PDA

View Full Version : Tapping the manifold

Paul C
28-10-2007, 01:38 PM
I'm thinking of instaling a dedicated Vaccuum/pressure output to the map ecu2 from the manfold. i havent decided on size of adapter to use but i am more worried about the location. Is there any areas to avoid or is there any water cooled areas?

Nick Mann
28-10-2007, 01:52 PM
The throttle body has water cooling, but the inlet manifold itself is a relatively simple aluminium casting. No water or anything else - just channels for air flow. I guess adding another output would be best close to the existing ones - faceing backwards from the trailing edge of the manifold, looking towards the bulkhead.

Kieran
28-10-2007, 01:54 PM
Yeah - The only other thing I'd mention is that it's quite a thin walled casting - so be carefull when tapping in. Easiest thing would be to whip it off the car and take a nosey - and once you're done you can wash out any swarf and also degrease the inlet runners.

Gowf
28-10-2007, 06:48 PM
I'm thinking of instaling a dedicated Vaccuum/pressure output to the map ecu2 from the manfold. i havent decided on size of adapter to use but i am more worried about the location. Is there any areas to avoid or is there any water cooled areas?

Why do you need a dedicated output from the manifold? are you having issues with the vac line being taken from a T?

bradc
28-10-2007, 07:25 PM
the throttle body will most like have water warming, not cooling :)

Paul C
28-10-2007, 07:55 PM
Why do you need a dedicated output from the manifold? are you having issues with the vac line being taken from a T?

I have it teed at the moment but just trying to match manufactures spec .I'm not 100% sure if i'm going to do it yet. If i'm going to tune it i just want to do it to the highest quality and if having it Teed is going to causeslight imperfections then i would rather have a dedicated output. But if the difference is neither here nor there then i will leave it.

Gowf
31-10-2007, 06:21 PM
I personaly can not see an issue with it being t'd. the ecu isnt going to change the pressure, so as long as its connected to a stable line, then im sure it'l be fine. If its working fine at the moment, leave it... there's a lot to be said for not fixing things that arnt broken, I've found that out the hard way!