PDA

View Full Version : Engine mounts.

thehedgepig
04-11-2007, 01:12 PM
Going to replace mine in the next couple of weeks. Do I have to buy the OE Mitsi ones or are there pattern or performance ones available?

As usual, thanks in advance etc.....

Ryan
04-11-2007, 01:40 PM
Whilst on the subject of engine mounts, are these required to be replaced after certain mileage, or only when something goes awry?

My cars' done 83 000 miles. What are the symptoms if they need replacing?

Cheers.

Robotnik123
04-11-2007, 02:31 PM
Whilst on the subject of engine mounts, are these required to be replaced after certain mileage, or only when something goes awry?

My cars' done 83 000 miles. What are the symptoms if they need replacing?

Cheers.

From memory, I've had 3 or 4 mounts replaced on my VR-4, which had done about 70,000kms at the time. I heard a clunking sound under acceleration, especially on a gear change, so I had the mechanic check it out and he said the mounts were shot, so had them replaced. I believe VR-4s are quite prone to mounts going.

I've heard that you can save a bit of money by instead of replacing the mounts, getting them injected with polyurethane. In NZ the chain of Pitstop stores will do it, apparently. Anyone know the details on this?

peter thomson
04-11-2007, 02:49 PM
PRO SHOP IIDA supply uprated ones that you should be able to obtain through RHD if you send them an email

http://www.ps-iida.co.jp/

Ryan
04-11-2007, 04:47 PM
Thanks again for the info

Eurospec
05-11-2007, 10:08 AM
The prop mounts sometimes get quite a bit of play in them, or they get a whack from a speed bump which bends then backwards.

The front and rear mounts are prone to going but fortuneatly they are easy to change.

The cambelt side bount and the gearbox mounts normally dont tend to get such a beating.

When they are gone you get things like nast vibration that makes it feel like the whole car is shaking. When they start to go you get specific shakes at certain speeds or certain conditions.

To check the mount condition, get a friend and sit with the bonnet up. Put the car in first and try to drive away. Even better if you can do it on a hill or against the hand brake. Get you friend to observe the engine movement for you. A little is normal. More than an inch or so and the mounts are getting tired.

Cheers,

Ben.