PDA

View Full Version : Launching with a auto tranny

jpnvr4
15-10-2007, 06:31 PM
Is launching with an auto tranny possible? Cause I don't hear ppl with their autos really drag racing or launching in any kind of way.... and if U do it explain please ...
thnx
p.s. someone must kno this ... it could be very useful 2 many of us out here

SGHOM
15-10-2007, 06:35 PM
Is launching with an auto tranny possible? Cause I don't hear ppl with their autos really drag racing or launching in any kind of way.... and if U do it explain please ...
thnx
p.s. someone must kno this ... it could be very useful 2 many of us out here

easy. :pimp2: left foot hard on the brake.... 3500 rpm .. then let it rip. /rally :afro:

bradc
15-10-2007, 06:41 PM
it must be said that you shouldn't do that for a very long period of time, and that you must be in drive, one foot on the brake and the other on the throttle.

SGHOM
15-10-2007, 06:42 PM
it must be said that you shouldn't do that for a very long period of time

I've been doing it for years Brad /rally :afro: :thinking:

bradc
15-10-2007, 06:45 PM
yes but I mean not sitting there on the line for 20 seconds like that

d i c k i e s
15-10-2007, 09:21 PM
hmm bit scared to do it, just cause i love my car too much... lol

CANDEE
16-10-2007, 02:48 AM
easy. :pimp2: left foot hard on the brake.... 3500 rpm .. then let it rip. /rally :afro:
Thats 3k for people with normal brakes.. :P I havent broken anything with my launches yet.... /rally

Subaru ETA
16-10-2007, 09:22 AM
yeah but this can poke the torque convertor by sitting it at stall for long periods of time

DefeXion
17-10-2007, 03:25 AM
edit:

realised i was so far wrong it wasn't funny

orionn2o
17-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Has anyone managed to source/purchase a high stall torque converter?

I think perhaps i've gone a bit easy on mine if everyone else is running to about 3k. I ran mine to about 2.4k although the car was getting a little bogged on launch.

Mind you it still runs 13's!

jpnvr4
17-10-2007, 04:35 PM
ok ... I tried that and I think the car started moving ... It also had a weird feeling .... a friend of mines was sayin try put it in N then rev then put in drive ..." he must think i'm stupid" .... but I will try it this weekend thnx guys ....
oh yea ... I could still use some more pointers if anyone else has any>>>:)

Kieran
17-10-2007, 08:18 PM
The only other advice I would give is NOT to rev it in 'N' and then put it in drive.

Power Braking does stress your drivetrain, but at least you're pre-loading the transmission before you go - Revving and then putting in 'D' will put a massive amount of shock-loading on your gearbox components and output shaft.

bradc
17-10-2007, 08:22 PM
yeah don't do that!

CANDEE
17-10-2007, 08:32 PM
ok ... I tried that and I think the car started moving ... It also had a weird feeling .... a friend of mines was sayin try put it in N then rev then put in drive ..." he must think i'm stupid" .... but I will try it this weekend thnx guys ....
oh yea ... I could still use some more pointers if anyone else has any>>>:)
To stop the car moving you need to stand on the brake and let it settle for a couple of seconds before you lay the power on.. :)

SGHOM
17-10-2007, 08:35 PM
A bit of tape over the handbrake button also helps :scholar: /rally

d i c k i e s
18-10-2007, 03:42 AM
^^ never heard of that 1. ^^

the clips on you tube are great.. the one with valmes? does quite a good one.
revs it up to i dont know, can hear the bov.. through the clip? does like 2-3 revs into im guessing 3000rpm then lets rip. think he gets to like fourth gear and starts breaking..

CANDEE
18-10-2007, 08:26 PM
A bit of tape over the handbrake button also helps :scholar: /rally
Thanks for that little bit of advice there Derek.. Will help save time on the line /rally

Subaru ETA
19-10-2007, 12:38 AM
yeah reving an dumping into drive is just asking to strip splines!!!

amsoil
19-10-2007, 03:44 AM
If you really are looking for better ET's then change the fluid for Amsoils ART 'Super Shift'
This fluid is especially for racing and by reducing any slipage or soft changes will get the job done faster.

nads1978
07-05-2009, 05:56 PM
I presume this is true for my car/tranny too? (Evo7 GTA - INVECS II)

Left foot - brake on,
Right foot - 3000 - 3500rpm and hold,
release brake & gun it

elnevio
07-05-2009, 06:20 PM
I don't see why not!

Let us know your final results! :thumbsup:

Turbo_Steve
07-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Don, what would that Amsoil be like on the road, though? Fairly harsh?

Mark 4
07-05-2009, 08:09 PM
Has anyone managed to source/purchase a high stall torque converter?

I think perhaps i've gone a bit easy on mine if everyone else is running to about 3k. I ran mine to about 2.4k although the car was getting a little bogged on launch.

Mind you it still runs 13's!

I've got a supplier lined up Matt. :afro: :afro:

AlanDITD
07-05-2009, 08:13 PM
No worries as far as i can tell about braking on the line with the throttle pressed. Just dont hold it to long. And you really have to plant your left foot into the brake, once the lights were very slow and i over revved to about 5k and the car just shot off with everyone laughing lol

Did it all weekend with some 1.8 60ft times, car was 100% fine. I will be changing the GB oil this weekend though so its fresh after the abuse.

VR4WGN
07-05-2009, 09:24 PM
um why not save the damage nd use tht money to install manual box instead? i usedto have great fun with my ole white vr4 legnum

Turbo_Steve
07-05-2009, 10:36 PM
Cos then it wouldn't be a nice auto for in town?

AlanDITD
07-05-2009, 10:38 PM
um why not save the damage nd use tht money to install manual box instead? i usedto have great fun with my ole white vr4 legnum

well if thats the case, then may aswell do it till it blows up anyway. I love my autobox and wouldnt really like to change it tbh. Sitting in traffic is bliss.

amsoil
09-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Don, what would that Amsoil be like on the road, though? Fairly harsh?

Yes I think the gear changes would be very quick and perhaps with a jolt, Interested to know what the ECU would make of it?

Wodjno
09-05-2009, 12:30 PM
Yes I think the gear changes would be very quick and perhaps with a jolt, Interested to know what the ECU would make of it?

Well thats how my Autobox used to change all the time.. Not so much of a jolt, but a kick, and very fast changes almost as your hand went forward after pulling back on the Tip Gearstick it changed up.
I loved it like that /yes

And if i'd ever known such an oil existed, i would have had it in the box straight away /yes

Dom B
09-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Well i have seen some auto box abuse with a friend who used to race jags. They did do race starts with 4.0L Autos when they didn't care about them. They did do the 4-5k in neutral and drop it into drive. If i recall he used to only do this with the older hydraulic computer ZF boxes and not the electronically controlled ones. It worked great but only about three times, and i am pretty sure he used to plug something in to bypass the speed sensor as there was some sort of lock out to stop this happening at too high load. Saying that i have seen someone shatter the impeller blades in the same gearbox holding the brake against high rpm for a start.

They also used to put very thick oil in the boxes which made the changes very very harsh but made the car respond so much better on track. Don't know what it did to the life of the gearboxes tho.

jakester
09-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Its a pity there is no one who could upgrade the valve body in the gearbox. I had an uprated one done by mv automatics is Adalaide, Aus, in my auto skyline and, it changed gear like lightning, no slip at all, town driving was harsh, but down the strip it was awsome, it was almost like flat shifting a manual, and the best bit was it never dropped boost during changes.

peter thomson
09-05-2009, 09:04 PM
Madhav on here and OZVR4 is planning on getting this done. It might cost a fair bit in postage if there is nobody in the UK that can do it.