PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump problem and lambda Sensor?

luisigor
14-10-2007, 08:14 PM
When my car is cold (Temperature here is never lower than 23C) for example in the morning and I try to turn it on it hesitates. Let me try to explain: I put the key in the starting position, the starter starts working but the engine doesnt turn on until 2 seconds have passed. Then the RPM are very weal and you can feel there is no power and is turns off. (It lasts about, 2 seconds on.) Than I try to start again and it starts perfectly!. in about 0.5 seconds and with all its power.

My mechanic told me it could be the fuel pump. He said that it is not delivering enough fuel to the engine. The the second time I try to turn it on it completes the fuel.

Is this right? It is is... Could you please tell me where can I find a replacement original fuel pump? (My car is a 1998 galant 2.5 v6 automatic.)

Something else is... I searched the forums but I couldn't find a Bosch Lambda sensor to replace mine. My car only uses 1 sensor. Could someone please tell me the model and where can I find it. I dont want to make any holes, just unplug the old one and plug it in.

Thanks!

bradc
14-10-2007, 08:19 PM
I had something similar with my white VR-4 car. If I left it for a few hours it would be a bit difficult to start, if I left it for a week it would need to turn over for about 5-10 seconds before it would start. I figured it was pumping fuel back up into the engine from the tank.

Never got to the bottom of it though, I've sold the car

Kieran
14-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Yes, it could well be the fuel pump - if fuel is draining back to the tank, it will take several seconds for it to re-prime and for the engine to fire.

Regarding the lambda sensor - I don't think Bosch makes a direct replacement sensor for these cars, as the original sensors aren't made by Bosch either (I think it's NGK/NTK like a lot of other Japanese brands).

This leaves you with two choices:

1 - Get a genuine Mitsubishi one.

2 - Fit a 'Universal' sensor - But with a universal sensor you will have to modify the wiring, and it may not work.

luisigor
16-10-2007, 03:00 AM
That explains it! Now there is only one little inconvenience... I believe the part number for the original Mitsubishi fuel pump is MR135289 and MR503077, but I cant find them anywhere. Is there a replacement fuel pump with the same or superior quality as the original, that does not pump more fuel than the required by the engine? Where can I find it? I ask this because generally when you install a performance fuel pump to a vehicle, you get poor fuel economy. (Remember my engine is 6A13)

I could use a new Fuel Vapor Canister MR281175... But cant find it either.

About the lambda sensor... I just found the genuine one (MD189008) and it is going to make a hole in my pocket the day I buy it! Its 400 dollars!

Gly
16-10-2007, 06:42 AM
get a wideband ego sensor then, innovate LC1, will replace the factory one, and its wideband so you can use it to tune your car safely with,

look for a walbro 342, or a Tre 342 pump,

they are speced better than ours but wont be an issue since the fpr regulates fuel flow.

luisigor
16-10-2007, 07:38 PM
Any Walbro 342 or TRE 342 Fuel Pump will fit directly into my car, without any mods? I ask this because everywhere I find it, my car (1998 Galant v6 2.5 6A13) is not listed. (TRE claims to be better than Walbro and gives 1 year full replacement warranty... Are they really better?)

Something else... Remember my car is not Turbo. I thought non-turbo vehicles didn't have an FPR. Does my car have one?

luisigor
18-10-2007, 04:25 AM
Does anyone know?....

Gly
18-10-2007, 07:23 AM
all modern cars have fprs,

the tre is better in 1 way, more flow higher up,
but its got less down low...

for you n/a v6 id go walbro, it has higher low down flow.

ive gone walbro, just for the better known brand,

and yes the 342 is the correct fitment for our cars

luisigor
21-10-2007, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the help guys! I'll look forward to changing the fuel pump soon!

nismoevo
21-04-2008, 11:09 AM
http://www.ignitioncoil.info/searchresultsbymanufacturer.aspx?txtManCode=MD1890 08

If you search for MD189008 that comes upp, will it work?

good price to!