PDA

View Full Version : str to vr4 brake upgrade

DefeXion
21-10-2007, 08:52 AM
I have a source of parts for upgrading my str with VR4 parts and I'm just wondering what I am going to need for swapping out the brakes. CAPS gives different part numbers for the booster and the master cylinder of the vr4 compared to the str. I don't think the booster will be neccesary, but I am concerned about the master cylinder. Will I need to swap these out? Also, what about ABS? that shows up different aswell

If somebody has done this before, I would love to hear about the job. Also, if anyone wants to give a hand, that would be cool aswell :P

Gly
21-10-2007, 10:27 AM
i have done it

as long as the parts you are using are prefacelift all will be fine,
you need are the calipers, disks and pads,

all bolts on, no lines, abs or booster or master cylinder need changing,

the master cylinder is the same accross the entire 8g range, (1inch)
only the booster is different, and possibly the brake bias valve,

DefeXion
21-10-2007, 11:20 AM
Wicked. It is a prefacelift, so that makes me happy. Are the facelift brakes even bigger than the prefacelift?

Would it be worth changing the booster over at some point? I am doing an engine swap (vr4 woot) so when I'm swaping it won't be terribly hard to get in there.

bradc
21-10-2007, 12:44 PM
the facelift brakes are the same size, but the hub bolt spacing is different.

What transmission are you going to be using? Please don't tell me you're going to keep the stock 4 speed

Gly
21-10-2007, 10:05 PM
no real reason to fit the bigger booster..
they work fine with the standard one.
but if you taking the motor out its best to do it while its out,
its a prick to do while its in there.

DefeXion
22-10-2007, 01:15 AM
Yeah, I could imagine how difficult it would be with the engine in there. I was gonna do the brakes today, but I need a lock nut to get the wheels off this car. The lady didn't give one to us. It's like a really big allen key shape. Anyone got one?

I have a VR4 5AT to put in. I pretty much have absolutely every I need to do the swap :). However, like I say, I'm not all pro with this stuff, so if anyone wants to lend a hand, that would be awesome.

bradc
22-10-2007, 01:29 AM
Ahh ok cool :) I still think it would be easier to go straight to a VR-4 though :)

I'm more than willing to lend a hand, just let me know when and where (ohh and not today, it is raining!)

Gly
22-10-2007, 02:03 AM
you do realialise you will have to get it certified?
and even thou its already 4wd you will have to have driveshaft loops added

DefeXion
22-10-2007, 02:22 AM
I have a whole dereged vr4 to steal parts out of so most of the parts will be easy to obtain. I am considering taking the ayc diffs and whole drive train aswell. I'm not sure about the condition of the ayc though. it has one mismatched wheel which would have put a bit of constant straing on the diff. My first goal is to get the parts I need out of this VR4 to check the condition and get ready for my car.

And we will cross the cert problem when we get to it :P. I have a mate who is in the business, and he is unsure if it will need a cert because it is all standard parts with little modifications. He's reading up on that for me. I'm budgeting that I will need the cert though.

Well, the suns back out, so I'm going to go continue stripping this interior.

Subaru ETA
22-10-2007, 04:43 AM
it will need a cert becouse the chassis number wont match a vr4 one... HOWEVER most wof people are stupid and they may not evn notice! my mates laural we put a RB25DET in and has a massive front mount hanging out the bumper flew through its last warrent with no cert!

DefeXion
22-10-2007, 05:00 AM
don't you get a wof before the cert anyway? certs confuse me so much. That's why I let other people worry about them :P.

Subaru ETA
22-10-2007, 05:18 AM
nope. after you done all your mods you go get one and get the plate. or if you dont it shouldnt pass a wof

Gly
22-10-2007, 05:57 AM
yep,
even thou it bolts in it goes under the 25% power increase,
so it has to be cert'd to be legal,

DefeXion
22-10-2007, 09:03 AM
Awesome. At least I have some support on this project :P.

Brad: PM me your cellfone number mate, I might take you up on your offer of assistance when it comes time to get into the nitty gritty engine bay work. I'm just pulling out interior bits and what nots at the moment. November is when the fun starts.

Subaru ETA
22-10-2007, 09:11 AM
if i have the time i might be able to give you hand...i knid of know how to use a spanner....

bradc
22-10-2007, 09:49 AM
If only it was that easy re phone numbers and girls :)

021 519 433

I should be free most Saturdays and Sundays

DefeXion
22-10-2007, 11:21 PM
if i have the time i might be able to give you hand...i knid of know how to use a spanner....

I knid of know how to accept assistance from strangers :P, so together, we will make a good team.
Edit: PM me, or post freely, your cell number. I will text to let you know when I will be doing stuff.

If only it was that easy re phone numbers and girls

021 519 433

I should be free most Saturdays and Sundays

Hey, no way... I am free most saturdays and sundays aswell... Go Team! :pimp2: I Will send a text your way when I'm ready.

What beverage should I be keeping in stock in the fridge? /drinkswine

d i c k i e s
23-10-2007, 12:07 AM
nothing better than quality H20... lol

bradc
23-10-2007, 02:52 AM
Cold Fanta and/or Sparkling Duet

Even better - any sisters? (don't keep them in the fridge though)

DefeXion
23-10-2007, 06:53 AM
I like your guys taste. I can defintiely keep that in stock. I'll even put the water on tap for ya dickies. :P

Cold Fanta and/or Sparkling Duet

Even better - any sisters? (don't keep them in the fridge though)
I can do the fanta and duet, but I don't quite understand the thing about any sisters. Please explain more clearly :inquisiti

Just rang my insurance about this modification and got a requote. The quote came out 1000 dollars less than I am currently paying for insurance. So this might be a goer, lol. (hardly think that was an accurate quote though).

bradc
23-10-2007, 07:16 AM
just wondering if you had any single good looking sisters that would be there, thats all :D

DefeXion
23-10-2007, 07:52 AM
well.. in that case... the answer is yes. But at the same time, that's just awkward!

bradc
23-10-2007, 08:09 AM
You've got all the help you could need then :) When do we get started on the car?

Gly
23-10-2007, 09:43 AM
i can help out, send me a pm...

just gotta sort out my latest issue with my car first, hopefully its an easy fix

Subaru ETA
23-10-2007, 09:59 AM
ive pm'd my number...should be able to help if im motivated and if not working on one of my cars!

Kenneth
23-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Give me a shout too, not sure if ill be free but ill let you know :)

DefeXion
23-10-2007, 11:09 PM
When do we get started on the car?

If you are keen to strip interior parts and cleaning'n'stuff, then we have already started. Otherwise, the real stuff is going to happen in November.

Cheers guys. With this many people behind the project, it will be a cinch. This thread has gone far off topic now :). Maybe it's time for a Title change.

bradc
23-10-2007, 11:11 PM
ok cool, should be able to spend sometime there this weekend then