PDA

View Full Version : Brake fluid change

Davezj
21-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Just done a brake fluid change.
I used some Racing Blue for AMSoil.
It has got to the easiest brake fluid change i have ever done.
this is primarally due to the 18" wheels.
i didn't have to jack the car up or remove the wheels.
I did the calipers in the specified order rear laft, front right, rear right, front left, for a right hand drive car.

the brakes feel much sharper and the pedal has a much more of a hard feel to it. So i am very pleased all round.

Just an aside, i did have new RED Stuff front pads on but i took them off when they were about half used, due to the heavy scoring on the disks. I swapped them out about 4K miles ago and put new standard pads on, which has taken all the score marks out of the disks and they are smooth as babies bum now. Do Red stuff pads normally score the disks due to the more abrasive friction material, or did i just get a dodgy set, or even did i get some kind of contaminant on the pads when i fitted them which compromised the ware of the pads and disks.

Kieran
21-10-2007, 07:14 PM
I too have had issues with Redstuffs. They were rubbish from cold and they lasted less than 8K miles - Admittedly I have been using grooved discs and the grooves aren't chamfered though.

As for wear.... Well, they didn't score the discs, so I wonder if you got a duff set or if they'd picked up a bit of grit or something?

ANTHONY
21-10-2007, 08:56 PM
i also used the racing blue and I'm using red stuff with no issues

Davezj
21-10-2007, 09:56 PM
oh well that is good to know.

I like kieran had cold braking trouble with the red stuff and i almost came a cropper at the light going on to the A56. it is the first braking point on the way to work. I came up to the light put my foot on the brake and nothing happened, i had to really stamp on the brake peddle to stop the car. but once the pads got warmed up they stopped the car well.
I am thinking of trying a different type of pad what works best?

Kieran
21-10-2007, 10:46 PM
I have the Carbotech XP8s on the car at the moment. I find them somewhat better than Redstuffs when hot (but that said the Redstuffs were very good once they'd got some heat in them). The big difference is that they're much better when they're cold. Not quite as much initial cold bite as a standard pad (which then fade to bugger all when they're hot), but they don't leave you having to jab the brakes to avoid rear-ending someone when you first start out in a morning!

Just coming up to another service interval and I'll inspect them then to see how they're holding up - so far they've done about 4,000 miles.

Subaru ETA
22-10-2007, 04:37 AM
I did the calipers in the specified order rear laft, front right, rear right, front left, for a right hand drive car.

eerrrr... aint it left rear, right rear, left front, right front?? starting from the furtherest from the master cylinder

Kieran
22-10-2007, 07:09 AM
Nah, Dave's got it right - Thats the method outlined in the service manual. You always start with the furthest wheel (left rear), but then bleed the circuits in series - Hence the next one is front right.

Subaru ETA
22-10-2007, 08:45 AM
hmmm ok that obviously how mitsi do it then...ive always been told, and do in the workshop, the way i outlined

Davezj
22-10-2007, 01:48 PM
yeh i followed the manual for the order of bleeding, but what i did find was i used less than 1L of fluid to do the entire system. That was with lost of over pumping when i saw the fluid change to BLUE. i did 10 pumps of the brake peddle extra for each caliper.

White Lightning
22-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Nah, Dave's got it right - Thats the method outlined in the service manual. You always start with the furthest wheel (left rear), but then bleed the circuits in series - Hence the next one is front right.

That's the way I've always done it too ... might give the Mitsi documented way a go next time then ... :thinking:

As for the Redstuffs ... I am running Racing Blue fluid with EBC redstuffs on the front in combination with EBC turbo grooved discs. I have never had a problem with scoring and also don't have a problem with getting temperature into the pads. I am well pleased with them tbh.