PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my TD-05 - UP AND RUNNING! NZ's FIRST SINGLE TURBO 8G VR4

mpau009
01-11-2007, 06:35 AM
Its taken two full weeks, but it has finally arrived from wellington - via christchurch apparently:speechles

Also came with an unused external wastegate and fittings, and a pod that got crushed in transit:baby:

Also got my SRD flywheel back today, and this time it actually is lighter than stock/pan , now 6.8kg versus 8.3 stock, which is what i asked for:afro:

So its all go for gearbox reassembly / clutch now, got the turbo checked, and even though its not new, its got no obvious issues, and the 16g wheel is in good nick. I bought a turbo off trade me, and diddnt get scammed - go figure:afro:

Thanks to Gly for pointing me down the td-05 route, this one is a proper mitsi 10.5T, oil and water cooled, ex an evo 6, just as the doctor recommended:pimp2:

Also, check out just how much smaller the td-03 looks in comparison to a stock evo unit... and valmes has two:inquisiti:happy:

bradc
01-11-2007, 07:26 AM
looks good :D Will be interesting to see just how well the TD05 does on a 2.5l V6. I'm going to bet it will spool quickly and should see you to about 250kw ATW

d i c k i e s
01-11-2007, 08:01 AM
wow... thing looks like a monsta compared to stock.

mpau009
01-11-2007, 08:25 AM
wow... thing looks like a monsta compared to stock.

Yeah, but iv only got one... Valmes on the other hand/rally

I dont know if id want to run 250kw worth of boost even if it can though brad, id settle for running without exploding, and then go from there i think:thinking:

Hopefully shorter and larger piping should make a good difference.

Iv still got a few bits to sort out, like a turbo flange, and the exhaust/wastegate piping stuff to source, but iv really got to get that gearbox back together and in first:baby:

But iv got the airbox and manifold flanges drawn up and ready to be cut next week (was a whole lot harder than i thought.. those flanges arent symetric, whyyy?)

Do you know if you still have that second rear manifold kicking around? I havent decided whether it will be easier or not, with the way borgan had to reroute the radiator hose, versus keeping the header lengths the same:thinking: But id be keen to test fit it, and see how it might go.

bradc
01-11-2007, 08:58 AM
Do you want to put that longer 1st and 2nd gear set into it? I've got them sitting right next to me.

I'm popping out to the shed to look for you now! be back in 5min

bradc
01-11-2007, 09:12 AM
nope, couldn't find the rear manifold, I must have given it to Carsten

Gly
01-11-2007, 09:13 AM
looking good mate...
so you gonna have th internal gate welded **** or has it already been done?

let me how when/if you need any help with this project, keen to help you out,

dont forget an extra set of manifold flanges for me :P

nope i dont have the extra exhaust manifold brad,
i had your extra intake plenum/manifold,
which ive passed onto mike to cut up/experiment on, if he wishes

bradc
01-11-2007, 09:17 AM
hmm I wonder who has it then?

mpau009
01-11-2007, 09:52 AM
Iv already cut that manifold Gly, your saw flew through it in 30 seconds flat:afro: . The internal gate has already been welded, since the previous owner was going to go external anyway, which is a plus.

I'm getting the flanges and airbox cut next week, but i have no idea how long it might take this time of year... I might go for just the minimum to start with in case it doesnt come out correct:thinking: Its been a pain so far (took my mate 4 hours to get the airbox close enough), but i'll definately post the dxf's once i know. I have no doubt you'll be getting some sort of S.O.S at somepoint, and anyone who wants to stick their heads in and peer pressure me to finish it would be appreciated:pimp2:

and no worries brad, I might give the stock front manifold a go, since it would make an easier route in terms of moving stuff, but i guess all will be revealed once the engine is sitting right again. Id get that done sooner, but people keep asking me out for fireworks parties and whatnot:P

bradc
01-11-2007, 09:54 AM
on that note, I'm guessing you're not bringing the VR-4?

Bring the RS-4 instead :)

mpau009
01-11-2007, 10:10 AM
on that note, I'm guessing you're not bringing the VR-4?

Bring the RS-4 instead :)

I could bring some of it in a box if youd like:P

Its still only an S4 for the moment, though dad had an S6 to test drive for a bit which is cool, hes one of the anti-turbo types though.

Either way im not allowed to even look at it for too long..

Iv still got mums subbie to drive around in, but i think i'm going to bum a lift off SubaruETA if i can. ...Thats assuming we can fit all those fireworks in his car:thinking: (:thinking: Still havent bought any yet:baby:)

bradc
01-11-2007, 10:15 AM
The S6 is a very nice car, it would be my choice out of the large german cars...until the RS6 comes out that is!

pezza
01-11-2007, 10:58 AM
Good stuff Mike... Do you have a rough estimation of when you would like to get all this work completed?

Should be a new beast once all done... :afro:

mpau009
01-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Good stuff Mike... Do you have a rough estimation of when you would like to get all this work completed?

Should be a new beast once all done... :afro:

slightly longer than a piece of string:thinking:

I had thought it would be easyish to get it done before christmas, but it seems like theres always something slowing me down... I can see why brads took so long now:lipseal

My goal is to have the gearbox assembled and in and good to go, as well as the post intercooler piping / throttle body / intake plenum in the right places and welded, and extended the wiring to it by the end of November, as well as have accumulated the bits needed to do the rest, plus a catch can, and FPR.

I am thinking about finishing up at work, and looking for something using either of my degrees in the new year, so i might have a few weeks before christmas to just do car stuff if they can replace me quickly enough:thinking:

As for the performance, im not sure how much better it will be, supposedly it only flows 10% more than the pair of TD03s, plus i dont want to run crazy high boost on a stock engine. But at least there should be a huge amount of bolt on upgrades once the td05 flange is in there, ..for when i win lotto:afro: /rally

mpau009
12-11-2007, 09:08 AM
Some pics of what iv got done so far

Pulled the gearbox down, expecting to find a damaged bearing, but everything looks perfect, so im guessing the shuddering was due to the ugly looking release bearing, which i changed for the new one.

Just need to track down a replacement flywheel bolt - since iv lost one of mine/pan and it should be good to go back in this weekend :)

Also fitted the intercooler up for good, bent the dip stick out of the way for the throttle body, and relocated the powersteering reservior and cooler in behind the new intercooler. The crash bar is welded up, and just needs a paint before it can go back in.

The flanges are off to be cut in the next week or so, and iv got a FPR and HKS rip-off BOV to play with.

Just need to wait for pay day, and i'll be ordering the braided lines and new hoses needed to connect the bits and pieces iv moved, and for the new turbo lines.

then iv just got to buy some piping and exhaust flanges, and wrangle a mate to help with the alloy welding and we shouldnt be tooooo far off. :thinking: I think

valmes
12-11-2007, 03:00 PM
Nice... :)

Kenneth
12-11-2007, 09:31 PM
Nice one Mike.

If you suspect your gearbox bearings, it might pay to get them done anyway while the gearbox is in bits.

lol, and don't forget your loom... Hopefully ill take it off my car this weekend...

mpau009
12-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Nice one Mike.

If you suspect your gearbox bearings, it might pay to get them done anyway while the gearbox is in bits.

lol, and don't forget your loom... Hopefully ill take it off my car this weekend...

The plan was to do the bearings, but they all look so good that i decided to just leave it, there was no metal, no marks on the gears or bearing races, no sludge nothing in the gearbox at all. Its all sealed back together now anyway, if not Fnfast makes it sound like its easier the second time round:scholar:

I'll get that loom at some point, its not urgent though theres plenty to do before i'll need that:baby:

I just wish i had seen the pics of Valmes throttle body set up before i had cut the TB flange off, his is a much tidier way of doing it, and the funny casting shape means the flange doesnt fit very well around the other side anyway.

mitchy
13-11-2007, 02:02 AM
interesting... you're going the single TD05 route?

if i do a turbo upgrade (dont think it will happen 2 weeks after owning my car.. maybe 2 years!) i'd prefer the big single over twins route, for a few reasons..
1) i think it would be easier
2) it will remove a lot of piping clutter, and
3) the V6 has enough low torque to compensate for not having small twins

if my RB25DET could run a single with enough low torque down low, a V6 will do it easy!

definately something i will follow up on!

Robotnik123
13-11-2007, 02:14 AM
Hi, what do you plan to do once you've completed the car? Will it be a daily driver? Also what about doing something like racing bradc at Meremere to establish the fastest Club VR-4? ;)

bradc
13-11-2007, 06:40 AM
Sounds like fun :)

mpau009
13-11-2007, 06:46 AM
Hi, what do you plan to do once you've completed the car? Will it be a daily driver? Also what about doing something like racing bradc at Meremere to establish the fastest Club VR-4? ;)

Its still going to be my daily car, i dont think it will be much different from brads, unless i go for new injectors, which is something i cant afford/justify right now.

Basically it was just supposed to be clutch and flywheel, intercooler and piping, but i found the turbos were no good, so i figured that rather than invest $X in getting the car back to plain, and given i already had the MAP2, why not throw a few more and get something more fun to play with, and carsten steered me down the single route, which makes sense $wise.

Hopefully with the dual fuel map function, i'll be able to cruise around using less gas than the rest of you:pimp2:

Also theres no way Brad would let me have the fastest VR-4 in the NZ section, so i wont even bother.. ...i'll just lift off when hes around:P until that engine of his is built that is/Handbag:speechles

Honestly i just want it to run and not explode under boost, anything else is a plus:scholar:

bradc
13-11-2007, 07:15 AM
Yeah thats true, the stock injectors are at max on my car, so unless a single TD05 spools faster than two TD03's (possible, we don't really know) then I would win I guess.

mpau009
13-11-2007, 08:29 AM
Yeah thats true, the stock injectors are at max on my car, so unless a single TD05 spools faster than two TD03's (possible, we don't really know) then I would win I guess.

*cough* launch control, *cough* flat shifting *cough cough* lightened flywheel :P

..smaller tyre treads/Grrr

./
.enough of this dreaming anyways/rally , got a heck of a lot to do to get it actually moving first

Robotnik123
13-11-2007, 08:56 AM
Wow, it sounds like your car's could be quite evenly matched! Any race could come down to driver's skill and luck on the day. Anyway, at least compare G-Tech numbers when you're done, the results could be quite interesting.

*cough* launch control, *cough* flat shifting *cough cough* lightened flywheel :P

..smaller tyre treads/Grrr

./
.enough of this dreaming anyways/rally , got a heck of a lot to do to get it actually moving first

bradc
13-11-2007, 08:56 AM
ok, you've got the lightened flywheel, but I've got launch control and flat shifting as well, and I've got lighter wheels too :D

Ohh and remember the facelift advantage counts for at least 0.5 seconds :D

Gly
13-11-2007, 09:01 AM
i might start my single turbo conversion soon too :D

just been offered a evo7 turbo with a 10.5 turbine fitted,
its had a hard life, but its been rebuilt when it was needed... so no damage to any important expensive bits in it.
it will need a rebuild soon again, but just seals/bearings/balance.
only $100 :D + rebuild when i get it done

will check it out tomorrow night?

Subaru ETA
13-11-2007, 10:26 AM
mike, why did you suspect you bearings were gone in the gearbox? because of shudder? or did it have a noise? if it was shuuder that would have just been your flywheel i would have thought

mpau009
13-11-2007, 10:37 AM
mike, why did you suspect you bearings were gone in the gearbox? because of shudder? or did it have a noise? if it was shuuder that would have just been your flywheel i would have thought

Cause i aint no mechanic:P Plus there was a bit of oil coming out between the main gearbox join, at least i can put my mind at rest for now.

Subaru ETA
14-11-2007, 05:55 AM
lol fair enough then :P

Gly
14-11-2007, 09:16 AM
getting mine sorted, at alltech,

needs a td05HL small rebuild kit (just oil seals)
and a balance and shes good to go :)

wnwnwnw
14-11-2007, 11:30 PM
I can't wait to see the result...... Good luck........

Gly
18-11-2007, 08:41 AM
Is It done yet??!!! :D :P

mpau009
18-11-2007, 09:06 AM
Is It done yet??!!! :D :P yyyeaaah naaahh,

I fitted the flywheel and clutch, but didnt get around to fitting the gearbox. Ended up spending today at the zoo... in hamilton:thinking:

Weighed it though, and dry it weighs in at 56ish kgs.

I'll try and get it done this week/pan but im sooo lazy:happy:

bradc
18-11-2007, 09:36 AM
so that explains why I thought it was heavy when I was carrying it!

The auto cars are specced about 40kg heavier, no wonder I couldn't carry one of them.

Oblivion
19-11-2007, 04:27 AM
Looks like the build is going well, keep it up :D Cant wait to see it finshed

Kenneth
19-11-2007, 04:55 AM
Looks good Mike. I have your loom all ready for delivery, just let me know when you would like to have it back :)

Subaru ETA
19-11-2007, 05:41 AM
so i can come around tomorrow and take it for a drive then? :P

mpau009
23-11-2007, 06:19 AM
so i can come around tomorrow and take it for a drive then? :P

No, but you should be able to push it around by sunday:scholar:

Got the gearbox back in, quite a **** job if you are trying to do it by yourself with a cold and a poor temper, but its done now.

Also rerouted the main loom-ie bit behind the clutch line so that it follows the gearbox, and hopefully should be out of the way enough. Still need to bleed the clutch to make sure i havent done something retarded, but then the rest can go back in.

Also got the hoses, clamps and blanking plugs etc i need to finish off the power steering and turbo coolant / oil drain.

Apparently i have to wait until its all mocked up before i bother getting an oil feed line made though.

Gly
23-11-2007, 07:05 AM
good ****!

so when will you need a hand?

mpau009
25-11-2007, 10:13 AM
you should be able to push it around by sunday:scholar:

...yay!

Turns out its really easy to get the bolts in and torqued when theres no turbos or heat shields in the way. Now i can put the radiator back in and make a start on the fun part.

Carsten, i should have all the flanges and airbox, piping etc within the next week and a half, so if you are keen to stop by after then, i'll let you know. Its really just dependent on the guy who can weld alloy.

bradc
25-11-2007, 10:20 AM
Kieran is not going to like the state of your car!

Glad to hear you are this far into the project already.

mpau009
25-11-2007, 07:04 PM
Kieran is not going to like the state of your car!

Glad to hear you are this far into the project already.

:pimp2: Yeah weve got building going on at home at the moment, so they are using the garage as a smoko room and touching / dirtying up all my stuff.. plus when i got in to bleed the clutch and check the selectors, i found it had cobwebs everywhere, and that freshly imported covered up cigarette smell was back:baby:

d i c k i e s
25-11-2007, 10:32 PM
looks good. at least you wont see that pink...

Gly
27-11-2007, 08:20 AM
getting my td05 tomorrow evening.

it was checked over by alltech,
has a little bit of play, but is still in good cond...

the shaft bearings and the turbine oil seal have been replaced.
the balancing was checked and still ok, so wasnt redone.

all tech have said the thrust bearing will need to be done in 20thou km.
but will be fine untill then!

so... $100 for the turbo,
and $90 for a minor rebuild kit.

stoked!!

so now its up to you mike! get cracking! i wanna see how your build goes :D
you can be the guinea pig! haha :D

mpau009
27-11-2007, 10:11 AM
getting my td05 tomorrow evening.

it was checked over by alltech,
has a little bit of play, but is still in good cond...

the shaft bearings and the turbine oil seal have been replaced.
the balancing was checked and still ok, so wasnt redone.

all tech have said the thrust bearing will need to be done in 20thou km.
but will be fine untill then!

so... $100 for the turbo,
and $90 for a minor rebuild kit.

stoked!!

so now its up to you mike! get cracking! i wanna see how your build goes :D
you can be the guinea pig! haha :D

Well, one thing is the turbo will need to be rotated, at the moment with the way i am looking at mounting the exhaust, the compressor side will come out through the bonnet... which would be cool, but yeah..

Its just finding the time to organise anything, this week iv had to go out for something every night, and on friday i go camping (drinking) for the weekend. It just starts to draw out.

Also i found a company that does turbo flanges and that http://www.rage.co.nz/flanges/TURBO-FLANGES-OCT06.pdf

I'm going to get the evo 6 td-05 flange from them, the guy iv been using to draw things is getting cranky since hes done about 7 hours worth for mine and others cars for no $$, plus its only $50ish from those guys.

2000VR-4
07-12-2007, 10:22 AM
interesting... you're going the single TD05 route?

if i do a turbo upgrade (dont think it will happen 2 weeks after owning my car.. maybe 2 years!) i'd prefer the big single over twins route, for a few reasons..
1) i think it would be easier
2) it will remove a lot of piping clutter, and
3) the V6 has enough low torque to compensate for not having small twins

if my RB25DET could run a single with enough low torque down low, a V6 will do it easy!

definately something i will follow up on!

Hey mitchy, my car is still 3 weeks away :( but I want the turbo's, Brembos, T/Timer, boost controller, exhaust and 18's sitting in my shed for when it arrives.
:pimp2:
After driving a few in the last few weeks I dont think I will be happy with a stock one, I like to rev stuff and found stock VR4's really disapointing after 5k rpm.
Cheers,
Jason

Apparently i have to wait until its all mocked up before i bother getting an oil feed line made though.

In these type of mod's (atleast one a week :inquisiti )
we use a rough length braided line, always makes the job a ****e load easier.
Jason

mpau009
07-12-2007, 11:04 PM
Operation "taking four times longer than i thought it would" takes another step forward this week (about an hour at a time these days:thinking:)

But iv got the flanges and airbox template my mate drew up, the flanges are near perfect, and i'll have a go at folding the airbox hopefully tomorrow, then i'll stick the .dxfs in the library for members. It might need a revision or two first though.

Also i plumbed up the powersteering reservoir, and although i could have left it, for the sake of $30odd bucks, it will make for a nicer bend for the intake pipe.

Also painted up the cast manifolds and stuck them back on.

bradc
07-12-2007, 11:15 PM
hey Mike, do you need help this afternoon or tomorrow afternoon?

mpau009
07-12-2007, 11:34 PM
hey Mike, do you need help this afternoon or tomorrow afternoon?

I had pretty much written off the next few weekends in terms of achieveing anything noteworthy, im helping change the oils and filters on a friends levin this arvo, but im having a barbie tonight if you or anyone else are feels like stopping by for a looksey and a feed? But not a lot of progress since the last set of pics really

I still have to talk to one of dads friends about borrowing his metal folder for tomorrow some time, but if i can then thats the plan, and pray it fits like the cardboard one..

Are you going to be out my way a bit this weekend? You should PM me your new cell number since youv finally joined the rest of the technology world :P

bradc
08-12-2007, 01:46 AM
pm sent - I can't come tonight but I'll come tomorrow and see if we can get some work done.

mpau009
20-12-2007, 08:03 AM
Small progress this week, folded up the airbox, and it came out pretty good, the line around the bottom of where the fuse box sits isnt 100% since i decided to blank it out instead of leaving cut outs for the wiring, but its close enough, and the plan is to seal it using sticky backed foam tape like you use to stop drafts on doorframes anyways.

Good news is though, its totally reproducable, although was a *&%$ load harder to fold up than i thought, given its 1.2mm stainless, but the compound bends going slightly past 90 made it a bit tricky. Iv got a spare one if someone else wants to have a go.

Havent test fitted the bonnet again, but it should clear by a mile.:scholar: :thinking:

Also bought the flanges to suit the turbo and some 12mm ally plate for the throttle body flange, so theres nothing bar the pipe work to do now.

Gly
20-12-2007, 09:04 AM
looking good!!

what are you gonna do re piping?? now that you've finished up at work??

how much for the turbo flanges?

which oil feed/water feed holes you using?
and what have you used to block up the spares?

mpau009
20-12-2007, 09:54 AM
looking good!!

what are you gonna do re piping?? now that you've finished up at work??

how much for the turbo flanges?

which oil feed/water feed holes you using?
and what have you used to block up the spares?

Yeah last day tomorrow:thumbsup: Not monday like the rest of the staff..

The flanges were from autobend (www.rage.co.nz)

Pt numbers FL4913 (Turbo inlet flange) and FL5122 (turbo outlet flange)

Cost $99.11 inc courier from christchurch.

you could do it for half that if you could be assed drawing the flanges yourself:thinking:

I still need to get some standard exhaust flanges for redoing that side of things, and making the manifold piping removable etc, so i'll probably get those from them too.

The plan is to track down the piping and cut it up when i get back from new years, then rope my mate in to weld them in place.

Iv already got the blanking plugs for the lines im not using, and i am just going to cut a blank drain plug to use with a gasket to block up the oil drain.

Once the exhaust side of the turbo is located, i'll take it back to alltech to be rotated, to match the intake piping, then i'll give the intercooler piping a bash.

If its still not 99% done when i go away on the 18th then iv done something wrong..:speechles

Gly
20-12-2007, 10:48 AM
rotaing isnt hard to do,

all you have to do is seperate the housings and remove the locking/locating pins,

spin and bolt back together,

if you bring it on sunday we can it when we're done with my car.

mpau009
05-01-2008, 08:08 AM
A little bit of progress since i got back from new years.

Cut and extended the wires for the throttle body and soldered them back together, which was pretty simple considering my poor soldering skills:afro: Also extended the prewarmer lines around to the new position, ended up going the long way round along the firewall, just to make it a bit tidier, and fit nicely so the engine cover can go back on, but it should do the job.

Made a little blanking flange to block the turbo oil drain i wont be needing, and cut some gaskets out of a piece of blank gasket that i got for repco for $10, hopefully it will be up to the heat.

Also re-installed the LH loom and put the guard back on.

d i c k i e s
05-01-2008, 10:24 AM
awesome progress!

mpau009
10-01-2008, 04:38 AM
Did a little more today, filled the gearbox and transfer case using Kenneths handy giant syringe contraption.

Also made some 12mm alloy flanges to mount the throttle body, and block the other unused side (blatant copy of valmes excellent idea:iloveyou:)

Also picked up a load of alloy bends and straights to mock up the intake side of the piping, which was a bargain at $240 from my top secret supply:P

I laid them out so you can have a better idea of the plan now, the main thing i decided to change from borgans setup, is to have the front manifold remain stock, and pipe along in between the radiator hoses, and to have the turbo rotated 180 degrees, so the exhaust side comes in from the passengers side of the car, by the strut tower, to help keep the heat away from the wiring/fuel lines, and to allow the stock td05 exhaust housing to exit alot nicer.

Also i got a piece of pipe welded into the airbox, which distorted it/Grrr, so i'll have to borrow a rubber hammer to straighten it out, but it gives you a better idea of the plan.
I decided to go for a 4-3" reducer, rather than a 4" to the turbo, because the 4 inch wouldnt bend a tight enough radius to make it to the turbo without a lot of messing around.

So tonight i'll cut up the pipe to suit the throttle body side, and take it off to be welded.

Its going to be a couple of weeks before the exhaust side gets touched, since im off for two weeks in a bit, and the mate who is going to help is tied up with other stuff..

bradc
10-01-2008, 05:10 AM
looks good Mike :)

rayray24
10-01-2008, 05:52 AM
Looks like it's coming along nicely, i'm looking forward to seeing this beast finished.

Kenneth
11-01-2008, 12:19 AM
Looking good :pimp2:

hehe, that syringe is bloody brilliant eh? One of the best $20 I have ever spent!

Kieran
11-01-2008, 12:43 AM
Oh wow, it's looking good! Keep up the good work!:happy:

mpau009
11-01-2008, 01:00 AM
Keep up the good work!:happy:

Nag Nag Nag, worse than my parents :P

I got the manifold welded up this morning, and that all fits fine, not 100% where i wanted it, the TB is rocked over a few degrees more than i intended, but hey from going off of some vivid marks it turned out well, so thats all in and plumbed/wired, which is good. I ended up going for 2.5" pipe to the TB flange, rather than the 3" i had planned on, just because it was such a tight fit that i was worried that when the engine moved, it might hit the strut tower a bit.

Also mocked up the pipes form the intercooler to the throttle body, just got to cut a hole for the BOV flange, and that can get welded too, hopefully this afternoon if i get my act together.

And the other good news, the bonnet closes, and i (probably) wont have to cut the bumper to make it fit.

william
11-01-2008, 01:11 AM
Looks awesome, Mike. You are a brave boy!

Kenneth
11-01-2008, 01:29 AM
Looks awesome, Mike. You are a brave boy!

Or a stupid one! ;) /haz

d i c k i e s
11-01-2008, 01:46 AM
coming along well bro.

mpau009
11-01-2008, 01:58 AM
Or a stupid one! ;) /haz

Possibly one and then the other:thinking:

Its nice to actually have something to report, iv almost forgotten what it was like to drive the VR4/pan

bradc
11-01-2008, 02:26 AM
you are getting busy :D nice work

Gly
11-01-2008, 07:30 AM
great stuff,

dont forget the throtal cable mounts. :D

mpau009
11-01-2008, 09:27 AM
great stuff,

dont forget the throtal cable mounts. :D

Got a plan for that one, took the mount, flipped it and bent it slightly, and put it on the now spare cable tie point.

Its only mounted with one bolt, and im weighing up whether to get a little stud welded on, but it seems to be fine as is for the moment, just need to shorten it up a bit at the pedal end.

Also cut the hole and filed the mount for the BOV, ready to be welded next week.

I think thats enough car stuff for a now though..:beerchug:

Gly
11-01-2008, 09:31 AM
sweet,

i would definately get a stud welded on, i wouldnt leave it sitting on one.

Subaru ETA
13-01-2008, 05:38 AM
looking good bro....just dont ask me to do the cambelt!!!! looks like that job has been made a lot more difficult :p

Subaru ETA
24-01-2008, 07:35 AM
so you driving it yet?? :p

mpau009
24-01-2008, 08:25 AM
so you driving it yet?? :p

NO. i was supposed to be out sailing for 10 days until the 28th...

But it was really crap wind and weather for the first 4 days, and we got stuck at Kawau, on the 5th day i went snorkelling and got burnt REAL bad in less than an hour/pan (stupid cronic whiteness) spent a night and a half throwing up with heat stroke, and then i started to blister:undecided Got the ferry back from waiheke last night with no skin on my upper arms and weeping and glowing all over, suckiest thing ever PERIOD. Not gonna do a damm thing for a few days except try not to move.

Also found out my grandad has had a fairly serious stroke or something similar while we were away, but i couldnt even drive to the hospital today:sick: waiting to hear back tonight.

Iv got a mate coming to start mocking up the exhaust piping in that first weekend of february, intake is done bar the throttle cable length, and rerouting some vacuum lines, then fuel pump and wastegate position, and find a 3" joiner to install the MAF temporarily, and it should be good to start bedding the new clutch and give me some time finalise the injector changes before tuning.

Also had an oil line made to suit before i left, just need to figure out which coolant feed to block off, but iv got all the hoses etc, and iv modded the existing oil drain line so its really just a case of getting the mild steel piping stuff done. Iv still got to the turbo rotated before that weekend too, but that should be done early next week.

Oh yeah, iv got to find a job soon too:baby:

Subaru ETA
24-01-2008, 08:30 AM
bumer bout your grand dad dude, hope everythings ok!

yup i understand about the cronic whiteness thing, im engaged to a redhead after all!!!! me on the other hand, sitting at the big day out on friday and not even the slightest bit of burning! but man i look like a maori lol :p

bradc
24-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Doesn't sound like you've had the single best time ever. I'm keen to come around on that first weekend, is it scheduled for saturday, sunday or both?

mpau009
24-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Doesn't sound like you've had the single best time ever. I'm keen to come around on that first weekend, is it scheduled for saturday, sunday or both?

Thanks David, and brad yeah sunburn is wayyyy crap, i kinda really just want to do stuff, but all i can do is sit around/Grrr

Im not sure how much will actually get done that day, i really just want his advice on the best layout, and how to best fit up the wastegate, it'll probably just be a planning/shopping weekend, but youre welcome if you want to come out.

Iv got all the flanges, and have a pretty good idea of how i want it, but i want an experienced eye to check my thinking. Also i'm not sure if a 3" exhaust will be possible/easy from the turbo, i want to figure out the best route. Id like to make a start on sunday, but i'll let you know in a bit. I'm hoping he'll be out for a look in sometime in the next week.

bradc
24-01-2008, 07:21 PM
just pm me with the time then :)

Gly
05-02-2008, 11:10 AM
is it done yet?

mpau009
05-02-2008, 10:12 PM
is it done yet?

Nah, iv ordered all the bends i need, theyll be here friday, but i got bumped down the list for the friend doing the welding, hes got to help a mate finish his roll cage and manifold for some race thing on a LHD lancia integrale:inquisiti , so it'll be three weeks out..

Other than that theres not a lot left for me to do. Iv replaced/rerouted most of the vacuum lines, pulled off the factory ones. Iv still got to get a couple more fittings to tap some extra lines into the LH side of the manifold, but that shouldnt take long. Also replaced the studs in the turbo.

I shortened the throttle cable which was easy, and cost about 40c instead of the 30-40$ to have a new one made.

Today im just taking off the throttle body stuff to clean all of it, and put it back on once and for all. Then just hurry up and wait.

Im hoping those antiroll bars will show up soon so i can do them too:thinking: /Grrr I paid for them ages ago.

Good thing is i'll be able to come along to the workshop day:pimp2:

mpau009
16-02-2008, 06:56 AM
Finally did something, got chris to spend a full day tacking the pipework up, i am pretty happy with how its gone, exactly what i had in mind, and gives you an idea.

Just need the final welding, downpipe, and wastegate bits sorted next saturday, and then its off to an exhaust shop for the downpipe back.

Also check out his stealth carolla:afro: Looks normal right? its been completely rebuilt from the engine to the wheels, and currently pushes 185Kw at the front wheels:thinking: /rally

Subaru ETA
16-02-2008, 08:32 AM
looking good bro

Gly
16-02-2008, 08:49 AM
wow those are some long ass pipes!
looking good thou.

why are you getting an exhaust shop to do the exhaust?
you may aswell DIY, it would be the easiest part of the job your doing??

bradc
16-02-2008, 11:12 AM
sorry I didn't come around today Mike, I'll make it tomorrow if you're home

mpau009
16-02-2008, 12:01 PM
wow those are some long ass pipes!
looking good thou.

why are you getting an exhaust shop to do the exhaust?
you may aswell DIY, it would be the easiest part of the job your doing??

Cause he cant be assed doing exhausts, just the glory jobs lol!:pimp2: But i'll nag some more down the track..

Yeah they are longer than borgans, mainly because of how i wanted the turbo to sit, but i hope it will be fine. Also by keeping the offshoots to the wastgate same bore size as the exhaust it should balance out any differences by having the rear pipe slightly shorter, but hey time will tell all:thinking:

Brad feel free to stop by, at least with the turbo in its final position i can get on with the other side of the alloy piping:afro: Be nice to have something to do.

Paul C
16-02-2008, 02:09 PM
How much do the pipes weigh they look quite a heavy guage?

mpau009
16-02-2008, 10:02 PM
How much do the pipes weigh they look quite a heavy guage?

As you see it, it is just under 10kg. So with the welding done, and a couple of extra bits to link up the wastegate, im guessing it will be close to 12-13kg? So yeah not too light, but not rediculous, and considering the piping and turbos and heat shields etc that have come out, i think it will be lighter all up even when they are coated:thinking:

I was trying to get something with a 3mm wall and 38mm ID(same as the cast manifolds), but this is slightly thicker and 40.? ID. The reason for that is $$, this was a common size so i got all the pipe and bends plus several spares etc for under $100NZD, and with the flanges the whole lot is about $200.

A few people have said to do it in stainless, but value for $$ wise unless your doing a show car i couldnt justify stainless.

phosty
16-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Is the whole manifold rigidly connected to the engine or does that bracket at the turbo inlet flange connect to the body work somewhere? I guess you would want to be careful of thermal growth causing things to move around or you could possibly crack something? As well as the engine moving on it's mounts.

mpau009
16-02-2008, 10:59 PM
Is the whole manifold rigidly connected to the engine or does that bracket at the turbo inlet flange connect to the body work somewhere? I guess you would want to be careful of thermal growth causing things to move around or you could possibly crack something? As well as the engine moving on it's mounts.

Yeah that was the idea behind that, because it is so far from the engine the weight of the turbo needs to be supported, that bracket bolts through the top of that engine/gearbox mount. So it will move with the engine. You can see how it works in the pic without the turbo on, there will be a bolt where that punch is in that pic.

Munta
19-02-2008, 07:26 AM
this is awesome work dude.. would love to see it

mpau009
20-02-2008, 05:09 AM
this is awesome work dude.. would love to see it

Thanks! Hopefully it shouldnt be too far away now, at least running with the MAF that is..

This was supposed to a good news post, since iv finished the turbo to intercooler piping, and got the bits i need to do the 3" downpipe on the weekend. Iv also cut and extended all of the wiring to the fuse box, and cut a hole, so that now it can be sealed in the airbox and keep heat away.

And tapped the fittings i need in the intake manifold and pre TB pipe...

BUT

Iv got a F****N rust problem/Grrr I started poking around at the little chaffed through bit on the side of the strut tower, thinking that i could sand it back, kill the rust, and paint it, but after poking a 2 inch hole, and seeing daylight through the seam to the wheelwell... I'll be calling a rust repair place tomorrow:sad3: as its a bit beyond my limits welding and grinding it smooth.

I hope it doesnt cost too much $$$:thinking:

Gly
20-02-2008, 07:44 AM
looking good! (except the rust)

hopefully it runs aswell as it looks!....
still got my TD05 in a box under my desk.... keep looking at bigger garrett singles! LOL!

dont forget a hole for the mapecu temp sensor. (have you fixed that yet?)

mpau009
20-02-2008, 07:55 AM
looking good! (except the rust)

hopefully it runs aswell as it looks!....
still got my TD05 in a box under my desk.... keep looking at bigger garrett singles! LOL!

dont forget a hole for the mapecu temp sensor. (have you fixed that yet?)

Me too! i dont think it will be anything amazing running .6bar, no EBC and MAF to start with, but hey at least theres a lot of bolt on options like you say.

I had forgotten about the AIT, but ah well i dont need it just yet.. plus it needs to sit out in the airflow so id have to work out something slightly different.

That rust has got me packing myself though, i can imagine it being all the way between those two sheets:speechles I might have to finally get some full time work:P but three days a week for cash has been suiting me so well:afro:

I decided to go with procoating instead of heat wrap.. mainly cause it looks like ****, but the prices make you want a stiff drink:baby:

Subaru ETA
20-02-2008, 10:48 AM
that rust shouldnt be too bad. if it was going through compliance you would be up **** creek. but since its not they should just beable to cut a chunk out and patch it up

mpau009
20-02-2008, 10:57 AM
that rust shouldnt be too bad. if it was going through compliance you would be up **** creek. but since its not they should just beable to cut a chunk out and patch it up

Know anyone who does that sort of thing? Im going to have a ring around in the morning, there are a couple of mobile rust people in the yellowpages.

Its just another hassle, and im guessing its gonna be a pain getting a warrant as it is without getting rust put on the list so it will need to be done fairly soon.

mpau009
21-02-2008, 02:54 AM
:happy: So close i can smell it!

Starting to get really excited, plus for the first time in ages there is absolutely nothing left i need to buy/order:pimp2:

Everything is plumbed and wired, no clamps and not torqued down, but there should be enough clearance to get the 3" pipe from the turbo down the back.

Also if anyone wants to make a 3" decat pipe, iv got heaps and heaps of spare tube.. it was actually cheaper to buy 5.5m from steel and tube, than to get 2m from an exhaust shop:thinking:

One other thing i didnt think of.. when i did the intercooler, i repainted the front crossmembers etc, but did them in grey.. which looks like **** through the mesh of the grille, so that will have to be sorted cause it bugs me..

Also the airbox wont fit with the MAF, but i'll ditch that down the track.

So fingers crossed, i'll only have to pull it apart one last time:happy:

Gly
21-02-2008, 05:37 AM
o for orsome!!

make your own exhaust from the left over pipe!!

you can do it!!

whats the size of the left over doughnut? can i have you old after down pipes!? :P

you gonna get a turbo beanie???

oh and you need to get rid of the TWIN writing on the engine cover

ShadyNZer
21-02-2008, 05:41 AM
fvck me thats mean!!!...totally envious *bows down*

Gly
21-02-2008, 05:45 AM
oh wheres the wastegate going?

mpau009
21-02-2008, 05:51 AM
o for orsome!!

make your own exhaust from the left over pipe!!

you can do it!!

whats the size of the left over doughnut? can i have you old after down pipes!? :P

you gonna get a turbo beanie???

The exhaust aint left over yet/pan That was the plan for this weekend, but it looks like there will only be time to sort out the wastegate, and final weld the turbo pipes.. Plus i'll need 99% of that donut to sort out the downpipe.

You can get the donuts from Etchells Race Partz in tauranga for $90 to your door, which was the cheapest i could find (most want $130ish). Pipe was $56 for 5.5m. There will be at least 2-3m left over, since i only need to do the 3" through to the end of the cat, and join it up with what i had.

I am happy to cut the pipe for the rest of the downpipe on, but my MIG skills really suck (as proved with the crash bar welding..:baby: ), so i'll just mark it, and hopefully hit chris up to TIG it nicely in a week or two when hes not so busy.

Yeah i am on the scrounge for a beanie, plus i think i'll fold a piece of stainless to seperate that main loom, just incase:thinking: plus there are threaded holes on the turbo from the old evo heat shielding.

mpau009
21-02-2008, 05:57 AM
oh wheres the wastegate going?

The exhaust comes out and bends quite tight around the intake manifold and 45's down just above the header pipe, across down and out in similar place to stock.

The wastegate will end up sitting just under and back from the strut brace (pretty much next to where the rust is ATM/Grrr)

Oh yeah, and iv got two sets of stock downpipes in the garage if you want to cannibalise them for flanges or whatnot, both have torn flexi joints tho.

Shady, cheers dude hopefully i'll be able to bring it to the next workshop day whenever it was planned for:thinking:

Subaru ETA
21-02-2008, 06:55 AM
looks mean bro!

ok ill cut you a deal....ill get my old man to fix the rust if you do the same thing to my car :p

i may be able to get my old man to have a look at it for you but prob not till it running...unless you have a MIG up at your place??

bradc
21-02-2008, 07:09 AM
what about the welders I have, I could chuck one in the back of the leggie

mpau009
21-02-2008, 07:41 AM
looks mean bro!

ok ill cut you a deal....ill get my old man to fix the rust if you do the same thing to my car :p

i may be able to get my old man to have a look at it for you but prob not till it running...unless you have a MIG up at your place??

Sounds like a plan. I can borrow a MIG if i need too, plus brads offer:2thumbsup but i just dont want to bodge patching it myself. Iv got a mobile rust guy coming out at 10 tomorrow for a quote, and depending on how badly that turns out i'll let you know:P:5shots:

Also iv started tallying costs.. And i really dont think you want me doing that to yours:inquisiti

dutch driver
21-02-2008, 07:10 PM
yeah dude
horny as hell
great job

mpau009
21-02-2008, 10:17 PM
yeah dude
horny as hell
great job

Thanks!:afro: i hope it doesnt disappoint.. still there is enough clearance in there to get a bigger turbo in if it does:thinking:

I got a quote for $240+gst to fix that rust, including unpicking that seam, killing the rust, patching the hole, primer, and resealing that wheelwell. Plus they will do it in our garage.

Seems pretty good to me considering i cant be assed dealing with it at all:baby:

Subaru ETA
22-02-2008, 05:58 AM
that sounds like a real good price!

Gly
22-02-2008, 06:08 AM
is it done yet??? :P

Kieran
22-02-2008, 10:31 AM
Is it ready yet?! Is it ready Yet?! /Hyper

mpau009
22-02-2008, 08:20 PM
Is it ready yet?! Is it ready Yet?! /Hyper

Yeah i just forgot to mention it/dunce /whip /wall /boxing [/knocks heads together]

Should be mostly tacked today, then welded during next week, then a week or two to be coated for heat. Then i can stick it back together permanently, then iv got a digital thermometer thing to borrow to make sure nothing too important will melt under there.

Gly
25-02-2008, 08:04 AM
common progress should be much faster! you dont even have a full time job!

bradc
25-02-2008, 08:19 AM
lol, you were like this with me too Carsten, I can't wait for you to start doing serious work on your car, mike and myself will be pestering you constantly :)

Gly
25-02-2008, 08:22 AM
lol, yes but i dont have limitless funds like you do,
and i work full time unlike mike! :scholar:

i havent got much to do to my car, downpipes, intake, and a tune....
then maybe ill look into turbos(s)/rally

oh and i can finally pick up my bonnet tomorrow! :afro:

mpau009
25-02-2008, 08:31 AM
common progress should be much faster! you dont even have a full time job!

Nah, was a bit of a mess up. Chris came around started to tack up the wastegate stuff, then we realised that there will be no way to get in there to weld it/pan So he ended up welding most of the pipes first. Since he could only come for a couple of hours (hes getting married soon) we didnt get on to the exhaust, cause he ran out of welding rods.. was supposed to be taking them away to weld final.

So iv just been killing time. I relocated the radiator expansion tank, and fitted the catchcan.

I spent an hour today stealing an idea from -ET- on OZvr4, using the rear washer sprayer with a new switch to run an intercooler sprayer. Also got my roll bars to fit.

...But yeah end of the day my plans got bumped by a week.. and i didnt take any pics of the finished maifolds.:baby:

bradc
25-02-2008, 08:51 AM
I don't have limitless funs at the moment...stupid bmw :(

Kenneth
26-02-2008, 12:11 AM
Got my mates tig welder at home just now if you want to have a go with that.

mpau009
26-02-2008, 01:48 AM
Got my mates tig welder at home just now if you want to have a go with that.

I left the pipes with chris to finish them, so probably wont be getting them back until later this week, so i can't mount the turbo to mock up exhaust or anything, but cheers for the offer.

Subaru ETA
26-02-2008, 05:49 AM
about the intercooler spray you have done. does the mapecu2 have a vtec function? the reason i ask on my mates 180 we got another waser bottle and motor and ran the power for the motor to the piggyback ecu he had and wired it up to the vtec wiring. so then we set it up so we changed the vtec switch over point on his ecu it would spray istead of switch cams........our gfs were away at the time and we had finished all the moding on it so we thought that up :p

mpau009
26-02-2008, 05:55 AM
about the intercooler spray you have done. does the mapecu2 have a vtec function? the reason i ask on my mates 180 we got another waser bottle and motor and ran the power for the motor to the piggyback ecu he had and wired it up to the vtec wiring. so then we set it up so we changed the vtec switch over point on his ecu it would spray istead of switch cams........our gfs were away at the time and we had finished all the moding on it so we thought that up :p

Yeah it does have a 12v RPM switch which would do the same thing. TBH i havent really thought it through, i just thought it was funny, and since i had everything off anyways it took less than 1/2 an hour.

There is an interesting thread on OZVR4, which goes on about how its usually after a period of boost, that the intercooler is going to need cooling rather than at WOT, but anyway, i'll sort that out down the track. For the moment, iv fitted the sway bars, and made some cardboard templates for some stainless heat shields, i'll try and make them up later in the week, but i have to work for a few days..

mpau009
28-02-2008, 09:48 AM
Ooh Ooh Carsten ask me if im done now :P..

I decided to stop being lazy and reroute/repack the main loom bit and fuel lines. I am fairly sure they would have been okay, but hey why cut corners with everything out of the way. Looks tidier IMO too.

And it was a much much crapier job than i had thought:speechles Only had to extend a couple of wires though so everything should still work fine:thinking:

...and yes still no exhaust pipe/pan

Gly
02-03-2008, 11:47 AM
is it done yet??

just a quick Q about the oil feed/drain....
you've got the feed up top, and the drain at the bottom?? like it was standard.

appears that this is fairly important for these turbos! (been reading a bit)

also found http://www.gtpumps.com.au/ they sell replacement/upgrade parts for these turbos, 18g/20 comp wheels, and td06 housing upgrades :P

mpau009
02-03-2008, 08:21 PM
is it done yet??

just a quick Q about the oil feed/drain....
you've got the feed up top, and the drain at the bottom?? like it was standard.

appears that this is fairly important for these turbos! (been reading a bit)

also found http://www.gtpumps.com.au/ they sell replacement/upgrade parts for these turbos, 18g/20 comp wheels, and td06 housing upgrades :P

Yeah the oil drain was the main reason aside from looks that it ended up getting top mounted the way it did, by having it higher it gives the oil a better chance to vacate the turbo instead of coming straight out and into the gearbox, that and the cast exhaust housing configuration. The idea was/is to keep the oil drain as straight as possible, so gravity can take away the used oil before it creates any pressure and busts something. Unfortunately i ended up having to put a 45 brass bend in just after the exit on the turbo, to route it away from the wastegate piping, one of which tucks under the whole setup. The bits are off the car again so i cant show you with a pic just yet..

As for the progress, i was too busy to take any pics on saturday, but the wastegate flanges are done (had to cut one off and rotate it/pan) and after much swearing the 3" downtube is done to the point of exiting straight down under the car where the stock downpipe did, with a flange in next to the alternator area. The rust doctor guy is coming tomorrow to cut that rust out, and i should be picking the final pipes up middle of this week.

Then i just need to tow it down to an exhaust shop to get them to do the flexi, 02 sensor bung, and decat part, but iv got a decent deal on that through the friend doing the welding.

Once i get the pipes coated, would you be keen to come give a hand making sure iv put all the wiring back in the right places on the fusebox etc, and seeing if it will run? Then iv got to sort the fuel pump and FPR at some point, but i should just see if its going to get pinged on a cert at WOF time first...

Also the FPR is going to have to be rail mounted, since the exhaust would be a huge hassle to route lines around, so iv got to have a good think about that this week too.

Gly
02-03-2008, 09:41 PM
yep im keen to help.. how ever the weekend of the 15/16th im on a fishing trip up north (still to be confirmed) any other time should be sweet thou

fpr rail mount was a PITA on mine, should be easier on yours coz you have less hose/wiring in that area now.

Kenneth
02-03-2008, 09:51 PM
Once i get the pipes coated, would you be keen to come give a hand making sure iv put all the wiring back in the right places on the fusebox etc, and seeing if it will run? Then iv got to sort the fuel pump and FPR at some point, but i should just see if its going to get pinged on a cert at WOF time first...

Also the FPR is going to have to be rail mounted, since the exhaust would be a huge hassle to route lines around, so iv got to have a good think about that this week too.

I will come give you a had if I don't otherwise have plans (one of the next few weekends is taken up, but I don't know which)

technically you shouldn't get pinged for cert should you? its just a exhaust modification :P

mpau009
02-03-2008, 11:22 PM
I will come give you a had if I don't otherwise have plans (one of the next few weekends is taken up, but I don't know which)

technically you shouldn't get pinged for cert should you? its just a exhaust modification :P

Thanks Ken, i'll probably take you up on that at some point, still not totally sure of the timeframe myself yet.

Iv read the LVVTA thing a dozen times, and i cant see anything that iv done that would visibly need a cert, if anything to start with it will be a decrease in power, plus i do have one for the suspension, but if it gets failed i couldnt afford to re-cert it right at the moment..

Subaru ETA
03-03-2008, 04:37 AM
you would only need a cert if you have increased the power output by a certain %. they may hit you up though on the intercooler if you have modified the front for it...

you live near my work, just bring it to us for a wof :p

mpau009
03-03-2008, 04:50 AM
you would only need a cert if you have increased the power output by a certain %. they may hit you up though on the intercooler if you have modified the front for it...

you live near my work, just bring it to us for a wof :p

Too true:afro: forgot you do WOF's. I mean i did cut that nudge bar, but honestly its so puney it wasnt going to do squat anyway, the steel we put back is literally 3 times thicker, and hidden by the skin.

I dont see it being a problem, i just want to see it done before i go spending other money i dont have:)

mpau009
09-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Got it back tonight, final welded and it still fits!

I had a go at smoothing out the intake runners during the week, dont know if it will make any difference, but it gave me something to do:P

So the exhaust is done to the sticky-outy under the car stage, but the rest will have to wait a week or two for $$ reasons this time:baby: Cant afford the flexi.. But, I'll have the decat/3" flanges on tuesday so hopefully can sort that out during the week.

Also iv stuck in a few pics of the downpipe, and how tight a fit the 3" was.. It will probably need a heat shield to stop it cooking the alternator wiring, but i just couldnt bring myself to use 2.5" pipe.

Kenneth
09-03-2008, 09:31 AM
Looks good :)

I have a flexi that you can use and replace for me if you want. It is 3" and 220mm long. I wont be needing it for a while :)

mpau009
09-03-2008, 09:39 AM
Looks good :)

I have a flexi that you can use and replace for me if you want. It is 3" and 220mm long. I wont be needing it for a while :)

Thanks for the offer:2thumbsup , ..hopefully i'll be getting paid for the last few weeks work, and it wont be an issue, but if it drags on much longer, i might pop around for a look:happy:

bradc
09-03-2008, 09:59 AM
I hope you're going to heat wrap your very long down pipe!

Gly
09-03-2008, 10:24 AM
lookin good.... ive got a 3" flexi you can use if you wanna do it sooner aswell.

there $70 on trademe..

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Exhaust/auction-144808053.htm

so when you gonna prime the turbo and start it?

Turbo_Steve
09-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Looking really sweet! My only concern is the amount of oil pressure that turbo will see when see when the engine is cold, but apart from that, wow!
And dead easy to convert up to a bigger TD05 (or TD06) later, should you decide you want to damage your gearbox:)

Is it worth tee-ing a cheap oil pressure gauge into the turbo oil feed?

Very interested to see what this goes like! Have built 2.5 Imprezas equipped with TD05-16s and frankly it ate them alive: we ended up converting to 20G on both very soon after. I can see this managing a very quick spooling 1.4Bar that doesn't tail off at higher RPMs.

mpau009
09-03-2008, 09:16 PM
Looking really sweet! My only concern is the amount of oil pressure that turbo will see when see when the engine is cold, but apart from that, wow!
And dead easy to convert up to a bigger TD05 (or TD06) later, should you decide you want to damage your gearbox:)

Is it worth tee-ing a cheap oil pressure gauge into the turbo oil feed?

Very interested to see what this goes like! Have built 2.5 Imprezas equipped with TD05-16s and frankly it ate them alive: we ended up converting to 20G on both very soon after. I can see this managing a very quick spooling 1.4Bar that doesn't tail off at higher RPMs.

Thanks Steve, the oil pressure was something that concerned me since the evo turbo had a bigger fitting than the stock VR4 ones, but i had a decent chat with the guys who made the braided line for me, about whether to join both oil feeds, or just run with one, and aparently this td05 has a restrictor in the housing that means it should always have good pressure on hand, even though the fitting on one end is a bit smaller.
The other thing is, the new line is actually shorter than the old hard line, which went from the middle of the valley, round the block to the td03:speechles. But yeah i'll definately be taking it carefully until everything seems okay..

Its great to have an idea of what it might do, id be stoked with anything close to that, but somehow i dont think 15+kgs of manifolds and "very quick spooling" will get along too well:P
And down the track once the bank account recovers, id definately like to look at the 20g:pimp2:

mpau009
09-03-2008, 09:22 PM
lookin good.... ive got a 3" flexi you can use if you wanna do it sooner aswell.

there $70 on trademe..

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Exhaust/auction-144808053.htm

so when you gonna prime the turbo and start it?

Thanks carsten, the main problem was i already told chris i wouldn't need him to weld anything for a bit other than those decats, so i think iv bumped myself down the queue for at least next weekend, and then its easter, but i'll have a chat today.

And Brad, the plan is still to heat coat that first section, and maybe heat wrap the second:thinking: Hopefully i can get a firm quote for the HPC stuff this week now that i can actually show them, and depending on how rediculous it is, maybe heat wrap will be okay after all:inquisiti :thinking:

mpau009
12-03-2008, 04:51 AM
Okay, so iv decided to upgrade the spark plugs for this. The ones that were in there seem to be pretty stock looking.

Does someone want to recommend me a good replacement set bearing in mind the increased boost. From looking around it seems like everyone goes for Iridiums, which is fine, but id rather not play around regapping plugs if there is something out there which is either better or already gapped for higher boost.

Also two of the rear plugs had some crud around where the seal is.. i know its pretty minor, but is that an indication of future issues with the rear head? Or are they probably just older?

Ideas as to where to get them would be great. Im more concerned with getting the best for what i'll be doing, rather than saving a few $$...

Subaru ETA
12-03-2008, 06:47 AM
i cant really see (i had metal scrapped from my eye today so vision aint my strong point at the mo!) but are you talking about the brown crap at the bottom of the porcelain or just abouve the washer? either way they just look old and thats normal.

they dont look like any oil is leaking in there..??

d i c k i e s
12-03-2008, 07:14 AM
what sorta gap you after?

Gly
12-03-2008, 07:43 AM
i can get the iridiums cheap for you. but you'll have to regap them,
they come standard at 1.2 mm... but you should run .6 to .8

its not hard to change i can do it for you??

im running the 7 heat range instead of the the factory 6
so is ken

d i c k i e s
12-03-2008, 07:53 AM
theres a few of us in welli running 7s aswell.
the ones i got were gapped to 0.9 i think it was straight out of the box.

mpau009
12-03-2008, 09:52 AM
Cheers for the feedback!

Carsten, with the whole regapping thing, how accurate is it? Is it a common thing to do or can you buy plugs specifically gapped to suit application? Does it affect their lifespan..

Either way if you are confident to do mine that would be sweet. If you want to PM me the price etc that would be great.

David, it looks like there is litterally a drops worth of cooked oil right where the thread stops, but not bad. I was just wondering why the back ones would all have that burnt look but not the fronts?

MarkSanne
12-03-2008, 10:25 AM
I've read here (http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/pages/technical/spark_plugs_faq.htm#regap) that regapping Iridium plugs is not (often) necessary as "they are able to utilise a larger gap setting while actually requiring less voltage and straining the ignition system less. "

Subaru ETA
12-03-2008, 10:45 AM
prob coz it gets quite hot back there. hence why its usually the rear rocker cover gasket that leaks, and not the front.

gapping plug isnt goint to effect them life span wise. all you are doing is just shortening the gap the spark has to jump

mpau009
12-03-2008, 10:04 PM
I've read here (http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/pages/technical/spark_plugs_faq.htm#regap) that regapping Iridium plugs is not (often) necessary as "they are able to utilise a larger gap setting while actually requiring less voltage and straining the ignition system less. "

Brain hurting/pan Thanks for the read though.

So i gather:

1) Colder plugs are good, because my house is at sea level, and i want to avoid pre-detonation on ****y New Zealand octane, and the increased boost..

2) I should try the plugs and only if it starts to miss regap them?:thinking:

Orrr, do you regap them and not worry about it? Im guessing the biggest possible reliable spark will be best for igniting the mixture?

Any other links would be great since i really dont get this stuff, beyond the 'they are called spark plugs, and they are plugs that provide a spark:scholar:' level..

Turbo_Steve
12-03-2008, 10:48 PM
I think you might be pleasantly surprised how quickly a 2.5litre lump will spin up a little TD05. The 2.0 Scoobs do okay with horribly long manifolds :) As the 16g is small for a 2.5, you're effectively moving it down the rev range (up the turbos efficieny curve). Suck it and see, I guess, but as you're remapping as well, I hope you'll get a pleasant surprise.

As for the oil pressure, my concern wasn't so much the oil line as how high that core is mounted in the engine bay: not sure what the legnum is like, but there must be a reasonable pressure drop lifting the oil up to that height.
That being said, I suspect it will only really be a problem when the oil is cold. Just something to be careful of, I guess, though at least your turbo is easy to change :D

Can't believe how much you've done....serious achievement.

Oblivion
13-03-2008, 12:19 AM
Hey just wondering how you went with fitting the front sway bar? I've got my rear one fitted up sweet but it looks like a whole lotta stuff has to come out to get the front one in! grrr

mpau009
13-03-2008, 12:35 AM
Hey just wondering how you went with fitting the front sway bar? I've got my rear one fitted up sweet but it looks like a whole lotta stuff has to come out to get the front one in! grrr

Its not too bad, i had to undo the bottom arm protection plates, and drop the bottom end of the arms down. The most sucky part was you have to drop out the front section of the driveshaft to get the bars in and out.
Which i thought i could do quickly... but what i didnt think about was i have the car jacked up at a very steep angle, and 90% of what was in the transfer case decided to come out the back and onto my face... It was brand new oil too, luckily i still had enough left over to top it back up. But yeah id use it as a good excuse to change it, or at least drain it first or something/pan

You'll also have to loosen the skidplate/crossmember thing, and take the back two bolts out.

As long as youv got a decent power bar to lean on its okay.

Oh yeah, and spray the swaybar link nuts with something, mine were a **** to get undone, they had crap on the threads so i had to wind them in and out like 10 times and wirebrush it to get them off/Grrr

Oblivion
13-03-2008, 08:42 AM
Ok thanks, looks like too much of a mission for me to do tho :( Oh well it will go in just a bit later than planned. Lookin forward to seeing how your car runs when its done! :D:D

mpau009
20-03-2008, 06:10 AM
Finally got the exhaust sorted, complete with decat in case i need to switch back at some point.

Had to put the flexi in the spot where the O2 sensor usually sits, to try and save ripping it open AGAIN (been through 3 in 2 years) Also having the wideband means theres heaps of spare wire to reach the new spot further foward.

Pics arent the best since they are with my cell phone, but its all hung, welded up and good to go now.

Hopefully i'll be able to do a test fire over the easter break :)

Subaru ETA
20-03-2008, 06:20 AM
looking good bro....when can i come for a ride? :D

mpau009
20-03-2008, 06:27 AM
looking good bro....when can i come for a ride? :D

Still quite a bit to do, plus bedding the clutch, fuel upgrades, boost control, airbox number2 etc, but i'll be keen to see that it still goes, plus theres guaranteed to be something iv ****ed up somewhere or that melt/leaks/breaks

But i'll bring it round as soon as its to an 'acceptable' level

Im still kinda tempted to try for a WOF while its in the bare metal though:P

Kenneth
20-03-2008, 09:38 PM
If you are firing it up this long weekend, give me a yell... I will be out one day (still unsure which at this point) but am free the rest. :)

mpau009
20-03-2008, 10:03 PM
If you are firing it up this long weekend, give me a yell... I will be out one day (still unsure which at this point) but am free the rest. :)

Yeah, depends how motivated i get. But hopefully it will be do able on monday. Iv still got your cell so i'll let you know:)

mpau009
21-03-2008, 05:54 AM
Guess What?

Ken, i couldnt wait/pan

IT RUNS:)

my little movie came out really **** i had the camera set on its poorest quality, but i cant be assed doing another one right now.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JxKetPFcnhU"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JxKetPFcnhU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

//edit: WTF, it keeps putting up another VR4 trackday vid whenever i use the video tags, and the embed object link it gives me?? someone with more brains want to sort it out.. please:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxKetPFcnhU

Battery was flat, it has a minor coolant leak by the turbo, and it smoked in the engine bay for the first 10 minutes, but it runs, and it moves.

Only one semi-major stuff up, obviously my getting rid of the carbon cannister plan was a screw up, because after a minute the petrol cap starts to buzz because of pressure or vaccum, but unscrew it and it runs like a dream:P

I'll sort that out when it all gets pulled apart again.

Other than that, im stoked, and real tired, but the clutch seems to work just fine, which was my biggest worry.

bradc
21-03-2008, 07:19 AM
YAAYYY :)

I'll come around sometime tomorrow, what time will you be up and awake?

Gly
21-03-2008, 07:59 AM
****en brilliant work mike!!

when you gonna take it for a drive to see how it really goes??

sadly i sold my tdo5 to fund my diff repairs, see how yours goes and ill see what i decide to do.

rayray24
21-03-2008, 08:03 AM
Wicked, well done

Watched the clip and you have done a great job mike

It will be good to hear about what it's like compeared to a twin turbo.

Kieran
21-03-2008, 08:28 AM
IT'S ALIVE!!!:afro: :afro:

Bet you're chuffed to bits! The video sounded pretty good as well for a first start - the exhaust note sounded pretty even. Good work!!

Just one thing - I notice that the exhaust side of the turbo isn't wrapped (or it doesn't look to be), I guess that's one of those niggly little jobs still to do?

Subaru ETA
21-03-2008, 10:15 AM
good stuff mate. it starts and didnt blow up... bonus!!!

nah good work man top job

mpau009
21-03-2008, 11:56 AM
IT'S ALIVE!!!:afro: :afro:

Bet you're chuffed to bits! The video sounded pretty good as well for a first start - the exhaust note sounded pretty even. Good work!!

Just one thing - I notice that the exhaust side of the turbo isn't wrapped (or it doesn't look to be), I guess that's one of those niggly little jobs still to do?

Yeah the whole exhaust is bare rusty metal with no gaskets, so i'll be pulling it to bits again, and sending it to be HPC coated to try and keep the heat in the pipes.. But theres a heap of heat in there:thinking:

That and it stalls when you do up the petrol cap :P, so i guess i need to relocate that carbon cannister in there somewhere

But at least i know everything fits and does what its supposed to:happy: was pretty pleased it started so easy after sitting so long.

mpau009
21-03-2008, 11:58 AM
YAAYYY :)

I'll come around sometime tomorrow, what time will you be up and awake?

I should safely be up by 10:P

flick me a text when you leave and i'll make double sure im home this time.../pan

Iv still got to check the powersteering works and doesnt leak etc, plus tidy up a small coolant leak by the turbo, but it should be good for a careful drive around the block with the new clutch:afro:

Munta
21-03-2008, 07:02 PM
i am very keen to come have a look as well at same time if possible - sounds awesome - great work.

mpau009
21-03-2008, 08:30 PM
i am very keen to come have a look as well at same time if possible - sounds awesome - great work.

Yeah, anyone who wants to have a nosey is welcome. It still looks a bit ****y with the bare metal etc, but i'll PM you my details.:afro:

bradc
21-03-2008, 09:07 PM
I'll pm you if I'm coming

VR4DVL
21-03-2008, 11:19 PM
That is 1 damn awsum project

bradc
21-03-2008, 11:25 PM
ok Mike, I'll leave as soon as you see this post :)

mpau009
22-03-2008, 12:17 AM
ok Mike, I'll leave as soon as you see this post :)

?Okay, but im not online all the time.. sometimes im in the garage/pan

But the powersteering works, and iv taken it for a drive round the block a few times.

Do the cell phone thing like normal people :P

bradc
22-03-2008, 12:21 AM
cell phones suck :)

on my way in 5 minutes

Turbo_Steve
22-03-2008, 01:30 AM
The carbon canister: did you leave the vent pipe unblocked? If not this will be you pressure build up. Or did you just connect the pipes together? If so, you will need a non-return valve fitting (canister probably has this built in) as if it's straight to the inlet manifold, you're pushing boost into the tank :)

If in doubt, just vent the pipe to the air for now (away from anything hot or electrical!)

mpau009
22-03-2008, 03:05 AM
The carbon canister: did you leave the vent pipe unblocked? If not this will be you pressure build up. Or did you just connect the pipes together? If so, you will need a non-return valve fitting (canister probably has this built in) as if it's straight to the inlet manifold, you're pushing boost into the tank :)

If in doubt, just vent the pipe to the air for now (away from anything hot or electrical!)

Yeah, basically i just unplugged it, left the non return valve in, joined them together and plugged it to the same point on the intake manifold..

Today i unplugged and took brad for a ride, it didnt feel stally any more, but there was a high pitched whistle/whine, which only went when we undid the gas cap.

I think i'll just put the cannister back in somewhere, it shouldnt be to hard to do, just kind of a bizarre thing to see/hear:P

bradc
22-03-2008, 04:09 AM
we only noticed it when the car had come to a stop, it sounded like something was leaking somewhere under pressure, but it must have been sucking the air in as the pressure went down. Really strange.

mpau009
22-03-2008, 06:08 AM
Problem solved, stuck the can in temporarily, jammed in next to the air filter:baby:

The reason it was having gas tank pressure issues is because the can has a sneaky open vent around the back at the bottom.

I was looking for a hose that fed it back to the intake or something, but it doesnt appear to have one?

So the vapour in the tank comes out into the tank as they please, and when the engine is under vaccum, it sucks air in through the little hole, and into the intake manifold, but the return check stops it pressurising under boost.

This is the weird bit, i assumed that having an open port to unmetered air would cause idle issues etc for the engine, same as a boost leak, but it doesnt:speechles

I turned it on, and it idled at about 2000 for a bit, then settled down, and is back to normal.

Can anyone confirm there is not a missing hose or something from the bottom of the can that i should plumb in somewhere? i am fairly sure there wasnt, but it just seems really odd:thinking:

d i c k i e s
22-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Fricken Awesome Bro!
The whole thing is mean so far... Cant wait to see it all done.

mpau009
27-03-2008, 07:55 AM
so you dont think iv gotten lazy since i started my job this week.

The blackening has begun..

I havent taken the pipes in yet, because i want to go there and actually talk to the people, so hopefully i'll get that done this weekend sometime around the Import Allstars:afro:

In the mean time, we are back in bits, and iv painted up some of the parts that were looking shabby with high temp black, and balcked out the front, so that it doesnt show through the grilles.

Also got to sort out some more gaskets etc

mpau009
30-03-2008, 10:04 AM
Yay! solved my stupid frustrating carbon canister thing :)

Turns out it just happens to fit perfectly on the bolt for the ABS bracket, and one that used to have the loom on it.

Clears all the important bits by a few mm :P and is far enough away not to melt or be seen easily:afro:

Also BIG thanks to carsten for coming around to fit my Walbro pump at battery voltage today/notworthy

So yes, more boring crap updates, but soon...

Gly
31-03-2008, 06:08 AM
so is it done yet??

called HPC yet??!! common we wanna se this thing road legal this year!!

mpau009
31-03-2008, 06:51 AM
so is it done yet??

called HPC yet??!! common we wanna se this thing road legal this year!!

Nah i pretty much just go out to the garage and look at it for a bit, then i go to bed:baby:

Going to see HPC saturday morning since they are open 9-12, then if the quote is horrendous i'll need to reconsider.

This week i need to track down gaskets, sparkplugs and some random bolts and things, to give me something to do this weekend, plus have a look for the fittings for FPR so i can buy them on saturday.

Tonight i am going to delete the 'twin' part from the engine cover, and repaint it (part of my say no to red campaign:P). I wasnt going to bother, but i put a crack in it with the crane when i was doing the clutch, so i might as well do that at the same time..

Subaru ETA
31-03-2008, 07:39 AM
do you need exhaust gaskets? try als mufflers just down the roadd from my old work

mpau009
31-03-2008, 07:55 AM
do you need exhaust gaskets? try als mufflers just down the roadd from my old work

Cheers, but personally im not going back there. Initially tried to get pipework/bends through them. Told me three days, two weeks later i told them to shove it, guy was a d!ck. They pretty much just retail for others anyways, if you want tube/bends, just go to Steel & Tube direct, 30-40% cheaper..

I have a couple of options, woolf mufflers always have everything like that, but they charge a bit much:baby: Theyre mostly common flange sizes so it should be okay, just need to find the evo turbo exhaust inlet flange gasket, but that must be around somewhere.

Cheers for the lead tho:afro:

Kenneth
31-03-2008, 07:59 AM
should have done everything V-Band. Gaskets just suck

Gly
31-03-2008, 09:01 AM
BNT have a good catalouge of gaskits, and not to expensive,
usually there the next morning if they get something in.

Subaru ETA
01-04-2008, 06:39 AM
hmm interesting you say that mike, they are always on to it when i got to deal with them for work stuff... o well

mpau009
05-04-2008, 06:40 AM
My latest mod, the hover legnum:P Guaranteed to reduce your fuel consumption:afro:

Dropped my pipework off at HPC today:5shots:

Decided to redo my undercoating since its kind of shabby, and ,y car did come with snow tyres on it...

OMFG what a stupid idea that was.. has taken me and mate 3 hours lying in a puddle with degreaser, scrubbing brush and water blaster.

I was planning to paint it today, but cant be assed anymore:baby:

Also had a better look at my muffler, and it will probably have to go to get a warrant, since its been dragged a few too many times in the last couple fo years, and you can see the packing through the crushed section. But that can wait.

Iv also found a supplier for NGK BKR 7EIX sparkplugs and most other electronic type gear, i hopefully will have a new set in about a week, for a realy good price, plus hes keen to offer a 10% discount to members if we want, i'll pass the email along if it all pans out.

Gly
05-04-2008, 07:34 AM
you manage to find the gaskets you needed??

mpau009
05-04-2008, 08:18 AM
you manage to find the gaskets you needed??

..no/Grrr

Got the three inch exhaust ones, the 40mm are a standard size, but were out of stock. Alltech are going to get me the Td-05 exhaust inlet one, and as for the stock manifold ones??? Maybe mitsi.. i had a go at making them (three times/pan), but you really need a set of good punches etc to make them tidy enough.

I might ring up and get price on monday, and if its too bad i'll get an engineer to cut me some.

Still a hundred times cheaper than using v-bands tho kenneth :P

Kenneth
05-04-2008, 08:46 AM
Still a hundred times cheaper than using v-bands tho kenneth :P

Probably going to be using 4 v-band joins in the 3" section of my exhaust. Cost me $108 all up :) (flanges + clamps)

so far we have put a v-band flange on the downpipe collector and made a v-band decat pipe.

I still have something like 50 v-band flanges... lol

mpau009
05-04-2008, 09:15 AM
Probably going to be using 4 v-band joins in the 3" section of my exhaust. Cost me $108 all up :) (flanges + clamps)

so far we have put a v-band flange on the downpipe collector and made a v-band decat pipe.

I still have something like 50 v-band flanges... lol

Yeah you did real well making them so cheap:pimp2:

Mine were about $9 something each for the exhaust flanges, used 7 for the 3" stuff (kept the 3" muffler section), so thats $70, plus $20 for gaskets, plus 6 stainless bolts which i got a good discount on, so its pretty even really, but mine are only mild steel..

On the plus side though, i have a 3" exhaust system and decat that will bolt up to any legnum down the track, should anything 'bad' happen:thinking:

Subaru ETA
05-04-2008, 11:00 AM
mike - stop using the computer and finish the damn car :p

Turbo_Steve
05-04-2008, 04:52 PM
re: the carbon canister: make sure the drain hole is at the bottom, or the whole thing may gradually fill up with fuel. Only seen this the once, (canister was lower than the top of the fuel tank, a little back pressure and foooop....canister full of fuel that couldn't drain by gravity as the drain hole was on top) so probably unlike on a sensible setup like yours, but just be aware :)

mpau009
05-04-2008, 08:52 PM
re: the carbon canister: make sure the drain hole is at the bottom, or the whole thing may gradually fill up with fuel. Only seen this the once, (canister was lower than the top of the fuel tank, a little back pressure and foooop....canister full of fuel that couldn't drain by gravity as the drain hole was on top) so probably unlike on a sensible setup like yours, but just be aware :)

I did not know this:thinking:

Luckily the cannister obviously gets used on several models, and has three mounting slots, i'll go 180 it so the drain is down. Thanks:scholar:

David: It'll be at least a week until the pipes come back, so iv got some time to play with.. prepping the underneath is no joke the crappest thing i have ever done. I'll finish it off today.. promise :P

mpau009
06-04-2008, 02:31 AM
Yay for daylight savings! Iv been awake since like 6.30 :P

gave up on trying to spray the undercoating, and ended up buying some brush on stuff.. Such nasty awful crap, has the consistancy of cookie dough, but smells like paint thinners.

Not exactly show quality underneath, but hopefully it wont rust to death as quickly, since i went out of my way to do all the seams and tops of the strut tower arches where i had that rust problem earlier.

There were also some worrying scrape marks on the LH side of the gas tank... so i'll have to keep an eye on that:inquisiti

And yes i got some in my hair:baby: (and face, eyes, arms, and somehow the back of my legs:thinking:)

I'll hang the exhaust after it has had a chance to cure a bit more, then im just about out of jobs until the pipes come back and i can final assemble/bounce

d i c k i e s
07-04-2008, 01:57 AM
lookin good bro.
come on and finish it.

Gly
07-04-2008, 06:51 AM
how much was the under seal?? wanna do mine?? :P

mpau009
07-04-2008, 06:59 AM
how much was the under seal?? wanna do mine?? :P

I think it was like 20 - 22 bucks a can. I got CRC Mineral Brush on Underbody Seal. Ended up using almost 2 litres (2 cans). Also you need some chuck away paint brushes and turps to thin it out, as it thickens up pretty quick in the can.

And no way in hell am i ever doing that again. I had a price from the guy who fixed my rust for $600 to do it, and it would be worth every cent.

It took two of us 3 hours to prep it (already had the exhaust off), not counting taking the wheels/plastic guards off etc. Thought the waterblaster would be good enough, but its not. Heaps of Simple Green degreaser, and an assortment of scrubbing brushes, and lying on your back in a puddle:baby:

And putting the **** on isnt much more fun, it stinks really bad, and its like trying to paint with really sticky cookie dough.. I should have figured something was up when the insturctions said 'apply a 3mm thick coating'... i thought how many times will i have to do it get that... open the can... oh/Grrr

Took from 9 till almost 1 to paint it by myself.

Worth doing though:thinking: I think.

bradc
07-04-2008, 08:37 AM
fortunately my VR-4 has no rust at all on it :)

mpau009
07-04-2008, 09:22 AM
fortunately my VR-4 has no rust at all on it :)

Thats all right, i'll sell you my setup when my chassis rusts to bits.. its still got some minor showing through on the firewall seam. I reckon parking your car outside, and living next to the sea cant help:inquisiti

Anyways, iv stuck in my shiftlight, and re attached my boost gauge now, so a little more tidying up with the MAP wiring and Bluetooth thing the installer basically just hacked and taped into my wiring/Grrr and i'll be good to go.

The final price for the HPC treatment is about $790 something from the manifold extensions through to the section with the exhaust flexi on it.. So yeah really really not cheap. like 3 or 4 times the cost of exhaust wrap, but 10 times less ugly. Plus iv got a job now:P

Will get the pipes back in a week and half, but im off to hamilton for the V8's, so you'll have to stay put until the weekend after that/rally

Subaru ETA
19-04-2008, 12:10 AM
i take it you havent been posting on this because you have been busy working on the car....so can i come over for a ride on it now mike? :p

bradc
19-04-2008, 12:49 AM
Nope it isn't :)

The manifolds have been HPC'd though, and he is waiting for a TD03 gasket coming out from the stock manifold

mpau009
20-04-2008, 09:26 AM
i take it you havent been posting on this because you have been busy working on the car....so can i come over for a ride on it now mike? :p

Yeah im still pissing around. nead to head out to manurewa at some point this week to get my pipework. Was hoping to get it friday on the way to the V8's but it didnt happen.

That and i cant find another TD03 gasket without getting them from japan.

Im aiming to have a WOF by the end of ANZAC weekend, this thing is taking waaay to long now.

bradc
20-04-2008, 09:49 AM
You dork, I can pick them up for you any day and drop them off to you :)

mpau009
20-04-2008, 07:12 PM
You dork, I can pick them up for you any day and drop them off to you :)

Thanks brad, i have had a similar offer too, but im the sort of guy who likes to see these things first hand before turning my wallet upside down:thinking: . Plus i really need to head out to STA for a couple of FPR fittings at the same time. Iv got pretty flexible hours at my new job, so it *shouldnt* be a hassle. I'll definately give you a yell if i get stuck though:afro:

mpau009
23-04-2008, 03:55 AM
finally have every last little thing to finish

Luckily for me i got food poisoning yesterday from a KFC work shout lunch.. had 1 drumstick and spent 9 hours last night throwing up:afro: So i grabbed a bucket this afternoon and drove out to manurewa/Fever Not the best idea, but HPC are closed this weekend.

They might charge a fortune, but you cant argue with the finish, and the warranty. Got the last FPR fittings etc, and the stuff i need to make the gaskets properly too.

Hopefully i can get it all sorted this weekend, but not today, i need a lay down:baby:

d i c k i e s
23-04-2008, 04:19 AM
Whoa!!! dats nice...

Someone give him a hand... i want to see it all going!
Looks awesome as per usual mike!

Gly
23-04-2008, 07:10 AM
get it together you slacker!

bradc
23-04-2008, 08:20 AM
that does look very good indeed, have you got all the gaskets now?

mpau009
23-04-2008, 08:35 AM
that does look very good indeed, have you got all the gaskets now?

Nah, iv got a sheet of gasket material and a set of hollow punches...

It shouldnt be too hard, and it beats waiting 3 weeks for td03 gaskets from japan at silly money prices, they might not last as long as factory pressed metal ones, but i think it will be fine.

Carsten i promise i'll bring it to brads for the 3rd, ..assuming that fuel pump you put in does its job:P

d i c k i e s
24-04-2008, 03:57 AM
oooohhh... sounds promising.

Gly
24-04-2008, 05:47 AM
less talking, more working!!

mpau009
26-04-2008, 07:42 AM
Done. :thinking: Well got a WOF anyways:P

Broke down 1km from the testing station:afro: Blew a joiner off, luckily for me carsten carrys a set of tools and fixed it, and has the burn marks to prove it:scholar:

Still got a handful of niggly problems, in particular i am getting intermittent ABS error light on the dash, probably a result of over-vigourous cleaning and undercoating.. ,and it seems like i might have a sticky stepper motor, causing an occasional surging idle.

leebutts
26-04-2008, 07:45 AM
Hoorah!! Well done Mike!

Have you planted your foot yet? How does it feel compared to the stock twin turbos?

cheers

Lee

mpau009
26-04-2008, 07:49 AM
Hoorah!! Well done Mike!

Have you planted your foot yet? How does it feel compared to the stock twin turbos?

cheers

Lee

Yeah, and it went wizzz BANG! :baby: then we spent 30 minutes putting the piping back on :P

Its certainly different, but starts to pull pretty close to 3k if youre in the right gear.

I have to have a look at the wastegate, since theres no vacuum or boost lines on it at the moment, and i dont want to overboost or anything.

Just going to do 4-500ks of traffic work to let the clutch and bits settle down.

psbarham
26-04-2008, 07:55 AM
good work, very impressive, the engine bay acctually looks a lot more stock than i was expecting.
here have a little green dot :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

bradc
26-04-2008, 07:58 AM
awesome

bradc
26-04-2008, 07:59 AM
btw, noticed the engine cover modification, single turbo indeed :)

Gly
26-04-2008, 08:09 AM
i have to say its very impressive for a DIY job!...
looks very professional....

no major faults/problems, just a few things need tweaking/sorting.

its a completely different sounding and driving machine... it went quite well until the hose popped off...

i would have expected the pipes would have been alot cooler then they were especially with what hpc claims.... it does look bloody good thou!

my hand (burns) got worse and alot more angry looking on the way home LOL!...
nothing alot of cold water hasn't sorted out, that and that was already a burn scared hand, no big deal!

ill bring a spare stepper to the workshop day, and we can try it out if you havent sorted yours by then?

bradc
26-04-2008, 08:25 AM
maybe the dull black coating lets a lot less heat go into the engine bay compared to normal uncoated piping?

Subaru ETA
26-04-2008, 08:53 AM
wow....well done mike! looks good! look forward to gooing for a cruise in it

Fred
26-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Very well done mate, very profesional looking job there...if you don't mind me asking what was the total build price,...???

Subaru ETA
26-04-2008, 09:53 AM
yeah i would be quite interested in seeing how much your car cost to do vs a profesional quote

Paul C
26-04-2008, 10:55 AM
The whole job looks great, will this be the fastest vr4 in NZ? Looking forward to seeing rolling figures

hi flyer
26-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Very impressive!! Great job!

Wodjno
26-04-2008, 12:28 PM
Looks great.. Very Nice Neat and Tidy Job... :thumbs

Look forward to seeing the RR figures /yes

I saw you blew a hose off ! Are your pipes flanged ? Or just normal ?

Robotnik123
26-04-2008, 02:02 PM
The whole job looks great, will this be the fastest vr4 in NZ? Looking forward to seeing rolling figures

There must be faster VR-4s in NZ I am sure, our cars are so common, but the car looks like it could be one of the fastest owned by regular posters from NZ in these forums. Bradc would be his main rival. Clearly the two of them need to head to the track and duel each other, to establish who is the NZ CVR4 champion! :)

william
26-04-2008, 07:01 PM
That looks great Mike. I would love to have a closer look and hopefully a ride!

wnwnwnw
26-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Great Job man....Can't wait to know its 1/4 mile time.

Turbo_Steve
27-04-2008, 02:14 AM
I would be extremely surprised if a TD05-16G made more than 360bhp.
I think Brad's is doing rather more than that.

However the benefit of this conversion is that changing turbos is a few hours work, rather than an engine out job. So changing for a TD05-20G...or even a TD06 / TD07 hybrid. And then we're well into engine destruction technology :D

Gly
27-04-2008, 02:39 AM
a td05 16g can support a max of around 260kw at the wheels on a 2l 4g63 (4wd evo),
with supporting mods, ecu with a good tune and fueling etc,

i would expect similar figures to brads (225kw atw) as the the limiting factor on our cars is fueling and the turbos (and ecu)......
but with a different power delivery

Had an E4 in at work today with the plates HUSLIN - not sure if he's on this forum but he's happy for me to share

It went goooood

Like, 259.1 kW, 430nM at the wheels good

On 19psi, and on 98 pump gas. Stock E4 turbo, Autronic P+P ECU, big injectors (720's) and fuelling (SX pump etc), stock evo 4 cams, big intercooler, stainless mani + 38mm tial, 3" exhaust, stock downpipe, stock 100,000km old block... No bull.

Respect

Will put up a copy of the dyno sheet once it's scanned, was on a dynapack hub dyno.

http://www.mmc.org.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52448&highlight=record+td05

mikes turbo is a evo 6 item with a bigger hot side, so will have less bottom end and a bit more at the top.

mpau009
27-04-2008, 05:05 AM
Thanks guys! its nice to be able to drive it again, even if i am being fairly careful. Took it up to red beach last night and back today with no problems, other than a warm paint/wet cardboard smell:P

TBH im not super fussed about power for now, more concerned with some dripping coolant lines etc, and i doubt it will be anywhere close to some of the Td04 conversions out there powerwise, but its good for what i want.

I'll have to sort out getting some lips on the pipework if its going to blow of at .7bar, but hopefully that was just everything settling down.

I'll do traffic duties for the next week, and try and sort out some of the little hassles.

bradc
27-04-2008, 07:23 AM
As long as you're enjoying it :) Hope to see it next weekend :)

d i c k i e s
27-04-2008, 07:58 AM
O For Awesome!!!

KiwiTT
27-04-2008, 08:17 AM
Are you bring it to the workshop day ... be good to see it then ?

BTW: Excellent work.

bradc
27-04-2008, 08:19 AM
he'd better do :)

mpau009
27-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Are you bring it to the workshop day ... be good to see it then ?

BTW: Excellent work.

Yeah im planning on showing up:afro:

I might even wash it for the first time this year:P

bradc
27-04-2008, 08:49 AM
It's ok, Kieran isn't coming

elnevio
27-04-2008, 08:55 AM
Wait.

I think I hear the sound of the KieranCorp 'Catching Cleaning Criminals Campaign' jet firing up, afterburners ready!

Robotnik123
27-04-2008, 09:20 AM
I wonder how your fuel consumption will be now. If you drove it like a nana, so that the bigger turbo did not spool, I think you could get fuel consumption better than a non-turbo 25 STR legnum and probably a lot better than a stock twin turbo VR-4.

bradc
27-04-2008, 09:33 AM
can't see why it would be better than an ST-R, but possibly better than a normal VR-4

Robotnik123
27-04-2008, 11:38 AM
can't see why it would be better than an ST-R, but possibly better than a normal VR-4

Well doesn't the turbo motor run at lower compression than the NA motor? If he runs it off boost, couldn't it be better than the ST-R?

Turbo_Steve
27-04-2008, 07:53 PM
Apologies, didn't realise this was an EVO TME turbo....in that case, yes 260kW seems realistic, and comparable to brads :P) Don't know why, but thought this was an Evo III turbo.

bradc
27-04-2008, 08:22 PM
perhaps, but the difference would be so small you'd never notice it. I think he'll still get around 10-12l/100km just like a normal VR-4

CANDEE
27-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Nice work there mike :P

Gly
29-04-2008, 07:42 AM
hows it been running?

mpau009
29-04-2008, 07:57 AM
hows it been running?
Like ****...

Done 220ks on $105 of 98.. not counting whatever i spilt:P

And those brass fittings are still ever so slightly leaking, still have ABS problems if i turn or accelerate hard, and the idle thing. But all pretty minor really. I think i know what that raspy noise is too, its probably the internal wastegate plate not quite welded shut properly, by the previous owner. Which makes sense with when/where you could hear it. Im planning to get chris to cut it out and weld a blank plate in there to make sure it cannot leak at all.

Also had what felt like a slight miss/hesitation today at 6500 onwards at .6 bar:speechles , so im not going to do anything until i have logged some proper data.

Its still a damm sight more fun and comfortable than the ute tho,even if it costs 3x as much to run:thinking: plus people dont just cut me off anymore:pimp2:

And i think that beat up muffler is getting worse, it really is starting to sound like a motorbike at higher revs. I might go have a look at one of those HKS tail sections like William has on the weekend, assuming my insurance quote isnt too terrifying:baby:

Gly
29-04-2008, 08:06 AM
lol a car with worse gas millage than mine...

have you kept an eye on fuel pressure??

mpau009
29-04-2008, 08:32 AM
lol a car with worse gas millage than mine...

have you kept an eye on fuel pressure??

Not since sunday, but it seems okay. I did set it a few PSI high for peace of mind.

d i c k i e s
29-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Done 220ks on $105 of 98.. not counting whatever i spilt:P

whoa dats alot!

mpau009
29-04-2008, 08:49 AM
whoa dats alot!

Thats what i thought when i was paying for it/Grrr

I thought my fuel gauge might have been messed up, but no/pan

bradc
29-04-2008, 09:15 AM
Even when I was racing at Pukekohe my car wasn't that bad. Still you've done a lot of idling and had quite a bit of petrol pour out on the ground. Wait for the next tank :)

d i c k i e s
30-04-2008, 12:10 AM
Thats what i thought when i was paying for it/Grrr

I thought my fuel gauge might have been messed up, but no/pan

Id could fill my leggie from empty to about $85-$88.
thats when the petrol was 1.98c. (BP Ultimate) havent filled with the new petrol prices.

Munta
30-04-2008, 12:30 AM
car looks awesome!!!! whats the final cost figure around?

mpau009
30-04-2008, 12:50 AM
car looks awesome!!!! whats the final cost figure around?

Thanks!

As far as costs go, im still working that out, but more than i budgeted :P

Im doing a proper spreadsheet for everything on the car, to take for insurance quotes, so i'll keep you posted. I wouldnt want to pay someone to do it per hour though, thats for sure.

Subaru ETA
30-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Id could fill my leggie from empty to about $85-$88.
thats when the petrol was 1.98c. (BP Ultimate) havent filled with the new petrol prices.

$85 - 88?? thats not empty! i put $99 of 95 in mine last week!!! that was like 53L

J-Mo-15
30-04-2008, 10:25 AM
$85 - 88?? thats not empty! i put $99 of 95 in mine last week!!! that was like 53L

Yea ill second that haha, I filled up and it was 1.88 for 95 and it cost $97. Insanity... mite have to drive the batmobile more often

Gly
30-04-2008, 10:31 AM
i filled up today almost 55L @ $111 BP98

bradc
30-04-2008, 10:33 AM
55L, how did you manage that? Was it coughing?

Kenneth
30-04-2008, 10:50 AM
I walked to work. cost me $0

Gly
30-04-2008, 11:04 AM
nope, ive put 56L in it befor and it wasnt coughing then either.

d i c k i e s
30-04-2008, 11:25 AM

either my fuel gauge is stuffed or somethings up with the fuel?
cos i usually fill when empty orange light appears and stop on first click when putting in petrol.

Subaru ETA
01-05-2008, 07:26 AM
ive had 57L (well 56.7 something) not coughing but the fuel light had been on for a while!!

Subaru ETA
04-05-2008, 02:39 AM
you sort it out this weekend mike?

mpau009
04-05-2008, 03:34 AM
you sort it out this weekend mike?

Nah.. spent three hours cleaning up the garage today though. It needs the ends of the intercooler pipework flared. Its blown off three times now without any boost solenoid, and less than .6 bar, and it is the most annoying non-serious problem ever, cause it always happens at the most ****y times..

Iv got it all in the back of the ute to take to an engineers sometime, but it kind of hard now that im back working longer hours.

That and the fittings i wanted to get braised didnt end up happenening, so hopefully next weekend. Its still pretty good, but i think having two subs is killing my battery, since its getting harder and harder to start:thinking:

That and i think the change in exhaust has finished off my beat up old muffler, it sounds like a small cc motorbike from 4k up :P

Gly
04-05-2008, 03:48 AM
if you can courier the fittings to me ill do it,

ill do it with silver solder

Kenneth
04-05-2008, 04:12 AM
Another option is I send you to my step-father. he will work up to 6pm (sometimes later, depending what is on TV... lol) and will let you pick stuff up later in the evening.

I don't think he has a bead rolling tool, but may be willing to make one (which would actually come in handy)

Of course he wont do it for free, but he does charge reasonable prices and brazing should be fairly quick.

I would be keen on either getting the bead rolling tool made myself, or going part shares with others. I know I will need some rolled soon enough anyway.

If you are interested, let me know and I can give him a ring.

Gly
04-05-2008, 05:22 AM
a big weld bead is fine, and probably cheapest,
i doubt you will find anyone with a specific beading/lipping tool for such big pipes,
a pipe flaring tool, bit I'm not sure that is suitable.

also a handy tip for helping joiners stay is...
hair spray, it makes it easy to slide the joiners on, and it helps them stick/stay in place one its dry.

Gly
11-05-2008, 03:46 AM
is it all done now??!!

Kenneth
11-05-2008, 05:06 AM
Had a bit of a chat to my step dad about making a bead roller.

He is going to have a look around the workshop to see what bits and pieces he has (namely a couple of gears are going to be needed) and then see what it will cost to get one made up

mpau009
11-05-2008, 05:08 AM
is it all done now??!!

All sorted for the alloy pipework and brass fittings.

I havent put it back together yet though, i have a problem with that turbo..

The previous owner welded the internal gate shut, but they have left a tiny bit of play in it/Grrr Thats what is causing that raspy/rattly noise, and i guess losing a bit of power too..

Unfortunately there isnt really an easy fix, since its hard to weld to the dirty cast steel, and the gate itself is ceramic.. The plan at the moment is to use some manifold gasket/sealant, and see if i can stop it making that noise. Doesnt really affect the car since its sealed by the blank part of the exhaust flange, but it sounds crappy.:baby:

mpau009
11-05-2008, 05:10 AM
Had a bit of a chat to my step dad about making a bead roller.

He is going to have a look around the workshop to see what bits and pieces he has (namely a couple of gears are going to be needed) and then see what it will cost to get one made up

Thanks Ken, that would be a handy thing to have. In the end i got a mate to weld a bead around them, and got a couple of heavy duty t-bolt clamps for the trouble spots. Hopefully it does the job this time..

Kenneth
11-05-2008, 05:14 AM
Unfortunately there isnt really an easy fix, since its hard to weld to the dirty cast steel, and the gate itself is ceramic.. The plan at the moment is to use some manifold gasket/sealant, and see if i can stop it making that noise. Doesnt really affect the car since its sealed by the blank part of the exhaust flange, but it sounds crappy.:baby:

can you get a bung made that you can fasten in place by bolt? think along the lines of having a washer either side of the wastegate hole and a bolt through them which holds it in place.

Kenneth
11-05-2008, 05:15 AM
Thanks Ken, that would be a handy thing to have. In the end i got a mate to weld a bead around them, and got a couple of heavy duty t-bolt clamps for the trouble spots. Hopefully it does the job this time..

No worries, ill have to have some beads rolled eventually also, as might other members.

Gly
11-05-2008, 05:34 AM
cant you cut off the gate flapper, and weld a steal disk over it,
i know cast is **** to weld, but not impossible

mpau009
11-05-2008, 05:36 AM
cant you cut off the gate flapper, and weld a steal disc over it,
i know cast is **** to weld, but not impossible

Yeah, but Chris told me he cant do it.. it would have to be really well ground back

It looks like the ceramic might have metal back though, so we might be able to put a tack on it there. Im going to go have a look now, just means i wont be taking the car to work on monday, other than that things are on track.

Gly
11-05-2008, 05:40 AM
ah ok bugger...

is the wastegate plumbing done now aswell?

mpau009
11-05-2008, 06:49 AM
ah ok bugger...

is the wastegate plumbing done now aswell?

Sorted, just put some pressure on it, and welded the ceramic thing to the gate arm, it has a metal back on it under some brown coating thingy. Took all of 5 minutes.

And yeah, did the wastegate plumbing, still not using the solenoid though, i'll sort that out during the week, once i get the laptop out to see whats what. (assuming the pipework stays in place this time:thinking: )

Gly
12-05-2008, 08:07 AM
all sorted??

mpau009
12-05-2008, 08:58 AM
all sorted??

Doin it now, just got to wash my hands and put the coolant back in. It made refitting the pipework/joiners a collosal ****, but i cant see it having issues any more:scholar:

d i c k i e s
12-05-2008, 09:03 AM
wohooo!

Gly
12-05-2008, 09:38 AM
done now?? :P

mpau009
12-05-2008, 10:17 AM
done now?? :P

..no i f@@ked up/pan

I replaced the hose to the overflow from the radiator with new stuff, it was tight..., i wiggled & twisted it.... i broke the bl00dy plastic hose tail off... I swore ALOT.

Might as well air my shame publicly:iloveyou:

It does run just fine, but my superglue attempt at a repairing the radiator thing popped off:P

Gonna have a re-think...

In the ute on the way to work tomorrow/pan

d i c k i e s
12-05-2008, 10:44 AM
at least u dont have a crack...

Gly
12-05-2008, 08:12 PM
epoxy glue or dill and tap a brass fitting

bradc
12-05-2008, 08:22 PM
I couldn't think of any advice last night, but I do agree with Carsten, a brass tap screwed into the side of the radiator would be about the best you can do.

mpau009
12-05-2008, 09:23 PM
I couldn't think of any advice last night, but I do agree with Carsten, a brass tap screwed into the side of the radiator would be about the best you can do.

Yeah thanks guys, that is plan A. Iv got left over brass fittings. Just such a big pain for such a stupid tiny problem, plus i really wanted to drive it..

and I cant believe the whole top of that radiator is one piece of ***tty plastic...

Gly
14-05-2008, 07:45 AM
fixed yet?

Subaru ETA
17-05-2008, 01:00 AM
sorted?

d i c k i e s
17-05-2008, 01:37 AM
lol... are you there yet?

Gly
17-05-2008, 01:52 AM
are you trying to break brads record??

Subaru ETA
17-05-2008, 01:57 AM
i dont really think that is possable......is it?

mpau009
17-05-2008, 03:05 AM
Iv taken it to work for a few days, Drove it last night, runs below 10AFR (the lowest the MAP2 can display at WOT, .6 bar, so absolutely no danger. Dispatched my mates Levin BZR with ease..

Im getting about 14l / 100km at the moment too :/

Then it started leaking coolant again/Grrr Such a ****in pain.

Iv re-epoxyied it this morning, but i might look around for 2nd hand radiator, cant be bothered anymore. And its way too hard to tap a fitting in there.

Other than that it runs pretty good, sounds terrible with the muffler - like a motorbike, but no rattles or other coolant leaks anymore

Subaru ETA
17-05-2008, 07:33 AM
maybe cheaper to take it to a radiator shop and see what they can do??

Gly
17-05-2008, 09:11 PM
new top tank or...

a new one....

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Mitsubishi/Engines-drive-trains/auction-155688317.htm

or a 2nd hand one...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Mitsubishi/Engines-drive-trains/auction-155260141.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Mitsubishi/Engines-drive-trains/auction-154973707.htm

d i c k i e s
18-05-2008, 05:55 AM
the first second hand one is from a gdi, just so you know.

Gly
18-05-2008, 07:52 AM
im pretty sure there all the same?

d i c k i e s
18-05-2008, 08:21 AM
yeah theyre the same... just for your info.
may not be able to handle mikes new power? i dont know...

BuzzPuppy
26-05-2008, 02:21 AM
And now just to iron out all the kinks :) Nice work mate!

Subaru ETA
26-05-2008, 07:08 AM
went for a ride in it in the weekend and wow!!! not that much lag and still pulling right up through the redline!!! good work mate

djb160
26-05-2008, 08:40 AM
So does it feel similar to a stock twin, boosted twin or something else altogether?

mpau009
26-05-2008, 09:11 AM
So does it feel similar to a stock twin, boosted twin or something else altogether?

Its pretty good considering im only running less than 9 pounds at the moment. Basically its like a vr4 with intercooler, piping, 3" exhaust, and some fuel mods, similar to kenneths old one, except the power band is back to front, the softer bit is from 3-4, and the push you back in you chair bit is from then on.

Hopefully it will be good when i get my boost control hooked up, and some better fuel ratios, but that will be a little way off. I need to save some money, and spend some on other things for a while:P

Theres a dyno down the road from work, so i might put it on there first, just for a looksee

Paul C
27-05-2008, 04:19 AM
Have you had the map ecu 2 tuned or are you on a basic map at moment?

Gly
27-05-2008, 07:15 AM
factory ecu

mpau009
27-05-2008, 08:23 AM
Weird, i replied to this at work?

Yeah, running MAF at the moment, need to sort out some things first, i want to get my cold airbox sorted, tidy up some other things on the car, change to Map, and stick it on the dyno for a baseline.

Hopefully there will be some decent gains to be had, im running .6bar, and AFR of 10 at WOT.

But i'll just take it bit by bit.

bradc
27-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Saw your car at your work today, we do stuff for Davis Cutter Grinding at the bottom of the driveway :)

mpau009
27-05-2008, 07:04 PM
Saw your car at your work today, we do stuff for Davis Cutter Grinding at the bottom of the driveway :)

Stalker! You must rack up some serious k's getting around the place.

Its a pretty handy area to work in, mitsi partsworld, 4wd dyno, and most other shops all the same road, on my way home from work:afro:

bradc
27-05-2008, 08:14 PM
Did 250km yesterday. And yeah you're right, there are lots of good places around there to get stuff from.

mpau009
05-06-2008, 07:16 AM
New problem today.

Car has been running pretty good for the last few weeks, still on minimum boost. I was going to stick it on the dyno saturday morning, but i struck a problem..

The car has felt a bit down on power over the last week, and today i put my foot down coming out of work, and you could barely hear the BOV...

Then on the motorway onramp in traffic it started.

Boom!, Bang, MOTHER ******* ka BLAM I back fired and popped all the way home at barely idling speeds, and not the usual pop pop, but gun shot style:baby: Needless to say i was getting some funny looks:scholar:

I assumed i had done something terribly bad to the engine, since it sounded rough, but when i had a look just before, guess what i found..

mpau009
05-06-2008, 07:18 AM
..The manifold extensions have decided to undo themselves, and the stainless bolts at the back are gone/pan

Subaru ETA
05-06-2008, 07:29 AM
should have taken your man pills and done them up tighter then! :p

mpau009
05-06-2008, 07:32 AM
should have taken your man pills and done them up tighter then! :p

I did...:speechles

I guess the stainless was no good for that much heat without expanding too much.. Just gotta decide if its worth trying it with more locktight, or a different higher tensile bolt?

PS check out how quickly the high temp paint died.. the HPC coating and the cast manifolds were the same colour at the start:thinking:

bernmc
05-06-2008, 08:06 AM
I have a similar problem, but with my turbo elbows - bit of exhaust that bolts directly to the turbo outlet. One of the bolts on the rear turbo is inaccessible without removing the turbo... and you have to remove the front turbo to get at the back... 6 hours work! The others are in such a tight spot that after a good 15 minutes of struggling to get a ratchet spanner on them, you can tighten 1 ratchet click at a time :(. Takes me a good 30 minutes per nut!

How about putting another nut on each - so you have a lock nut? Do you have enough thread? Otherwise maybe a higher strength locktight?

Gly
05-06-2008, 08:17 AM
get mild steel ones, they will expand less,

use a spring washer, locktite is a waste of time at these temps, so are lock nuts,

mpau009
05-06-2008, 08:31 AM
I have a similar problem, but with my turbo elbows - bit of exhaust that bolts directly to the turbo outlet. One of the bolts on the rear turbo is inaccessible without removing the turbo... and you have to remove the front turbo to get at the back... 6 hours work! The others are in such a tight spot that after a good 15 minutes of struggling to get a ratchet spanner on them, you can tighten 1 ratchet click at a time :(. Takes me a good 30 minutes per nut!

How about putting another nut on each - so you have a lock nut? Do you have enough thread? Otherwise maybe a higher strength locktight?

Nothing takes more than a few hours on my car now:pimp2: I only have 9 nuts and 4 bolts to undo to get at the rear one.

I might go for a spring washer and a second locking nut.. since i have to go buy new bolts anyway/Grrr

Goes to show i probably should have just made the manifold too. It wouldnt have cost much either..

Gly
23-06-2008, 10:11 AM
hows it running?

any mods/improvements of late?

The Vee
23-06-2008, 02:52 PM
Missed a lot of this, so have just read it start to finish. Got to admire what you have done and how patient you have been with the whole thing.top job and a very interesting read. Good luck with the finishing touches.

mpau009
29-06-2008, 06:47 AM
Thanks guys.

I havent done very much at all lately, iv broken down 4 times since i got back on the road.. just the little things above, like the bolt issue and pipework, and oil and coolant leaks that just wont go away.. spent this weekend pulling it apart again because some of my gaskets have been obliterated, so i have ordered some proper ones..

Other than that i still have an intermitent ABS light, but i havent bothered to look into it yet since the brakes work just fine.

I have been trying to save $$$ for insurance lately, and had a valuer around on friday to give me some extra credibility.

Bought a new boost gauge to match my other autogauge ones since my HKS one just wouldnt light up and i got sick of it.

Fitted my $200 bodykit, which is pretty good so long as you dont look up close, where its got some hairline cracks from the previous owner, and the speedbump outside work..

Just means i can use a floor jack anymore, so iv resorted to the factory sissor jack:afro:

Gly
29-06-2008, 07:56 AM
looks good,

now you need a front kit,
and some mags, (evo 8/9/10 ones would look good imo)

and did you get the little triangles that go on the rear doors that go with the side skirts?

bradc
29-06-2008, 07:59 AM
I really like the look of that now :) The bodykit is great

mpau009
29-06-2008, 08:12 AM
looks good,

now you need a front kit,
and some mags, (evo 8/9/10 ones would look good imo)

and did you get the little triangles that go on the rear doors that go with the side skirts?

Cheers guys, its a bit rough when you look close, but hey the price was right..

And yeah i did get those door bits with it, but i dont know if i like them:thinking:

Im still not 100% sure i like the kit, and carsten it looks a bit ??? from the front with the grille and stock bumper. Still i'll add Super VR4 canards to my wishlist:scholar:

Gly
29-06-2008, 08:22 AM
nothing a bit of paint wont fix???

not sure the lines of the svr4 flares will suit the rest of the kit thou??

keep it up thou....

whats the prob with the mani-bolts?? still comming undone?

mpau009
29-06-2008, 08:35 AM
nothing a bit of paint wont fix???

not sure the lines of the svr4 flares will suit the rest of the kit thou??

keep it up thou....

whats the prob with the mani-bolts?? still comming undone?

Yeah paint would sort it, i'll leave it for a bit tho.. so many things to do first.

Yeah, sorted the bolts now, but as soon as i changed the 3 bolt ones, the rest came apart in a week.. replaced $100+ of stainless bolts with $9 of high tensile ones with inner lock washers:P

Just now the gaskets have packed it in, just burnt to nothing, only the metal cores left.. Probably from being partly un bolted. Not a major, just not going to bother making my own again, and the proper ones our out of stock till wednesday.

Nothing to important to complain about, and with the exhaust actually bolted on i get an easy 300k from a tank:happy:

zentac
29-06-2008, 04:36 PM
..The manifold extensions have decided to undo themselves, and the stainless bolts at the back are gone/pan

Ive had similar problems with mine, it happened so many times that the heat warped my flanges, so I had to get them flattened out. Ive now changed mine to copper locking nuts. Similar to what we use on Garrett turbos. forget spring washers etc... none of it works :) these have stayed put.

mpau009
29-06-2008, 07:03 PM
Ive had similar problems with mine, it happened so many times that the heat warped my flanges, so I had to get them flattened out. Ive now changed mine to copper locking nuts. Similar to what we use on Garrett turbos. forget spring washers etc... none of it works :) these have stayed put.

Thanks Richard, i'll keep my eye out for some of those if it happens again.

d i c k i e s
29-06-2008, 10:35 PM
nice work on the kit mike.. i like it.

djb160
30-06-2008, 11:17 PM
Just out of curiosity, is this the longest thread so far?

d i c k i e s
30-06-2008, 11:50 PM
nope? im sure i saw a 35 page one or something like that in the chat or uk section.

Robotnik123
02-07-2008, 05:58 AM
So what about a racing Bradc then? You must be faster than him by now, surely? ;)

mpau009
02-07-2008, 07:13 AM
So what about a racing Bradc then? You must be faster than him by now, surely? ;)

Nah, id be wasting my time, wouldnt be putting down near the same power, im only at 9psi, not 19:P

Be interesting to see what it would be like on the open road though, mine feels pretty quick from 100 in third. But brads car is brutal in 1st and 2nd.

Iv still got things to sort out, and $$ to save for a bit though.

bradc
02-07-2008, 07:55 AM
Mike - I'm going down to Hamilton (amsoil) tomorrow, want to take a sickie?

mpau009
02-07-2008, 07:10 PM
Mike - I'm going down to Hamilton (amsoil) tomorrow, want to take a sickie?

As exciting as hamilton is, im flat out at the mo:P Plus iv got a whole new issue now, im guessing 4 gauges, stereo, handsfree kit and turbo timer was a wee bit too much for the factory 12v stereo supply, and iv tripped a fuse, so no dash, clock, speedo, anything else for me to get to work this morning:thinking: When the sun comes up i'll have a look for the culprit.
It was the creepiest feeling driving home late last night, with only the aircon lit up:afro: .

d i c k i e s
02-07-2008, 10:22 PM
whoa... knight rider!!!

Gly
18-09-2008, 07:43 AM
any more progress??

mpau009
18-09-2008, 08:02 AM
any more progress??

Nah, bits on the floor again for the last month..

I will be there for the dyno day though, just ran out of enthusiasm lately, kinda got sick of spending money on cars:baby: Iv been driving the ute again for 4 weeks - 1200ks on $180 of diesel.. kinda nice:thinking: plus with the siz eof the tank iv only filled up twice:P

I jammed the brakes on yesterday, cause some dick decided to cut me off when i was doing 60ks, and my wastegate (needs new gaskets cause 2 sets have crapped out so far) went flying and smashed the little tail pieces off./Grrr

I have fitted the injectors, just havent got around to firing it up, was actually really easy (touch wood). Just need to figure out a plan for my brakes still, they have been sitting in a box for a month - im just not very excited about brakes to be honest:P

Then im going to switch over to MAP, fit up my airbox and boost solenoid, which are ready to go, and take it to the tuner. That should be next month.

Gly
02-10-2008, 07:30 AM
is it done yet?

mpau009
06-10-2008, 11:53 PM
is it done yet?

Iv been suffering chronic cant be assed syndrome lately ay, didnt touch it for weeks.

Done a bit more lately, mostly just wiring to tidy up, and finalise the plan for the cold air box pipe.

I just booked a day at the tuners for the 30th to force myself to finish it in time for the club dyno day. Hopefully nothing bad happens :P

Then no more spending money on cars..

Gly
07-10-2008, 06:28 AM
who are you getting to tune it?

mpau009
07-10-2008, 07:43 AM
who are you getting to tune it?

I booked with Steward Motors, since they are a dealer for Map Ecu, and they have their own 4wd Dyno.

But to be honest, the guy i spoke to didnt sound like he gave a sh*t either way whether he gets my business, which has kinda been grinding on me all day.

I might go and pay them a visit first.

I rang around a half dozen a month ago, and there arent too many who have their own dynos for 4wd. I would have taken it to Torqueperformance, since they are a few hundred meters from my work.. but they seemed overpriced, and didnt really sell me that they have the skills or motivation to do a decent job with the Mapecu, since they specialise in V8s, and apparently hondas? these days..

I want someone who is going to show a bit of excitement about tuning it, so at least theres the illusion that they are going to do a decent job and look after the engine..

I'm always open to suggestions :P

Gly
07-10-2008, 08:29 AM
gary capper,

GCP, where brad had his tuned,

he deals with map ecu,
but hes in pukekohe, so may be to far for you??

ill be taking mine to him when i'm ready,

mpau009
07-10-2008, 08:44 AM
gary capper,

GCP, where brad had his tuned,

he deals with map ecu,
but hes in pukekohe, so may be to far for you??

ill be taking mine to him when i'm ready,

Cheers,

These other guys are in Howick, so its miles either way..

I might give GCP a ring tomorrow and see how they shape up. Its just interesting how one 1/2 assed phone call can bug you like that, but its not something i want done 1/2 assed - especially if it costs the same either way:P

bradc
07-10-2008, 08:40 PM
238 0016, and tell him you know me :)

Kenneth
07-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Cheers,

These other guys are in Howick, so its miles either way..

I might give GCP a ring tomorrow and see how they shape up. Its just interesting how one 1/2 assed phone call can bug you like that, but its not something i want done 1/2 assed - especially if it costs the same either way:P

Don't let morons near your car! If they can't be bothered getting a phone call right, I wouldn't go near them.

Paul C
08-10-2008, 04:16 AM

Brad thats a cross dressing hotline.:joker:

bradc
08-10-2008, 04:44 AM
how the hell do you know?

Ryan
08-10-2008, 05:20 AM
Maybe he works there? /STP

mpau009
08-10-2008, 07:02 AM
/haz

Yeah possibly.. certainly had a manly voice.

As long as he/they/it can tune a car i dont really care:P

Seems that Gary is really busy.. the earliest he could offer me was the 10th of November...

So i made my sob story about having to go to the dyno day, and hes going to try and fit it in. But if it turns into a nightmare, or something breaks, then i might have to leave it at his shop for a bit..

Now i just need to get the car running on a base.. in the next 11 days:baby:

Better get a move on:afro:

Gly
08-10-2008, 07:30 AM

no dont do that, it will take a year to get done then!! /pan :scholar: :iloveyou:

bradc
08-10-2008, 07:46 AM
haha bitch :P Now that he has done two, won't have to convert it to manual, wire it in, etc it should be a lot quicker!

Gly
08-10-2008, 08:10 AM
7 or 8 months then? :P

Subaru ETA
08-10-2008, 09:55 AM
see you at next years dyno day then mike :p

but yeah you really want to give it to someone who actually gives a **** and is going to do a decent job aye. you have done so much hard work on it it would be a shame to not have it at its potential just because the tuner didnt give a ****

Ryan
09-10-2008, 02:41 AM
Ja, I agree with Dave. I would also be very interested to see what Gary can get out of your car Michael.

agriguy
09-10-2008, 09:46 AM
Great reading wat has been shaping up with ur car. Wish i had the money or at least a quarter the patience u have shown. i reali hope u get a plug on performance car tv or just atleast in their mag.

Congrats!!!!!!!!

VR4WGN
10-10-2008, 08:20 PM
Its taken two full weeks, but it has finally arrived from wellington - via christchurch apparently:speechles

Also came with an unused external wastegate and fittings, and a pod that got crushed in transit:baby:

Also got my SRD flywheel back today, and this time it actually is lighter than stock/pan , now 6.8kg versus 8.3 stock, which is what i asked for:afro:

So its all go for gearbox reassembly / clutch now, got the turbo checked, and even though its not new, its got no obvious issues, and the 16g wheel is in good nick. I bought a turbo off trade me, and diddnt get scammed - go figure:afro:

Thanks to Gly for pointing me down the td-05 route, this one is a proper mitsi 10.5T, oil and water cooled, ex an evo 6, just as the doctor recommended:pimp2:

Also, check out just how much smaller the td-03 looks in comparison to a stock evo unit... and valmes has two:inquisiti:happy:
sup man Quinton here,if you need anything VR4 i source and supply anything,you may need,id like to see how it goes aswell,if you could give me a txt id apreciate it please,thanx quinton 0277210104 or 0211282992

mpau009
18-10-2008, 04:18 AM
Hi guys, thanks for the comments, sorry about the delayed reply. VR4WGN, do you trade as Ernz on trademe? Id be keen for a bonnet one day, once the bank account has recovered :P

Finally got some good news and bad news report.

Good news is it now runs on the MAP2, albeit like complete ****, just got it to go before, and the AFR at idle was 9.5 and everything stinks of petrol:afro:

The injectors turned into a pain as well, fitting them was no problem, but when i reassembled everything, i found that the link between the two fuel rails had moved up the 20mm or so the injectors had increased, which meant it now hit right where i had relocated the throttle body/Grrr Spent a while messing around with that one, but hopefully now it should be okay.

The bad news is, i probably wont make the dyno day. One of Gary Cappers cars crashed yesterday, and bumped me down the queue.. and he was already behind. I'll know in a week or so if it is doable, but im 4th in line at the moment, and he was supposed to be starting on it tomorrow..

Oh well, at least i got my part mostly done. took a pic of the turbo running with no piping, for some reason i had to fight the urge to stick my finger in there:inquisiti /pan.

Also pretty pleased with how the 2nd attempt at the airbox came out. For $50 a cutout, i think it looks the part. Especially since i didnt cut the hole in the wrong place this time /pan

bradc
18-10-2008, 05:50 AM
Haha, was down there this morning, Garys race car is fxxcked (not his, but someone who gets his work done at GCP)

djb160
18-10-2008, 06:08 AM
And just what can we see next to your car exactly?! It looks suspiciously like a ~70s mustang at an uneducated guess.

Subaru ETA
18-10-2008, 06:41 AM
And just what can we see next to your car exactly?! It looks suspiciously like a ~70s mustang at an uneducated guess.

yeah thats his old mans mustang...

speaking of the mustang mike - i was talking to tim last night and he said "have you seen mikes dads car? its like an old triumph or something....." /pan

bradc
18-10-2008, 06:43 AM
It is a 60's mustang, 3rd oldest in the country I beleive

djb160
18-10-2008, 06:48 AM
AND it has white walls. excellent

Gly
18-10-2008, 08:02 AM
excellent work mike!

mpau009
18-10-2008, 07:44 PM
Yeah thats dads mustang, april 28th 1964... but its not a matching numbers car any more which is a shame.

The previous owner did it up to show condition and got it into the classic car magazine. Its a nice car, but the paint really needs redoing, it looks mint from 10 feet, but its had that same paint for 20 years now, and there are trouble spots where its starting to blister. I think hes pretty much lost interest in it since mum died, i was the last one to drive it, up to gulf harbour and that was march:thinking: Lucky i spotted the WOF had run out a few months back..

Hopefully i'll be able to tidy things up with the wiring today, and get mine down for another warrant, apparently it has been six months since i got it back on the road 1st time round/pan

d i c k i e s
18-10-2008, 11:48 PM
time flys!!

thfelipeth
19-10-2008, 07:00 AM
freaking awesome! how much power is it going to make now??? good luck with the tune

Subaru ETA
14-11-2008, 10:00 AM
mike - how much was it going to cost to get the TD03's rebuilt? mine are starting to get a little noisey and was just wondering what i should do...that said, i cant be without a car for a year :p

Gly
14-11-2008, 06:32 PM
$500 each

mpau009
14-11-2008, 09:31 PM
$500 each

Pretty much, but i had one of the compressor wheels in a bad way, and that they reckoned was going to be $1100 to replace. BS!

But yeah theres no reason why you cant get second hand ones for $500-750 in okay condition.

I spent close to $4k with all the pissing around and injectors and what not, not including the tune, which will be a bit..

It only made a tiny bit of sense for me since i was planning on doing an intercooler and exhaust anyway, so that wasnt an extra expense if you get what i mean. Plus had the map ecu already.

Given what i know now and am comfortable with, i wouldnt think twice about going for a td-04 upgrade. It just seemed way too hard at the time.

Iv actually been putting some thought into how i would go about it this week just for ****s and giggles, but i need my car back to have a look at a couple of details.

I reckon set yourself a budget, given these cars are worth nothing and prone to breaking and using gas, and see if it makes sense for you..

I think if you got the bits beforehand and had a plan it wouldnt take very long at all to do. I did mine ass about face, since i had no need to rush, and it wasnt planned for the first 3 months it was in bits.

Subaru ETA
14-11-2008, 10:30 PM
my thought is i might aswell drive it untill it gets real bad and then look into it... ill prob start looking into the TD04 upgrade..

Gly
08-12-2008, 06:45 AM
is it done yet?

dickytim
08-12-2008, 07:19 AM
mike - how much was it going to cost to get the TD03's rebuilt? mine are starting to get a little noisey and was just wondering what i should do...that said, i cant be without a car for a year :p

what noise are they making ?

rattling, grinding, whistling ?

I am convinced my rear turbo is going...

mpau009
08-12-2008, 07:23 AM
is it done yet?

Funny you should ask, im just off to borrow a forklift and dump the thing in the ocean.

Gary rang this afternoon to say that the MAP2 is a piece of ****, he hates it and it is consistently slips out of tune, he isnt prepared to push it much further incase it randomly decides to pull all the fuel out at 6000 rpm.. My just-replaced-it radiator had a leak so they replaced it without asking me - even though i have $340 worth of alloy radiator sitting in my room at home, and a year of pissing around and wasting a bunch of hard earned $$ have got the same results as kenneth and dave did with a piece of string and some duct tape (no offence guys, you know what i mean, i just had my hopes up a bit higher..) I agreed to take it off the dyno for now, cause i dont want to flush away the rest of this weeks paycheck on a tune that lasts two hours, so it probably wont get back on theirs until the new year if i want them to do it.

Im going to go out tomorrow to find out what the story is, but if all that setup is good for is an unstable a/f (and **** economy), and 195wkw at close to 12psi then it can go in the bin/Grrr

Not really the best time to ask :P im hoping there is something a bit more substantial i can do to find out what the hell is going on, im hoping its a mechanical issue as much as a tuning one, but its getting to the point where i cant justify spending x$ to go to a link or other ecu, even if i do install it myself.. the shine is really starting to come off, and now i wont be able to take it away over christmas, or have it done for my birthday.

I'll let you know how i get on.

bradc
08-12-2008, 07:38 AM
The radiator might be my old one heh :) Just harass him about it and try to get him to use your one.

As for the ecu, I don't know much about the ecu, did he say why it is pulling the fuel out? There might be a leak or something that is confusing the ecu?

Gly
08-12-2008, 08:19 AM
thats a pain in the ass.

is he sure its the ecu?? not a fuel supply issue??

anyway, let us know how you get on. hopefully its not as bad as he's made it sound,

mpau009
08-12-2008, 08:31 AM
thats a pain in the ass.

is he sure its the ecu?? not a fuel supply issue??

anyway, let us know how you get on. hopefully its not as bad as he's made it sound,

Nah, he was saying it would be spot on one minute, then scale all over the place the next.. which is what i found just trying to get it to idle.

Im sure it is a tricky thing to get right, but i assumed gary would be the best man for it, he certainly is good with the evos. I'll have a chat, but iv also been receommended driven performance (who i bought it from) who might have a bit more experience with it. What i dont want is to spend another stack of $$ for an average return, i am happy to boost it past 12, so i want it to be right. But if it is wasting money, then maybe i do a hack job and fit a stand alone. I struggle to believe that the MAP would be that much crappier than the Emanage that Valmes seems to use with ease..

Gly
08-12-2008, 08:48 AM
yes seams stange,

i wonder if the factory ecu is messing it up?
or even if it could be a faulty map2?

Turbo_Steve
08-12-2008, 05:46 PM
Not sure exactly how the MAP2 is setup (i.e. does it modulate the MAF signal, or does it completely hijack the injector outputs of the ECU and do it's own thing with them?

I really don't get on with Piggybacks.

My first thought is knock correction: is the factory ECU seeing something it doesn't like, and pulling timing, dumping fuel like mad and ruining the whole experience.

I've previously had ECUs with Piggybacks do the same thing: the ECU was invoking fuel cut (the piggyback didn't have it's clamp set at the right voltage) and so the ECU would suddenly cut the fuel coming on boost. We'd not realised this, and had the maps set MEGA rich to compensate. We turned the boost down a little bit later to see if we could get more timing and suddenly the car is nearly hydrolocked! Nightmare!

So it was out lack of experience with the Piggyback in question that caused the issue. Though we did go on to have a nightmare with the factory ECU putting in too much timing at too low revs, and eventually had the choice of a fuel & timing controller (MAP2, EMU etc) or to say fcuk it and fit Motec.

Motec was in, running and mapped within a day and without any problems.

Subaru ETA
11-12-2008, 05:34 AM
so have you calmed down after beating your ankle with the sedgehammer? hows the bruise? :p

anywho, you going to go hit him up about the fact that you drive it there and now it dont go?

mpau009
11-12-2008, 08:55 AM
so have you calmed down after beating your ankle with the sedgehammer? hows the bruise? :p

anywho, you going to go hit him up about the fact that you drive it there and now it dont go?

Yeah got a bruise roughly the size of a sledgehammer head funnily enough :P still i enjoyed that..

Nah havent even thought about car since tuesday, not too bothered any more though, had a series of (my) **** ups at work that i have been trying to sort out. The plan at this stage is just to push start it... and drive it back to my place, park it until the end of january and more than likely go for a new computer of some sort, and replace my loom with the one from our wreck. Theres no way i can afford to pay someone to try and get it up and working. I'll just do some homework in the mean time, and maybe buy a heap to run around in:thinking:

It just sucks that its soo much hassle, im going to talk to driven performance since they seem to have good knowledge of the MAP2, im just how horrified the tune can vanish over night, iv seen garys graphs and they arent bad, but there must be a special art to this kind of piggyback style computer,
but this project is officially starting to get rediculous budget wise, for results that dont really justify the effort, im sure it will be good - but you know, the excitement bit is long gone.

I can see how these things spiral now, but i'll get there eventually but good things (on the cheap-ish-er-yeah-not-really-anymore) take time :P

djb160
11-12-2008, 08:58 AM
will you keep with a piggyback computer for the next one or go for a standalone?

Gly
11-12-2008, 09:03 AM
well thats completely **** then,

so gary can tune it and it will be fine for x amount of time or till powered of?
and then it looses its memory??

sounds like a eeprom issue with the map2??

Kieran
11-12-2008, 09:33 AM
well thats completely **** then,

so gary can tune it and it will be fine for x amount of time or till powered of?
and then it looses its memory??

sounds like a eeprom issue with the map2??

Yeah, that's deffo not right! The Map 2 shouldn't be forgetting stuff.

zentac
11-12-2008, 10:09 AM
Yeah got a bruise roughly the size of a sledgehammer head funnily enough :P still i enjoyed that..

Nah havent even thought about car since tuesday, not too bothered any more though, had a series of (my) **** ups at work that i have been trying to sort out. The plan at this stage is just to push start it... and drive it back to my place, park it until the end of january and more than likely go for a new computer of some sort, and replace my loom with the one from our wreck. Theres no way i can afford to pay someone to try and get it up and working. I'll just do some homework in the mean time, and maybe buy a heap to run around in:thinking:

It just sucks that its soo much hassle, im going to talk to driven performance since they seem to have good knowledge of the MAP2, im just how horrified the tune can vanish over night, iv seen garys graphs and they arent bad, but there must be a special art to this kind of piggyback style computer,
but this project is officially starting to get rediculous budget wise, for results that dont really justify the effort, im sure it will be good - but you know, the excitement bit is long gone.

I can see how these things spiral now, but i'll get there eventually but good things (on the cheap-ish-er-yeah-not-really-anymore) take time :P

the good think about the map2 is you can have it in learn mode, so you wire it in leave your maf in place and drive normally whilst it learns the af settings. Cant you configure it to do that so at least you have a car to drive round in for now. (sorry not read the whole 19 page thread so you may have tried this)

Gly
11-12-2008, 10:23 AM
it was, the problem is it now has 550cc injectors installed,
so needed retuning, which was done,

but the tune is not on being stored correctly on the ecu, keeps loosing memory

that being said, its not still set in learn mode on the interface side of things is it?
ie its wired to run and the mapcal interface setting is also set to run?

Turbo_Steve
11-12-2008, 11:16 AM
If you're stuck, wire the wastegate open, turn the fuel pssure down and let the factory ECU have control. Car will be horrible to drive with no boost, but it WILL drrivee.

mpau009
11-12-2008, 06:18 PM
Yeah i am pretty sure the settings are correct, and the wiring is definately for standard mode. I dont think it will be an issue of the ecu itself, it just seems to be changing things at the factory ecu end. So settings that were fine at one point suddenly become too rich or too lean, hence why he didnt want to wind it up any further.

I'll have a look into some other tuners and see if it more to do with the way he is approaching it, or if there is something i might have wired incorrectly.

I mean the car is driveable apart from the mystery starting issue, just really hesitat-y and crap sounding. Getting it home shouldnt be a problem, it just worries me pursuing a tune if it is going to cost X$ for uncertain results.

I'll have to have a think, just really too busy to give it much effort until after xmas:baby:

Paul C
23-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Did you fit the Intake air temperature sensor and resistor? I use to suffer heat soak, and that through the AFR's all over the place. Ended up mounting the probe in the intercooler and managed to settled things down.

valmes
26-01-2009, 04:49 AM
"mystery starting issue" ... what's up with that?

mpau009
26-01-2009, 07:01 AM
"mystery starting issue" ... what's up with that?

Not sure, to be honest it has pretty much just sat in my driveway until this weekend. I have gone through pulled the interior out again, and chopped out everything extra bar the alarm. I joined the ecu wires with a spare loom i had, so it is back to normal. Reinstalled the MAF, wideband, and factory computer.

Everything seems normal enough now, obviously just rich.

I have decided that i need to take a break from car stuff for a bit, i really need to move out of home, so i am going to finish off this bit, and just drive it rich and at 10 psi for a month or two, until i can get a proper standalone computer. I have cut up a my spare ecu, and taken the plugs out of it, so i can make a plug in loom for the new computer.

valmes
26-01-2009, 07:24 AM
I can see you are a bit frustrated with the car... but I'm sure the problem is really simple. At least in my case it always was!

PS: Did you describe it somewhere in this topic? Sorry I must've missed that part...

bradc
26-01-2009, 08:28 AM
Mike, did you try what Paul said above at all?

mpau009
31-03-2009, 06:06 AM
New Toys..

Taken me months to save for it, but finally got my hands on a stand alone ecu. Went for the Link G4 Extreme, which should have more than enough bells and whistles to sort everything out once and for all:thinking:

I also think i have got a handle on the starting issue. The battery cable from the boot was getting noticably hot. I think the gauge of cable i had was not quite up to it, and with the fuel pump on a relay from the battery it was putting too much load for starting, once the cable began to heat up i think the resistance increased too much to crank. Which is why i could start it cold, but not going to do the shopping and stuff.. So the theory goes, iv ordered some 70mm cable to replace it with, so fingers and wallet crossed that cures it..

Now just got to get to work making my loom adaptor. Im pretty confident i have the main car systems accounted for, just need to figure out how to work in the other features i want to use.

Ryan
31-03-2009, 06:26 AM
^^%^ That's @#$@#% awesome man! Let the tuning begin!!! :guitarist

Subaru ETA
31-03-2009, 07:09 AM
not long until she is off the axle stands again!

Turbo_Steve
31-03-2009, 12:50 PM
Steaming with Jealousy here! Nice one, dude.

mpau009
31-03-2009, 06:07 PM
Yeah its good to have a bit of excitement back:happy:

Its still going to be a little while before everything is sorted, i am doing it on the mega cheap, so have to do the install myself, as well as save for the dynoing, but at least i can make some progress now. Plan A is just to get this starting thing tidied up and get my warrant while i make the loom adaptor.

I'm also moving to a flat in a fortnight, so going to be a little busy. But after that prepare for a barrage of little annoying questions :P

Turbo_Steve
31-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Well, I guess we'll all do our best :D Good luck though - despite it being an extremely long and arduous job grafting in an ECU, I actually envy you the work....as long as it goes when you're finished LOL.

Just a thought, but are you going completely standalone, or going to piggyback the Link to start with, and then move over.

Goku
31-03-2009, 08:11 PM
One thing with the link ECU's, make sure that you have some time spent on tuning the cold start and warm up..... they make the car's a bitch to drive otherwise.
It's the only downside to the link, other than that they are a great tuning tool :D

scott.mohekey
31-03-2009, 09:42 PM
I'm interested to see how this goes.. has anyone else ever used a link ecu in one of our cars?

Munta
31-03-2009, 09:44 PM
nice ecu. looks like its going to be a mission to install.

mpau009
31-03-2009, 09:48 PM
Well, I guess we'll all do our best :D Good luck though - despite it being an extremely long and arduous job grafting in an ECU, I actually envy you the work....as long as it goes when you're finished LOL.

Just a thought, but are you going completely standalone, or going to piggyback the Link to start with, and then move over.

The plan is to use the plugs from an ecu i cut up to make a plug in adaptor, and ditch the ecu in one go at this stage. But it is still really something i need to look at more. Im still just starting to teach myself about these things, so im going to make 100% sure i have a concrete idea of what i am going to be doing and why before i start to actually change anything.:thinking:

bradc
01-04-2009, 01:56 AM
Uc had a link in his and starting always took longer than normal

Goku
01-04-2009, 02:05 AM
I'm interested to see how this goes.. has anyone else ever used a link ecu in one of our cars?

I have one in mine dude :D

scott.mohekey
01-04-2009, 03:50 AM
I have one in mine dude

Nice! is it worth the money?

Subaru ETA
01-04-2009, 05:36 AM
Yeah its good to have a bit of excitement back:happy:

Its still going to be a little while before everything is sorted, i am doing it on the mega cheap, so have to do the install myself, as well as save for the dynoing, but at least i can make some progress now. Plan A is just to get this starting thing tidied up and get my warrant while i make the loom adaptor.

I'm also moving to a flat in a fortnight, so going to be a little busy. But after that prepare for a barrage of little annoying questions :P

so you found a flat aye? good stuff has it got a garage?! :D

Goku
01-04-2009, 06:09 AM
Nice! is it worth the money?

Definately, more power and more economical :D

bradc
01-04-2009, 06:14 AM
It's Munta's place, has plenty of room apparently.

I was down at Gary's today and mentioned you had bought a Link, he was happy :)

mpau009
01-04-2009, 06:54 AM
It's Munta's place, has plenty of room apparently.

I was down at Gary's today and mentioned you had bought a Link, he was happy :)

Yeah, he has high praise for them.. even though he deals in a rival brand :P

And yeah, its a good flat. It has a shed with benches etc, I got kicked out of the garage at home last year, so im used to working on the driveway on axle stands by now. :pimp2:

As for the value for money thing... Not even close on a car as cheap as these are now.. I got mine at the old pricing after four days of whinging, link put the prices up 20% at the beginning of march, without telling most of their dealers.. Al at Driven Performance put in the hard yards to get the old price for me, which was tops:happy:

Their new price for the extreme is 2500+gst.. and you need the air temp sensor kit and external map sensor on top. Hence the 3.5 months since theres been any news in this thread:baby:

I learnt the hard way about trying to cut corners, so fingers crossed this will be good. Still i should always be able to sell it for a good amount down the track if need be.

Anyways, i'll try and get some ACTUAL progress done so i have something to report, rather than filling this post up with 50 posts between anything done :P

Gly
01-04-2009, 09:32 AM
make sure to keep a record of wiring!!
im thinking of going the link route aswell oneday.

Mr.Salas
01-04-2009, 04:11 PM
Sorry to ask but what are you using for clutch?? I saw excedy but what type and is that from evo 8?

mpau009
01-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Sorry to ask but what are you using for clutch?? I saw excedy but what type and is that from evo 8?

I was looking at a range of options, but ended up getting a kit through a New Zealand guy as a one off.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25211&highlight=exedy+clutch

Nothing overly flash, just slightly increased clamping force. I had the flywheel machined from billet so it would be lighter and stronger. Given what i know now i would probably go for a late model evo clutch, using the information 'Gly' has gathered and tried. Have a bit of a search and check out what he has done.

Goku
01-04-2009, 07:57 PM
Yeah, he has high praise for them.. even though he deals in a rival brand :P

And yeah, its a good flat. It has a shed with benches etc, I got kicked out of the garage at home last year, so im used to working on the driveway on axle stands by now. :pimp2:

As for the value for money thing... Not even close on a car as cheap as these are now.. I got mine at the old pricing after four days of whinging, link put the prices up 20% at the beginning of march, without telling most of their dealers.. Al at Driven Performance put in the hard yards to get the old price for me, which was tops:happy:

Their new price for the extreme is 2500+gst.. and you need the air temp sensor kit and external map sensor on top. Hence the 3.5 months since theres been any news in this thread:baby:

I learnt the hard way about trying to cut corners, so fingers crossed this will be good. Still i should always be able to sell it for a good amount down the track if need be.

Anyways, i'll try and get some ACTUAL progress done so i have something to report, rather than filling this post up with 50 posts between anything done :P

Yea, I knew the pricing for the G4 was going to be something silly like that, plus having to pay for the external map sensor. I grabbed a link Plus G3, which comes with an external 2.5BAR map sensor out of the box.

scott.mohekey
01-04-2009, 08:37 PM
What does the 4 have over the 3?

djb160
02-04-2009, 01:29 AM
more inputs/outputs as far as I know, but it must have other features added. Whether or not normal users would use them?

Goku
02-04-2009, 05:18 AM
Actually, the one that I have is almost identical to the high end G4, the only difference is the processor power really.

Zitchu
02-04-2009, 05:36 AM
If your now at Munta's place then can I look forward to seeing this beast in a few weeks?

Gly
07-05-2009, 11:01 AM
any more progress?

mpau009
07-05-2009, 08:16 PM
any more progress?

95% confident on the wiring for the ecu at this stage, i am actually going to put up a thread to help me sort out the final few bits on the weekend..

Its been a little bit more involved than what thought, i think i am going to need the majority of the wires to make things run.. 6 wires to the idle stepper for example..

Other than that havent saved a damm thing towards the actual tuning. Im hoping to sort that out in a month (or two) but still got plenty to keep me busy till then.

I also got failed for modifying my crash bar for the intercooler.. so i either have to get a dodgy wof or get recerted.. which is probably a good idea with everything else, but not something i particularly want to do at this point.

Hoping to have the loom adaptor tidied up by the end of this weekend:thinking: :afro:

Turbo_Steve
08-05-2009, 12:39 AM
....and then you've got all the fun of actually programming the inputs and outputs to behave as you want (have fun with the crank and cam setup.....Not sure if Link knows about ours or not, but if not you may be there calculating ignition dwell against crank angle for a while). THEN you can start getting a functional base map, and THEN a mild tune map, THEN get coldstart compensation, voltage compensation and individual injector trims sorted (if required) and THEN you can setup boost control and actually get a proper medium tune, and THEN you can knock the edges off by driving it to a dyno and getting it really fast.

Lots of work....but it's all actually quite interesting and fun. Worth it when it's all done, though, as car will go like a dream.

Turbo_Steve
08-05-2009, 12:40 AM
Sorry...it's CAM angle on Mitsi's, isn't it?

scott.mohekey
08-05-2009, 01:00 AM
I've figured out how the stock ecu calculates per piston tdc and firing order etc based on the crank and cam sensors. It's pretty straight forward once you understand how it works.

Crank is used to calculate tdc. It goes high at 5 degrees before tdc and goes low 45 degrees after tdc. If the crank goes high and low while the cam is continously high, the tdc is for cylinder 1.

mpau009
08-05-2009, 01:50 AM
I've figured out how the stock ecu calculates per piston tdc and firing order etc based on the crank and cam sensors. It's pretty straight forward once you understand how it works.

Crank is used to calculate tdc. It goes high at 5 degrees before tdc and goes low 45 degrees after tdc. If the crank goes high and low while the cam is continously high, the tdc is for cylinder 1.

Yeah pretty happy with the core engine stuff (at least i hope i do :P), its just all the extra stuff on the factory ecu that i dont quite understand..

Like exactly what it does in relation to the alternator, and the wire to the AYC. Iv got wiring diagrams etc, but still need to sit down and figure out what if anything they might need from the link..

I'll try and make up a proper list of what i am missing and get you guys to have at it..

And Steve, yeah not looking forward to trying to get it to start.. half of the thinking behind the loom adaptor is i can drive it on the old ecu to the dyno if need be:thinking:

I'll see how much motivation i can get versus the money in my bank closer to the time :P

Subaru ETA
08-05-2009, 02:04 AM
about your WOF - did they fail it on the exhaust and then fail it on the intercooler when you went back for the recheck?

mpau009
08-05-2009, 02:10 AM
about your WOF - did they fail it on the exhaust and then fail it on the intercooler when you went back for the recheck?

My recheck expired, so i had to pay again.

But yes, failed me on exhaust noise in feb.

Drove it 100ks between tests, and suddenly my front ball joints need doing and my front mount is illegal. Technically the toss was right on the intercooler, but any idiot can see its not a bodge. I went back to VTNZ westgate again to have them up about it, and suddenly the guy is all back tracking and tripping on his words... F*CKERS.

BTW was an hour and a half checking my car second time round, even though i had the sheet saying that all i had failed on previously was exhaust.. which is now sweet..

I dont think i'll go back there just on principle, but im not going to pay for a recert when i havent done things like seats or brakes..

Subaru ETA
08-05-2009, 02:14 AM
so what did they say when you took it back exactly? might be worth having a word to LTSA about it?

Oblivion
08-05-2009, 08:47 AM
I also got failed for modifying my crash bar for the intercooler.. so i either have to get a dodgy wof or get recerted.. which is probably a good idea with everything else, but not something i particularly want to do at this point.

Shouldnt have to worry about this, if you mean the bumper bar, removal or changing it doesnt require a cert. Page 2 http://www.lvvta.org.nz/ModThreshold260902.pdf

mpau009
08-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Shouldnt have to worry about this, if you mean the bumper bar, removal or changing it doesnt require a cert. Page 2 http://www.lvvta.org.nz/ModThreshold260902.pdf

Yeah i went over that with a fine tooth comb, and the longer worded version, plus spke to the guy who did my cert originally.

This was what i did, cut out around the intercooler and boxed it back in.

Its not going to be dangerous at all, the factory bar is pretty useless, but technically it might change a frontal impact.

Had two warrants like that though.. just a case of finding a ****head of an inspector:baby:

Oblivion
10-05-2009, 09:20 AM
Wow talk about being picky, that inspector needs a slap! Looks like you've done a really nice job of it actually, the intercooler sprayers look like they do a good job too! Are those Cusco swaybars I spy lying on the ground?

mpau009
10-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Wow talk about being picky, that inspector needs a slap! Looks like you've done a really nice job of it actually, the intercooler sprayers look like they do a good job too! Are those Cusco swaybars I spy lying on the ground?

Cheers, i certainly wasnt trying to cut corners.. i didnt want to just bin it, incase i need it one day:thinking:

Thats what was so funny, when i took it back to westgate after getting failed at henderson VTNZ, they still have no idea that its been changed at all..

The guy was going on about how the intercooler itself might change the way the airbags go off..,

so i was like 'i havent moved any sensors, and it had a front mount to begin with.. are you going to tell me you fail every car that comes through here with a front mounted intercooler?'

hes like... 'only if it affects the frontal impact regulation.'

i'm like.. 'so does it?'

hes like.. 'thats not something for us to decide, thats they have required you to take it an LVV certifier..'

i'm like.. 'so you're saying that you would have to fail any car that comes through here with a front intercooler, just in case there is a risk?'

hes like.. 'only if it affects the frontal impact'

im like.. 'does it?'.........

on and on,

finally lost my temper and told them i was sick of being descriminated against, blah blah blah..

I mean technically they are right, i *might* have made the car stronger or weaker.. but even the certifier said they were being pedantic.. but unless i can get thing from mitsi saying that its not structural, or pay for a recert, im out of luck...

oh well, plenty to do till then.

bradc
10-05-2009, 08:49 PM
I doubt it considering both stock and replacement are just thin aluminium, they'd both be crushed in any sort of impact.

scott.mohekey
10-05-2009, 10:15 PM
I thought the whole point of them was to be crushed on impact, taking as much of the force as possible, instead of the chassis?

Turbo_Steve
11-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Well, it's supposed to deform and spread the impact around the chassis as much as possible.

Gly
11-05-2009, 10:57 AM
and this is exactly why i NEVER go to vtnz/on road.

just go somwhere else for a retest,
you dont have to go back to them

Gly
03-06-2009, 09:08 AM
running yet?

mpau009
03-06-2009, 10:34 AM
running yet?

Na.. this is the worlds slowest moving project at this point..

I have just about finished customising the dash for switches etc, last bits of filler are drying at the moment, should be tidied up on the weekend. And 95% of the loom adaptor has been done for ages, but nothing in the car and tested as yet..

Iv asked work to start taking some 4 day weeks, and use up some of my leave to try and make some more progress, but today i was there from 7 till 6:undecided and working on plans for electrical all day doesn't exactly leave me much motivation when i get home :P

On the bright side i almost have enough saved for the tuning :)

Subaru ETA
10-07-2009, 12:13 AM
hows it going?...or not going?

Gly
04-08-2009, 09:45 AM
and...................................

mpau009
11-08-2009, 05:56 AM
and...................................

Nope, got distracted. :P

Will be done soon-ish:smart:

bradc
11-08-2009, 06:08 AM
rofl, urban camo ute. I know a girl who has a g-string in an almost identical colour scheme

Gly
11-08-2009, 06:17 AM
Nope, got distracted. :P

Will be done soon-ish:smart:

the ute or the vr4?

Zitchu
11-08-2009, 06:34 AM
Jeez what the hell provoked you to do that?????

BuzzPuppy
11-08-2009, 07:18 AM
I just read this from start-to-finish. DEFINITELY epic...

Although it is like reading a book with the last chapter missing. You fishing for a sequel? :)

mpau009
11-08-2009, 07:36 AM
I just read this from start-to-finish. DEFINITELY epic...

Although it is like reading a book with the last chapter missing. You fishing for a sequel? :)

Yeah, its a bit of a blundering, figure it out as it went kinda thing ay.. Considering i planned it out as it went, i think it is turning out okay, might not be mind blowing numbers, but it will be a solid street wagon.

I definately am finishing the legnum, i got to the point a month ago where iv finished customising the dash for switches, wired in the ecu, then had two weeks of fuel leak issues and fiddly depressing crap, plus my laptop wont talk to the link because windows decided to install the wrong driver or some other thing i dont understand..:3d: :3d: :3d:

I was just getting sick of having to spend 10 hours reading to make 1 hours progress all the time:violin: "learning experience"

The ute thing just got in my head, so i gave it a go. Plus iv never owned mag wheels and im 24 ffs. So got the pajero 18s for $500nz with (triangle brand:P) tyres. The need a machine polish, but still a steal..

Im going to give the tuning / starting thing another go this weekend. The ute thing tired me out a bit though, and the tailgate and camo floor (i know what a great idea right) still arent finished, not a bad effort for a weekend. I enjoyed it anyways:party:

mpau009
11-08-2009, 07:41 AM
Jeez what the hell provoked you to do that?????

I heard you were coming up to auckland later this month, so i wanted to be able to hide next to buildings, snow covered piles of rocks etc. :monkey:

Munta
19-08-2009, 11:50 PM
I heard you were coming up to auckland later this month, so i wanted to be able to hide next to buildings, snow covered piles of rocks etc. :monkey:

was also thinking the same.. Don't want to be hit by some out of town driver that not use to traffic :p

Ryan
22-10-2009, 04:50 AM
:bump2:

What's happening with this project Mike? :huh2:

Gly
08-12-2009, 07:43 PM
and then.................????????????????????

Subaru ETA
09-12-2009, 05:41 AM
when i was at his place about 2 weeks ago he had had a tuner around to have a look at it. he is going to give it a start up tune to get it running. i think it still needs a LVV for the frount mount too

Gly
27-01-2010, 08:59 AM
and then??

Paul C
28-01-2010, 06:43 PM
I think the title of this thread is deceiving it implies that the car is up and running. I wait in anticipation for the final result.

foxdie
28-01-2010, 09:16 PM
NO AND THEN!

("Dude, Where's my car?" was so bad!)

Subaru ETA
31-03-2010, 01:05 AM
I think the title of this thread is deceiving it implies that the car is up and running. I wait in anticipation for the final result.

it was running. i have been for a ride in it and it pulls hard.

he has had problems with the tune though and then it got a starting issue. he pulled the map2ecu out and has fitted a new ecu but thats as far as he has got with it

Zitchu
31-03-2010, 06:14 AM
This thing being up and running is an urban myth :laugh:

Paul C
16-11-2010, 10:24 PM
I have been following this for years I hope its still on going.

Gly
17-11-2010, 12:31 AM
well,
ive been in it so it did run at one stage, (standard ecu +single td05)

AFAIK Mike has lost complete interest in this project,
car has been sitting for a year? untouched rego on hold...

last time i heard from mike, he would be willing to sell this for the right price.

Ryan
17-11-2010, 12:33 AM
Hectic... Bit of a shame after all the expense and effort he's been through.

Subaru ETA
17-11-2010, 01:20 AM
Last I spoke to mike he said that if it wasnt running by the new year it's gone.

Real shame but he lost interest after Garry capper cocked up the tune

Gly
17-11-2010, 03:12 AM
i didnt think it was garrys tunning,
i thougt it was a ecu issue, kept loosing tune after restarts??

ILLEGAL
17-11-2010, 11:22 AM
wow!! time is 11:16pm found this today at work.. and started reading as soon as i got home (6:00pm).

first off, enjoyed alot of what i read tonight, and the detail in the writing is very helpful for others wanting to do a similar conversion if the future.. but i see a few of your mistakes you made along the way that may not be obvious too all others following you on you journey..
soo..... you could of just kept the factory ecu and injectors if big power wasnt the initial goal? you state a few time you just wanted it to run with no problems and if it made extra power that it would be a bonus.
but then if you wanted a little more go, why didnt you just do the 500cc injectors and get a S-AFC? or have the factory ecu re flashed? i see you have a wideband O2 sensor so this should have been all you needed??? surely 230KW could have been realistic? (7G 2.0L get 220KW ATW with the TD05 and 390cc injectors off a S-AFC)

again, really enjoyed the write up and hope you get to finish this journey of yours. awesome build, awesome thread.

bradc
17-11-2010, 06:53 PM
You are right, stock injectors and stock ecu would have been ok for it

Kenneth
18-11-2010, 01:39 AM
Also don't forget that when Mike started this project, you couldn't re-flash the standard ECU.

ILLEGAL
18-11-2010, 06:56 AM
oh well the past is the past and the link is going to be epic, once ironed out!

Paul C
20-11-2010, 06:33 AM
Shame he's giving up, I was hoping it would turn out to be a bit of a monster.

taylor
21-11-2010, 12:46 PM
There is a guy on here tyler that has a single turbo galant all done by spec in christchurch. he claims its has 300kw at the tarmac

adzgti
16-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Absolutely brilliant thread. Such a shame it looks like its came to an end the way it has. So many ups and downs that's reaaly hard to take, so you can sypathise with the guy. Shame he couldn't come back on here and post a conclusion to all of this. If it is still sitting somewhere, I hope it gets either finished or sold onto someone who's enthusiastic enough to do it. Would be a mighty shame if it were to be broke for parts. But I suppose people justknow when to cut their losses. Well done anyway mate, you achieved alot, albeit it didn't end up the way you wanted.

fuel
17-06-2011, 06:00 AM
Running yet???

Ryan
17-06-2011, 07:24 AM
I think that Mike gave up on this a long time ago now...