PDA

View Full Version : legnum with 4g93 upgrade options

bradc
26-01-2004, 09:34 AM
Hi, I've got a 1998 Legnum Wagon with the 4G93 1.8 litre engine in it, with the 4 speed tiptronic gearbox.

My biggest concern is that is just doesn't have enough power in the 2000rpm - 3000rpm range, where I do most of my driving.

It already has a 3" exhaust package on it, which extends right through to the extractors. I don't know if it has had any other modifications.

What would be a good way to go about increasing power in that rev range? The other option of course is to find a 6A12 or 6A12 Mivec engine to swap out.

Big Ian
26-01-2004, 11:14 AM
try finding out about getting it chip'd or maybe a boost valve (fuel regulater give's smoth fuel delivery and cut's out flat spot's) might help,even thing's like performance spark plug's and ignition lead's or an induction air filter? or if possable fit a 5 speed manual gear box.also what size of wheel's and tyre's have you got?

bradc
26-01-2004, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the reply - what do you mean by boost valve, this car doesn't have a turbo. Do you mean one of these? http://www.rpw.com.au/Performance%20Upgrades/Generic%20Products/MitsubishiFPR.htm

I quite like the tiptronic box, I'd prefer not to go with a manual box, even if I do drive it in the tiptronic mode 90% of the time.

It's got 215/45/17 tyres on it, with quite nice looking BBS mags :D The other modifications are that it has a VR4 body kit, and it has been lowered drastically.

Lastly, what sort of petrol should I run? I've tried 91, 96 and 98. The two higher octanes seem to give quite a resonable increase in power

Kieran
26-01-2004, 08:19 PM
Mitsubishi designed the GDI engine to be at it's most efficient when run with Japanese 100-octane fuel. That's why in places like the UK, it had to be redesigned to use the lower grades of petrol and ended up being a more compromised unit (we have a 2.4litre 4G93 over here and it's only rated with the same output at the 1.8 JDM version).

Bottom line is - bung some injector cleaner through it, then fill it with a couple of tankfuls of 98-octane. Then Reset the ECU (by disconnecting the battery for about 5 mins) and you should feel a small difference. Then keep running it on 98octane.

Note: When you reset the ECU, you'll experience some odd behaviour from the engine, such as funny idling, and rough shifting from the autobox for a few miles - don't panic!!

Big Ian
27-01-2004, 01:04 AM
[QUOTE=bradc]Thanks for the reply - what do you mean by boost valve, this car doesn't have a turbo. Do you mean one of these? http://www.rpw.com.au/Performance%20Upgrades/Generic%20Products/MitsubishiFPR.htm

yip that's the very one.

bradc
27-01-2004, 06:46 PM
Cool, thanks for that, what about any mechanical modifications? I've got access to quite cheap air filters, how much could that improve performance by?

Lastly, does the 6A12 bolt straight in? Thats another option I guess..

Grinder
04-03-2004, 09:16 PM
I'd be interested to hear about light 'stage 1' type mods for these. My other car has an Apexi air filter and this adds 14bhp, but I don't know if the standard Galant/Legnum air filter is restrictive or not.

Big Ian
04-03-2004, 10:47 PM
i have replaced my standard box for an induction kit look at my car domain page.i would say that it has help give a smoother throttle responce,i don't know about BHP but it does feel a bit quicker..