PDA

View Full Version : uk version???

davie
29-10-2007, 04:57 AM
european version??? us version??? or just jap imports???

are all mitsubishi galant vr4s imported from japan??? or are there different eurpoean/uk/usa versions???

I know that with mitsubishi's gto (3000gt), the european/us version 3000gt vr4 is different and more powerful than the japanese gto and is considered the superior model.

The toyota supra mkIV TT has a japanese version RZ and again a more powerful (and some consider it the superior version) the european/usa version GZ.

I believe in both cases this is down to the "gentlemans agreement" in japan that sports cars should be limited to 276 bhp.

is this the case with the galant vr4? is there more than one version (japanese/european/uk/usa)? is there a version considered "superior"?

the other reason i wondered is for insurance purposes. imports are often automatically group 20 insurance. i appreciate even a uk version of a 280bhp car would be a high insurance group. but any savings would be nice!

bradc
29-10-2007, 06:07 AM
they are all made in japan and are all the same spec. All have 280hp apart from prefacelift auto's.

the ones sold new in UK were jdm cars that had a foglight put in the rear bumper and a few other minor things done to them, including conversion to mph.

davie
29-10-2007, 08:28 AM
cheers mate

so they are all the same basically.

Kieran
29-10-2007, 08:31 AM
cheers mate

so they are all the same basically.

Essentially, yes. There are differences between models (Facelift vs Pre-facelift), and there's a variety of different trim combos - Recaros, leather, autos, manuals, etc. etc.

Use the search function and you'll unearth a shedload of info about the cars.:scholar:

Nick Mann
29-10-2007, 11:02 AM
Just to confirm, mechanically the cars all have the same engine/turbos. They were all built for the Japanese market. The facelift cars have a couple of minor advantages (late 1998 on) but the biggest differences between one VR4 and another is often the trim/options.

davie
29-10-2007, 10:20 PM
what's the difference with the face lift models

ANTHONY
29-10-2007, 10:37 PM
front bumper/spoiler, bonnet and interior mostly

Nick Mann
30-10-2007, 05:00 PM
But also hub carriers that accept Evo brakes. So Brembos are an easy upgrade.