PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying a VR4 Estate

Soundmangt4
16-10-2007, 08:03 PM
Hi,

I currently drive a heavily modded 1992 GT-Four RC (Jap homologation special like the Carlso Sainz), but it has recently developed a potential cracked block despite a full forged rebuild and thousands spent on it.
I have given up on the car as I've plowed money into it and it still doesn't want to play nicely, so the time has come for a change.

I will have over £7K once I've sold of the parts, and am considering buying a manual 2.5 V6 (non turbo) estate, but was wondering what I can expect from it.

There are quite a few very nice looking examples on Autotrader (they do look very nice, even in estate form), but would like a little info first.

What kind of power is the 2.5 V6 and are they also 4WD or is that just the turbo versions? Also, what kind of consumption can I expect with mixed driving, not that it can be as bad as a GT-Four running 22psi boost!! /rally

I have looked at lots of estates and can't seem to find anything that takes my fancy like a VR4, and seeing as my Citroen estate will be going along with my GT-Four, I have to have another estate due to my dogs.

Any other issues I need to look out for when buying, or known faults??

Any help is much appreciated, and hopefully with the right answers I will be joining you all here with a new car!! :3d: /thankyou /Wyhy

ianturbo
16-10-2007, 08:10 PM
no doubt i'll get corrected on this but non turbo v6 are around 170 bhp , and only in FWD , ,
ian

bradc
16-10-2007, 08:14 PM
yep thats about right Ian. The UK spec cars were all fwd only.

There are Jap spec Legnum ST-R's which are quite rare over in the UK, they are the same thing as the UK spec ones, but with 4wd and 5 stud hubs. I have one of these and it gets 30-35mpg and in manual form is reasonably quick, I would definitely recommend one.

Soundmangt4
18-10-2007, 01:24 PM
I am starting to be swung towards the twin turbo 4WD Legnum's, as I think it'll be less dissapointing going to one of those from a heavily modded GT4.
How thirsty are they on fuel, and I am intreaged by the tiptronic box - is it any good, or will it sap power and seem sluggish on gear changes, as I have never owned an auto before.
What kind of failures can be expected from both turbo and NA models. I've even started looking at Scooby estates, so quick, someone convince me the Mitsi is the way to go!!!

Nick Mann
19-10-2007, 10:20 PM
The auto is a pretty good box. A leggie can beat almost anything in a taffic light GP in the wet, plus he tip does what you want. (Not pefectly, but you learn how it works and how to get the best quite quickly.)

Expect 20mpg on a good day and you won't be dissappointed. More is possible, especially on runs, but don't expect it!!

The Legnum VR4 is the way forwards if you want a good combination of:
Bang for buck,
Comfort,
Sure-footedness
Load capacity
Power
Stealth factor!