PDA

View Full Version : hello from kildare ireland

omar
02-11-2007, 10:22 PM
Hi all thought it was about time I said hello and how valuable this site has become to me and the wife, excellent resources and endless info very much appreciated.

I have one question regarding the octane it's very difficult to get 98 over here so we are using proboost octane booster 200mls to 20 litres and hear very mixed reports on this so i'd just like to get your opinions.

thanks in advance

Nick VR4
02-11-2007, 10:47 PM
Hi and Welcome

I was told at the Mitz garage when I picked up the VR4 that octane boosters was a no no so have not tried

But I'm sure a few peeps on here use them

peter thomson
02-11-2007, 10:49 PM
/Welcome2 Hi welcome to the club and as a full member. I'm not sure about the octane booster as I have also heard mixed reports about them but I'm sure somebody will be along soon to answer the quetion.

suttonp2
02-11-2007, 11:07 PM
Hello, can't help you with your question because I'm very new on here and am only on the verge of buying a VR4, but as a Dubliner (now living in UK) I thought I'd say hello... haven't seen too many VR4s around Ireland, I'm sure it raises a few eyebrows!

Nutter_John
03-11-2007, 12:46 AM
when i was there in August I got plenty of stares , even had a few people want to time there luck - as for any addative I think it is not wise in the long term , but Special K will be along soon to answer

Roberto
03-11-2007, 10:06 AM
Hi Omar,

As a fellow Kildare resident we now have good news on the petrol front.

Maxol are suppling ALL there stations with E5 Unleaded.
Normal unleaded with a 5% Bio-ethonol mix.

The reason this is so good for us is that it has a 99 Octane rating.

I changed over a couple of tanks fills ago and it does help.

For a full read-up try octane.ie and search for Maxol E5, there is a whole lot being talked about it.

And of course /Welcome2 to the joys of VR4 ownership...

omar
04-11-2007, 08:17 PM
I filled up with the maxol e5 earlier today so I won't see any change for a while but this is good news, by the way Roberto think wev'e spotted u on the n7 a few times!! Nice car by the way were the ones in the white 97 legnum.

thanks again everyone for the feedback.

P.S Roberto who do you use for servicing AYC/ GEARBOX etc if you don't mind me asking???????

Roberto
07-11-2007, 11:43 AM
To be honest Omar, no one has done any work on the AYC or gearbox, except top up the oil, no one in the country has the proper Mitsu computer to do the AYC properly, but Kieran on here has done a real good write up on how to do it. I'm going to give it a go in the spring.

As for oil change I've started doing it myself, as Don from AMSOIL is suppling the good stuff with free delivery.

All other work to date has been carried out by Micheal Tynan Motors at Newlands Cross, Tom has been very helpfull and have had no problems getting any parts needed.

I did beep at a Girly in a white VR4 on the N7 a while ago.

omar
07-11-2007, 11:53 AM
Yep dat was the missus.

Been on to ray o briens they haven't got the punp needed to do the ayc and their also telling me the cost for the fluid if they did have it is ......... €90 a litre!!! they have no problem though doing the gearbox and transfer fluids.

MPBVr4
07-11-2007, 12:08 PM
Try this link http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13815

Amsoil is the best. Service is great. I ordered some last week and was delivered to me by 9 o'clock the next day.

Alex
08-11-2007, 07:20 PM
Hi and welcome to the club - good to hear you've found it useful :)

wardex
08-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Hi i'm getting my vr4 next week will be back for some info if you dont mind ,vr4 still on the boat getting itchy feet , see you soon matt

miller
08-11-2007, 10:22 PM
Id say the Legnum's are very rare back home, im back for a wedding at the end of this month, hopefully in the Legnum depending on the ferry prices!

Welcome.

Newbie myself /rally

Originally from Navan myself! 7 years living in the UK

Mike

Roberto
10-11-2007, 03:59 PM
The IRISH VR4 family is slowly growing.

Any help or advice needed, these guys are great.

Maybe we might even meet up some day.

I've been to Santa Pod to a club meet, very nice group of bods indeed.:afro:

amsoil
10-11-2007, 05:40 PM
Just a word about octane booster .... I have some experience of it as my race car needs 102 octane! There are many manufacturers of the stuff and in different forms, concentrations quantities etc. I have had good results from Royal Rurple but did find that having to buy 5 gals of the stuff at about £ 300 was an expensive way to go + its really nasty stuff with a toluene base. I have tried Millers (which didn't work for me) pro boost (very marginal and nasty stuff) to name just a couple. One it tried and appeared to work came in a plastic white bottle with red writting but was so really nasty, strippinh off paint if you split it and with warning about it being carcenogenic and making any future babies (if any) have 3 + heads...... you get the idea) that I finally left it on the shelf where it is sweating through the walls of its plastic container.
Bottom line is that there are many ways of making fuel ; the likes of BP shell and all will always make the fuel to the required octane rating in the cheapest possible way using the most cost effective formula, this will change as prices change making different chemicals more cost effective.
Octane boosters have an active component be it toluene ferosene MMT even xylene etc. If the particular brew of petrol you have is low in an area which your booster has as the active ingredient then you are in luck and can in extreme cases gain 6 or seven octane. If the brew happens to be saturated in what your octane booster has as the acive ingredient then the gains , if any, will be small.
Bottom line is that with petrol varying in composition from company to company and even from the same garage from one tank to the next you have no base line at all. Yes octane boosters work, but only for a couple of points really and don't rely on them. For my money, even though Amsoil do a very good booster which I have never seen do badly in any test, I put my hand in my pocket and buy some very expensive 110 or 112 racing fuel and use it percentage wise to up the octane of the freash optimax. it works for me but is a clumbersome way of doing it but I have an expensive engine with no ECU retard on ignition to steer clear of the dreaded knock.

omar
12-11-2007, 10:40 PM
Hi Matt, congradulations on your pending arrival! Give us a shout whenever you like and let us know when it lands would like a look maybe post some pics?

omar
12-11-2007, 10:43 PM
The IRISH VR4 family is slowly growing.

Any help or advice needed, these guys are great.

Maybe we might even meet up some day.

I've been to Santa Pod to a club meet, very nice group of bods indeed.:afro:

The first meeting of the Irish branch of Club VR4 sounds good doesn't it!! This is one we should make happen.

Yeah were in the same neck of the woods so no probs meeting up.

GAZHUS
12-11-2007, 11:41 PM
I have a Legnum on a 2002 plate, i have heard they are easy to register in Ireland, is this true? and how much are they worth in Ireland

Nutter_John
12-11-2007, 11:44 PM
Gaz , stop being a pratt and read the answers people have given you on the other threads .

You have a car that is worthless as you can not get it registered in the UK , as for the car going to Ireland it will still cost a lot

richy rich
12-11-2007, 11:46 PM
Gaz , stop being a pratt and read the answers people have given you on the other threads .

You have a car that is worthless as you can not get it registered in the UK , as for the car going to Ireland it will still cost a lot
What do you mean John/Handbag

Nutter_John
12-11-2007, 11:48 PM
Think you know what I mean Richy :p :D

richy rich
13-11-2007, 12:04 AM
Yes i do /haz

omar
13-11-2007, 08:56 PM
They fetch much the same here as in the uk maybe slightly more ,to be honest i think they are very under priced as a rule a lot of car for not a lot of cash. let me just clear something up ,u have this car over two years and have done nothing with it not even a few phone calls to check it out . if its the right car at the right price might suit a track day car for someone. nudge nudge wink wink

The Vee
14-11-2007, 02:19 AM
An Irish CVR4 meet? I like the sound of that........never been before..........

miller
14-11-2007, 07:49 PM
An Irish CVR4 meet? I like the sound of that........never been before..........

I looked into organising a meet in Ireland for GTOUK, the prices of the ferrys put most people off. Even with groupd discount the ferry rarely dropped below £170 return!

So all we need is the captain of Irish Ferries or Stena line to drive a Legnum and be a VR4 member! Too much to ask?

Captain are you there?

:runkest:

Mike

The Vee
14-11-2007, 08:00 PM
Wow ..........that's expensive

omar
15-11-2007, 03:18 PM
We may watch out for stena/irish ferries next special offer if that's the case i think they do one every 10 yrs or so,lol!!

miller
15-11-2007, 04:44 PM
Every ten years!!!! Im over on tuesday for a week and its costing me £200 big ones, okay its coming back on the fast ferry but hell its expensive!

Mike

Roberto
15-11-2007, 08:50 PM
Thats one of the reasons I've only made it to one Cleb Meet.

But the time is getting close for another.

Hope fully with the Irish contingent in tow......./rally