PDA

View Full Version : AT trans slipping...help procedure!

JJVR4DominicanRepublic
03-11-2007, 12:15 AM
Hey mates! This is officialy my first post so let me introduce myself... My name's JJ. I've been a member since almost a year and recently paid the subcription for full access.I live in the Dominican Republic , an Island south of the USA in the warm waters of the caribbean. I am one of four happy and proud owners of this awesome machine called VR4. I have done almost every upgrade possible except getting bigger turbos, will post later on my profile the details...

OK NOW THE ISSUE:

About 4 months ago my gearbox started slightly slipping sometimes on full throttle from 1st to 2nd. Since I had this car imported from Japan 1year 2months ago with 52,000km , I don't know which of the required services have been done(by the way , I changed from RHD to LHD !! :P). So I decided to flush the trans oil and refilled with mitsu's required oil plus an additive. in a matter of 2 days my car was fine.

Now it's slipping again and this time is worse. From 1st to 2nd BIG slip, from 2nd to 3rd it kinda hits 3 times then from 3rd to 4th an 4th to 5th small slip. I know that I have to rebuild the trans, meaning I need to change all the "clutch disks"(donno name), change the oil completely , seals , ETC.

The thing I want to know is where I can buy this "rebuild kit" and the parts I need exactly. Remember that mitsubishi here in DR does not import this car so they dont have the required parts for this job. Please help he out with this:
1. place to buy and
2. required parts.

Thanks a lot mates. Cheers!

Here is a picture of my baby. will post some later on profile ;)

Nick Mann
03-11-2007, 12:25 AM
Welcome to the club!

An incorrect ATF spec will make your issues worse. I have had similar issues with my car and there are two things worth saying:

1. Use Amsoil ATF. It isn't cheap, but it solved my problems which sound very similar to yours. The mitsubishi fluid might be as good, but I doubt it, and in the UK it is as expensive if not more so. A slightly different fluid (eg Dexron III) will not work in a less than perfect box.

2. Don't unplug the battery! The gearbox ecu settings get lost and it resets to standard settings. The ecu can cover up some problems in the gearbox as it learns the way it changes gear and compensates, but in my car this can take a thousand miles or more after the ecu has been reset. Taking the battery out of my car is a last resort!

If you do go down the re-build route, then this thread might help - but I have had no experience of the company except what is printed here:
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14332

Kieran
03-11-2007, 12:50 AM
If you need gearbox spares, then www.camskill.co.uk is also a good website. Contact them by email and give them your chassis number and they should be able to find the parts you need. I have a copy of the Mitsubishi parts system (CAPS) and there are kits available. You can buy 'Clutch Packs' and 'Seal Kits' I think.

JJVR4DominicanRepublic
03-11-2007, 01:51 AM
Hey nick, thanks. But I am using the amsoil Dexron II already... :S and about the ECU , DEFINETELY CORRECT ! I did unplug the battery and it took a couple of weeks for it to go back to normal, the shifting was about 70% worse at the time.

Nevman
03-11-2007, 02:02 AM
Hi JJ

One word od clarification:
AMSOIL is not DEXRON II. These are two different products. Amsoil is a high spec 3rd party oil, DEXRON II is Mitsi spec and Mitsi supplied fluid (as far as I am aware).
Change to Amsoil incl. flush and that may solve your problems.
Search for "Amsoil" or check here http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10125 for more info.

JJVR4DominicanRepublic
03-11-2007, 02:03 AM
Thnx Kieran. Great link!

d i c k i e s
03-11-2007, 02:13 AM
anymore pics of the car? looks good. rhd to lhd... wow, think thats a first ive heard of. besides the american ones (USDM)?

JJVR4DominicanRepublic
03-11-2007, 06:41 AM
thnx for clearing that up newman. my mistake. I am using mitsi's Dexron II and will use AMSOIL after the rebuild. Though I must add that here is summer all year long, thats precisely why I installed a BIG ARSE trans cooler between the intercooler and the radiator ;)

JJVR4DominicanRepublic
03-11-2007, 06:49 AM
anymore pics of the car? looks good. rhd to lhd... wow, think thats a first ive heard of. besides the american ones (USDM)?

Thanks mate, I will post some more pics tomorrow to get your opinion. And yes , the car was converted to LHD , I know its kinda hard to believe but I bet that If you get in the car you wouldnt notice just one thing, other than my seat not having all the "driver's seat controls" and my turning signal and wiper switches are as they would be on a RHD (inverted for me). the car is JDM it must NEVER be compared what americans call a galant, believe me, its embarrasing /pan

bradc
03-11-2007, 07:55 PM
Dexron II is NOT the best stuff out there.

I would suggest that you replace the oil with Amsoil ATF making sure you get the stuff that is compatible with mitsi SP3 oil, and reset your battery at the same time, and then see what happens.

JJVR4DominicanRepublic
05-11-2007, 06:47 AM
will do , thanks !

d i c k i e s
05-11-2007, 10:45 PM
pics?

JJVR4DominicanRepublic
09-11-2007, 05:23 PM
interior pic. Later on I will post on my profile all the detailed pics. Cheers!