PDA

View Full Version : Getting my legnum this week...

noelweston
28-10-2007, 11:45 AM
Hi folks -

Finally gone and done it... should be collecting my Legnum on Thursday or Friday.

Been intrigued by these ever since I tried to follow one down the A43 in my impreza a couple of years ago... so I'm quite excited ! I've also been lurking and reading here for a while.

I'm sure I'll have a few questions once I get it home. The only one that comes to mind initially is a simple one that I haven't found an answer for... what petrol does it need ? Will it run happily on standard unleaded, or does it need higher octane fuel ? (I know that imported legacy turbos tend to die if not feed premium fuel - does the same apply to the VR-4 ?)

It's a pearl white, black leather interior, tiptronic VR-4 - pictures and details will follow as soon as I can.

Noel

Nutter_John
28-10-2007, 11:52 AM
Hi and Welcome sounds like you have a nice car there

as for petrol I'm affraid then answer is it is best to use SUL tesco 99 ron or V Power has always been options for these cars

noelweston
28-10-2007, 12:06 PM
Thanks for that, John.

SUL is not a problem... I'm not getting this to be cheap on juice, after all ! (I don't do a lot of miles a year, so the fuel cost doesn't concern me too much (*)) Just didn't want to be feeding it the wrong stuff and causing myself problems later on.

Does standard UL actually damage these, then, or is it more that they are happier with SUL ?

Noel
(*) Not after an Opel Monza, Impreza and Pontiac Fiero it doesn't, anyway !

Nutter_John
28-10-2007, 12:24 PM
standard UL just brings on a lot higher knock count so it can induce knock at higher boost , where as SUL has a very low knock count

Nick Mann
28-10-2007, 12:47 PM
As John says - the 95 ron could give a knock value high enough to cause the ecu to retard timing. Probably not enough to cause actual damage on a standard car, but enough to lose 20-40 bhp.

Disconnecting the battery for a few minutes will reset all the ECUs, allowing the ECU to start back at a ron setting of 100.

Good luck, and hope you enjoy it!

KHK
28-10-2007, 01:19 PM
i am running mine with standard petrol, what i find is a loss a little bit on power, nothing else

noelweston
28-10-2007, 07:51 PM
Again, thanks all for your input. I'll stick with as near to 100 as I can get for the moment, and go from there. Not sure I want to part with 20-40 horsies just yet, at least until the grin disappears naturally from my face :d

Roll on Friday

N