PDA

View Full Version : Hello from West Scotland

WIll
15-10-2007, 10:13 AM
Hi guys, hows it going?

Well been considering getting a Legnum/Galant tt for a few months now after narrowing my search down from various other similar jap performane cars. I think of all the cars of the age (1996/7) that the Galant/Legnum still looks most contemporary and provides best value/most car for the money.

I finally sold my previous bucket (Fiat Coupe 20VT) at the weekend so am now in a position to go straight out and buy, have a budget of max £6k as it will be a second car/toy. Have found lots of useful information reading through older threads here and have been pointed in the direction of Ebony and Ivory, who seem to have a good rep. Quite a drive for me 250miles approx so hopefully I will see a good one. Ideally looking for a black tiptronic model, really want leather but I know they are harder come by but if I'm under budget I don't mind paying for a re-trim or some leather recaros.

Anyway my reason for posting, I have a few nooby type questions:-

(1) Are Mitsu UK garages usually ok at servicing these models, how mush do the 4500 (small) services usually cost?
(2) What is the standard 0-100mph time? ( Haven't been able to find this out using search!)
(3) This is my first experience of driving a jap import, I live on the barren west coast of Scotland, will I need to, or be better to underseal the car to give it some protection as I don't believe that Jap domestic cars are given this protection in the factory.

Cheers guys, hopefully I'll be back posting a few pics of my new machine soon.

Will

Lillywotsername
15-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Hi Will...... /Welcome. Hope you find your ideal car

Nick VR4
15-10-2007, 04:55 PM
Hi and welcome

Mits garages should know what there doing £££ depends what area of country
0-100 no idea
0-60 approx 6 seconds some on here have done under 6

TAR
15-10-2007, 06:24 PM
Hi and /Welcome2 to the club.

0-100MPH, check out the recent threads for Japfest at Santa Pod, some of the guys times are shown in the pictures - not quite a ton but you will gt an idea of the terminal speed for a quarter mile.

As for underseal, yup best allow some money for it as the imports may not have any and if they have been done, it can be quite thin in places.

Mitsi can service the cars and steal all your money however, I would phone a few first as they seem to vary in quality and price.

ritch_w
15-10-2007, 08:25 PM
you should get a fair variety of choice for£6K, for 1996 P plate they can be had for less than 3K - check out mart's n the for sale bit.

dealers vary - where are u based? i found Bridgend Garage in irvine to be very good. never used other mitsi dealers tho

Roadrunner
15-10-2007, 11:30 PM
(1) Are Mitsu UK garages usually ok at servicing these models, how mush do the 4500 (small) services usually cost?
(2) What is the standard 0-100mph time? ( Haven't been able to find this out using search!)
(3) This is my first experience of driving a jap import, I live on the barren west coast of Scotland, will I need to, or be better to underseal the car to give it some protection as I don't believe that Jap domestic cars are given this protection in the factory.
1. No problem. Mitsubishi dealers will happily service VR-4s. 4.5k service is really just oil & filters so budget around £100-£120. Doesn't really need to be a dealer to do the easy services - any competent garage can do these and you'll likely pay less per hour. Make sure they fit genuine Mitsubishi parts and go for a good fully synthetic oil (Amsoil is excellent - do a search on here).
2. 0-100mph is in the region of 14.5 seconds.
3. You're looking at a 10-11 year old car. If it's not falling apart with rust, it's probably been undersealed already ;)

WIll
16-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the information guys!!! I'll report back when I've chosen my new wheels!! :)

@ritch_w, Bridgend is the garage I had in mind as it is only a few miles away from me. Good to know!

unclepete
16-10-2007, 10:47 AM
Welcome,

I am in Stirling, along with DickBarton, who has a manual VR4. I have 1 1/2 VR4s at the moment - a black '98 VR4 Tip and a white VR4 needing a new engine. I'm still in two minds but logic dictates that I should sell the black one, as soon as the white one is back on the road (hopefully before Christmas). If you wish to pop through to view and drive, please do. I get my servicing done by a mechanic I know - print the info out from this site if it's a tricky job (although he usually doesn't need it) and buy Amsoil products. No problems so far....apart from getting an engine in the white one (but I still need to buy this from Mo).

If I can be of any help, please give me a shout.

All the best,

Pete

White Lightning
16-10-2007, 11:00 AM
3. You're looking at a 10-11 year old car. If it's not falling apart with rust, it's probably been undersealed already ;)

That's not necessarily the case. My car is 10 years old now and I have just undersealed the front wheel arch areas this weekend. What I found was that the car was undersealed up in the arches but not all the way to the top into where the top of the shock/spring assembly fits. As a result, there was quite a bit of surface rust around that area. I have now used rust remover and (re) undersealed the entire area to give better protection going forward.

By the way ... /Welcome

ritch_w
16-10-2007, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the information guys!!! I'll report back when I've chosen my new wheels!! :)

@ritch_w, Bridgend is the garage I had in mind as it is only a few miles away from me. Good to know!

Neil and Alistair are the main guys that run the service dept, good guys and know the difference between a VR4 and a galant.

I got my saloon from bridgend and took my legnum there too. Recommended.