PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Is this report bad before I buy this VR4

HMG1K
26-10-2007, 01:22 PM
Please /help! After six weeks of a main dealer dragging its heels over selling me one of the 200 UK imported Galant VR4 saloons, a 2002 '52', I've had an independent RAC report carried out to make sure all is ok before I hand over the cash tomorrow. £10,000. Bearing in mind I'm not great at doing the work myself, like changing brakes etc at a later date - so I would be dealer servicing.

This was the report on this 43k mile example. What do you think? The main dealer says it has carried out a major service on it, including belts. /thankyou (Just to note this car use to belong to a member on here and all stacks up on its history - I'm just concerned if the dealer is off loading a problem that I'll inherhit and not enjoy).

Essential Repairs:

It is strongly advised that the essential defects are investigated and rectified prior to purchase.

Corrosion - floor/chassis - low and moderate levels of corrosion visible, especially around the engine bay.
Suspension noise - investigate suspension noise during drive.
Uneven tyre wear - investigate uneven tyre wear (feathering) at the front.

Advisable Repairs:

Rear quarter panel moulds (lower) insecure, front grille scuffed.

Antifreeze - weakened mixture.
Brake fluid - minor contamination.
Cigarette lighter - element missing.
Luggage area trim condition - trims insecure, misaligned, nearside rear light trim broken.
Carpets/Mats - stains, nearside front.
Interior sills - offside sill trim insecure.

The braking system’s fluid contains the presence of some water/condensation in the system. It is recommended that the fluid content be completely replaced at the next service interval.

Uneven tyre wear (feathering) was noted on both front tyres, this may indicate incorrect geometry, which can result in excessive and rapid tyre wear. A full steering and geometry check is highly recommended. Rectify any cause of misalignment as required.

The steering & suspension has been assessed to MOT standard. This allows for a degree of wear and deterioration of components without rendering them unserviceable. The extent of wear is not considered excessive at this juncture and unlikely to attract MOT failure. However, a garage may advise replacement at or before the next service.

Cracking/deterioration was noted on rear anti-roll bar bushes, this need to be replaced. An abnormal noise noted during drive take-up would also indicate a possible defect on the front suspension; this also will need to be investigated further.

As only 2 months is left on the MOT Certificate the engineer recommends a full year’s MOT is obtained prior to purchase. This may reveal repairs or maintenance requirements that could not be identified due to the constraints of a visual and external examination of the vehicle carried out without the benefit of a vehicle hoist.

Nick Mann
26-10-2007, 02:17 PM
Hmmm......

Sounds like they should be doing a bit of work on it. £10k is top dollar - I would be demanding a top-dollar car for that money. Is that the most expensive VR4 in the UK at the moment? If so, point that out to the dealer and explain your stand-point from that perspective.

Nutter_John
26-10-2007, 02:20 PM
walk away unless all points are corrected and it has a full 12 month MOT + a free full warranty

if they say no to either then walk away and tell em good luck selling at 10k

as nick says it is very very expensive for a vr4 ( but I think it is nevgrooms old one ? )

SGHOM
26-10-2007, 02:24 PM
( but I think it is nevgrooms old one ? )

If it is, then it's a damaged one ! :thinking:

HMG1K
26-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Thank you all so far - all help much appreciated!

Yes, It's Nev Groom's old one - I've read all the postings and history and seen the photos on here about it, plus spoke to Nev last weekend who spoke highly of the car... It's just what this report has thrown up.

They are thowing in a 12 month Mitsubishi warranty - and say the major service (including belts I'd asked for, has been done, although the book hadn't been stamped when it was RAC inspected yesterday.

I've spoken to the General Manager at Mitsubishi Weston Super Mare who says she's "loosing money" on this deal" - it was £11k and I'm getting it for £10,500 minus another £500 for my old car, so £10k. They want me to pay for it by tomorrow when I go to see it, and then are fine about later bringing it up to my local dealer in west London in a week or so to do the part exchange there as it is easier for me (have to rip my stereo system out and stuff.

My worry is I pay the £10k tomorrow - and I'm fine to pay for an MOT - but then the MOT when it's done Monday will throw up failures. The dealer won't budge on its terms. Maybe if I pay credit car (not debit) I'll have insurance protection and can back out on Monday if it throws up failures.

I am so confused ! Love the car - but confused ! /duh

Keep your responses coming - Thank you!!

Nutter_John
26-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Walk away , they are not losing on the deal

SGHOM
26-10-2007, 02:57 PM
was it Nev's car that was stolen a couple of yrs back ?? :thinking:
I'm with you John...... walk away.

HMG1K
26-10-2007, 03:02 PM
was it Nev's car that was stolen a couple of yrs back ?? :thinking:
I'm with you John...... walk away.

Yep - stolen and had the dash ripped out... Rear 20mph shunt and frontal shunt that was all repaired at Mitsubishi Reading...

SGHOM
26-10-2007, 03:05 PM
stay away IMHO. :inquisiti with all respect to Nev, the car is not worth £10K.

MPBVr4
26-10-2007, 03:15 PM
I agree with everything said above. At that price everything should be spot on.
I paid 16K for mine from a Mitsi dealer nearly 4 years ago and it was and still
is spot on.

I would walk away, there are better cars (with respect to Nev) for less money. I
know you prefer a white ones but it is a lot to pay for a colour.

Rambaud
26-10-2007, 03:18 PM
She seems desperate to sell it to you at £10,500?

I wonder why? Probably 'cos no-one else is prepared to pay that sort of money.

Like others have said, it seems to be overpriced.

TAR
26-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Too much money!

I would be concerned by the rust and the creaky suspension.

As said above, tell them you will only buy it if all items are rectified.

Don't be bullied by them, they wont want to loose the sale. Take as long as you like thinking about it.

Nutter_John
26-10-2007, 03:39 PM
old saying that should ring very very true

Think with you brain not your heart !!!!

You are the customer , they want to sell the car for silly money , your happy to pay big money - but you want every single point rasied by the RAC to be corrected before you part with the cash , sign nothing agree nothing until they do that or put in writing there intent

There are better value cars out there for a lot less money , you may even find a white one

Nick Mann
26-10-2007, 05:13 PM
Not being worth the money may be harsh. But certainly true if it is not A1. I say again what I said before - £10k is only fair if the car is perfect. Your report doesn't seem to think it is!!

Paul Beazer
26-10-2007, 08:13 PM
As the others said, for £10K i would be DEMANDING and expecting a mint condition car for that sort of money, this car clearly is not. For the history (stolen and shunted) alone i would be dubious of its condition. This car "may" be worth that much, but i doubt anyone would pay that for it.
I understand how much you want the car, but i think you'd be better off spending £5k on a different one and the other £5k on getting it into A1 condition.
Dont set yourself up for heartache.

ANTHONY
26-10-2007, 08:15 PM
i'm with Paul on that 1

HMG1K
26-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Folks... /thankyou ALL for all your advice and thoughts on this... I do really appreciate it...

I'm glad I did get this report carried out - ok, it set me back £220 but it looks like money well spent.

A main Mitsubishi dealer (and Weston Super Mare is owned by Colt Car Company) refusing to stick an MOT on the car before I buy it tells me a lot about the faith they have in the car they are selling. I even gave them the option that I would pay for the MOT if they would pay to recify any work should it fail - and they still refused saying they are making no money on the car. That I know isn't true as they gave Nev Groom £9.5k (as mentioned on a different thread on here) - the dealer sold it for £11k at its sister dealership in Reading and 3 months later the bloke trades it in and they put it up for the same...

I will speak Denise, the General Manager, tomorrow - say that I am backing out unless they carry out the work... and as you folks say, wish her "good luck" on moving it on as I know she will refuse. They haven't been pro-active selling it to me - I've had to chase them for 6 weeks!

/thankyou all... you folks are the best !

It's times like this that the membership fee pays for itself a MILLION times over !!! :iloveyou:

Kieran
26-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Right - Let's have a look at the issues in the context of 'what goes wrong with VR-4s' - This may help you quantify the issues somewhat.

I will say first though that I too think that £10K is top dollar and currently, the car falls short of that on the basis of this report.

However - I also think that the report you've had is representative of what an 'official' UK VR-4 that's been in this country since new and serviced within the 4,500 mile recommendations at a Mitsubishi dealership should be.

Rust - Yes, they do. And the longer it's been in the UK, the worse it will be. Grey imports, provided they've not been in a smash and poorly repaired in Japan are at a distinct advantage here. Mitsubishi Phosphate-dipped these cars but they're not galvanized. Also, the rust protection from the factory is poor - very few areas are given underseal from the factory and whilst Mitsubishi UK did underseal the 'Official' UK VR-4s, I would wager that this was a basic shultz-type of application to the underbody... That is to say adequate to get it through warranty and probably not much else. The corrosion around the engine bay is of no surprise. Even the UK-spec 'Normal' Galants are deficient in this area - TheVee will testify to this. On all my Galants the chassis leg to inner wing seams, battery tray and suspension towers have been bare paint with no seam sealing or anything. Sufficient for Japan, not for the UK. And seeing as this car has been in the UK for around 6/7 years, I am not surprised that it's got a bit of grot.

However, 'Moderate' rusting is very far from 'basket case'. On this point I would budget to correct by a full pressure wash & steam clean of the engine bay and underside, brush down and rust converter treatment of all 'scabby' areas, followed by a complete waxoyl/Dinitrol treatment of the lower engine bay, inner wheelarches (plastic liners out!) and chassis. For info on this, see here:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18930

Suspension noise - Lower arms, bushings, droplinks, engine mounts, shocks, strut tops, spring spacers.... The list goes on and it could be any one of those things. Diagnosis of suspension noise is notoriously tricky. Suggest the dealer diagnoses this one - Otherwise you could be on a Magic Roundabout of part swapping.

Uneven tyre wear.... Hmm - Doesn't say how. I think that VR-4s can be hard on their tyres and feathering on the outer edges could just be enthusiastic cornering. Could be tracking. We know that the car's been in the wars, but it's certainly not been a MAJOR smash, so it's unlikely to be that the chassis is banana shaped!

On the other repairs:

Antifreeze - No big deal. If it's weak, it's ready for a change. Important thing is that there isn't (as far as the report says) any evidence of oil or exhaust gas in there.

Brake fluid - Bit scaremongering. Brake fluid is hygroscopic. As it ages it will take on a bit of moisture and the brake fluid reservoir cap isn't brilliant - it can take an attempt or two to get a good seal (and then when you want to remove it it won't budge! :smash:) I would consider that the car will be ready for a brake fluid change next service, or sooner if the pedal feels 'mushy'.

Cigarette lighter - Oh what a disaster..... :inquisiti :thinking: /pan

Luggage area trim condition - Could be as a result of the accident repairs at the rear? I would say an afternoon fiddling about and re-seating everything could improve this.

Carpets/Mats - stains, nearside front - Yes, they do. People actually use these cars, funnily enough! /pan If it's really bad, then you can hire a Rug Doctor from B&Q. This got seven years worth of Tokyo Nastyness and cigarette smoke out of my car.

Interior sills - Smack the trim panel and the clip will engage and secure it. Or it might be missing. It's dead easy to lift them and re-seat.

Anti-Roll bars - I replaced mine when I upgraded my Anti Roll bars to Cusco items. The originals, although worn and ready for replacement did look worse on the car than they actually were. The reason they looked bad is (I think) down to the fact that they're a 'split' design (so you can get them over the ARB) and also because the clamps tend to compress them and make the sides bulge slightly (bulging being an indicator of possible bushing wear). If they *are* knackered, which is possible, then a competent garage could sort in about an hour plus cost of parts (they're not expensive parts).

Also, on the recent service... So the belts have been changed. Good start. But what belts? If the cambelts been changed then what about the Tensioner? Tensioner pulley? Idler Pulley? Waterpump?

In my opinion, none of the reported issues are huge, In fact I would consider them as either 'typical' or 'niggles'. However as both myself and many others have said, the asking price is for a faultless, spotless car. And it's currently not.

I personally would pitch for £7-8K in its current condition.

HMG1K
26-10-2007, 09:03 PM
Right - Let's have a look at the issues in the context of 'what goes wrong with VR-4s' - This may help you quantify the issues somewhat.

I will say first though that I too think that £10K is top dollar and currently, the car falls short of that on the basis of this report.

However - I also think that the report you've had is representative of what an 'official' UK VR-4 that's been in this country since new and serviced within the 4,500 mile recommendations at a Mitsubishi dealership should be.

Rust - Yes, they do. And the longer it's been in the UK, the worse it will be. Grey imports, provided they've not been in a smash and poorly repaired in Japan are at a distinct advantage here. Mitsubishi Phosphate-dipped these cars but they're not galvanized. Also, the rust protection from the factory is poor - very few areas are given underseal from the factory and whilst Mitsubishi UK did underseal the 'Official' UK VR-4s, I would wager that this was a basic shultz-type of application to the underbody... That is to say adequate to get it through warranty and probably not much else. The corrosion around the engine bay is of no surprise. Even the UK-spec 'Normal' Galants are deficient in this area - TheVee will testify to this. On all my Galants the chassis leg to inner wing seams, battery tray and suspension towers have been bare paint with no seam sealing or anything. Sufficient for Japan, not for the UK. And seeing as this car has been in the UK for around 6/7 years, I am not surprised that it's got a bit of grot.

However, 'Moderate' rusting is very far from 'basket case'. On this point I would budget to correct by a full pressure wash & steam clean of the engine bay and underside, brush down and rust converter treatment of all 'scabby' areas, followed by a complete waxoyl/Dinitrol treatment of the lower engine bay, inner wheelarches (plastic liners out!) and chassis. For info on this, see here:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18930

Suspension noise - Lower arms, bushings, droplinks, engine mounts, shocks, strut tops, spring spacers.... The list goes on and it could be any one of those things. Diagnosis of suspension noise is notoriously tricky. Suggest the dealer diagnoses this one - Otherwise you could be on a Magic Roundabout of part swapping.

Uneven tyre wear.... Hmm - Doesn't say how. I think that VR-4s can be hard on their tyres and feathering on the outer edges could just be enthusiastic cornering. Could be tracking. We know that the car's been in the wars, but it's certainly not been a MAJOR smash, so it's unlikely to be that the chassis is banana shaped!

On the other repairs:

Antifreeze - No big deal. If it's weak, it's ready for a change. Important thing is that there isn't (as far as the report says) any evidence of oil or exhaust gas in there.

Brake fluid - Bit scaremongering. Brake fluid is hygroscopic. As it ages it will take on a bit of moisture and the brake fluid reservoir cap isn't brilliant - it can take an attempt or two to get a good seal (and then when you want to remove it it won't budge! :smash:) I would consider that the car will be ready for a brake fluid change next service, or sooner if the pedal feels 'mushy'.

Cigarette lighter - Oh what a disaster..... :inquisiti :thinking: /pan

Luggage area trim condition - Could be as a result of the accident repairs at the rear? I would say an afternoon fiddling about and re-seating everything could improve this.

Carpets/Mats - stains, nearside front - Yes, they do. People actually use these cars, funnily enough! /pan If it's really bad, then you can hire a Rug Doctor from B&Q. This got seven years worth of Tokyo Nastyness and cigarette smoke out of my car.

Interior sills - Smack the trim panel and the clip will engage and secure it. Or it might be missing. It's dead easy to lift them and re-seat.

Anti-Roll bars - I replaced mine when I upgraded my Anti Roll bars to Cusco items. The originals, although worn and ready for replacement did look worse on the car than they actually were. The reason they looked bad is (I think) down to the fact that they're a 'split' design (so you can get them over the ARB) and also because the clamps tend to compress them and make the sides bulge slightly (bulging being an indicator of possible bushing wear). If they *are* knackered, which is possible, then a competent garage could sort in about an hour plus cost of parts (they're not expensive parts).

Also, on the recent service... So the belts have been changed. Good start. But what belts? If the cambelts been changed then what about the Tensioner? Tensioner pulley? Idler Pulley? Waterpump?

In my opinion, none of the reported issues are huge, In fact I would consider them as either 'typical' or 'niggles'. However as both myself and many others have said, the asking price is for a faultless, spotless car. And it's currently not.

I personally would pitch for £7-8K in its current condition.

Interesting take!

See, if there was a decent MOT on it, fine - there is a month to run on it and as I said to the dealer, I want to take the car and enjoy it - not buy it, and then take it back to pass the MOT... The say they've done the full major 43k service, around £750 that includes the belts... and replaced the font bushes that didnt need replacing - that would have sorted the feathering...

What I don't want is to be sold a pup - aside from what's happened to Nev's old car in the past, it is a lovely car... and I've taken all that on board and am fine with it... it's the mechanical niggles... like the rear bushes... possible front suspension noise on take up...

Things like tracking are easy to rectify as we all know... Brake fluid, well maybe they should have changed that - but i can live with it till the next service...

Grrrr !!! I'm a typical Cancarian... Can't decide and I even get a £350 trade in on my 17 year old Galant!

I'm thinking at least a trip down to see the car - inspect and see from there...

bradc
26-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Nev's car is nice, I don't think the repairs or theft are an issue really, I mean it hasn't been written off or anything, so I don't think it matters too much.

The other problems however should be fixed, and I think they are trying to screw you over a bit. Tell them to do the MOT for you, get everything fixed including replacing the tyres if they are worn and get it in perfect condition for you. If they don't want to do that, then the car isn't worth that much.

NevGroom
26-10-2007, 09:45 PM
Just spotted this one - Like I said way back I was really surprised to get £9.5k trade-in on this and found it difficult at the time to contain my enthusiasm! It was still a very decent motor when I PX'd it and am still regretting it to this day. However, looking at the prices of similar VR4's over the past 6-months (yes I regret it that much!!), I think £10k is way over the odds.

I know you want a white facelift but, perhaps it's worth waiting a little longer.

Certainly with Keiran on his take, most are pretty pedantic observations, I did forget to mention when we spoke that there may also be a problem with the rear nearside shock.

What would I do - Hmmmmm, toughy - I loved it, maybe my heart would rule my brain........(better the devil you know???). Not much help I'm afraid.

Nev

bradc
26-10-2007, 09:47 PM
you shouldn't have sold it in the first place Nev!

NevGroom
26-10-2007, 09:48 PM
stay away IMHO. :inquisiti with all respect to Nev, the car is not worth £10K.

OY!/pan

It was when you saw it - Maybe not now though..........:oops:

NevGroom
26-10-2007, 09:49 PM
you shouldn't have sold it in the first place Nev!

You are so very not wrong!!!!!

bradc
26-10-2007, 09:54 PM
you could always go there and demand you get it for 9.5k and sell the shogun :)

HMG1K
26-10-2007, 10:58 PM
Nev's car is nice, I don't think the repairs or theft are an issue really, I mean it hasn't been written off or anything, so I don't think it matters too much.

The other problems however should be fixed, and I think they are trying to screw you over a bit. Tell them to do the MOT for you, get everything fixed including replacing the tyres if they are worn and get it in perfect condition for you. If they don't want to do that, then the car isn't worth that much.

Ok... been thinking long and hard - brain frazzled! Heart and head have been pulled a part from one another!

I'm going to call tomorrow and ask them to do the MOT - otherwise I'll have my deposit back...

My thinking is if they HAVE done the major 43k service, then the car would sail through an MOT with no hassles... and if they refuse, then they'll only have to get an MOT for the next person who buys it - it's November in a few days and the MOT expires in December. If no one buys the car - I'll just go back and buy it in December... There isn't even tax on the car, something I was willing to sort!

:iloveyou: all !!!

ianturbo
26-10-2007, 11:10 PM
ten bags is a lot of money , there are cars out there for a lot less and if you spend the change you would have on one then you would have the car you want , and this one is not it !!!
ian

HMG1K
26-10-2007, 11:18 PM
Just spotted this one - Like I said way back I was really surprised to get £9.5k trade-in on this and found it difficult at the time to contain my enthusiasm! It was still a very decent motor when I PX'd it and am still regretting it to this day. However, looking at the prices of similar VR4's over the past 6-months (yes I regret it that much!!), I think £10k is way over the odds.

I know you want a white facelift but, perhaps it's worth waiting a little longer.

Certainly with Keiran on his take, most are pretty pedantic observations, I did forget to mention when we spoke that there may also be a problem with the rear nearside shock.

What would I do - Hmmmmm, toughy - I loved it, maybe my heart would rule my brain........(better the devil you know???). Not much help I'm afraid.

Nev

Nev.. you were GREAT help the other night /thankyou - and for taking the time out to talk to me about it. Having read all your previous history with the car on here weeks ago, I was fine with it all... I knew what I was getting into...

I'm still ready to buy, but they are being so awkward at WSM and putting obsticles in the way.

Ok, they've seen me coming as I've been open and upfront with them all the way and keen... but I'm just an open person and don't play games. What 'fake' customer would stick a deposit down, upping it when they said they wanted the cash to do the work, and then pay for a £200 inspection that they can then use themselves!

They told me earlier that the salesman is setting an hour aside to sign the papers with me tomorrow... <COUGH!> Now there's a time limt on a £10k transaction, days before they need to hit their sales target for the month ?! hehehe!

By the way - the shocks didn't come up on the report at all.. ! :2thumbsup

thecustomer
26-10-2007, 11:34 PM
two thoughts...

1 What's the dealer getting out of this? If you buy, she gets the commission on the warranty.
Once there's a warranty on it, you get things fixed by a dealer. They get paid. Dealer doesn't care if warranty company refuses some of the costs.

So I'd call the warranty company, and see what they say about the inspection report. Will they cover the full cost of faults in the inspection report (ie from before the warranty) ?

2 What's your warranty cover? It doesn't cost a dealer much to increase the time period, and the cover value. Aim for at least 1 year, and £3000 - £5000 is tops. And then push for extending the period to 2 or 3 years. They may want to charge for that - but don't pay more than £200, if you think it's worth that.

I think you're dead right about the MOT: they should have nothing to fear on that.

Have you let them know that you know the car's history? It could give them a surprise, and get them to roll over.

good luck

Will

ianturbo
26-10-2007, 11:36 PM
Nev.. you were GREAT help the other night /thankyou - and for taking the time out to talk to me about it. Having read all your previous history with the car on here weeks ago, I was fine with it all... I knew what I was getting into...

I'm still ready to buy, but they are being so awkward at WSM and putting obsticles in the way.

Ok, they've seen me coming as I've been open and upfront with them all the way and keen... but I'm just an open person and don't play games. What 'fake' customer would stick a deposit down, upping it when they said they wanted the cash to do the work, and then pay for a £200 inspection that they can then use themselves!

They told me earlier that the salesman is setting an hour aside to sign the papers with me tomorrow... <COUGH!> Now there's a time limt on a £10k transaction, days before they need to hit their sales target for the month ?! hehehe!

By the way - the shocks didn't come up on the report at all.. ! :2thumbsupits 10 grand mate !! not 2 grand , sounds like your buyin for sake of it , don't let your heart rule your head !
ian

Nutter_John
26-10-2007, 11:37 PM
and don't forget to mention that you know that the car was sold for 9.5k to the last garage !!!

other side is that you could spend 6k on a nice vr4 and the other 4k adding loots of mods and getting it perfect for you

HMG1K
26-10-2007, 11:42 PM
two thoughts...

1 What's the dealer getting out of this? If you buy, she gets the commission on the warranty.
Once there's a warranty on it, you get things fixed by a dealer. They get paid. Dealer doesn't care if warranty company refuses some of the costs.

So I'd call the warranty company, and see what they say about the inspection report. Will they cover the full cost of faults in the inspection report (ie from before the warranty) ?

2 What's your warranty cover? It doesn't cost a dealer much to increase the time period, and the cover value. Aim for at least 1 year, and £3000 - £5000 is tops. And then push for extending the period to 2 or 3 years. They may want to charge for that - but don't pay more than £200, if you think it's worth that.

I think you're dead right about the MOT: they should have nothing to fear on that.

Have you let them know that you know the car's history? It could give them a surprise, and get them to roll over.

good luck

Will

Thanks Will ! Yeah, throwing in a year's Mitsubishi warranty - I was going to extend and pay for three years, but got the squeeze to read the small print terms and conditions (she's a corporate barrister so knows these styles of T&Cs inside out) and she said it wasn't worth the paper it was written on. The selling leaflet says it does all belts, for instance, the T&Cs say no belts are covered as they are 'servicable' items... so don't think they will cover it - though worth a try - I'll call the warranty firm.

I haven't let them know the car's history!

HMG1K
26-10-2007, 11:45 PM
its 10 grand mate !! not 2 grand , sounds like your buyin for sake of it , don't let your heart rule your head !
ian

Hey Ian..!

I know! I fell in love with the motor - but wanted to make sure all was fine as the dealer is the most unhelpful ever! Heavens knows how they sell cars! I've had to ring them to get updates on "is the service done yet?" - they said to me at the time... "yes, it was finished last week"... Why didn't you call me to tell me?!" ...a bemused response came back from the other end!

Nevman
26-10-2007, 11:46 PM
Agreed with all above.
Just one little thing. When I've bought mine (it's also official Ralliart saloon) I've seen the whole service history, and the bill for major service with cambelts was aroun £1900, not £750...
Maybe the price doesn't matter but it says aboyt the quality of the service and number of parts changed - hence service done properly IMHO.
I would pay £10.000 ONLY if all the issues are sorted and confirmed by another RAC report. Otherwise I'd walk away.

HMG1K
26-10-2007, 11:48 PM
and don't forget to mention that you know that the car was sold for 9.5k to the last garage !!!

other side is that you could spend 6k on a nice vr4 and the other 4k adding loots of mods and getting it perfect for you

hehehe ! Yep, they know I know the PX price - but being a journalist I din't reveal my source!

Just looking at a lovely silver-ish 2001 '01' Legnum VR4 at this place in Hamshire. http://www.nglmotors.co.uk/12852/showroom.htm - £6k !

I only set out for a standard Galant - now the VR4 bug has gripped me!

Nutter_John
26-10-2007, 11:53 PM
Tell you what that one looks a far better deal than the 10k car

Would have a look at that one before you go to WSM

HMG1K
26-10-2007, 11:55 PM
Tell you what that one looks a far better deal than the 10k car

Would have a look at that one before you go to WSM

I know - in comparrison..! Licking my lips at that one! Think I'll do just that, John!

Kieran
27-10-2007, 01:06 AM
I know - in comparrison..! Licking my lips at that one! Think I'll do just that, John!

I would too at that price! And the reg number suggests that's another one of the 'Official' cars too - Probably bought in by Extreme looking at that plate.

bradc
27-10-2007, 03:50 AM
and silver is a lot better than white! (runs away and hides, but knows Kieran will back me up)

ok that one is one year older, but who cars? With 4000 extra cash you can do a full service to it, heck even buy yourself a silly little diseasel car to run around in through the week.

MPBVr4
27-10-2007, 08:23 AM
I have say to Mitsi WSM are being extremely tight with your "deal". When I bought mine from Ticknells Mitsubishi I got 12 months MOT 6 months tax and 2 years Red Zebra warranty.

ritch_w
27-10-2007, 08:34 AM
before u buy, as said before its very pricey so insist on the years MOT. one other question tho - is the previous stolen recovered and rear end shunt incidents recorded by the insurance - if so and it shows on an hpi, it could make selling the car on difficult....

good luck and the £6K one looks like a better bet ;)

HMG1K
27-10-2007, 09:02 AM
I have say to Mitsi WSM are being extremely tight with your "deal". When I bought mine from Ticknells Mitsubishi I got 12 months MOT 6 months tax and 2 years Red Zebra warranty.

That's what I can't understand why they are being sooooo tight and akward on a deal which is about to complete... Their attitude and awkwardness leaves a bad taste in my mouth... Not a "Wow" I own a VR4, lets go and have fun!" Seems more like here's my £10k, may I have your potential problem...!

I think Colt Car Company owned Mitsubishi dealers have this 'attitude' of take it or leave it, we're not bothered. I had the same at its Putney branch when they gave me my car back on 4 occasions saying the radiator was fine they installed despite it overheating as soon as I drove 2 miles down the road. I ended up with a cracked head and fought, and won for them to pay the £2k repair bill... Before Colt took over Putney I'd used it for 13 years and they were lovely, took time with you as a customer.

HMG1K
27-10-2007, 09:09 AM
before u buy, as said before its very pricey so insist on the years MOT. one other question tho - is the previous stolen recovered and rear end shunt incidents recorded by the insurance - if so and it shows on an hpi, it could make selling the car on difficult....

good luck and the £6K one looks like a better bet ;)

Thanks for the good luck... I'm needing it at the mo! Really! /Elmo

The repairs from the shunt and the stolen recoverd don't show up on any HPI check... Mine, the dealers, and the RAC report...

I know Nev did all the work himself, in terms of paying for all the repairs himself and WSM's sister dealership at Reading - that was for the front shunt without going through the insurance.

Paul Beazer
27-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Phillip i'd deffo take a look at that Silver estate, that looks really nice. Price is better too, so you'll have money left over for toys! Tell mitsu to shove their car, on principle i wouldn't go ahead because of their attitude.
If its done 69k, make sure its had the 54k cambelt change!

HMG1K
27-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Phillip i'd deffo take a look at that Silver estate, that looks really nice. Price is better too, so you'll have money left over for toys! Tell mitsu to shove their car, on principle i wouldn't go ahead because of their attitude.
If its done 69k, make sure its had the 54k cambelt change!

Cheers Paul!

What makes me Grrrrr is that when I tried to offer my Galant with just 2 months MOT left to run, they refused it as they wanted a minimum of 3 months MOT... So I got a new 12 month MOT on mine, they accepted my car as PX and then they want to flog me a car with a months MOT! /grr

bradc
27-10-2007, 10:10 AM
just get the silver one!

DefeXion
27-10-2007, 10:51 AM
dude... do not give them any of your money. do not give them ANYTHING apart from the backside of your hand ( not literally of course :P ). The Silver legnum sounds like a far superior deal and the company looks respectable aswell mainly selling beamas and mercs and whatnot. and just think of what you can do with the spare 4000 pounds

I just noticed that the ad says it has an LSD. If that is true and not a typo, you are dibs in :D

Paul Beazer
27-10-2007, 07:13 PM
dude... do not give them any of your money. do not give them ANYTHING apart from the backside of your hand ( not literally of course :P ). The Silver legnum sounds like a far superior deal and the company looks respectable aswell mainly selling beamas and mercs and whatnot. and just think of what you can do with the spare 4000 pounds

I just noticed that the ad says it has an LSD. If that is true and not a typo, you are dibs in :D
LSD is standard fitment to VR4's with no AYC.

NevGroom
27-10-2007, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the good luck... I'm needing it at the mo! Really! /Elmo

The repairs from the shunt and the stolen recoverd don't show up on any HPI check... Mine, the dealers, and the RAC report...

I know Nev did all the work himself, in terms of paying for all the repairs himself and WSM's sister dealership at Reading - that was for the front shunt without going through the insurance.

The front shunt definitely went through insurance - I did pay the (£2.5k) for the stolen damage but the front shunt needed new intercooler and other such stuff which, from Mitsi cost an arm and a leg. The insurance paid, my NCD disappeared and premium went through the roof hence I had to get rid (or thought I should........)

NevGroom
27-10-2007, 09:08 PM
PS - I would never have a silver car - same colour as cloud & fog and makes you less visible to other road users than an unlit motorcycle - Looks great (when you can see it!!)

HMG1K
27-10-2007, 11:57 PM
OK... here is closure on this episode... Rang the General Manager at WsM this morning to say I'm backing out of the deal as she was not willing to do an MOT, with just a month to run on it, and so I'd like my deposit returned... She changd her tune and said she WOULD do an MOT and cover all costs should it fail...

Sucker here drove from west London to WsM at 11am this morning, assured the full 43k service and belts has been done as requested - its last service was in April this year...

I got there, car is immaculate, SIGH! Gave it the once over visually, all fine... Salesman was with a customer so he gives me the keys... It's so swish inside! Ok, time to see the paperwork relating to the 43k service ahead of the MOT this Monday and me handing over the cash... Mistubishi WsM's idea of a 43k full service and belts? Here's what the £700 service stretched too:

LABOUR: 5 hours - £400..
PARTA:
Oil filter...
4 x Spark plugs...
Timing belt...
Shell Helix engine oil...
AYC oil...
Gaskit oil drain plug...
x2 Tie rod steering (needed replacing)...
x2 number plates (Why? The back was changed the front wasn't and they were ok)

Clearly the mechanic was told what to replace - as you know this wasn't the full recommended Mitsubishi 43k service... A timing belt where the tensioners haven't been replaced...? A twin turbo where the turbo's haven't been serviced... You can fill the rest in with what should be done on a 43k service...

They had a deal in me... not anymore... the salesman just insisted this was what you get in a 43k service with belts on a VR4! The General Manager will get my call in the morning with confirmation I'm out... Why bluff something so easy to check.

Folks, thank you all... This has been an experience... what a way to loose a sale!

By the way, waiting on that one in Hampshire - that Legnum... deposit is down on it at the mo they say...

/thank you for all your help and guidence! You folks rock!

zedy1
28-10-2007, 12:09 AM
4 x Spark plugs...

isnt it supposed to be 6 /Grrr

HMG1K
28-10-2007, 12:14 AM
4 x Spark plugs...

isnt it supposed to be 6 /Grrr

They've got 4 down! So its 6 then!

Nutter_John
28-10-2007, 01:52 AM
no water pump ,
no gearbox fluids ,
no transfer box fluid ,
no rear diff fuild ,
PS and Alt belt change
brake fluid check and replace

just to name a few , but as you say the tensioner has not been replaced and neither has the water pump , as Mo said 4 plugs ( bet thats just a mistake and it was six )

Now the question mark on the work they have stated to have done is how did they manage all that in 5 hours , the timing belt is close to 3 hrs (w/o water pump ) the plugs are about 1.5 hr,s the tie rod and oils should be about 2hrs so that makes it 6.5 hrs work ???? , did they do the tracking after the tie rods ?????

there is no turbo service just an inspection

TBH I would say with the greatest of respect to you , take the rose tinted glasses off and tell them to 4 cough as they have seen you coming .

Now go and look at that other one you posted up as that looks like a nice car at a fairer price ( and I bet you can get 500 quid off if you haggle )

Good luck

HMG1K
28-10-2007, 09:11 AM
no water pump ,
no gearbox fluids ,
no transfer box fluid ,
no rear diff fuild ,
PS and Alt belt change
brake fluid check and replace

just to name a few , but as you say the tensioner has not been replaced and neither has the water pump , as Mo said 4 plugs ( bet thats just a mistake and it was six )

Now the question mark on the work they have stated to have done is how did they manage all that in 5 hours , the timing belt is close to 3 hrs (w/o water pump ) the plugs are about 1.5 hr,s the tie rod and oils should be about 2hrs so that makes it 6.5 hrs work ???? , did they do the tracking after the tie rods ?????

there is no turbo service just an inspection

TBH I would say with the greatest of respect to you , take the rose tinted glasses off and tell them to 4 cough as they have seen you coming .

Now go and look at that other one you posted up as that looks like a nice car at a fairer price ( and I bet you can get 500 quid off if you haggle )

Good luck

Rose tints well and truely off now!

No tracking following the track rod ends - and they replaced two rear tires on my request - invoice lists the x2 tires but no mention of balancing either...

This has been an experience... I'm officially walking away...!

This posting and all your replies is yet more proof to newbies, should they ever doubt it, that paying the £20 members fee here is worth its weight in gold...!

Kieran
28-10-2007, 01:43 PM
This has been an experience... I'm officially walking away...!!

An unfortunate conclusion - but without a doubt the RIGHT one in this case I think.

Make sure you tell the dealership why - Maybe take a print out of this thread in for them - some customer feedback.

OR maybe a snotty letter to Mitsubishi UK - Quite often produces results!

bradc
28-10-2007, 07:23 PM
I would send a letter to mitsi UK :)

HMG1K
30-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Here's the email I sent to Denise Russow, General Manager of WSM dealership (and 3 others in the west of England)... Will also forward to the MD at Colt for his comments...

Denise...

Following my visit to your Weston super Mare dealership on Saturday afternoon to inspect the agreed work carried out to the Galant VR4, I am pulling out of our agreement.

The scheduled 45k mile / 60 month service carried out falls short of the documented Mitsubishi Ralliart maintenance programme (attached)..

This includes:

* No replacement of the automatic transmission fluid (item #38)...
* No replacement of the Transfer and Rear Differential oils (item #39)...

In addition to this the following has not been carried out:

* No balancing prior to the two new rear tires fitted...
* No tracking of the front wheels on the vehicle following the replacement of two new steering rack tie rod ends.
* Timing belt has been replaced, but the existing belt tensioners remain which should be replaced at every belt service.

I have attached the Mitsubishi Ralliart maintenance programme for your reference. The 45k mile / 60 month service covers item # 1-26 and item # 32 - 39. Your own dealership's service invoice is also attached for your reference, comparison and as customer feedback.

After six weeks of trying to conclude this purchase I am disappointed that this is the outcome as I had my heart set on this particular vehicle, and believed I had trust in a Mitsubishi dealership, owned by the Colt Car Company, to carry out the work set out for a Mitsubishi Ralliart car.

Please advise me today when you have refunded my £500 deposit back to my credit card.

Warm regards...
philip

HMG1K
30-10-2007, 08:26 AM
By the way, that service schedule attached is from this wonderful site! The resouces are tremendous!

bradc
30-10-2007, 08:39 AM
nice :)

I would also show them this ENTIRE thread and email it to the MD of mitsi UK and explain to him the frustrations you've had.

HMG1K
30-10-2007, 09:29 AM
nice :)

I would also show them this ENTIRE thread and email it to the MD of mitsi UK and explain to him the frustrations you've had.

That's on the way - gonna email the Head of Press and Public Relations... and MD of Colt UK- CC this Denise on asking the other two for their comments..!

MPBVr4
30-10-2007, 10:09 AM
All this confirms my suspicions about Mitsi dealers. My local dealer has lost their "Ralliart" status and now try to refer me to WSM for servicing. I don't think so/Grrr
Had a look through all my service receipts since owning the car and there are certainly shortcomings and would explain why ATF and diff oils were so dirty when WRD did the fluid replacements earlier this year.
As a result I shall be doing my own servicing where possible in future.

Kieran
30-10-2007, 01:16 PM
As a result I shall be doing my own servicing where possible in future.

And in many ways, that's a really sad situation to be in - Where the only way to ensure decent quality servicing is to DIY or visit a specialist like Eurospec.... It's a damning indictment of Mitsubishi's sevicing policy I think!

Given that Mitsubishi still sell things like EVOs, it makes one wonder what the approach to those is.... Are they as sloppy as they appear to be with VR-4s?:inquisiti

MPBVr4
30-10-2007, 01:30 PM
Given that Mitsubishi still sell things like EVOs, it makes one wonder what the approach to those is.... Are they as sloppy as they appear to be with VR-4s?:inquisiti

Given that my local dealer has lost their "Ralliart" status I would think so:inquisiti

The mechanic that works there and runs a modded Galant V6 Sport, is pretty good, so I think "corner cutting" probably comes from higher up/pan

HMG1K
30-10-2007, 05:11 PM
I had shoddy servicing 2 years ago at a Colt Car Company owned dealership at Putney in west London, MotorWey - sister dealership to WSM, Reading, Chertsey and Bristol.

The Putney dealership was family owned and the man decided to retire at 60 to the south of France, hand his franchise back to Mitsubishi and also up sell his string of BMW dealerships in south west London. I'd used his Mitsubishi place from 1993 to 2005 after my selling dealer ceased trading - immaculate service and attention from Putney.

So, in 2005, Colt took over, I thought even better service - how wrong! Took my Galant in for a major belt service, they told me there and then I needed a new radiator - "fine" I said, go ahead... They gave the car back to me on FOUR occasions with the car overheating each time, anything from a mile to 4 miles down the road - on the last occasion cracking the head. They want to charge me over £2k to fix their crated problem. After much arguing my point with them, MotorWey Putney stumped up the cost of rebuilding my engine's head and getting it back to normal.

Humming Bird Motors in north London and Hertfordshire are great. A man called Victor Pierror is in charge of the service department there - he sold me my current galant when it was just 12 month old.

HMG1K
30-10-2007, 05:37 PM
OK... just emailed this to Andy Wertheim, the General Manager Press & Public Relations at Colt Car Company, and CC'd its Managing Director Jim Tyrrell, also CC'd Denise Russouw, the General Manager at its WSM dealership - as she hadn't responded to my email from yesterday, despite promising in the past she'd refund my deposit. I'll keep you posted on any response I get.

Andy...

Forwarded is an email regarding my experience at trying to buy a Galant VR4 from your Weston super Mare dealership, which as you will be aware is run by Colt Car Company.

As you will read from my email to the branch's General Manager, Denise Rossouw, the 45k / 60 month service that was agreed to be carried out prior purchasing this car fell short of the documented Mitsubishi Ralliart maintenance programme.

Being a Mitsubishi owner for more than 20 years, I am interested in your comments on this, on behalf of Colt Car Company. I have also CC'd your company's Managing Director Jim Tyrrell as I would also value Jim's contribution to my experience.

As a matter of courtesy, I have also CC'd Denise Rossouw on this email too.

I look forward to your responses...

Warm regards...
Philip

HMG1K
30-10-2007, 06:36 PM
WOW! Fast reply from Colt Car Company - within 30 minutes!

Dear Philip,

I am sorry to hear that you have had an unsatisfactory experience with
your Galant VR-4 servicing.

If you can let me have a little time to do some research at my end, that
would be most appreciated.

Please rest-assured that I will come back to you ASAP.

Kind regards

Andy Wertheim
General Manager - Press & Public Relations

Mitsubishi Motors in the UK
Watermoor, Cirencester, Gloucestershire, GL7 1LF

Kieran
31-10-2007, 01:08 AM
Oooh.... Interesting!

Keep us posted, won't you!:scholar:

Spirit
31-10-2007, 01:11 AM
Just caught up on this thread......sounds like a sensible decision to have walked away. Well done on making your head rule your heart, and good luck with the other car.

HMG1K
31-10-2007, 01:24 AM
Thanks folks - will keep you all updated...

This was meant to be an honourable business transaction - and WsM failed - and failed badly... I believe it's only fair that Colt HQ is aware of the situation and WsM knows that customers - especially us / potential VR4 / Evo owners and others in the marque take our servicing seriously as Mitsubishi say they do...

Plus, I feel sorry for the person who does buy that VR4, not knowing what's gone on, but sees a stamped service book for all belts and the like at 45k when that hasn't been completed as per schedule...

HMG1K
01-11-2007, 11:02 AM
Latest reply from Colt Car Company this morning...

Dear Philip,

I have been liaising directly with the Managing Director of our Retail
Group, Rob Ayland.

Rob is now fully up-to-speed with your situation. As the Retail Group is
run as a separate business from the National Distributor Organisation,
it is best at this stage that he responds to your concerns in person.

I know that Rob is conducting detailed investigations into the issues
you have raised, and will be in touch with you directly in the near
future.

With kind regards,

Andy Wertheim
General Manager - Press & Public Relations

Dexxx
02-11-2007, 07:10 AM
what's a MOT?? sorry very new to this. hehehe.

Kieran
02-11-2007, 09:21 AM
what's a MOT?? sorry very new to this. hehehe.

An MOT is a test in the UK that every car over 3 years old has every year. It's a test to make sure the car is safe and covers components such as steering, suspension, brakes, bodywork, glass and lights.

BuzzPuppy
03-11-2007, 05:29 AM
If we had that in Australia, it'd weed out some DANGEROUS cars we have on our roads. The irony is that the ones with bumper stickers saying to cut down on emissions/sign up to the Kyoto Protocol/insert-your-greenie-enviro-comment-here are some of the worst maintained blue-smoke belching rides out there!

HMG1K
22-11-2007, 10:09 PM
Just updating this post...

The Managing Director of the retail arm of Colt Cars Mid West (looks after all its dealerships) rang me to discuss the situation.

He apologised for all the hassle I'd been put through for no reason in tryingto buy this car and the broken promises made to me by his staff at Weston super Mare...

He was unaware of the comprehensive Ralliart service schedule for the VR4s - and I guess others - (the Raliart service schedule available in the Resources section on this site) and said that he'd be taking it up with his dealership...

Also he confirmed that tensioners etc had not been replaced in the full service as should have been done, and will follow it up as training for staff...

Anyway, he was a lovely guy, and offered to refund me the £230 I paid for an independent inspection of the car... The cheque has promptly arrived and so has a refund of my deposit...

By the way, during the time I was trying to buy this VR4 the salesman said there was a another potential customer who was ringing every other day and wanted thecar if i wasn't going to buy it... Well, 3 weeks on I see this VR4 has appeared again for sale on WSM's website at £11k... With my rose tinted glasses firmly off that really is the most expensive second hand VR4 in the UK! I can't remember seeing a diamond encrused ashtray... or boot liner!

By the way, for any newbies thinking of getting it, it needs its tensioners, water pump and full fluids replacing as they weren't done in the so called full service and a host of other things! I'm willing to talk you through it should you want to PM me.

Thank you everyone for your help in this case...
philip

gavinjacques
28-11-2007, 01:54 AM
please say not brought silver one as has disappeared off site and have taken day off (friday to go and view) (600mile round trip)

HMG1K
28-11-2007, 02:40 PM
Nope - not me... That Legnum vanished yesterday...

Did you not leave a deposit on the car ahead of going to see it this Friday?

HMG1K
28-03-2008, 09:38 PM
Cor blimey, gov'nor..!

How many times is Nev Groom's old car gonna try to be sold by Mitsubishi Weston super Mare...?!

After having been 'sold' a month ago - it's back up on Auto Trader by the very same dealer... Give it 4 weeks and it'll be a year since they got it and sold it to the last owner (not Nev)... before taking it back in part exhange and this thread kicked in!

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/MITSUBISHI+GALANT/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146,N-4294963613-4294967258/advert.action?R=200813306652057&distance=115&postcode=w5+4nh&channel=CARS&make=MITSUBISHI&model=GALANT&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=

NevGroom
29-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Still got the Profec-B fitted - I wonder if they know what it is???

elnevio
07-05-2008, 08:16 AM
Didn't see the sticker price on the window, but this was still up for sale on the front corner of Weston Mitsi's lot on Sunday when I drove past. I thought about having a poke around for a larf /pan

HMG1K
07-05-2008, 12:07 PM
£9,995 at the moment... down from £10.995 that it was sold for by the dealer last April - and what they had it up for when I was looking at it last autumn...

It's on AutoTrader too..

Considering the price of similar mileage official UK VR4s of the same age, givve or take a few months, this is so expensive!