PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Connectors

DickBarton
24-10-2007, 09:44 PM
Hi folks,

I'm needing some advice as my local Halfords didn't have what I wanted and reckoned it wasn't possible!

My stereo has a +ve and -ve power connector on it...the +ve seems to keep the stereo trickling over so it remembers the radio presets and the CD position and stuff whereas the -ve looses power completely when the ignition is switched off.

(N.B. +ve and -ve may be the wrong descriptors for these power connectors but I'll refer to them as that all the way through so at least you have an idea of what I'm talking about!)

The +ve bullet connector seems to have a spur at the end of the bullet where there is a bit of wire extension and another bullet connector - this is where the CD changer can be plugged in...the -ve is a single bullet connector with no extension on it.

I want to add an extension to the -ve bullet connector so that I can plug it into my stereo but also plug my boost, oil pressure and airflow gauges in and get them running. Currently they are sat below the stereo doing naff all...I've bought male and female bullet connectors as I need to add one to the mute cable of the stereo to fit my Parrot bluetooth hands free kit to when it arrives...figuring it's just a case of stripping the plastic off the cable, putting the bare cable into the connector and crimping it.

Anyway, can I get a -ve bullet connector extension wire and plug pre-made? won't make any odds if it is +ve or -ve as that will be determined by which existing lead you connect it to...would B&Q or Homebase have this sort of thing?

Cheers,

Richard.

stuartturbo
24-10-2007, 10:06 PM
I think i know what you mean
A stereo will have
ignition norm yellow
permanent live norm red
earth norm black
tel mute will be another out put norm ground to mute
run the gauges off the ignition
the connectors you fit are irrelavent but i would use female bullets on power supply to all
to make just use a length of wire and crimp terminals on end to suit all stand stuff in halfrauds

DickBarton
24-10-2007, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the reply...the +ve cable (which is yellow) seems to run power constantly i.e. if I plug the gauge wire in to the spare wire on that cable run, the gauges stay on 24/7 so they do not switch off - just adds another drain on the battery if the car doesn't get used daily...I'd like the gauges to be wired up to the power supply that only switches on when the ignition is on...or is that what you have suggested and I've missed it completely?

Thanks.

CANDEE
25-10-2007, 02:34 AM
Run them off the solid red wire(ignition) and you will be fine :) If you are worried about loosing voltage you can also run a relay to up the voltage... :)

DickBarton
25-10-2007, 06:44 PM
The red wire only has 1 connector and that is plugged into the stereo...what I'm needing is a sort of extension lead that will allow me to plug my stereo in but also run a secondary plug to allow me to plug my gauges into...is there such a thing that I can buy/make (prefer the buy as I don't trust myself with electricity!). I'm certain it is just a sort of plug plus extension wire with plug on the end but not sure how it would be made...

Cheers.