PDA

View Full Version : Galant Upgrade - new in forum

bogalant
29-10-2007, 02:18 PM
Hello every one,

Writing from bolivia, south-america!!!!. Heres my story...h.Had a great experience with my 96 galant vr-v6 (7th generation of galants), great car!!! loved the v6 engine, very very reliable, but lacked a little power, made a few trips 400kms each, in winding roads and the car sticked to the pave like flypaper, had Michelins mounted btw. Then I had to sell the car in order to but a newer vehicle for wife...but now, I have the chance of getting a 98 VR4 S-type for about USD$8k with 70k kms on it, certanly this car comes from Asia, since the official Mitsubishi importer for Bolivia never brought a car like this, so my concern is that most likely, the car will be transformed, from right to left steering.....very common down here, also Chile and Peru do this, hopefuly the car is manual transmission, don't realy like automatics, but if it has InvecsII maybe I'll give it a try.....so, heres my first concern....how long does Invecs II take to make a gear change? compared to a manual drive...I did drive a MOntero with automatic and tiptronic, but every time I did a change in the gears it took some 2 to 3 seconds to engage the gear, so when a downshift was required, the lag time was absolutly desperating, specially when trying to pass a large truck or so.

Finally, just want to say that I'm very glad to find a formun like this and hope to contribute a little to it.

Nick Mann
29-10-2007, 02:31 PM
The auto is not as quick at changing as a manual when driving in Tiptronic. But if you are capable of thinking a few seconds in front then it is not a problem. If you just want to accelerate then the auto reacts quicker than most manuals most of the time. If you want to accelerate from rest then the auto does it very well and very reliably in any conditions.

Good luck with it - let us know how you get on!

bogalant
29-10-2007, 03:05 PM
Thanks NickMann, btw, I want a more sport oriented car, so I'd like a manual transmision but in my understanding, the S-type only comes with InvecsII, no manual at all....is this correct?, and how can I identify if a car is a V or S type from just looking at it?

bradc
29-10-2007, 06:41 PM
There were manual versions of both models. I assume the car you are looking at is a facelift? If so it should have a hi-vis dash, AYC, wheel arch flares and wider wheels (if the stock ones are still on it anyway)

The auto is a good gearbox, but they do tend to fail if you don't look after them so well, while the manual is from an evo and is basically bulletproof