PDA

View Full Version : Fuel&temp gauge not illuminated

Heardy
22-10-2007, 10:23 PM
Hi could some please tell me how the fuel and temp needles are illuminated as the do not work on my car.
I've had the dash binacle out but cant see any bulbs for the needles,other than that it all works fine,
It looks like it has been apart before possibly when it was converted so maybe that could have something to do with it.
Any help would be appreciated thanks Jason

bradc
22-10-2007, 11:05 PM
That happens sometimes! I see that you're a full member and on your first post - congrats and welcome to the club.

Check out my guide linked to just below, it covers some of the issues I had. Basically there are screws that go through the pdb and conduct electricity. They touch little contacts on the gauge needle and it is possible for them to not touch after a while.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26357

Kieran
22-10-2007, 11:37 PM
Yep - Brad's right on the money there - If the dash pod has been meddled with, chances are they've put the screws back in incorrectly. I think they're all the same length (that right Brad?) so first port of call would be to do as Brad says and nip 'em up a bit.

Oh - And Welcome to Club VR-4, and thanks for your support! /Welcome

bradc
23-10-2007, 02:53 AM
there are two lengths, some are a wee bit longer, as in the guide.

Heardy
23-10-2007, 05:32 PM
That happens sometimes! I see that you're a full member and on your first post - congrats and welcome to the club.

Check out my guide linked to just below, it covers some of the issues I had. Basically there are screws that go through the pdb and conduct electricity. They touch little contacts on the gauge needle and it is possible for them to not touch after a while.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26357
Thanks for the welcome.
This is my first VR4 so i might be spending some time on here (ive had a couple of corrado VR6's in the past but this is my first mitsubishi so i'll see how i go)
A bit off topic but what BHP is it? it's a 1996 auto version.
I'll look at the needles an see what i find....

Nutter_John
23-10-2007, 07:27 PM
260 ps

Hi and Welcome

Heardy
23-10-2007, 08:50 PM
Which colloured screws in that article actually power the illumination on the needles?
I've tried nipping them up but no luck,Still not working...
Also Do the needles just pull off?

bradc
23-10-2007, 10:42 PM
yeah just pull the needles straight up and they will come off.

The 4 blue ones are the ones you are interested in

Heardy
06-11-2007, 11:06 PM
Right finally had chance to strip dash down and the screws are the right length in the fuel gauge but the temperature gauge has a completly alien screw in it.
I've checked all the other screws and im pretty sure is doesnt belong anywhere in the dash and someone has lost one of the longer wood screws and just put anything in.........
Still not been able to get either of the gauge to illumainate.
Ive not had the speedo faces off yet though to see if the screws are contacting the needles so i suppose this will be the next thing to do.......
Has anyone got any spare long wood screws that the would be willing to send to me? obviously i will pay for them and the postage etc
Thanks again Jason

Heardy
11-11-2007, 01:04 PM
Has anyone got any spare long wood screws that the would be willing to send to me? obviously i will pay for them and the postage etc
Thanks again Jason