PDA

View Full Version : Earthing your stereo - ICE kit...

DickBarton
30-10-2007, 09:00 PM
Hi,

Got myself a Parrot CK3000 Evolution bluetooth hands-free kit...connects via ISO connectors in the stereo (Pioneer DEH5600MP - or something!) and the car wiring...basically you remove the plugs from the back of the stereo and plug them into the Parrot kit.

I spent my lunch hour in the office doing this...got it all wired up, stereo and gauges turn on and work, but the Parrot kit doesn't! I think I may need to earth the device...my car has a full earthing kit, but I'm assuming I need to take the earth cable from the Parrot and attach it to something metallic i.e. the stereo case...the cable is wired into the plug so how do I do a DIY earth kit? Do I get a single piece of cable and plug it into the Mitsu connector plug (which I think doesn't have an earth cable on it) and then tape it to the metal case of the stereo?

Failing that, what ealse could I do? I'm assuming I shouldn't just remove the earth cable from the Parrot kit and tape it to the metal stereo case (or is that the easiest way?)...

Cheers,

Richard.

Nutter_John
30-10-2007, 09:01 PM
use the same earth the headunit is using

DickBarton
30-10-2007, 09:10 PM
I don't think the headunit is using an earth - unless it is wired into the connectors plugged into the back of it...if it isn't, what do I do to make it so and get the Parrot kit also earthed?

Cheers.

CANDEE
30-10-2007, 09:15 PM
Most Headunits are grounded through the chassis(Hence why some dont have ground wires) you can earth the wire to a bolt directly on the chassis.

DickBarton
30-10-2007, 09:21 PM
Ok, that sounds simple enough...does it need to be bolted or can it be taped with metal touching metal?

peter thomson
30-10-2007, 09:29 PM
You'll have to bolt it on .I blew an ecu when the earth came loose and the power was turned on

DickBarton
30-10-2007, 09:30 PM
Ok, thanks for the advice...I'll get a bolt and eyelet connector and do the deed, thanks.

Nick Mann
30-10-2007, 09:54 PM
The metal trim around the stereo is earthed. The stereo itself is earthed through its wiring loom. If you remove the stero and have a look, you will find that some systems are grounded there already, so adding extra wires should be fine. The earths are all made by eyelet connectors bolted to the metal work there.

Sounds like you are on the right track! :thumbsup:

DickBarton
30-10-2007, 10:27 PM
Cool, thanks for the advice folks...the stereo rack can get pulled out, is it just the metal on metal that earths it?

Nick Mann
30-10-2007, 11:12 PM
If your stereo comes out of the dash then the frame is just to hold it in, not to earth it. If your stereo is bolted in behind the dash, then the frame is earthed, whether your stereo is earthed through it or not.

You need to bolt your earth to the framework at the back of the stereo. Make sure that you aren't bolting it to some random frame that isn't earthed!

DickBarton
30-10-2007, 11:48 PM
The stereo screws into a frame that is fitted into the dash...it pushes up and then comes away from the dash...it's metal to metal contact though...I'll see where the Black earth cable from the Mitsu wiring goes and just wire the Parrot earth cable to that as well...

ritch_w
01-11-2007, 11:39 AM
this wont really help but, in the 5 galants / VR4s & FTO Ive had I have had my nokia hands free kit in each one, it was simply the case of fit and go, the ISO plugs already have an earth cable in the loom.

The only issue i have ever had was wiring up with the Ignition on and blowing a fuse stopped the car kit working (Radio was OK) - are there any inline fuses on the parrot?

DickBarton
01-11-2007, 07:19 PM
It's a pain in the behind as I've removed the system again today and found the earth wire attached to the metal frame deep inside the dash console...so if everything else is wired up then it should work!!!