PDA

View Full Version : de-cat pipe

stu1888
04-11-2007, 04:47 PM
does anyone know what size of de-cat pipe i will need for a fubushi(something like that should have wrote it down when i was under the car) exhaust that is on my car, or is it a case of just measuring it the best i can.....

:afro:

TAR
04-11-2007, 05:40 PM
That'll be a Fujitsubo exhaust then!

No idea what size it is though!

Gly
04-11-2007, 07:34 PM
2.5" at the stock headers end (if you still have them)
and 3" at the FUJITSUBO end

stu1888
06-11-2007, 07:40 PM
cheers but do you think one off ebay will do they are 65mm or 75mm not sure what one to get ant idea guys

VR4 MAD
07-11-2007, 01:15 AM
2.5" at the stock headers end (if you still have them)
and 3" at the FUJITSUBO end

WARNING, there's a trap for young player here...................the engine end of the Fujitsubo is 2.5" not 3". /Hissy The Fujitsubo pipe necks down just prior to the flange from 3" to 2.5".

Below is a picture to illustrate what I mean......................

Now there are different types and specifications of Fujitsubo exhausts available, so you will need to have a look see whether yours does this or not. Gly may well be right for other examples of the Fujitsubo exhaust, but you will need to check.

Let us know what you find and whether yours does reduce to 2.5" or not.

I am thinking of getting the pipe cut and a new flange and very short extension made up to get the 3" right through, but that's on the "to do" list at the mo.................and it's a BIG list too /Grrr

/toycar

d i c k i e s
07-11-2007, 03:34 AM
what else is on your list wynn?
do share!

Kenneth
07-11-2007, 03:55 AM
I am thinking of getting the pipe cut and a new flange and very short extension made up to get the 3" right through, but that's on the "to do" list at the mo.................and it's a BIG list too /Grrr

/toycar

You may find it cheaper (if you want a SS flange) to get the flange bored out. An engineer should be able to do it fairly cheaply (free if you know them well enough :) ) mine took my step father about 10 mins to do. Apparently one of his first jobs was boring out flanges :P

What I am going to do is make a SS 3" decat and use V-Band flanges on one or both of the ends. probably wont be SS v-band flanges though.

VR4 MAD
07-11-2007, 05:46 AM
You may find it cheaper (if you want a SS flange) to get the flange bored out. An engineer should be able to do it fairly cheaply (free if you know them well enough :) ) mine took my step father about 10 mins to do. Apparently one of his first jobs was boring out flanges :P

Yes, you're right, I was a bit quick to say "new flange" when I was already considering just getting the existing S/S Fujitsubo flange bored out as you suggest. Will still need to get the existing 3" pipe section extended though, to make up for the small reducing piece that will need to be removed.

What I am going to do is make a SS 3" decat and use V-Band flanges on one or both of the ends. probably wont be SS v-band flanges though.

Why V-band connections? What's the advantages? Obviously ease of removal maybe, but bolts aren't that hard to undo are they? Especially if removed yearly for emissions or noise testing as part of the WOF. That is the reason you're considering the V-band isn't it?

Don't flanges with gaskets, give a better seal than a slip-on connection and clamped with the V-band? Or have you some other super sneaky connection type in mind? :bananadan Do tell..............

/toycar

Gly
07-11-2007, 06:28 AM
my fgk system is 3" on the cat end, not 2.5" the one you pictured,

the advantage with the v-bands are you dont have to get flange bolt holes to line up prefectly,

and you can get a just as good seal if not better than the standard 2 bolt type flange

CANDEE
07-11-2007, 09:20 AM
Ive still got dibs on your current de-cat pipe eh Wynn?? :P

The Vee
08-11-2007, 07:13 PM
Not wanting to sound like a killjoy, but be careful with de-cats. Yes they do help performance a little, but I'm thinking more in terms of those roadside sniffing machines which I'm told are being used more often.

stu1888
08-11-2007, 11:02 PM
what would you recomend then ,,,,, a race cat and if so are they just as good??/??

dont want to be on the wrong side of the law again .........lol

peter thomson
08-11-2007, 11:05 PM
Not wanting to sound like a killjoy, but be careful with de-cats. Yes they do help performance a little, but I'm thinking more in terms of those roadside sniffing machines which I'm told are being used more often.

They were using those in Aberdeen earlier this year.