OOOPSS :-(
Going for a run later as part of my training for the great south run!

MPBVr4
15-10-2007, 09:40 AM
I was real busy doing car stuff yesterday................ mostly sitting in the grandstand at Thruxton watching the final rounds of the BTCC/pan

WildCards
15-10-2007, 09:55 AM
For a change I'm having a 'lazy' weekend - I have stretched myself to playing Transport Tycoon and watching 'Killer Tanks' on the discovery channel.

Good choice of game K, tis a very good game.

I spent the day removing bits from my bothers SD1 to sell on as we just don't have the time now to reshell it. Sad to see it go but it's parts will help keep others running. Just the block ,gearbox and axle left to remove now.

Nick Mann has an SD1 of sorts, he may be interested in a few bits.

ETA: I spent Saturday helping my dad at work, Sunday morning recovering from beers the night before and a bike ride with the kids in the afternoon inbetween crushing the rebel alliance in Star Wars Supremacy.

Paul Beazer
15-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Nick Mann has an SD1 of sorts, he may be interested in a few bits.

You mean Nick has a pile of dust arranged in a shape resembling an SD1....