PDA

View Full Version : Front lower (rear) suspension arm

unclepete
07-11-2007, 11:24 AM
I need some help (as always!) - the hearse was needing some suspension parts when I bought it (apparently I bought it while applying a lot of pressure) so we took them off my white Ambu. However, now I need to fit a new engine to the white one so I need to replace these suspension arms so it can move.

The one I really need costs around £180 from Mitsu according to my mate, who is doing the work on the car. It is front offside and it is the rear one of the two lower arms - I believe it is the bent one of the two (!).

Does anyone know where I can get one cheaper? I'm buying an engine from Mo, and don't have any money left to spend another few hundred quid.

Much obliged, thanks in advance.

Nick Mann
07-11-2007, 11:36 AM
I don't know, but what about Camskill?

Or could you replace the bushes on the arm? Search this site for pro poly to get a good thread about bushes.

Nutter_John
07-11-2007, 11:38 AM
Camskill sell em a lot cheaper , but there was a place in Germany that PSB and Dr SheepLove used ( altough some poor results were seen )

KHK
07-11-2007, 01:31 PM
if u can wait, i would have suspension parts for the rear as i am going to break the rear portion of my facelift legnum

Davezj
07-11-2007, 01:52 PM
isn't that the arm that gets replaced under the recall. have you had them done.

Kieran
07-11-2007, 02:11 PM
Camskill sell em a lot cheaper , but there was a place in Germany that PSB and Dr SheepLove used ( altough some poor results were seen )

I wouldn't recommend them. Bern, PSB and myself have all used them - Whilst their service can't be faulted, the product can - they're just built well enough and all three of us have had trouble.

unclepete
07-11-2007, 02:49 PM
isn't that the arm that gets replaced under the recall. have you had them done.

I've had them done on both sides, thanks. I ain't no expert but this is for the front right of the car (so your rear part of the car is no good but thanks anyway KHK). Of the suspension arms, this is the rear of them, which is bent, as opposed to the one that attaches it to the front, which is straight.

Hope that makes more sense now..?! I'm confused though...

I'll ask my mechanic friend about the bushes option.

Right now though, I'm actually thinking of breaking it. Do you think there is a market for this? It's in perfect nick other than the engine block. I just can't bring myself to break it up.

KHK
07-11-2007, 05:25 PM
when i drive the vr4 legnum, i think it is ok
when i break the front part such as the suspension, low arm, it looks ok
The car is a fresh import, don't know its maintenance history in Japan except the oil change labels found on the chassis
it is fine if u don't need it
good luck in your search

Nick Mann
07-11-2007, 05:53 PM
If it is a nice car, it should be worth more in one piece than in bits. There's not much in it at the moment, though! If it is costing £2k to fix it and it is only worth £3k fixed, then don't bother. If it is costing £500 to fix and it is worth £5k fixed, then fix it!

Most people who have broken VR4's seem to reckon on around £2k for bits, but the engine is often a fair portion of that. If you are cute with an approach, you may get more for it in bits, but it's probably going to be a lot more work than fixing it!

Beastlee
08-11-2007, 09:49 PM
the hearse was needing some suspension parts when I bought it (apparently I bought it while applying a lot of pressure)

There was never any pressure and the duress wasn't attributed to you. It was in relation to the requirement to sell, not the buyer.

Just wanted to clarify ;)

DickBarton
30-11-2007, 07:30 PM
Pete, I think I'm also looking for replacement suspension arm things...let me know as we may be able to get a deal on a bulk buy of 2 sets!!!

pitslayer
04-12-2007, 04:21 PM
i bought one for my old galant, from my local motor factors, was 110 quid, but mine was only a V6 not a VR4, but i dont think they were different. same ones were used on the blue galant, also a V6 and they are still fine :)

bernmc
06-12-2007, 07:01 PM
Listen to the RedHead! Do not buy alternate suspension arms. If you do a search, you'll find plenty of info on the camskill and german alternatives - they're half the price of mistsi stuff, but last about a quarter of the time that the genuine bits do!

You'll be an expert at replacing them in no time at all because you'll be replacing them again in a couple of months...

There is currently no cheap option for these, and boy will the cheap ones bugger up the handling.

psbarham
06-12-2007, 07:18 PM
Listen to the RedHead! Do not buy alternate suspension arms. If you do a search, you'll find plenty of info on the camskill and german alternatives - they're half the price of mistsi stuff, but last about a quarter of the time that the genuine bits do!

You'll be an expert at replacing them in no time at all because you'll be replacing them again in a couple of months...

There is currently no cheap option for these, and boy will the cheap ones bugger up the handling.

bravo bravo , well said

to put the qaulity of the cheapys into perspective i fitted a pair of camskill arms in jan this year for its mot, by march the 24th i had to email camskill because both sides had filled with water and seized, bearing in mind i only use the car at the weekends these arms had failed within a maximum of 1500 miles :o i got them freed off with a lot of swearing and some wd40, i then repacked both sides with grease and all was fine for about 3 weeks when they had seized again, so i removed them again and noticed that when the joint moves the gattor protecting the joint stretchs and lets water and grit in. i emailed camskill again pointing this out, they offered to check the arms for me if i posted them to them, this would then leave me without transport for at least a month, not good when you live in the middle of nowhere.
i have now fitted a grease nipple to each balljoint and every 6 weeks or so i pump a bit of grease into each one, this so far has stopped the problem, but i kinda get the feeling it won't be for long /Grrr