PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for a cheap Estate car???

Brind
13-01-2004, 10:17 PM
I've got a Sierra estate I use for work and well, it's falling apart by the day!! shame really as it is unbelievably reliable in that it will start with a mere flick with the key, and just drive and drive.
The body looks naff, the engine sounds like a V8 which is kinda cool though, clutch peddle trys to break your ankle and knee, brakes stop you when they want to, heavy steering as it hasn't got PAS and the previous owner upgraded wheels and suspension, interior is heavily battered due to what I use it for.
Needs an MOT now and basically can't see the point in spending out about £300 to get it through as I could get something else that looks a bit half decent in better working order.

I don't want to spend too much, perhaps up to a £1000 as I'll ruin it in no time.
Looking at other Sierra's, possibly a Granada estate or maybe even a Mondeo at a decent price.
Colour doesn't matter as long as it doesn't look gay, engine size and power isn't a big deal, could be diesel if it has enough guts.
MUST BE AN ESTATE!!!!!

I'd like to have a Galant Estate but that's highly unlikely due to prices.
Anyone recommend a place to look? Auto Trader seems to be lacking of late.

Kieran
13-01-2004, 10:26 PM
If you're looking for something that takes a licking but keeps ticking, then another Sierra will fit the bill... They're crude but tough. There's not as many about now though. Not sure about a Galant or other Jap estate... They're tough, but not built for abuse and building work methinks - and older ones can be a sod to get spares and service items for... important if you've only a £1,000 budget.

What about an Astra estate with the 1.7TD? There's a selection of L/M/N platers for under a grand on Autotrader?

Brind
13-01-2004, 10:34 PM
Sierra estate is the perfect size really and I know the 1.6, 1.8 and the one I have now 2.0i back to front so really it's the ideal.
Granada isn't too far removed but the Mondeo is full of modern crap that can't be DIY repaired as much.

I'm not a fan of Vauxhalls at all, and it will go against everything I believe in. :D

Take your point about Jap cars and spares etc.

Any other places to search for a Sierra or similer? Cheers mate.

Nick Mann
13-01-2004, 11:08 PM
Closer to 2k than 1, but how about a 406? My parents have got one with 140,000 on the clock and it has never given them trouble. Maybe luck - maybe good design, but it certainly isn't because they look after it!!

For less than 1k, how about a montego? Less street cred than a sierra, but slightly better load space and a lot cheaper for the same mileage/condition. Go for a metallic paint finsh, though, as the non-metallics rust like mild steel in the sea!

Spirit
13-01-2004, 11:19 PM
Good idea Nick, they are there to be used and abused and they actually cope quite well. Easy to maintain like the Sierra's and should be many more around for sale

wirdy
13-01-2004, 11:36 PM
In a similar vein to Nick, how about the previous generation Pug...the 405 estate.
I can only say it's the most reliable car I've ever owned, apart from normal service items that wear out I spent next to nothing on it for 6 years. The diesels, both normally aspirated and turbo are universally reknowned for doing galactic mileages. Nothing ever broke, fell off or prematurely wore out.
My 'L' plater was sold to a pal in Oct 02 for £650 with 158,000 INSERT INTO post VALUES (when I bought the VR4). I see it every day and is still going strong at 196,000. All they need is regular oil changes INSERT INTO post VALUES (recommended 6K but I used to do mine at 5K with dead cheap oil) to keep running for ever, by the end of my ownership I could drop the oil, change the filter and top up again, all in 10 mins flat.
Always a good indication of a good lugger is to see what's popular with the mini-cabbers. Pug 405's and 406's feature high up in those stakes.

Wouldn't hesitate getting another Pug diesel sometime in the future, the wonderful fuel economy and low cost of ownership is now but a distant memory!!!

Brind
14-01-2004, 01:35 AM
Thanks alot for the replies!!!
Never even thought about a 406 for a second, I actually quite like the shape of the 406.
Been looking around and I've been looking an older VW Passat's, around £300 to £1000 for somewhere around a 1994 shape.. not the prettiest but I love the drive and quality of the brand new shape.
For the life of me I can't picture the size of them?? been on the Parkers guide site and read reviews and a few people have said about the large load area etc. I am always amazed by how much you can get in the back of the Sierra!!! anyone know if the older Passat's are that kinda size? the Passat is one of the biggest in VW range so I'd have thought it wasn't far off, the brand new shape is bigger than the Sierra I know.

banjo
14-01-2004, 08:58 AM
I know what you mean about having a fixation against a certain makes, I had Fords for years and disliked Vauxhalls intensely, I think prob from years previously when I had a couple of old bangers which rusted away before my eyes. Then I started to become disillusioned with Ford when their spares prices started to increase but major components like their auto gearboxes needed replacement from 50,000 miles upwards -and that applies to their Mondeo range so be aware! I broke the mind set when I bought my first Senator, nothing went wrong in 90,000 miles, also with the next one, a 24V which I had up to about 110,000 miles, I would certainly recommend a Carlton estate if you want maximum load space, a friend of mine who is a musician has a K reg 2.6 12v and never lets him down. Usually some for sale in the Vauxhall straight 6 club called Autobahnstormers.co.uk website. If you go for Granada estate beware of the Cossie 24v which if goes wrong costs big pennies.