PDA

View Full Version : hi folks, first post

davie
29-10-2007, 04:02 AM
i've been toying with the idea of buying a faster car for about 6 months and have been scouring the market (well i say market i mean i've looked at autotrader a lot)

i had narrowed my search down to a few cars. obviously one of those is the mitsubishi galant vr4 (why else would i be here talking to you.) others have bmw E36 M3 evo and nissan skyline r33 gtr (both of which i have ruled out as i felt decent ones are out of my price range). other options i am toying with are the mitsubishi 3000gt vr4 TT, the toyota supra TT. but i am definately leaning towards a galant vr4.

not intersted in a mitsubishi lancer evo or subaru imprezza, there are too many driving round my town (falkirk) and i don't just want to be 1 of thousands of others driving round in a scoobie or evo. which is another advantage of the galant vr4. i've only passed 2 in the last 4 months that i've noticed since i started thinking about buying one (admittedly one of those is at the end of my street)

performance wise they all pack more than enough punch for davie. i currently drive a 2.0l ford focus and have never drove anything more exciting....(i can hear you all yawning) so 0-60 and quarter mile times don't concern me, as they would all destroy my current vehicle and leave me with a smile on my face.

looks wise the supra and 3000gt are better looking cars (just my opinion) but the galant is nice. plus i'm not too concerned about the looks

now the big question, for me, handling and drivability. how does the galant drive in comparison to other similarly fast cars. it has the AYC and is 4wd. so i'm guessing it corners just a smidgeon faster than my fwd focus. but does it handle very well. as i've never drove anything as powerful before, i want to know my first venture in a performance vehicle isn't going to end with me in a field!!! and how does it compare to the skyline gtr, 3000gt, supra TT etc in terms of handling/cornering especially for a rookie of fast driving like myself??

all help will be much appreciated. more questions will follow!!!

bradc
29-10-2007, 06:10 AM
they handle very similarly to an evo, just with an extra 100kg or so over an evo 4/5/6. They are very quick around corners thanks to the 4wd and AYC system, as I hinted at above, it is probably easiest to compare them to an evo.

davie
29-10-2007, 08:31 AM
cheers again!!!

i've got a mate who has been trying for 6 months to talk me into buying an evo. he and his girlfreind race them at knockhill and swear by them. but as i mentioned in the previous post, i'd like to be a bit different. can't do that in an evo in sunny falkirk, there is thousands of them

ritch_w
29-10-2007, 09:11 AM
good choice of car Davie, the galant VR4 are roughly as quick (as standard EVOs) but more discreet and classier id say too!

pound for perfomance - you'll get a good vr4 for thalf the price of a same year evo - bargain!

just need to make sure you get a good one, 1st recommendation is to buy from someone in the club 1st and then look at importers recommended by people here (not KTC as per you other thread - that could be hit or miss....)

good luck!

ps you may have seen stu1888 at the falkirk cruise - he has a white estate.

Nick Mann
29-10-2007, 10:59 AM
The Supra TT is not a car to drive hard round corners unless you have plenty of space/good conditions/know what you are doing.

I prefer the VR4 to drive than the GTO. It feels more like a car - the GTO feels like a super-heavy sports car. The VR4 has the stealth factor that I love so much!

I can't compare to a 'liner, other than to say that VR4s are a lot cheaper to buy. Not sure if they are any cheaper to run, though! A few on here have had liners and VR4s, so maybe someone else can help on that front.

Rikki
29-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Ahh a Falkirk man! Just thought id say Hi! I occasionally meet stu1888 at the falkirk cruise as Ritch has previously mentioned, I used to be up there all the time.

I dont suppose the VR4 at the end of your street is a black one? last three 'JUB'?? or something like that?

davie
29-10-2007, 07:22 PM
no the one at the end of my street is just the 2.5 v6 non turbo. not the vr4 i can't remember if it's black or purple.

as for the cruise, i've never been.

c'mon now, i drive a bloody old mans car.

Rikki
29-10-2007, 11:17 PM
you would be surprised what people bring to the cruises /pan

unclepete
30-10-2007, 10:34 AM
I'm in Menstrie if you ever want to pop through - I have one and a half auto VR4s and my mate round the corner has a manual VR4.

Give me a shout if you ever need convincing - pete (AT) staffhunt (DOT) org

davie
31-10-2007, 10:24 AM
you have one and a half vr4's. how does half a car drive......probably better than my full ford focus/Grrr

i have a couple mates from your neck of the woods, so i may take you up on that offer mate. i'd like to see how they drive. (mind you, you'll maybe have to do the driving, anytime i'm through at mates in menstrie/alva/alloa i'm not exactly fit to drive:5shots: )