PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the MAF wire?

I-S
06-11-2007, 02:01 PM
Just a case of unbolt everything and squirt the (cold) MAF wire with some brake/carb cleaner?

psbarham
06-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Just a case of unbolt everything and squirt the (cold) MAF wire with some brake/carb cleaner?

i asume you mean the hotwire sensor? in which case we don't have one, ours works off of frequency changes or summink:vulcan:

Kenneth
06-11-2007, 09:29 PM

No, do not do this!

The MAF works by using a oscillating "mirror" which is driven of pressure changes in the pressure directing chambers in the sides of the centre post in the MAF.

The MAF then has a light (led or some such) and a photo transistor which gets switched by the oscillation of the mirror.

If your MAF works, then it should be fine. You could borrow someone else's to test it, but carb/brake cleaner will not help you and might damage the sensor.

The wire bit you can see in the MAF is the intake air temp sensor.

I-S
06-11-2007, 09:50 PM
So much for that idea then...

Kenneth
06-11-2007, 10:06 PM
So much for that idea then...

To be honest (in my opinion) if you are having trouble with your GDI, you aught to think about getting rid of it. It took me 2 years of frustration and spending lots of time with the mechanic for me to throw in the towel.

apparently once they start playing up, diagnosing the exact fault is just so difficult (and expensive) as there is so much to go wrong.