PDA

View Full Version : Manual Or Auto

tjw964
03-11-2007, 01:49 AM
Hi
It's problem time folks.
Sorry about this, especially on a first post.

I am thinking about getting a Legnum for use on the Nurburg Ring. My debate, Manual or Auto.

I have owned one before, so understand the car. It was an auto with lowered suspension and a few other mods. Never tracked it though. I was told that the gear box was better suited to the power in one of the 2 options (man vs auto), but can't remember which was was best.

Any views ?

Cheers
Trevor
/rally

Beastlee
03-11-2007, 10:31 AM
There are a number of threads covering the subject on here, although not necessarily relating to tracking the car. The search function is your friend in this case, do it quick before another /catfight /pan /boxing :furious3: :rifle: breaks out. /haz

Nick Mann
03-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Regular tracking with an auto box can lead to fluid overheating, which can also lead to premature gearbox failure. That's not to say don't do it! Just make sure the car is prepared for it - good quality fluid and an additional cooler normally do the trick.

As Lee says, there are lots of discussions on the forums for you to search on and wade through. However I think it is fair to say if your intention is to spend a lot of time on the track, manual could well have a good advantage over auto, being more controllable and getting more power to the wheels. It will also be more demanding to drive though!

Nick Mann
03-11-2007, 11:16 AM
This post has been made by a more informed person than me!

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=286966&postcount=46

Oh, and I never said welcome in my previous post! /Welcome

tjw964
03-11-2007, 01:03 PM
Being contentious always gets fast responses. Thanks guys! :iloveyou:
(and sorry for asking a question which was bound to have been asked before)

As you say, manual more involving, more control and more work.
Also the issue of heating up fluids.

My real question is ... Is the manual suited to this car?

I seem to be getting the feedback from this site that the VR4 is essentially an EVO under a family styled skin. If this is so, then enough EVO's have been sold with a manual to answer that question.

PS- Anyone else stripped one out for the track, i.e. empty, buckets/harnesses, rollcage, etc.

This car will NOT be used as a normal road car. It is just for a Ring toy!

Bye, /rally

Rambaud
03-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Although I prefer the Tip 'box, I would think a manual would be better for the track.

Beastlee
03-11-2007, 03:04 PM
I think Derek (SGHOM) may be the man to offer advice on the track side of things, he and tracks are very good friends.

Like Nick I forgot to welcome you./Welcome2

Axeboy
13-11-2007, 07:24 PM
Ive owned both..

I think the auto is better.

Some will say otherwise, but i find the manual too short geared.

Its better for track and modding maybe, but everyday driving id go with the auto.

bradc
13-11-2007, 07:29 PM
I think the auto is better for cruising as well. On the weekend I had my first real long aggressive drive in a manual on about 60km's of winding roads, and I can say that without a doubt the manual is better when you're pushing it hard.